PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Reusse: Fierce will to win lifts Spurs off floor again

MaNuMaNiAc
12-01-2007, 11:52 AM
http://www.startribune.com/reusse/story/1584735.html

Patrick Reusse: Fierce will to win lifts Spurs off floor again

Manu Ginobili wound up a surprise sub at the point, but the Argentinian, as usual, came through to save his Spurs from defeat.

By Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Last update: December 01, 2007 – 12:27 AM

Forgettable fourth sinks WolvesSavvy Spurs veterans quickly obliterate six-point deficit. C8

Manu Ginobili replaced Tony Parker in the San Antonio lineup late in the third quarter Friday. He was given the task of playing point guard, something that does not fall to him often.

Why now?

"We were down 13, I felt like we needed our best players on the floor and Tony needed a break," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "So, we went with Manu at the point."

On his first possession, Ginobili was stripped of the ball by Timberwolves rookie Corey Brewer.

"He's long and athletic," Ginobili said. "He's very young, obviously, but he's already a tough defender. I stepped back a couple of times to take a shot and he was right there."

Brewer was fouled after the steal and went 1-for-2 at the line. That gave the Wolves an 80-66 lead with 1:25 left in the third quarter.

"When we got them tied, and went ahead by two points, we knew we were going to be fine," Ginobili said. "But when we were down 14, 12, 10 points, I didn't think we were going to win."

It took exactly 2 minutes for the Spurs to go from 80-66 to 80-80. They did this with eight consecutive points to close the third period, then a pair of threes -- by Bruce Bowen and Brent Barry -- to open the fourth.

Ginobili scored the final five points of the third period. He had eight more in the fourth, including a pair of three-pointers as the Spurs were sprinting away from the outclassed Wolves.

Once Brewer picked Ginobili and made the free throw, the Spurs outscored the Wolves 40-11 to finish the 106-91 victory.

"Tonight, we were able to turn it on when we wanted to, but that's a dangerous way to play," Ginobili said. "We can't afford to play like that in too many games."

Ginobili made big shots to keep the Spurs from being blown out of Target Center in the third period, and made more in the fourth. He finished 7-for-9 on three-pointers and scored 31 points.

"I felt great shooting the ball," Ginobili said. "That's easy to see, since this was the most threes I've ever made in an NBA game."

A Minnesota reporter described Ginobili's performance as "cold-hearted" to Popovich. The coach had no problem with the description.

"He is an amazing competitor ... one of the most unbelievable competitors I have ever seen," Popovich said. "He does it in a number of ways."

The Spurs coach said it's a ferocity that can be seen with the Argentina Olympic team, the Ginobili-led group that won the gold medal in Athens in 2004.

"It's a group of players -- some in our league, some not -- that all play like Manu," he said. "They all compete."

Popovich's comment about the ferocity of the Argentina squad was relayed to Ginobili in the small visitors locker room at Target Center.

"We have a core of players who never stop competing," he said. "I'm very proud of our group ... proud to be part of Argentina's Olympic team."

Ginobili, now 30, was selected in the second round of the NBA draft by the Spurs in 1999. He played the next three seasons in the Italian League, then came to the Spurs for the 2002-03 season.

He was a huge part of NBA title teams in 2005 and again this spring.

The Spurs started bringing him off the bench last season and have continued that this season. It's an interesting situation, since Ginobili offers this team's star power with Parker and Tim Duncan.

"We did that as far back as 2003, when we were starting Stephen Jackson," Popovich said. "It also allows some of our other guys to be on the floor with Tim, and take advantage of him being double-teamed."

The popular notion after the Spurs' 40-11 blitz to victory was that the Wolves' 14-point lead was based strictly on the champions' indifference.

Ginobili said that wasn't entirely the case.

"The Wolves came out in the third quarter and wouldn't miss any shots," he said. "Some of those were open, because we weren't playing our best defense, but quite a few were tough shots.

"That looked like a pretty good team, for being so new."

manubili
12-01-2007, 02:19 PM
good read! thanks

BeerIsGood!
12-01-2007, 03:14 PM
I agree the Wolves didn't get that big lead based soley on Spurs indifference. Sure the Spurs were playing sloppy and a bit lethargic, but the Wolves shot the hell out of the ball for a while. Al Jefferson was a beast for most of the game. They just wore down and the Spurs turned it on at the right time.

Dex
12-01-2007, 03:34 PM
I agree the Wolves didn't get that big lead based soley on Spurs indifference. Sure the Spurs were playing sloppy and a bit lethargic, but the Wolves shot the hell out of the ball for a while. Al Jefferson was a beast for most of the game. They just wore down and the Spurs turned it on at the right time.

Agreed.

I do think Spurs got lackadaisical for a bit, but the Wolves did a great job of jumping on top of it and taking advantage. Before the Spurs knew it, they were waking up to a 14-point deficit.

Spurs were probably lucky to pull this out. Once they shifted the momentum and started cutting into the lead, it seemed like the Wolves were noticeably put back on their heels.

Not such a surprise for a young team like the Timberwolves. A better, more experienced team, however, that keeps some composure and manages to space out that run with a few shots or stops probably ends up going on to win that ballgame.

ArgSpursFan.
12-01-2007, 04:47 PM
He is an amazing competitor ... one of the most unbelievable competitors I have ever seen," Popovich said. "He does it in a number of ways."

The Spurs coach said it's a ferocity that can be seen with the Argentina Olympic team, the Ginobili-led group that won the gold medal in Athens in 2004.

"It's a group of players -- some in our league, some not -- that all play like Manu," he said. "They all compete."

Popovich's comment about the ferocity of the Argentina squad was relayed to Ginobili in the small visitors locker room at Target Center.

"We have a core of players who never stop competing," he said. "I'm very proud of our group ... proud to be part of Argentina's Olympic team."

It will be tough to beat the USA team,but with the Numbers Manu is putting so far and the way the rest of the Arg. guys are playing this season, I think we still have a chance to steal it from them in Beijim.
I can't wait for the Olympics to start!!!!

wildbill2u
12-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Many of you remember the 99 team as the team that refused to lose. They had an indomitable will to win. Somehow, whatever the score, you knew they would never throw in the towel. They'd just up the pressure on the other team and make THEM break.

I see a lot of that in this year's team full of vets. It will be interesting to see how they do for the rest of the year when they are down.

samikeyp
12-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Great read! :tu

TheTruth
12-02-2007, 12:14 AM
It will be tough to beat the USA team,but with the Numbers Manu is putting so far and the way the rest of the Arg. guys are playing this season, I think we still have a chance to steal it from them in Beijim.
I can't wait for the Olympics to start!!!!
You guys are the Champs, we have to steal it from you.

Demo Dick Marcinko
12-02-2007, 12:32 AM
You guys are the Champs, we have to steal it from you.

+2

Harry Callahan
12-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm glad for the Spurs that Manu will not have to burn himself out on the Arg NT just to get into the Olympics. The talent depleted NT group played great over the Summer.

It's clear MG is on an extreme roll this year and can carry the SAS to a lot of wins this year.

Let's just hope for a healthy year for the Spurs where they are ready to go in late April. I'm not sure this group really cares about having the very highest seed anyway. They have generally been stone cold killers in the playoffs the last 5 years particularly on the road.