PDA

View Full Version : Would you hook a Slinbox at your place so i can Watch SAT TV?

urunobili
12-01-2007, 06:04 AM
Hey Guys...
I am looking for someone able to let me ship to it's place a slingbox so i can watch all Spurs game and if you have a league pass even better...
I would buy and ship it to your place...
Please let me know... this could be the difference for international fans to get to see all games... i appreciate everybody volunteering.. you can private message me if you want... so we work all details

urunobili
12-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Truly need your help guys

rasho8
12-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Sure, ship it to me I have full cable including the sports teir with NBA TV

I dont have the League pass, but I can hook it up to the HD box in my room. I barely use that one.

~Sweetmelody~
12-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Forgive me if I sound stupid, but what is Slinbox?

rasho8
12-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Forgive me if I sound stupid, but what is Slinbox?

He means a SlingBox, its a device you hook into your DVR and it allows you to control it from somewhere else and watch TV via the net on your TV, computer or mobile phone.

there is one hooked up at my sister house because she has NFL Network and the Sunday Pass or whatever its called, I can watch the football games if shes not using it to watch from somewhere else.

~Sweetmelody~
12-01-2007, 12:19 PM
He means a SlingBox, its a device you hook into your DVR and it allows you to control it from somewhere else and watch TV via the net on your TV, computer or mobile phone.

there is one hooked up at my sister house because she has NFL Network and the Sunday Pass or whatever its called, I can watch the football games if shes not using it to watch from somewhere else.

I see...
I think, lol

Okay, so if I have a SlingBox someone else can watch the game if I am not watching the game, or If I am not watching something else?

Thanks Rasho8, I just went to slingboxmedia and saw a video where it explains.

rasho8
12-01-2007, 12:47 PM
I see...
I think, lol

Okay, so if I have a SlingBox someone else can watch the game if I am not watching the game, or If I am not watching something else?

Thanks Rasho8, I just went to slingboxmedia and saw a video where it explains.

np :clap

MaNuMaNiAc
12-01-2007, 02:30 PM
I'd be interested in doing the same thing as urunobili here. Don't know exactly how it works but if anyone thinks its possible, and is willing, I'd pony up the cost of a Slingbox in a second. The thought of being able to watch EVERY game...

MaNuMaNiAc
12-01-2007, 02:45 PM
I imagine for this to work, the cost of league could be divided or something. Otherwise it doesn't really sound fair.

BeerIsGood!
12-01-2007, 02:51 PM
I imagine for this to work, the cost of league could be divided or something. Otherwise it doesn't really sound fair.

I'd be interested in helping a fellow Spurs fan out. I live in Dallas but have LP and NBA TV, so you'd basically get every NBA game. I'm pretty sure all I'd have to do is hook it up through my cable box and cable modem and it won't affect what I watch on my regular TV. I wouldn't make anybody pay for half of the LP, maybe just enough for a 12 pk of Dos XX for some games. If interested, let me know.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-01-2007, 02:55 PM
I'd be interested in helping a fellow Spurs fan out. I live in Dallas but have LP and NBA TV, so you'd basically get every NBA game. I'm pretty sure all I'd have to do is hook it up through my cable box and cable modem and it won't affect what I watch on my regular TV. I wouldn't make anybody pay for half of the LP, maybe just enough for a 12 pk of Dos XX for some games. If interested, let me know.
Hey, I'm interested. Problem is I get to see only what your tv is on at that moment. Meaning if for some reason you don't want to watch a Spurs game and I do. I'd be out of luck :lol

Still, sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. By the way, how much does a 12 pk of Dos cost?

BeerIsGood!
12-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Hey, I'm interested. Problem is I get to see only what your tv is on at that moment. Meaning if for some reason you don't want to watch a Spurs game and I do. I'd be out of luck :lol

Still, sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. By the way, how much does a 12 pk of Dos cost?

My cable box has two tuners and is a DVR, so if I'm not watching the Spurs live (which is 70% of the time during the regular season) I am always recording it to watch later. Since the DVR is recording the game there will always be one of the tuners on the Spurs when they play. As long as you could switch between the tuners you could get every Spurs game at least. I'm not exactly sure how the slingbox works, but if that's the case then you'd still be good for Spurs games.

A 12pk costs about 13 US Dollars.

urunobili
12-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Man... you guys there in texas have the possibility to make lots of us around the world SO happy.. i dunno if you realize how big this is... THANK YOU SO MUCH... this show how classy Spurs Fans are... thank you... for real

rasho8
12-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Man... you guys there in texas have the possibility to make lots of us around the world SO happy.. i dunno if you realize how big this is... THANK YOU SO MUCH... this show how classy Spurs Fans are... thank you... for real

Any time. After getting the specs on the slingbox it would be best if we set it up to my bed-rooms DVR. I basically use it as a jukebox anyway and never watch TV. I also dont record anything so you can just use it for Spurs games and record them if you want as well as watch them during your time while Im asleep or at work.

I also have a spare cablejack in my sunroom, so if you want I can just order an extra box, its only 10 bucks a month and set one up specifically for you in there.

Its up to you. Let me know what you want to do.

edit: Upon further research you would have to get a slingLink as well, my place is run on a wireless network. Sorry all my ports on the physcial router are used up in the computer setup I have.

~Sweetmelody~
12-01-2007, 05:17 PM
My cable box has two tuners and is a DVR, so if I'm not watching the Spurs live (which is 70% of the time during the regular season) I am always recording it to watch later. Since the DVR is recording the game there will always be one of the tuners on the Spurs when they play. As long as you could switch between the tuners you could get every Spurs game at least. I'm not exactly sure how the slingbox works, but if that's the case then you'd still be good for Spurs games.

A 12pk costs about 13 US Dollars.

This is the Same with my Cable box. I also have DVR and I have NBA League Pass, I will gladly help someone.

Cry Havoc
12-01-2007, 05:47 PM
wow, I would totally be interested in this. Sounds amazing.

urunobili
12-01-2007, 09:00 PM
If you purchase NBA League pass you can watch the games live on your computer so you don't need a sling box.

Just a username and password!

So when I'm not home I can watch the games anywhere there is an internet connection.

Also, When the game is over it is archived for 48 hours so I can watch later.

THe only games you can never see are the ones that are on TNT,ESPN or NBATV
That's why a Slingbox is way better.. plus.. it doesn't expires annually

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Just pointing this out - if you are going to use a Slingbox you will be using your download quota every time you watch a game, so you should have a lot of download quota otherwise you'll run out very quickly.

Also, the quality is highly variable, and I think it depends on the upload speed of the person with the slingbox. Below about 250kbps, the quality is very poor, 300+kbps the quality is okay, at 500+ it's good but you will use 0.5-1G of download quota to watch a game.

The absurdity here - WHY CAN'T FOREIGNERS PURCHASE LEAGUE PASS BROADBAND!? Adam, we would all buy league pass if it was offered outside the US but it is not. The NBA sucks arse when it comes to looking after foreign fans. :depressed

duncan228
12-01-2007, 11:37 PM
The absurdity here - WHY CAN'T FOREIGNERS PURCHASE LEAGUE PASS BROADBAND!? Adam, we would all buy league pass if it was offered outside the US but it is not. The NBA sucks arse when it comes to looking after foreign fans. :depressed

This doesn't make sense to me either, especially with Stern's "globalization" of the game.

The NBA could certainly offer League Pass, if it didn't make the money they think they need back from it they could always pull it.

I don't see how a season's trial could do anything but help them.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-01-2007, 11:49 PM
You guys should look at The HAVA box way better and wireless plus more then one person can watch at a time. HAVA beats up the slingbox bad.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Here is a link to HAVA http://www.myhava.com/ as soon as they get it running with my palm treo 755p I am getting one.

BeerIsGood!
12-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Here is a link to HAVA http://www.myhava.com/ as soon as they get it running with my palm treo 755p I am getting one.

Is it compatible with the iPhone or will it be soon?

Vinnie_Johnson
12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Is it compatible with the iPhone or will it be soon?

Yes it seems to be running with iphones I did a quick google. It works well with most phones they just haven't finished the new treo yet. I talked to them last week they told me it will be about two more months for the new treo.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-02-2007, 12:31 AM
This doesn't make sense to me either, especially with Stern's "globalization" of the game.

The NBA could certainly offer League Pass, if it didn't make the money they think they need back from it they could always pull it.

I don't see how a season's trial could do anything but help them.

It probably has something to do with IP rights, but the 5 letters I've sent to the NBA about it have been unanswered so who knows?

If they sold LP Broadband across the world they could make 100s of millions of fans happy and make lotsa $$$, but no, they're too stupid to work out a way to do it.

As someone who lives outside the US and finds it difficult to watch my team, I would've given up on the NBA long ago if I didn't love the Spurs so much.

boutons_
12-02-2007, 12:32 AM
When I watch my San Antonio Slingbox in a hotel San Diego CA, the Slingviewer will show the streaming bit rate varying between 600 Kbits/sec and abou 1,000 Kbits/sec. The audio is always good. 600 Kbits/sec is sufficient even if the image is a bit soft.

In my house, across Ethernet, I get 2500 Kbits/sec, really excellent quality, esp the digital channels. Analog channels (the Spurs games) are noticeably lower quality.

250 kbits/sec would probably be pretty bad.

I'm thinking about getting Hava Platinum which says it allows 5 remote, simultaneous viewers, which I need to confirm with Hava, and esp how much bandwidth 5 viewers need. PM me if you're interested in this project to watch spurs season and playoffs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-02-2007, 03:47 AM
Thank you very much for the offer, and I'd like to try, but I don't think it will work because the NBA blocks access from IP addresses outside the US when you try to sign up.

I'll try though, thanks a lot! PM me! :tu :D

If it works I owe you a night on the town when I'm next in SA (probably next May). If not, the generosity of spirit is still appreciated, and we still should go out for a drink. ;)

Slomo
12-02-2007, 03:47 AM
I will then do you a huge favor and give you my username and password at nba.com and that should be able to let you watch all the NBA games! :toast

how does that sound?They're blocking foreign IPs

pawe
12-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Hey, can anyone here with a good heart send me a pm for a username and password for league pass? That would be a good Christmas present from you guys! Thanks!

rasho8
12-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Should I just set up a Linux box here that eveyone can log into and run a terminal session as a US IP? The games would be slow because of funneling it through an old box, but if we all got together Im sure we could put something nice up for our international counterparts to sign up with an watch LP.

I will talk to one of my distributors and see what specials they have on good used servers. Might be able to get a good deal.

Slomo
12-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Should I just set up a Linux box here that eveyone can log into and run a terminal session as a US IP? The games would be slow because of funneling it through an old box, but if we all got together Im sure we could put something nice up for our international counterparts to sign up with an watch LP.

I will talk to one of my distributors and see what specials they have on good used servers. Might be able to get a good deal.It's a nice idea (and an even nicer offer).

I do see a couple of problems with it:

1.- Streaming games through an US proxy would require a pretty damn nice proxy ($$$).

2.- Multiple accesses/streams using the same user name password combo. I don't know if they are already blocking this, but it's relatively easy to do and they will do it as soon as somebody notices it.

A good solution would be to setup a UNIX box that streams the video to it's local HDD (not sure how to do it - but it must be possible), then setup a winamp server (free software) and multicast the whole thing with a 30 secs delay. Main problem is that you would be breaking quite a few copyright laws in a pretty bad way since you would be redistributing (not just relaying) copyrighted material. The only mitigating circumstances being you didn't do it for profit :).

MaNuMaNiAc
12-02-2007, 11:04 AM
They're blocking foreign IPs
easily overcome with a decent proxy server. I used to use Codeen proxies, but they started blocking when they realized what it was being used for. Codeen that is, not the NBA.

byrontx
12-02-2007, 12:34 PM
You guys are a lot more knowledgeable than I but could you just mask the IP address?

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=151583

remingtonbo2001
12-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't have DVR, but I do have Time Warner boxtop setup and every channel known to mankind.

So if it's possible w/o DVR, I'm down.

DVR really didn't benefit me that much, since I'm at home watching TV most of the time anyways.