PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard or Tim Duncan?

Indazone
12-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Who's better Dwight Howard or Tim Duncan?

GP MIN/G PPG REB/G AST/G FG %
18 38.2 23.8 15.0 1.4 61.8

17 33.5 18.5 9.3 2.8 54.7

E20
12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Right now? Dwight Howard.

Howard has the potential to average 30 and 20. Only people who should be in the MVP talks are Dwight Howard or Lebron James..........MAYBE Kobe Byrant, but if LBJ or DHow don't get the award it will be a travesity.

E20
12-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Not sure if this is true, but Howards wikipedia page says he can bench press 1200 pounds. Ughhhh I smell bull shit.............the maximum weight a human can bench press is 700 pounds w/o steriods, 1000lbs w/ steriods, don't if it can be done the natural way. If any more weight is added it would tear apart your deltoids/pectorals. It would probably make your lungs collapse, as well. :lol

some_user86
12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Hahaha, that sentence itself about his weightlifting gives away that someone vandalized the page.

duncan228
12-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Howard's numbers are better.

I don't care.

Give me Duncan over anyone in this league.
I will say that until he retires, even if he doesn't win another Title. Even as he "declines" in his remaining years.

Duncan has given us 4 Championships. I do think he'll bring at least one more home before he's done. He's cemented in his legacy, on what he's done for this game in his career.

There's so much more than numbers in this game.

Duncan has played the right way his entire career. He's put team first his entire career. He's given back to his communities, both in time and money. And not just San Antonio, but St. Croix and the Carolinas.

His game is almost flawless on both ends of the court. (Forgetting FT's for the moment.) His footwork is a thing of beauty. His attitude is remarkable.
He is still who this team runs through, regardless of the elite player Parker has become and the wonder that is Manu.

For me, Duncan is more than a basketball player.
He's a role model, someone I want my kids to look up to.
He's a joy to watch, he's the reason I'm a Spurs fan.

Howard is a great player, I like watching him. But I wouldn't trade a "declining" Duncan for anyone, even a guy who will probably only get better in these next few years.

mystargtr34
12-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Right now? Dwight Howard.

Howard has the potential to average 30 and 20. Only people who should be in the MVP talks are Dwight Howard or Lebron James..........MAYBE Kobe Byrant, but if LBJ or DHow don't get the award it will be a travesity.

Dwight is puttin up much better numbers right now... and hes much more of a focal point on offense for the Magic. Timmy has it in cruise control... come playoff time there isnt a person on this planet who knows anything about basketball that would take Dwight Howard over a motivated play off Tim Duncan... not one.

Avitus1
12-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Tim Duncan, nuff said.

Nikos
12-01-2007, 09:48 PM
So far probably Dwight by a slight margin, but only cause the Spurs D is lagging and Duncan isn't in top form on both ends. Dwight is the unquestionable best offensive and defensive player, Timmy actually shares the offensive duties almost equally with TP and Manu.

By seasons end, Duncan will be better.

dastrey
12-01-2007, 10:04 PM
With the way TP and Manu have taken their game to the next level, I would take Dwight Howard easily. Lets not kid ourselves, while Duncan is a top 10 player in the NBA, he has regressed a bit. There used to only be a few players in the league who could slow Timmy down. Now there are probably a good 8-10 guys that can limit Tim effectively. When the game is on the line, it is Manu the Spurs turn to, rather than Duncan. Dwight has emerged as the next dominant force since Shaq.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Right now I'd take TD. In the future I'd take Dwight. True Dwight is a force. But TD is all IQ/footwork and post moves. And when it comes down to where the game is on the line I'd trust TD's b-ball IQ over any other player in the league. That kind of experience you just cant teach. And Dwight still has a lot to learn.

duncan228
12-01-2007, 10:10 PM
When the game is on the line, it is Manu the Spurs turn to, rather than Duncan.

And how much of the defense is focused on Duncan when Manu gets the ball?

The Spurs are known for their unselfish play, for finding the open man.

But don't fool yourself, as much as opposing coach's focus on keeping Parker and Manu out of the lane, they focus on Duncan just as much as they always did. He's still dangerous, he still demands double teams, especially when the game is on the line. Which is why our perimeter guys are open to win it.

dastrey
12-01-2007, 10:23 PM
And how much of the defense is focused on Duncan when Manu gets the ball?

The Spurs are known for their unselfish play, for finding the open man.

But don't fool yourself, as much as opposing coach's focus on keeping Parker and Manu out of the lane, they focus on Duncan just as much as they always did. He's still dangerous, he still demands double teams, especially when the game is on the line. Which is why our perimeter guys are open to win it.

As of this season, Duncan has not commanded the double teams he has in the past. I can't count how many times this season some scrub has swatted Duncan's shot. Howard, even with his foot-work in progress, has commanded more double teams. He is just too strong and quick for a single coverage. Duncan is a better at sealing off his man and passing out of double teams, but Dwight is coming along nicely in those departments. Dwight would be a better player off the ball in the Spurs system. Parker and Manu would have field days throwing the ball up and watching Dwight tear the rim down. He would do a better job of cleaning up off missed shots as well. I am in no way discrediting Tim Duncan and what he means to the Spurs. I am just saying Dwight Howard is better.

E20
12-01-2007, 10:28 PM
If Dwight Howard can develop an outside game ala Amare Stoudemaire, avoid injury, and keep his FT% at 68 or greater, he should be a fucking monster.

exstatic
12-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Dwight Howard is playing great right now, but he's just months removed from being totally shut down by Detroit in the playoffs.

Tim, doubled or tripled >>> Dwight, doubled or tripled.

raspsa
12-01-2007, 10:31 PM
"They want to keep saying he's the best big man in the league," Carlesimo said. "He's not the best big man; he's the best young big man, and he may be the best center in the league.

"Until they bury Tim Duncan, (Howard) isn't going to be the best big man in the league."

PJ said it best. Though he could be just a wee bit biased.

samikeyp
12-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Right now I'd take TD. In the future I'd take Dwight.

:tu

duncan228
12-01-2007, 10:33 PM
As of this season, Duncan has not commanded the double teams he has in the past. I can't count how many times this season some scrub has swatted Duncan's shot. Howard, even with his foot-work in progress, has commanded more double teams. He is just too strong and quick for a single coverage. Duncan is a better at sealing off his man and passing out of double teams, but Dwight is coming along nicely in those departments. Dwight would be a better player off the ball in the Spurs system. Parker and Manu would have field days throwing the ball up and watching Dwight tear the rim down. He would do a better job of cleaning up off missed shots as well. I am in no way discrediting Tim Duncan and what he means to the Spurs. I am just saying Dwight Howard is better.

You won't convince me. But I respect your opinion.
I agree Howard is great. And he's got room to improve, which is scary.

But, as THE SIXTH MAN pointed out, there's a lot to be said for basketball IQ and experience.

Duncan has it all over anyone in this league.
His game has never been based on athleticism, his game is intelligent. Brilliant.

There's no one in this league I would take over Duncan.
Not now, not ever.

And yes, I freely admit to being a Duncan homer. Always have been, always will be.

Demo Dick Marcinko
12-01-2007, 10:35 PM
There's a handful of power forwards who regularly out score or out rebound Timmy. Tim hands down. Tim has the complete package. He does everything well and he always makes his team mates better. His presence and the intangibles he brings, moreso then what shows up on the box scores are what separate Tim from the rest of the pack. Those who have been watching the Tim since he arrived in SA have seen his progression in those intangibles even though his box scores may have regressed somewhat. He's still playing at an all star level and I'd take him on my team any day. Can anyone say Amare or Garnot?

samikeyp
12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
There are so many things that Duncan does that don't show up in the boxscore. Leadership, presence, as someone mentioned earlier, b-ball IQ...things that Howard can and will learn but these things take time. Howard is not there yet, but well on his way.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-01-2007, 10:40 PM
In response to dastrey. Um what games have you been watching this year? With the exception of Houston or Dallas who have bigs that do bother TD. Every team has thrown and been throwing TD double teams. Last night for example. T-pups had madsen on TD and would bring down their wings for the double. Quarters 1-3 it worked. But in the 4th quarter TD's experience kicked in and he did his usual quarterbacking from the post kicking it out to the open man.

E20
12-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Howard's abilities and powerful physique have thus drawn attention from fellow NBA All-Stars. Tim Duncan once remarked: "Howard is so developed... He has so much promise and I am glad that I will be out of the league when he is peaking." Kevin Garnett echoed those sentiments: "Howard is a freak of nature, man... I was nowhere near that physically talented. I wasn't that gifted, as far as body and physical presence."

duncan228
12-01-2007, 10:43 PM
But in the 4th quarter TD's experience kicked in and he did his usual quarterbacking from the post kicking it out to the open man.

And it was a thing of beauty to watch.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-01-2007, 10:44 PM
There are so many things that Duncan does that don't show up in the boxscore. Leadership, presence, as someone mentioned earlier, b-ball IQ...things that Howard can and will learn but these things take time. Howard is not there yet, but well on his way.
Exactly. No one is knocking Howard. Dude has tremendous up side and freakish athletic ability. But the OP asked who's better right now. And as of right now what Tim brings overall to a team whether it be intangibles, leadership, or just general presence. Tim has that now as to Dwight not being to far away from having the same quality's and the experience from a couple of battles under his belt.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-01-2007, 10:48 PM
And it was a thing of beauty to watch.
:tu Always is.

exstatic
12-01-2007, 10:49 PM
No one is saying Howard isn't a bright prospect. One thing, though...Dwight turns 22 in a week. When Duncan was 23, he had a ring.

Walter Craparita
12-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Howard is better right now. Simple as that.

When the game is on the line? You go with what has won. Duncan.

mystargtr34
12-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Is it me or does Pastrey seem like a Magic fan who decided to jump on just for this debate :lol

bdictjames
12-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Its like you're comparing a young Robinson to an aged Duncan.. just kidding

I'd take Duncan, but not realistically. I feel like Spurs owe this guy so much he should not be traded unless he requests so.

mystargtr34
12-01-2007, 11:03 PM
I personally enjoy watching Al Jefferson much more than Dwight... Dwights high flying act is great to watch... but for me dunk after dunk after dunk can get a little lost ... Al Jefferson is so skilled for a 22 year old.

I would take Dwight over Al... you cant pass up that once in a generation combination of size strength and athleticism but for me... i enjoy watching Al more... far more skilled.

dbreiden83080
12-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Duncan all day long. Howard looks like a guy that is going to put up HUGE numbers every year, his legacy will come down to rings.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Dwight Howard is playing great right now, but he's just months removed from being totally shut down by Detroit in the playoffs.

That's not a fair comparison about the ring thing, seeing as how Duncan walked into a fantastic situation, whereas Howard got stuck with a genuine lottery team.

Having said that, I agree with whoever said they'd take Duncan right, but Howard down the line.

Nikos
12-01-2007, 11:30 PM

You know I don't really see that much of the Spurs offense being dominated by Duncan anymore. Ginobili and Parker are probably the #1 and #2 options so far this season. Yes Duncan gets doubled more, but it seems that he doesn't even produce that many passes that lead to assists for teamattes as in the past. I have seen a handful of games where he was doubled several times and it didn't lead to an assist or even produce an easy basket later in the shot clock.

The offense is clearly shared by the big three. Only difference is Duncan is clearly the most valuable defensive cog. When Duncan is playing good defense the Spurs are elite. When he doesn't they are just above average.

The beauty of Duncan's game is his balance of offense and defense. And so far this season he hasn't been overly dominant on either end (but still excellent).

Walter Craparita
12-01-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm hoping he is holding back and can step it up (like usual) on the offensive side come playoff time.

Until then just hope everyone starts pulling a Madsen to get him kick started.

duncan228
12-01-2007, 11:39 PM
He will be fine.
In Duncan I trust.

inconvertible
12-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Duncan cuz howard is still to stupid to do the things TD does in the playoffs.

exstatic
12-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Duncan's assists per 40 minutes are spot on for his career numbers. You really can't take a small sample of some possessions in one game, and project from that that his passing isn't what it used to be.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Duncan all day and twice on Sundays.

v2freak
12-02-2007, 12:27 AM

I don't care.

I will say that until he retires, even if he doesn't win another Title. Even as he "declines" in his remaining years.

Duncan has given us 4 Championships. I do think he'll bring at least one more home before he's done. He's cemented in his legacy, on what he's done for this game in his career.

Duncan has played the right way his entire career. He's put team first his entire career. He's given back to his communities, both in time and money. And not just San Antonio, but St. Croix and the Carolinas.

His game is almost flawless on both ends of the court. (Forgetting FT's for the moment.) His footwork is a thing of beauty. His attitude is remarkable.
He is still who this team runs through, regardless of the elite player Parker has become and the wonder that is Manu.

Howard is a great player, I like watching him. But I wouldn't trade a "declining" Duncan for anyone, even a guy who will probably only get better in these next few years.

:toast

SRJ
12-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Better? Better how?

If you need someone to carry the load of scoring production, Howard's your guy. He can play huge minutes, his strength and stamina are practically limitless at 22. He explodes off the floor and his basketball skill in the post is improving nicely.

Orlando needs that. They are a young team, and they are laying the foundation for a system built around Howard that will maximize his skill set year after year - recall Duncan's early years, when he was playing 3000+ minutes per year.

The Spurs are a veteran team - and what they need down low is exactly what Tim Duncan gives them. As great as Howard already is, and as much as he will continue to improve, his skill set wouldn't fit this Spurs team right now.

This is Tim Duncan's team - all of the complements are in place. When the matchup is right (for instance Dallas 2006) he will destroy whoever is in front of him. When the defense is better suited to slow Tim down a bit (for instance Detroit 2005), he will use the threat of his post game to set up the open shooters on the perimeter and other Spurs will shine. Cleveland had absolutely no way of containing Tony Parker in last year's Finals, and Parker had his day in the sun.

This is exactly how Tim likes it. On most other teams, the superstar gets the shots and the touches. In San Antonio, the right guy makes the play.

If we had a 31-year old Patrick Ewing (for instance) in San Antonio right now, he'd be averaging 25 points - and the Spurs would be something like 10-7.

I love Howard, and I hope that when the time comes, he grows a wild hair up his ass and signs with the Spurs. But right now, in 2007, Tim Duncan, in (alleged) decline, is better for the Spurs than super-stud Dwight Howard.

Spurminator
12-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Are the Spurs the favorite for the 2008 Title with Dwight Howard instead of Tim Duncan?

Good talk.

Indazone
12-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Yeah but Howard plays for a bad Orlando team. He's the first option. Wonder what Duncan would be doing if you switched them out for each other.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-02-2007, 01:40 AM
Tim Duncan all the way. DHs numbers mean nothing if he doesn't get them the ring. He's good and posting better numbers than Duncan but the roles are very different. If Duncan was supposed to be a primary scorer and rebounder he would be playing more minutes and would have a responsiblity he doesn't now. He would be there with DH in that case. But it doesn't matter, as I said DH is good, very good but hasn't won a championship. TD is the core of the spurs and he just shows up when it counts given his minimized role compared to that of many years ago. TD will probably be over anyone else in the league in that position until he retires, at least in my mind.

The numbers DH is putting up, when used to compare with Duncan, mean nothing reallly. You can't compare those 2 players now.

slayermin
12-02-2007, 04:09 AM
Do you want to win a championship?

dastrey
12-02-2007, 04:25 AM
Would you trade 2007 Duncan for 2001 Shaq? The answer should be easy.

Ronaldo McDonald
12-02-2007, 04:40 AM

I don't care.

u should give a speech at his funeral

polandprzem
12-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Umm the beast mustb to change into a winner then I will compare both.

MVP?
3 people - Dwight, Kev, LeJames

duncan228
12-02-2007, 08:43 AM
u should give a speech at his funeral

I specialize in Duncan.
Anytime I have a chance to go off about him I will.

Though I'm not thrilled with the funeral reference.

TampaDude
12-02-2007, 08:50 AM
These bitches putting team accomplishments ahead of individual accomplishments and Howard eats Duncans lunch anytime...

Howard>>>>>>>Duncan

It's all about TEAM, dude...

Spurs>>>>>>>>>>LeBron

SouthernFried
12-02-2007, 10:18 AM
If you asked coaches in the NBA, who is the one guy you want more than anyone else right now....it would be Tim Duncan.

Coaches are generally pretty smart.

Isiah don't count.

Jimcs50
12-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Would I trade TD for Howard right now?

Yes

Why?

Because TD has 4-5 years left before he becomes insignificant. Howard will be great for another 10 yrs. Put Howard on the Spurs right now, and they might win it all....maybe. But they will still be a contender to win it 5 yrs from now too. Put TD on Orlando right now, and they can win it all too, but not in 3 yrs.

Now in their primes, I would not trade TD for any player.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-02-2007, 10:48 AM
No one is saying Howard isn't a bright prospect. One thing, though...Dwight turns 22 in a week. When Duncan was 23, he had a ring.hmm... he also had David Robinson

SRJ
12-02-2007, 02:32 PM
These bitches putting team accomplishments ahead of individual accomplishments

Yeah...how silly of us.

Who gives a shit about championships?

td4mvp21
12-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Tim Duncan, but Howard's numbers make me nostalgic of the numbers Tim used to put up. Howard will be damn good, as he already is, but Duncan is so much more efficient and score by himself way better than Howard. A lot of Howards points are off of assists, such as alleyoops. Duncan has better post moves and is a much better outside shooter. Not to mention Duncan's passing skills >>>>Howard's. Howard is a better rebounder than Duncan, though. In the playoffs, I'm assuming Duncan would teach Howard a few things.

Harry Callahan
12-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Tim used to have to put up the big numbers and could back when his supporting cast outside of a healthy David Robinson was not as strong.

He does not have to carry the type of load he used to. He may not be the same player as he was when he was 25, but I think there is a number that keeps popping into my head. That number is FOUR.

If you are going ten years into the future, of course you want Howard, but I kind of like the multiple NBA titles. Tim should afforded the courtesy of playing as long as he wants in SA, and then walking away with no complaints from us.

remingtonbo2001
12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
You can't really compare Howard and Duncan. There games are entirely different.

HOWARD= DROB

HAKEEM= DUNCAN

David had a better mid-range shot than Howard, but Howard is still relatively young.

Hakeem was quicker than Duncan, but Duncan has more arsenal in the low post.

703 Spurz
12-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Who's better Dwight Howard or Tim Duncan?

18 38.2 23.8 15.0 1.4 61.8

17 33.5 18.5 9.3 2.8 54.7

Howard is better b/c Orlando needs him to be better. I wouldn't take him over Timmy though. Ever

Fillmoe
12-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Timmy ain't touching Dwight right now.

duncan228
12-02-2007, 09:36 PM

Low blow.

telecomguy
12-02-2007, 10:04 PM
With the way TP and Manu have taken their game to the next level, I would take Dwight Howard easily. Lets not kid ourselves, while Duncan is a top 10 player in the NBA, he has regressed a bit. There used to only be a few players in the league who could slow Timmy down. Now there are probably a good 8-10 guys that can limit Tim effectively. When the game is on the line, it is Manu the Spurs turn to, rather than Duncan. Dwight has emerged as the next dominant force since Shaq.

every year TD is underestimated............until the playoffs. Even when Manu was playing out of him mind in 2005, in game 7 when everything was on the line and Spurs were 9 pts behind Pistons in the 3rd qtr. and it looked for sure that they were going to lose, TD took over to singlehandedly bring the Spurs back and win the championship. Every one of the 4 rings Spurs won have been mostly due to Duncan, even last year (because the finals were a foregone conclusion as Suns were the real challenger on their way to the championship).

Dwight is still very raw and not as a smart basketball player as DUncan. In the playoffs, Dwight can be shut down relatively easily whereas Duncan will take what the defense gives him.

They play different style. Dwight is more like Amare. Lots of hops, dunks, one-on-one but not necessarily smart in how he uses his teammates. And the last time I checked, basketball is still mainly a team game, not mano-a-mano individual competition.

The amazing thing about TD is that he has been playing efficient, smart, team first style since his rookie year. I SWEAR, IT SEEMS TO ME THAT TD NEVER HAD TO GO THROUGH THE DEVELOPMENT THAT ALMOST ALL NBA PLAYERS (INCLUDING LEBRON) HAS HAD TO GO THROUGH BEFORE BECOMING A GREAT PLAYER. I mean, the first few years i saw him play, he was already playing like a saavy veteran, using his teammates to maximium results. In fact what is really amazing is that his style, approach, and skill sets have not changed that much since the first year he broke into the league. He basically came into the league as a complete player, who understood the basics of the game, had the physical tools to dominate right away and the mental intelligence/toughness to win rings fairly quickly after he left college. Truely a remarkable career when you think about it.

remingtonbo2001
12-02-2007, 10:08 PM

Let's not jizz all over ourselves.

Howard is playing in the Eastern Conference.

If he's out West, I guarantee his numbers are a couple notches down.

telecomguy
12-02-2007, 10:12 PM
You won't convince me. But I respect your opinion.
I agree Howard is great. And he's got room to improve, which is scary.

But, as THE SIXTH MAN pointed out, there's a lot to be said for basketball IQ and experience.

Duncan has it all over anyone in this league.
His game has never been based on athleticism, his game is intelligent. Brilliant.

There's no one in this league I would take over Duncan.
Not now, not ever.

And yes, I freely admit to being a Duncan homer. Always have been, always will be.

what is amazing about Duncan is that he has played the same intelligent way since he JOINED the league. He NEVER Played like a rookie. Yes he stayed in college longer than Dwight or Amare but that is over-rated. THe bottom line is that TD always had an innate, instinctive knowledge of how to WIN in the game of basketball. He knows when he has to distribute, when he has to be aggressive, when he has to dominate. His understanding of the game is really quite amazing. You can see when Spurs start having problems in critical situations, that is when he takes over and increases his level of play. It's almost like he understands exactly what is happening. Dwight is still very raw and green. He doesn;t really know how to react to change in strategy or defense and tends to be one-dimensional. HOward/Amare looks great, makes lot of highlight reel plays but when it comes down to the critical situations, TD is heads & shoulders above them, even now. If you doubt that, just replay the 7th game of 2005 finals or last year's series against Suns in the playoffs and tell me if Amare/Howard would have outplayed Duncan.

MONTENEGRINO
12-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Maybe it doesn't matter, but somehow I cannot remember if Timmy was slamed like this EVER...

http://sneakerboxx.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/rewind2005_bryant_600px1.jpg

http://alltalksports.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/kobe.jpg

Anyway, Dwight will become or he already is inside monster full of strenght, but he still cannot be compared with Timmy. Let him WIN first, then talk...

lrrr
12-02-2007, 11:16 PM
To be a truly great bigman in the NBA, a player has to be able to easily handle a double team. Duncan has an assist:TO ratio of above one. Howards is below 0.5. Until he can learn to make effective "bigman" passes, Dwight will be a level below TD.

Think about it, TD has been the centrepiece of a championship contender for his entire career. All the other teams have focussed on stopping him, and he still puts up the numbers he does and gets the w's night in and night out. There are plenty of other bigs like Yao, Amare and Dwight who can put up big numbers in the regular season (seriously, no one really cares about the regular season when determining greatness), but haven't had the success when it counts most. All three of the above have terrible assist:TO ratios. They don't make their teammates better to the degree that Duncan does.

If you want further proof, look at the averages of the great C's like Shaq and Hakeem. They all had assist:TO ratios similar to TD's.

Dex
12-03-2007, 12:41 AM
If it were socially and humanely acceptable to entomb Duncan at the SBC Center, he would deserve it.

mystargtr34
12-03-2007, 03:26 AM
You can't really compare Howard and Duncan. There games are entirely different.

HOWARD= DROB

HAKEEM= DUNCAN

David had a better mid-range shot than Howard, but Howard is still relatively young.

Hakeem was quicker than Duncan, but Duncan has more arsenal in the low post.

Im not sure if any one has ever had more moves than Hakeem down low... not even Tim.

Tim did have much better handles then Hakeem and was a better passer... both on the outlet and out of the post.

dg7md
12-03-2007, 04:12 AM
If Dwight Howard can develop an outside game ala Amare Stoudemaire, avoid injury, and keep his FT% at 68 or greater, he should be a fucking monster.

He... IS a monster. Better than Amare.

As of today and right now, I'd take Dwight Howard, no question. Not a single one.

irishock
04-28-2013, 07:51 PM
:lol Dwight's declining tbh

DuncanInYourFace
04-28-2013, 07:57 PM
:lmao :lmao

Kori Ellis
04-28-2013, 08:05 PM
This was a good bump.

TrainOfThought5
04-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Would I trade TD for Howard right now?

Yes

Why?

Because TD has 4-5 years left before he becomes insignificant. Howard will be great for another 10 yrs. Put Howard on the Spurs right now, and they might win it all....maybe. But they will still be a contender to win it 5 yrs from now too. Put TD on Orlando right now, and they can win it all too, but not in 3 yrs.

Now in their primes, I would not trade TD for any player.

ROFLMAO ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!

TrainOfThought5
04-28-2013, 08:21 PM
but outside of some of the dumbest stuff hindsight has ever produced, there were some valiant attempts at analysis in this thread. wish i could have been around for the good ole days.

Brazil
04-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Duncan228 with the goods tbh :tu .

Uriel
04-28-2013, 08:41 PM

I don't care.

:lol at people who criticized duncan228 for being All-SpursTalk for not writing good posts

Leetonidas
04-28-2013, 08:53 PM
verbally blowing Timmy isn't a good post

SouthTexasRancher
04-28-2013, 09:06 PM
5 1/2 years later and I'd still take Duncan every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Timmy is a Winner...Big Time!

Dwight is a Loser...Big Time!

dbreiden83080
04-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Stephen A Smith is trashing his attitude but still calling this clown the best big man in the game on Sportscenter.. :lol

Legacy
04-28-2013, 09:15 PM
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/850/1367037238388.gif

dbreiden83080
04-28-2013, 09:15 PM
5 1/2 years later and I'd still take Duncan every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Timmy is a Winner...Big Time!

Dwight is a Loser...Big Time!

Intangibles, intangibles, intangibles. People still to this day underrate that in professional sports. It is why scouts will completely dismiss a player at an NFL combine because he can’t jump over a box high enough or blow you away with a 40 yard dash time and overlook a player with tremendous leadership qualities. The qualities an athlete has inside are just as important as the physical tools they present. Dwight Howard can dunk on anyone and give you 18 and 12 every year but he has nothing inside. Therefore he can’t lead, he can’t inspire and he isn’t good enough to build around.

ace3g
04-28-2013, 09:26 PM
someone made an edit online, lol

http://i.imgur.com/bZN6p7U.gif

Legacy
04-28-2013, 09:30 PM

:lmao I'm sure there will be even MOAR edits. This gif is gonna be around for a very loooooonnggg time. :lmao

pjjrfan
04-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Intangibles, intangibles, intangibles. People still to this day underrate that in professional sports. It is why scouts will completely dismiss a player at an NFL combine because he can’t jump over a box high enough or blow you away with a 40 yard dash time and overlook a player with tremendous leadership qualities. The qualities an athlete has inside are just as important as the physical tools they present. Dwight Howard can dunk on anyone and give you 18 and 12 every year but he has nothing inside. Therefore he can’t lead, he can’t inspire and he isn’t good enough to build around.
AGREE, It''s why timmy has won championships with 2 different groups. It's why Timmy is in everygame that he plays in, by that I mean his head is in every game he suits up for. He has a great grasp of the team concept and he has led by example. And made Tony for one a better player.

Tim_duncan21
04-28-2013, 09:42 PM

lol what did D12 say?

Brazil
04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
lol what did D12 say?

Fuck you, man

Obstructed_View
04-28-2013, 09:50 PM
lol what did D12 say?

The other angle showed him saying "That's bullshit, man."

Legacy
04-28-2013, 10:02 PM
The other angle showed him saying "That's bullshit, man."

That's what I always thought he was saying also, imo, tbh, fwiw... Just my two cents. *shrug*

Obstructed_View
04-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Now we need a lip reader to translate what he said to Kupchak.

jimbo
04-28-2013, 10:20 PM

:lol at people who criticized duncan228 for being All-SpursTalk for not writing good posts

In 2010 that post would have been looked at as

":cry Tim might not be good, but at least he's classy :cry"

purist
04-28-2013, 10:27 PM

And IF my aunt had nards she would be my uncle. Howard lacks mental toughness that TD has

FromWayDowntown
04-28-2013, 10:28 PM
This thread is full of win (and lots of names that don't seem to show up much around here anymore).

It's freakin' awesome to see duncan228's total vindication.

I recall a few years ago after the Spurs dispatched the Nuggets, a Denver columnist who used to be a real favorite around here (Mark Kiszla) wrote that "The Spurs do not beat you so much as they grind you into tiny shards of psychological wreckage." Dwight was likely beaten early on in this series, but there's no doubt that he's currently the walking embodiment of that phenomenon.

dbreiden83080
04-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Now we need a lip reader to translate what he said to Kupchak.

"Nigga i'm getting the fuck outta here"..

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 09:29 AM
:lmao