PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Timberwolves - Nov. 30

timvp
11-30-2007, 11:58 PM
These are the types of games that help you prepare for the playoffs. The Spurs were sleepwalking against the Minnesota Timberwolves for nearly the first three quarters before they flipped the switch defensively and destroyed the T’Wolves. While the sleepwalking aspect wasn’t nice to see, it made the Spurs buckle down and only play perfect basketball to get the win.

The score was 80-66 with 1:24 seconds to go in the third quarter. The Spurs ended up winning 106-91. For those without a calculator handy, that’s was a 40-11 run to end the game. How did that happen? I’ll get more into that later.

As far as the Timberwolves, I was really impressed by Al Jefferson. Offensively, at only 22-years-old, Jefferson has some of the best footwork I’ve ever seen for a bigman that age. On defense, he has a long ways to go but Jefferson has the ability to be really, really good. There is a bit of other talent on the Minnesota roster but no one really stands out as the second star next to Jefferson.

-Tim Duncan was quiet for much of the game until Mark Madsen made the mistake of waking him up. Madsen authored a couple hard fouls that Duncan took exception to. After a Duncan technical for jawing at Madsen, Duncan took his game up another level. Finishing with 20 points, 14 rebounds and four assists, Duncan had one of his better outings of the year -- especially in the second half of the game.

-Manu Ginobili was spectacular. He’s had some great games this year but this might have been his best. The first thing you look at when you see his stat line is his 31 points on 11-of-16 shooting from the field and 7-of-9 shooting from beyond the three-point line. While his scoring was really, really nice, it was his defense that sparked the 40-11 run to end the game. When the T’Wolves put a lineup with no real point guard on the court, Pop countered by putting Ginobili at point guard. Ginobili pressured the ball and just destroyed Minnesota’s offense single-handedly. For the game, Ginobili had an astounding plus/minus of +35. But even that number doesn’t really indicate how huge he was this game. If Ginobili can bring that level of defense consistently and stay that aggressive offensively, he could become one of the very best players in the league.

-Tony Parker’s stats look good. He had 17 points, nine assists and four rebounds, and has now had at least seven assists in seven consecutive games and nine out of his last ten games. However, I wasn’t really impressed with how he played. He was a bit sloppy and wasn’t getting the team into their offense well enough. His plus/minus of -3 was a bit indicative of his struggles. That said, I do have to give him props for his passing. He’s done one of the most impossible things a basketball player can do – improve his court vision. No longer can someone say Parker can’t pass or doesn’t see the court well. Outside of Steve Nash and Jason Kidd, I’m not sure there are many other point guards who are passing the ball as well as Parker is right now. His chemistry with Ginobili and Brent Barry specifically is through the roof.

-Bruce Bowen was all over the court tonight. He didn’t have one specific target to shut down, so he switched from everyone from Jefferson to Sebastian Telfair defensively. He was basically just the human fire extinguisher tonight. Whoever got hot, he went and cooled them off. Offensively, he had ten points, including a couple of the biggest shots of the game when the Spurs were making their run. His plus/minus of +20 was better than any other starter.

-Fabricio Oberto had a decent game. He had eight points and hit 4-of-5 shots from the field. On the season, he’s now shooting 63.9% from the floor. The problem for Oberto tonight was the fact that the opposing bigman he was guarding was oftentimes a three-point shooter and Oberto was slow to rotate and put a hand up. The T’Wolves did a good job of exploiting Oberto’s lack of mobility on the perimeter. (Oh and I have to apologize to Oberto for jinxing him. After the last game, I pointed out that he had only three turnovers on the season and was leading the league in fewest turnovers per minute. Tonight, Oberto had two turnovers. My bad, Fabby.)

-One thing Michael Finley isn’t is afraid to shoot. He got up 11 field goal attempts in less than 23 minutes of action. The problem was Finley only hit one of those shots. He missed a bunch of jumpers, including all six of his three-point tries. It’s been ridiculous how streaky Finley has been of late. Too bad that much of that streak has been in the wrong direction. The good news for Finley is he’s doing a great job of not turning the ball over. He has only seven turnovers in 414 minutes this season, putting him in the top five in the league in fewest turnovers per minute. (I’ll apologize in advance.)

-After a substandard game from Brent Barry last time out, he turned it around this game and was one of the better players during the Spurs’ run to take control of the game. He finished with eight points, three assists and a big steal in 21 minutes of play. As I said earlier, he’s working really well with Parker right now. It seems like almost all of his three-pointers of late have come on passes from Parker.

-Francisco Elson wasn’t too bad this game. He had four points and three rebounds in 14 minutes of action. He had some of the same problems that Oberto did as far as not being able to defend the three-point line. He got pulled rather quickly in the second half after making a few mistakes. Overall, it was a better performance than what we usually have seen out of Elson the last couple of weeks.

-It’d be great of Jacque Vaughn wouldn’t try to do too much. There should never be a time that Vaughn brings the ball up and shoots a jumper without passing it to anyone. There should never be a time when Vaughn drives the lane and attempts a layup. Vaughn didn’t do much damage in his eight minutes of playing time but he hasn’t been very good lately at understanding his own limitations. He’s literally one of the worst finishers in the NBA, yet he drives the lane like he’s Tony Parker. Bring the ball up the court, pass it, get out of the way. Rinse. Repeat.

-Bonner got only six minutes of playing time but played pretty well. In plus/minus, he was a +10. He did a better job than the other bigs at closing out at the three-point shooters. However, he has apparently lost his spot in the rotation yet again, which is understandable since he hasn't played very well this season. And with Robert Horry back suited up and almost ready to go, Bonner better get used to the feel of the bench.

-Pop went into his bag of tricks to pull out this win. When the Spurs started off slow, he got a let-me-try-to-fire-up-my-team technical foul. When Duncan got pissed at Madsen, he made sure to keep Duncan involved and on the court (Duncan played a season-high 40 minutes). When the Spurs defense needed a spark, he put Ginobili on the ball and told him to apply pressure. And it wasn’t a mistake that the Spurs started their 40-11 run when Pop went small in the second half. The T’Wolves were torturing the Spurs’ bigmen on the perimeter. When Pop went small, Minnesota no longer had a weakness to attack. Overall, it was a nice win by the Spurs and it was the type of game that helps a team grow.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Good reads. :tu

-It’d be great of Jacque Vaughn wouldn’t try to do too much. There should never be a time that Vaughn brings the ball up and shoots a jumper without passing it to anyone. There should never be a time when Vaughn drives the lane and attempts a layup. Vaughn didn’t do much damage in his eight minutes of playing time but he hasn’t been very good lately at understanding his own limitations. He’s literally one of the worst finishers in the NBA, yet he drives the lane like he’s Tony Parker. Bring the ball up the court, pass it, get out of the way. Rinse. Repeat.

I agree with this 100 percent.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Great assessment as always. :tu

Tony Parker’s stats look good. He had 17 points, nine assists and four rebounds, and has now had at least seven assists in seven consecutive games and nine out of his last ten games. However, I wasn’t really impressed with how he played. He was a bit sloppy and wasn’t getting the team into their offense well enough. His plus/minus of -3 was a bit indicative of his struggles. That said, I do have to give him props for his passing. He’s done one of the most impossible things a basketball player can do – improve his court vision. No longer can someone say Parker can’t pass or doesn’t see the court well. Outside of Steve Nash and Jason Kidd, I’m not sure there are many other point guards who are passing the ball as well as Parker is right now. His chemistry with Ginobili and Brent Barry specifically is through the roof.

Exactly! And yet in the game thread some people are still bagging his passing!? Wake up, he has somehow improved a skill, court vision, that to most is unlearnable. Like adding to his finishing, improving his left hand, and adding a jumper, Tony has yet again added to his skillset this year, and more props to him! :tu

Mr. Body
12-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Tony Parker’s stats look good. He had 17 points, nine assists and four rebounds, and has now had at least seven assists in seven consecutive games and nine out of his last ten games.

My fantasy team sure appreciates it!

gospursgooo
12-01-2007, 12:17 AM
The good news for Finley is he’s doing a great job of not turning the ball over.

Finley turned the ball over by not hitting his shots!

milkyway21
12-01-2007, 12:19 AM
I read a paragraph of one article:

Mark Madsen spent much of the game upsetting Duncan. Madsen drew a foul on the nine-time All-Star with an Oscar-worthy flop following a light forearm to the chest in the first quarter in front of San Antonio's bench, angering coach Gregg Popovich to the point of drawing a technical foul.

In the third, Madsen was called for his fourth personal foul for some rough stuff around the basket involving Duncan, who got mad and directed an expletive at Madsen. Madsen walked away with his back turned, and Duncan was whistled for a technical.

Duncan had only two field goals over the first 31 minutes, but he warmed up and finished strong.
-----
somebody shld try upsetting Duncan more in their future games it brings more fire in him :lol

Manu was hot. This time I will curse the NBA if they won't try looking his way again for that 6th-man award. :D

AFBlue
12-01-2007, 12:21 AM
My fantasy team sure appreciates it!

Mine too...

And the points from Manu...

And the boards from Duncan.

whottt
12-01-2007, 12:24 AM
-Tony Parker’s stats look good. He had 17 points, nine assists and four rebounds, and has now had at least seven assists in seven consecutive games and nine out of his last ten games. However, I wasn’t really impressed with how he played. He was a bit sloppy and wasn’t getting the team into their offense well enough. His plus/minus of -3 was a bit indicative of his struggles. That said, I do have to give him props for his passing. He’s done one of the most impossible things a basketball player can do – improve his court vision. No longer can someone say Parker can’t pass or doesn’t see the court well.

I disagree with the take that Parker never showed signs of court vision or the potential to be a great passer...

Had you been a Spursfan in Parker's rookie season, you would have remembered him attempting nothing but pass his first few games in the NBA....and making some fantastic passes in the process. I remember Drob and Duncan being literally stunned to get the ball in perfect postion to score early early on in his career.

During the Kidd Parker wars, I always said Tony can pass and one day he would show that again. Because of the way he played early early on in his career...and I said it would probably be the last part of his game to be refined.

He's been playing like Pop wanted him too...Pop wants the PG's playing like ball hogs, that's why the one guy that doesn't play that way, Brent, is often at cross purposes with Pop.

There's a reason every PG we have plays like a ball hog...and it's because Pop wants it that way. He wants them to be scorers and agressive about taking it to the basket first...I can't think of very many times I have seen Pop yank a PG for playing that way....that's the telling fact right there.

My bad, Fabby.)

Hmm...is there some kind of announcement you need to make to the board(and Kori)?

-One thing Michael Finley isn’t is afraid to shoot. He got up 11 field goal attempts in less than 23 minutes of action. The problem was Finley only hit one of those shots. He missed a bunch of jumpers, including all six of his three-point tries

Translation: I hate Michael Finley for not playing like Brent Barry, and I hate Brent Barry for not playing like Michael Finley.

Got it :tu

AFBlue
12-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Finley turned the ball over by not hitting his shots!

When he's not hitting...those minutes can be long and painful.

What sucks the most is that he's the only option for Small Ball 4 on this team right now...and that is a set that Pop has been going to more and more.

With a guy like Finley, you just have to ride the wave because he's also one of the only guys that can hit a shot with defense draped all over him.

I just hope he's going to start streaking in the other direction soon.

Note: Streaking requires MORE than one game of solid shooting...which Finley has yet to accomplish this season.

whottt
12-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Finley is a volume shooter and always has been...he needs to take a lot of shots to score well. Sometimes he starts off hot...but that's not the norm for his career...generally he takes a bunch of shots and eventually he'll get on a steak and hit a bunch.

Volume scorers generally make crappy bench players IME as well, if that's all they can do.

FWIW...I'm glad Finley isn't trying to make a bunch of passes...because he sucks at it and has a bad handle.

timvp
12-01-2007, 12:31 AM
I disagree with the take that Parker never showed signs of court vision or the potential to be a great passer...Whose take was that?

Back when I was a Mavs fan during Parker's rookie season, I remembered him attempting nothing but pass his first few games in the NBA.Why'd you jump ship?

Hmm...is there some kind of announcement you need to make to the board(and Kori)?Fail.

Translation: I ... like Brent Barry, and I hate .... Michael Finley. Stunning.

:sleep

SequSpur
12-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Matt Bonner and Jacque Vaughn continue to be the shittiest players in the Western Conference. they have no business getting minutes in an NBA game.

timvp
12-01-2007, 12:38 AM
What sucks the most is that he's the only option for Small Ball 4 on this team right now.Bowen was playing the small ball 4 when the Spurs made their run in the fourth quarter.

Note: Streaking requires MORE than one game of solid shooting...which Finley has yet to accomplish this season.Finley had hit nine of this last 14 threes coming into this game. Or if you want to go back further, 17 of his last 33.

He was 0-for-6 tonight.

anakha
12-01-2007, 12:44 AM
One thing I noticed from the previous game and this one as well...

This is the second straight game that Parker has outrebounded Elson and Oberto. Not a good sign for the Spurs' centers. Should this be a cause for worry down the road?

mando6599
12-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Good. Thanks for that commentary again.

bdictjames
12-01-2007, 12:48 AM
One thing I noticed from the previous game and this one as well...

This is the second straight game that Parker has outrebounded Elson and Oberto. Not a good sign for the Spurs' centers. Should this be a cause for worry down the road?
I think its because Spurs play so much uptempo now than usual, and other teams play uptempo too than last year. I dont think this should be a cause though.. it sure is winning us games. If it aint broke.. :elephant

Then again Im just an average NBA fan. Not timvp lol..

Great thoughts! Nice to see Duncan finally get a double-double.

AFBlue
12-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Finley had hit nine of this last 14 threes coming into this game. Or if you want to go back further, 17 of his last 33.

He was 0-for-6 tonight.

Thanks for the Bowen correction. I'm actually relieved that Fin isn't the only small ball 4 to turn to.....not that Bowen instills much confidence with his lack of rebounding or inside game, but at least there's another option and he plays solid D.

On Finley...I was talking about his overall game. As you know, Finley isn't just a spot up 3pt shooter, but shoots many of his jumpers from the mid-range... either fadeaway off a screen or the side-step seperation move then pull up.

He's only gone over 50% three times this year and even in games where his spot-up three pointer was falling, those other shots he takes weren't (i.e. Loss to Sacto...he was 3-6 on 3pt but 0-5 on 2pt).

Amuseddaysleeper
12-01-2007, 12:59 AM
timvp, what'd you think of finley's D tonight?

xamila rey
12-01-2007, 01:04 AM
i am studying for finals, and i took a break to read your thoughts.
Thanks timvp!!!!
Do you think Pop put Manu as a pg because of Vaughn was not helping or just to change the strategy??

TMTTRIO
12-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Manu was pretty amazing tonight. I have noticed that Manu seems to have become somewhat consistant this season scoring wise. He's only had 1 night lately where he only scored in single digits. I wonder if he can continue to average about 19 ppg this season?

loveforthegame
12-01-2007, 01:14 AM
One of the knocks on Fin in Dallas when his shot wasn't falling is that he didn't do much of anything else be it defend, rebound, steals, etc... I'm too lazy right now but I'll have to look up to see how he's been in those areas on a bad shooting night.

I was happy with the 6 rebounds and 2 assists tonight. If he at least gives effort on that end I'm sure Pop is happy.

timvp
12-01-2007, 01:15 AM
timvp, what'd you think of finley's D tonight?Pretty good. He was rotating pretty well. Overall, this season he's been a lot better defensively than he was in his first two years with the Spurs.

i am studying for finals, and i took a break to read your thoughts.
Thanks timvp!!!!
Do you think Pop put Manu as a pg because of Vaughn was not helping or just to change the strategy??I think it was mostly due to matchups. The T'Wolves have two point guards: Marko Jaric and Sebastian Telfair. Jaric sprained his ankle earlier in the game so when Telfair went out, the T'Wolves put Greg Buckner at point guard. Buckner, whose natural position is probably small forward, is capable of posting up smaller defenders so putting Manu on him made more sense than Vaughn.

But with Manu pressuring Buckner, he killed whatever it was Minnesota was trying to do offensively.

xamila rey
12-01-2007, 01:21 AM
Gracias!

I think it was mostly due to matchups. The T'Wolves have two point guards: Marko Jaric and Sebastian Telfair. Jaric sprained his ankle earlier in the game so when Telfair went out, the T'Wolves put Greg Buckner at point guard. Buckner, whose natural position is probably small forward, is capable of posting up smaller defenders so putting Manu on him made more sense than Vaughn.
But with Manu pressuring Buckner, he killed whatever it was Minnesota was trying to do offensively.

Dex
12-01-2007, 01:32 AM
-Manu Ginobili was spectacular. He’s had some great games this year but this might have been his best. The first thing you look at when you see his stat line is his 31 points on 11-of-16 shooting from the field and 7-of-9 shooting from beyond the three-point line. While his scoring was really, really nice, it was his defense that sparked the 40-11 run to end the game. When the T’Wolves put a lineup with no real point guard on the court, Pop countered by putting Ginobili at point guard. Ginobili pressured the ball and just destroyed Minnesota’s offense single-handedly. For the game, Ginobili had an astounding plus/minus of +35. But even that number doesn’t really indicate how huge he was this game. If Ginobili can bring that level of defense consistently and stay that aggressive offensively, he could become one of the very best players in the league.

Also don't think its been noted that 7 three-pointers is also a new Career High for Ginobili. (Previous high was 6 on two occasions)

There's definitely been a noticeable improvement to Manu's longball this year, and a game like that can only boost a shooters confidence.

As much as Manu gets beat up the paint, him shooting lights out from the arc is like win-win for the Spurs. Gets the three points without the wear and tear...and the free throw.

2centsworth
12-01-2007, 01:55 AM
Also don't think its been noted that 7 three-pointers is also a new Career High for Ginobili. (Previous high was 6 on two occasions)

There's definitely been a noticeable improvement to Manu's longball this year, and a game like that can only boost a shooters confidence.

As much as Manu gets beat up the paint, him shooting lights out from the arc is like win-win for the Spurs. Gets the three points without the wear and tear...and the free throw.
maybe he spent time with Chip Englend.

urunobili
12-01-2007, 02:04 AM
Manu is rocking on guys.. i wish wish he stays healthy to keep this sweet run going...

BeerIsGood!
12-01-2007, 02:07 AM
Manu with 31 pts on 16 shots and only 2 free throws - that's damn efficient scoring. Remarkably efficient, video game style efficient. By comparison, Manu had 5 more fg attempts and 2 more ft attempts than Finley, but posted 29 more points.

The plus side to Finley was his defense and rebounding. 6 rebounds from Finley is pretty decent, but he has to start getting in a rhythm on his shooting from game to game. Not like he isn't getting choice looks.

Dex
12-01-2007, 02:26 AM
I'm not sure whats more amazing, the fact that he scored 31 points on 16 shots, or the fact that he only made 11 of them. I'm no mathematician or anything like that, but that's like 3 points a bucket. :dizzy Talk about efficient.

Also thought Barry deserved major props for this game. His stat line really doesn't reflect the impact he had on the game turning run. His threes also came at just the right time, one to tie the game after coming back from down 14, and another to help put the dagger in late. Game by game, Barry is slowly making a pitch for Finley's playing time.

Beno Udrih
12-01-2007, 02:36 AM
I'm not sure whats more amazing, the fact that he scored 31 points on 16 shots, or the fact that he only made 11 of them. I'm no mathematician or anything like that, but that's like 3 points a bucket. :dizzy Talk about efficient.

Also thought Barry deserved major props for this game. His stat line really doesn't reflect the impact he had on the game turning run. His threes also came at just the right time, one to tie the game after coming back from down 14, and another to help put the dagger in late. Game by game, Barry is slowly making a pitch for Finley's playing time.
:tu agreed on Barry.

urunobili
12-01-2007, 02:42 AM
Barry and Manu play with a great feeling for each other...

SenorSpur
12-01-2007, 02:59 AM
One of the knocks on Fin in Dallas when his shot wasn't falling is that he didn't do much of anything else be it defend, rebound, steals, etc... I'm too lazy right now but I'll have to look up to see how he's been in those areas on a bad shooting night.

I was happy with the 6 rebounds and 2 assists tonight. If he at least gives effort on that end I'm sure Pop is happy.

What was true in Dallas, is true in San Antonio. At this stage of his career, Finley is nothing more than a one-trick pony. He has been reduced to a perimeter jump-shooter only. It's so frustrating to see him out there clanging bricks off the rim. Even when he has a lane to go to the basket, he rarely does.

It's sad to watch because we all remember a time when Finley go take it to the basket and go "top-shelf".

I'm very happy Finley got his ring. But personally, I trust this is his last year in a Spurs uniform.

urunobili
12-01-2007, 03:16 AM
What was true in Dallas, is true in San Antonio. At this stage of his career, Finley is nothing more than a one-trick pony. He has been reduced to a perimeter jump-shooter only. It's so frustrating to see him out there clanging bricks off the rim. Even when he has a lane to go to the basket, he rarely does.

It's sad to watch because we all remember a time when Finley go take it to the basket and go "top-shelf".

I'm very happy Finley got his ring. But personally, I trust this is his last year in a Spurs uniform.
i actually dunno about that... he has fit so well in the organization that he may stick around in a job maybe not as a player but... assistant GM or something... his leadership contribution is priceless... i would want him on this team just as an example for new guys all the time

whottt
12-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Here's the deal about Barry and PT....while he still moves pretty well, he's 35 or something. I'm not hugely in favor of him getting a buttload of minutes all of a sudden. I do favor a consistent spot in the rotation...but I don't want to burn his legs so he has dead legs once we hit the playoffs...then his shot won't fall and we'll be in trouble...seen it happen before to old players with the Spurs. Barry has a lot to offer beyond shooting...but he's kind of finally made the conversion to spot up shooter and he's doing it well, so that part of his game needs to be protected.

So I like the rotation and minute distribution, Barry is playing well in his spot and the Spurs bench is kicking butt.

A few years ago I thought Barry had more to offer in terms of minutes than he was getting, plus I thought it would help his game...but at 35 and comfortable in this role, I don't see the need for a huge change in the minutes Barry and Finley are getting...definitely a game by game thing. Finley's bricks aren't hurting us so....if it aint broke don't fix it I always say.

Minutes rationing and bench roles for older players is defintely one of Pop's philosophies I agree with 100%.

slayermin
12-01-2007, 03:40 AM
How can anyone call the Spurs boring when you have a player like Manu Ginobili on your team?

Dude was amazing tonight.

BeerIsGood!
12-01-2007, 03:46 AM
How can anyone call the Spurs boring when you have a player like Manu Ginobili on your team?

Dude was amazing tonight.

I see you already have that clip of that sweet behind-the-back to himself followed by a no lookie to TP from last night's game. I like how he faked TP out with that first move, when he goes behind-the-back TP flinches and his hands flash up expecting the pass. :lol

roycrikside
12-01-2007, 04:52 AM
That said, I do have to give him props for his passing. He’s done one of the most impossible things a basketball player can do – improve his court vision. No longer can someone say Parker can’t pass or doesn’t see the court well. Outside of Steve Nash and Jason Kidd, I’m not sure there are many other point guards who are passing the ball as well as Parker is right now. His chemistry with Ginobili and Brent Barry specifically is through the roof.<<

I don't think most intelligent people here who've had problems with Parker's point guard play in the past ever accused of him not being a good passer or having poor court vision. The criticism was most often that he wasn't a willing passer. Tony's always been able to pass the ball and see the court pretty well. He had 12 assists by half time in a game against the Clips last year, took only one shot the whole half, and the Spurs had 65 points in the first 24 minutes. If the case was simply that he was a horrible passer, people I don't think would criticize him for it so badly. You can't rip people for things they physically can't do. People don't rip Tim for not having three point range and they don't rip Vaughn for not blocking more shots.

This year Tony seems to have taken his game to yet another level, combining the passing to go along with his scoring. I'm very impressed by how he's playing right now and really at this point, the only things he could do to improve his game would be to be more consistent from the line and on defense night after night.

Then again, those two things can be said about almost every Spur so far this year.

polandprzem
12-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Nawet mi sie spodobalo

wildchild
12-01-2007, 09:10 AM
...I don't think most intelligent people here who've had problems with Parker's point guard play in the past ever accused of him not being a good passer or having poor court vision. The criticism was most often that he wasn't a willing passer. Tony's always been able to pass the ball and see the court pretty well. He had 12 assists by half time in a game against the Clips last year, took only one shot the whole half, and the Spurs had 65 points in the first 24 minutes. If the case was simply that he was a horrible passer, people I don't think would criticize him for it so badly. You can't rip people for things they physically can't do. People don't rip Tim for not having three point range and they don't rip Vaughn for not blocking more shots...

I agree. The criticism it's just a means to an end? or it's an end in itself? in my opinion the criticism is unjustified.

SAGambler
12-01-2007, 09:40 AM

I've noticed that too. I never did care for JV. Seems he just scares the shit out of me when he has the ball. Now he thinks he's another TP junior. That is even scarier.

Please get DW back here by all star break to be our backup PG.

BTW, I notice DW tore up the D league last night.

timvp
12-01-2007, 10:02 AM

Dude was amazing tonight.That play in your avatar was pretty sick. Ginobili has some street baller in him he lets out every once in a while.

:hat

I don't think most intelligent people here who've had problems with Parker's point guard play in the past ever accused of him not being a good passer or having poor court vision.I'm not sure how long you've read the forum but there's been hordes of people throughout the years who have knocked Parker for his court vision and passing ability. That's probably been the biggest criticism of him since he entered the NBA. If I had a nickel for every time a Spurs fan said Parker wasn't a true point guard or was a poor passer, I'd have quite the collection of nickels.

I do think Parker is seeing the court a bit better this season but I've always thought he was a good passer. And compared to other point guards around the league, he's been great at knowing when to shoot and knowing when to pass. If he wasn't good at that, his field goal percentage wouldn't always be so high. Put Parker on a team that runs the offense through him, let's him play big minutes and puts him in more pick-and-rolls, and I'd say Parker's career assist average would be at least two or three assists higher.

For the record, I don't really care about Parker's assists. He's most helpful to the Spurs when he's scoring. Going into a game, if someone let me pick whether Parker would have 18 points and 10 assists or 30 points and 3 assists, I'd pick the 30 points each time. If Parker is scoring well, the Spurs become almost unbeatable. For example, last game against the Mavs, Parker had eight assists and one turnover yet the Spurs' offense was stagnant because Parker's scoring was off. The Spurs would have been better off if Parker would have scored 25 points and only had a couple of assists.

polandprzem
12-01-2007, 10:25 AM
I don't know how much you can imrove your court vision?
It depends on given talent. You have it or not.
But knowing the system and knowing the players you are playing with you can improve in the apect of understanding when the guy will be in which moment.

We all could see parkers progress and his work on the game. esp. great relations with Pop. Good that he is not only coach but he is a teacher. Plus as the years went by he gave him more freedome and Parker took advantage of this and Pop knew when to give him this freedome.

Umm all in all I wished that Parker was a better passer, but you take whats given. And I'm taking it as it is.

timvp
12-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Tim Duncan's technical last night was the first technical foul for anyone on the entire roster all season long. That's pretty amazing.

The Spurs are on pace to have five technicals this season. In the last two seasons, the Spurs have had 24 and 23 technicals. I guess they are even more "all business" than they've been in past years.

:nerd

diego
12-01-2007, 11:21 AM
didnt see this game, but what i've seen so far, parker almost looks like another player with the passes he is making. i dont really care about assists, i refer more to the type- and amount- of passes parker has been making. IMO before, it seemed parker's passes had a tendency to be a little off target, a little slow, but now i see he's making them harder and higher. and through traffic, before he was hesitant to make those kind of passes. i think he has more confidence and it really is a credit to tony the way he continues to improve year in year out.

bigfundamental21
12-01-2007, 11:36 AM
timvp, I look forward to your game thoughts and love your analysis. Thanks!

I agree that Barry has started to find his niche in the rotation. He has good court vision himself and when he and Manu are on the court together they really bring that strength out of each other.

As for Tony, he has improved every year and this year he seems to have really focused on making better passes. I know people knock him for not getting more assists, but with his quickness, he needs to also look to drive the lane to get layups. He is a great finisher at the rim and he can't just look away from that to get more assists. I think this season, he has become more well-rounded and has gotten a grasp on how to use his strengths.

It was good to see Timmy's aggressiveness in the second half. Mark Madsen always seems to get under his skin and when Timmy gets mad... look out!

And, then Manu. What more can you say about the man? His aggressiveness is at a new level this year. What a luxury we have to have a player of his caliber to come off the bench and ignite our team. I love to watch him go after the ball like it belongs to him only!

We did sleepwalk through the first part of the game and it was good to see the team respond and kick it up to the next level at the end. I just hope we don't always depend on that.

exstatic
12-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Tony is playing at such a high level now, and it is in part because Pop is actually letting him run the offense. Every play doesn't have to start with a post up to Tim, and Tim seems to be OK with it.

At 25, Seattle was trying to peddle Gary Payton because he couldn't shoot. At 25, Parker is a multiple All Star pick (by the coaches) and NBA Finals MVP with 6 full NBA seasons under his belt. These are great days we're livin', bros. The Spurs have 3 major All Star caliber weapons to throw at the opponent every night.

Bruno
12-01-2007, 11:51 AM
A reason why Parker's assist number is higher than usual is that Spurs are shooting really well. There are 3 Spurs in the top15 3p% with Barry at 52%, Bowen at 48% and Manu at 46%.

Improving his decision making skills has been a priority for Parker for years. It's still a work in progress because it's not something easy to do but he is improving steadily.

bdictjames
12-01-2007, 12:19 PM

Probably because Tony has done a better job setting up his teammates this year. He's done good to draw double teams and kick it out for the three.

spurster
12-01-2007, 12:35 PM
I like the thoughts except I don't think sleepwalking 3 quarters is a good way to get ready for the playoffs. This game was more like an episode of "let's see if we can turn the switch on and win this game, too". It's a long season so settle in for reruns.

Mr. Body
12-01-2007, 12:48 PM
i actually dunno about that... he has fit so well in the organization that he may stick around in a job maybe not as a player but... assistant GM or something... his leadership contribution is priceless... i would want him on this team just as an example for new guys all the time

Something tells me he'll get an Oberto-style two-year contract after this one. Not that I support it, but I see it.

freemeat
12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
ESPN highlights don't have any of the Duncan-Madsen scuffle. I didn't get to watch the game tonight, so does anyone know where I can see some of it?

slayermin
12-01-2007, 04:02 PM
I think I saw Pop yelling at Eddie F. Rush last night. It was nice to see that.

I thought the game was pretty physical. All of our big three took some tough shots from the T-Wolves. Manu and Tim especially got pissed and played with a chip on their shoulder the rest of the game.

slayermin
12-01-2007, 04:20 PM
That play in your avatar was pretty sick. Ginobili has some street baller in him he lets out every once in a while.

:hat

Here is another angle.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/slayermin/manu_deke_b.gif

Deimosfobos
12-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Here is another angle.

wow... just wow.

Txs Manu

Manudona
12-01-2007, 04:43 PM
And if that would've done by other non-Spurs player would've been the steal of the night, the assist of the night and the play of the night, compare it with each of the winners. Heck, it did not even make a top ten play!!! (in nba.com)

Indazone
12-01-2007, 04:47 PM
wow..an off balance behind the back dribble. He shoulda been stripped of that ball.

bdictjames
12-01-2007, 04:56 PM
And if that would've done by other non-Spurs player would've been the steal of the night, the assist of the night and the play of the night, compare it with each of the winners. Heck, it did not even make a top ten play!!! (in nba.com)
Then people would say Stern loves the Spurs too much.

I'd prefer Spurs'd not be in the top 10 everyday.. although I think they could.

Walter Craparita
12-01-2007, 05:06 PM
If Manu were on the Suns, Nash would be an afterthought.

And the Hate for Bonner continues. Losers.

Kent_in_Atlanta
12-01-2007, 05:07 PM
With a guy like Finley, you just have to ride the wave because he's also one of the only guys that can hit a shot with defense draped all over him.

Maybe you've seen something I haven't. I see him TAKE shots with defense draped all over him... but I haven't seen him make a lot of those shots. Seems like he only hits when he shoots in rhythm these days.

I see him frequently attempt mid-range fall-away jumpers... but I can't remember actually ever seeing one fall.

Don't get me wrong, I like Finley, but I just can't think of many instances where he's been able to connect with the defense all over him.

Phenomanul
12-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Here is another angle.

Sebastian Telfair elbowed Manu at the end of that play... it should have been an and-1.

BTW I don't know if this was mentioned, but I was impressed with the objectivity of the Timberwolves' TV analysts... they've been pretty much the least homeristic analysts I've heard in quite sometime. They had nothing but praise whenever the Spurs executed their plays...

AFBlue
12-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Maybe you've seen something I haven't. I see him TAKE shots with defense draped all over him... but I haven't seen him make a lot of those shots. Seems like he only hits when he shoots in rhythm these days.

I see him frequently attempt mid-range fall-away jumpers... but I can't remember actually ever seeing one fall.

Don't get me wrong, I like Finley, but I just can't think of many instances where he's been able to connect with the defense all over him.

Not lately, but he's made some big ones in the past. And the fact that he's not just a spot-up 3pt jumpshooter makes the defense respect the other pieces of his game...that is, if he's hitting those other shots.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. He's been VERY streaky of late...and not in a good way. His streakiness is actually one of the reasons I don't believe he'll be brought back after this season.

AFBlue
12-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Sebastian Telfair elbowed Manu at the end of that play... it should have been an and-1.

BTW I don't know if this was mentioned, but I was impressed with the objectivity of the Timberwolves' TV analysts... they've been pretty much the least homeristic analysts I've heard in quite sometime. They had nothing but praise whenever the Spurs executed their plays...

They had their moments...

They praised the offensive and defensive execution of the Spurs down the stretch, but at the same time they were VERY critical of the refs....in fact, they even suggested that the refs had determined the outcome of the game at one point.

Phenomanul
12-01-2007, 08:51 PM
They had their moments...

They praised the offensive and defensive execution of the Spurs down the stretch, but at the same time they were VERY critical of the refs....in fact, they even suggested that the refs had determined the outcome of the game at one point.

But that's because the refs screwed up on both sides... They made the comment your referenced only to follow by saying that the "Spurs could rise above all that."

duncan228
12-01-2007, 08:51 PM

I mentioned the same thing earlier in the game blog.
Having had LP for years, I've heard them all.
The Minny guys are okay by me.
I also like Kevin Calabro (sp?) of Seattle.

I can't stand the Boston and Miami callers, I usually end up muting them.

All color guys are homers, it's their job. But I appreciate it when they can give it up for the opponent and last night the Minny guys did so several times. They used the phrase "A thing of beauty" on a couple of Parker's moves and a few of Manu's.

The Truth #6
12-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Parker is passing very well and is including everyone on the team. For a good while it seemed like he could only pass to Timmay. For whatever reason before this season he didn't show much of his ability to distribute the ball. It's great to see that he's improving his long range shooting and passing at the same time, two things that seemed very unlikely a few years back. Perhaps he has enough confidence in his overall game (specifically his jump shooting) now and doesn't have to prove anything to himself. Who knows.

Madsen was a total goon out there last night (as was Sebastian to a lesser degree with Manu.) He has no skill other than elbows. Total football player mentality to the game. Madsen reminds me of that YMCA dude on the commercials who is always chasing Mamba around from arena to arena. I think Randy realized that Tim was going to foul him out within the next 3 minutes so he just kept him on the bench, which was probably for the best but it denied me the pleasure of seeing Tim work him over.

Overall, great game to pull out.