PDA

View Full Version : MINIBLOG Suns and best starting 5

Rummpd
12-27-2004, 09:14 AM
"MiniBlog"

We all keep hearing the supposedly locked in stone
statement that the Suns have by far the best starting 5 in league but is this really true? Maybe on offense to a point, but if the game is slowed down by a Spurs or Piston defensive game - I doubt it is even true. Plus
and then I don't believe that looking at full offense/defensive equation they are really that stout.

Plus there are other contenders on paper at least for "best starting 5" - even if just looking at offensive side (which media always does). To me their style of play leads to 2-3 points per game average for starters (who play a lot more minutes than some team due to lack of depth - so their stats may be somewhat inflated).

In the past at least Dallas, LA last year, or Kings on paper had just as daunting, if not more so, lineups. Kings still bring out Miller, Webber, Stoj, Christie, Bibby etc. Don't forget that his year, Wolves can throw out Garnett, Spree ,Casell, and Wally (who has been an all-star) and that has led to a fairly benign 16 and 10 record. 4-5 supposed stars doesn't always make it yet this team is hot as *ell right now, but I am not yet convinced they are truly best starting 5 in league. Would Richardson and Johnson start on all teams (a good case could be made that either or both
would not crack Spurs lineup)?

Nash - true heady allstar but in past Parker and other quick guards have frustrated him on defense.

Marion - up and down stud but to me his game has always missed something.
Maybe I am wrong but not a true all star in my viewpoint. Bowen has shut him down very well in past.

Amare Stoudameir (sp?) - huge talent and doing it this year early but how good is he really? Under-sized at center although some serious hops and althleticism.

Richardson - is this guy really that good? Not at all convinced.
Johnson - up and down. Again, not at all convinced.

To me a team bringing Duncan, Parker, Ginobli plus the world class defense of Bowen is still much more solid, even with the apparent void of Rasho = he is bringing defense and unlike the Suns, their is depth to turn to to fill voids.

Argueably, all the talk of the Suns 5 is probably smoke and mirrors. If Rasho plays half ass = Spurs 5 can also stand up to Suns anytime = period.

MadDoc

boutons
12-27-2004, 10:45 AM
"all the talk of the Suns 5 is probably smoke and mirrors"

very definitely bullshit. PHX has been able to get themselves in trouble and then pull it out in the 4th with crushing runs, and been able to hold leads against some serious counter-attacks, at home and on the road.

Their game plan is "small ball" offense offense offense, and they've executed better and more consistently than any other team, which shows in their record, home and road, and in the stats. After 27 games on a 72-win pace, they aren't a mirage and they won't fade away.

Rummpd
12-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Will see - I still believe they are a very strong on paper team but not top 2-3 in league come playoff time. Still fear Wolves or Kings more.

Mavs had similar start a few years back then adios.

Spurs have had lots of 27 game runs equal or better than Suns start = look it up!!!

MadDoc

Sense
12-28-2004, 05:47 AM
Will see - I still believe they are a very strong on paper team but not top 2-3 in league come playoff time. Still fear Wolves or Kings more.

Mavs had similar start a few years back then adios.

Spurs have had lots of 27 game runs equal or better than Suns start = look it up!!!

MadDoc

The Wolves and the Kingz are playing horrible! So don't fear them more.

The Suns beat the Sonics on the road and confident. The same Sonics that raped the Spurs at home and on the road.

Fear the Suns. What's your problem.

Rummpd
12-28-2004, 07:04 AM
Sense:

Early season records mean nothing . Spurs several years had 10 losses or more in first 30 games and still got best record in league.

Wolves last year had identical record after 24 games and still won 58 games and Kings are playing pretty well.

Suns haven't been tested either by a great team or by injury yet - time will tell.

The Spurs should respect them but not fear them!!!

Suns do not even have a lineup on paper as good as last years LA and Spurs were competetive with that team, being screwed by 0.4.

MadDoc