PDA

View Full Version : Vaughn

2centsworth
12-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Without Beno to make him look better, Vaughn looks awful.

Somewhere Vaughn convinced himself he's a baller. OMG this guy can't make a layup to save his life. Plus, he's turning into somewhat of a black whole. I swear he uses 15-20 seconds of the shot clock each an every time.

lefty
12-01-2007, 12:09 PM
:rolleyes

SequSpur
12-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Vaughn is a waste of an upgraded ticket.

Mr. Body
12-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Goddamn it, I wish we never drafted this guy.

Darkwaters
12-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Goddamn it, I wish we never drafted this guy.

:rolleyes

Seriously though, I think Washington's D-League time will be well served. But if he puts up performances like he did yesterday with any frequency then Vaughn will find himself IRed sooner rather than later.

Bruno
12-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Vaughn will be fine. He is a solid role player.

remingtonbo2001
12-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Did someone put crack in your weed?

Vaughn is a fantastic defensive point guard.

Defense wins titles.

If you want Offense, go root for PHOENIX.

exstatic
12-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Vaughn will be fine. He is a solid role player.
He was last year, but he's trying to do too much this year. He needs to handle bringing the ball up the court and then give it to someone else, and play D on the other end. That's it.

bdictjames
12-01-2007, 02:57 PM
I'd prefer he not make any shot at all, excluding freethrows.

Bruno
12-01-2007, 04:51 PM
He was last year, but he's trying to do too much this year. He needs to handle bringing the ball up the court and then give it to someone else, and play D on the other end. That's it.

He isn't shooting that much.
Last year he takes 8.8 shots per 40 min.
This year he takes 9.4 shots per 40 min.
The problem is more that he midrange jumper is off and that he is worse than usual at finishing around the rim.

I don't think Vaughn should shoot way less, he should continue to shoot about 3 times per game. If he stops to shoot, Spurs will play at 4 vs 5 on the offensive end and it's not good. Vaughn needs to continue to be a minimum aggressive on the offensive end. let's hope his shooting slump will end up. Spurs can't have a backup PG who shoots 26% from the field.

ArgSpursFan.
12-01-2007, 04:54 PM
having Manu playing well the PG from time to time,I don't see a problem with JV being a kind of 3rd string PG, maybe with some more mins tham a reg 3rd string PG though

exstatic
12-01-2007, 05:11 PM
He isn't shooting that much.
Last year he takes 8.8 shots per 40 min.
This year he takes 9.4 shots per 40 min.
The problem is more that he midrange jumper is off and that he is worse than usual at finishing around the rim.

I don't think Vaughn should shoot way less, he should continue to shoot about 3 times per game. If he stops to shoot, Spurs will play at 4 vs 5 on the offensive end and it's not good. Vaughn needs to continue to be a minimum aggressive on the offensive end. let's hope his shooting slump will end up. Spurs can't have a backup PG who shoots 26% from the field.
He needs to be more selective. As timvp noted, there have been times when he's shot the ball on a possesion without anyone else touching it. Even amongst the reserves, he is probably the weakest offensive guard/wing, and should defer unless the shot clock is down. He's also a terrible finisher at the rim, who is convinced that he isn't terrible. He needs to have that realization.

Bruno
12-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Even amongst the reserves, he is probably the weakest offensive guard/wing, and should defer unless the shot clock is down.

I disagree with that.
When Vaughn is open at 20 ft, he had to shoot it.
When the paint is wide open, Vaughn has to drive.
The opposite team must respect enough Vaughn offensive game to guard him a little.

He's also a terrible finisher at the rim, who is convinced that he isn't terrible. He needs to have that realization.

That's just wrong. You can bash Vaughn for a lot of things but he knows very well his limitations.
I'm quite sure Pop ask him to be aggressive. Vaughn not being an offensive liability is something important. Remember the Suns serie where Pop put him baseline because he didn't want that Suns don't defend at all on him.
Sometimes Vaughn has some ugly misses (like his drive against Minny) but you to live with that.
When Vaughn average midrange jumper will be back, he will be a fine backup like last year.

AFBlue
12-01-2007, 08:12 PM
he's turning into somewhat of a black whole.

It's "hole" dude.

And yes, Vaughn has played worse this year than last, but he can still be an effective backup for the 10 minutes he's required to fill his role. He just has to snap out of this "I'm Tony Parker" mode where he thinks he's an offensive weapon.

Bottom Line: It's good to have DW as a backup to Vaughn because it looks like he'll be able to contribute sooner rather than later....but Vaughn should be able to give his usual effective play once he calms down.

exstatic
12-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I disagree with that.
When Vaughn is open at 20 ft, he had to shoot it.
When the paint is wide open, Vaughn has to drive.
The opposite team must respect enough Vaughn offensive game to guard him a little.
We're going to have to disagree on this, then. I think even if he has the wide open 20 footer, and there's time on the shot clock (more than 8 seconds) , you run the motion offense to look for a better option. I'd rather have Manu or Barry chucking something up with 2-3 seconds left than Vaughn wide open and set with time left on the shot clock.