PDA

View Full Version : Man tased for getting out license and insurance too slowly

Nbadan
12-02-2007, 02:41 AM
This is insane...Keep in mind Cpl. Thomas O'Connor begins yelling at this man 16 secs into the stop and asks him to step out of the vehicle 27 seconds in...

An Austin police corporal who pulled over a man along a busy highway on Thanksgiving 2006 for driving five miles per hour over the limit ordered the driver out of the car and then shocked him with his Taser stun gun as the motorist appeared to question what was happening, according to a videotape from the officer's patrol car camera.

Cpl. Thomas O'Connor's immediate supervisor and internal affairs investigators exonerated him of wrongfully using the weapon, saying he was justified because he "perceived a threat," dozens of pages of internal memos and other records said. In May, Cathy Ellison, acting police chief at the time, suspended O'Connor for three days in May for using force against Eugene Snelling and for violating a department policy requiring officers to "respect the rights of individuals and perform their services with honestly, sincerity, courage and sound judgement."

The dramatic traffic stop has now become a "black eye on the organization," according to new Chief Art Acevedo, who this week will begin using the video as a training tool to prevent future incidents.

Acevedo, who arrived in June amid a federal investigation into how Austin police use force against minorities, said he was troubled by the officer's quick use of his Taser on Snelling, who is black, and by internal affairs detectives' decision that O'Connor, who is white, had done nothing wrong by using the weapon.

Days after he took office, Acevedo first saw the videotape and a stinging memo from the Austin Police Monitor's Office, which summed up its response: "We believe that Corporal O'Connor was far too quick on the trigger."

"It was very upsetting to me," Acevedo said in an interview last week. "What I saw wasn't consistent with my expectations of the men and women of the Austin Police Department. Our job is to de-escalate stops, not escalate them. The way the officer conducted business, he absolutely escalated the situation."

Here is the Video: Austin Cop Tasers guy for not handing over drivers license and insurance fast enough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8U1JRAJpr8)

Oscar DeLa
12-02-2007, 03:17 AM
I don't know what it is but we're past due for another Mexican or Black South East Austin resident getting shot in the back multiple times by police officers, they happen about every 8-9 months like clockwork!

Wild Cobra
12-02-2007, 04:15 AM
One of our problems in America is that people who like to exercise control become police officers. If this really is as it appears, then this police officer should go to jail for a very long time. I have zero tolerance for people who give the oath, to act in such a way.

jochhejaam
12-02-2007, 08:53 AM
One of our problems in America is that people who like to exercise control become police officers. If this really is as it appears, then this police officer should go to jail for a very long time. I have zero tolerance for people who give the oath, to act in such a way.
"A very long time"? How much time is that?

(Undoubtedly he should not be wearing a police uniform)

Twisted_Dawg
12-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Is this the same one that was on all the news channels the last few days? I thought they said the motorist refused to sign the ticket. In that video, the officer tasered him twice. I guess another one for good measure while he was laying helpless on the ground and his family watching.

JMarkJohns
12-02-2007, 10:36 AM
As big a piece of bullshit as the tasering was the fact he was pulled over for going 70 mph on a 65 mph highway/interstate. I've been on roads where you felt lucky if the flow of traffic allowed you to go just 5 mph over the speed limit.

xrayzebra
12-02-2007, 04:14 PM
That has to be one of the stupidest police officers I have ever
seen. His conduct was such that he should be fired and
prosecuted. He never gave the man a chance to give him
anything. I suspect the Policeman watches too much court
TV. What a dummy, dangerous dummy.

boutons_
12-02-2007, 06:37 PM
"pulled over for going 70 mph on a 65 mph"

Give the cop a break, he was just trying to make his quota. :)

braeden0613
12-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I think we have a serious problem when this officer wasnt fired or had charges filed against him. A three-day suspension?? That'll teach 'em.

Marklar MM
12-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Is this the same one that was on all the news channels the last few days? I thought they said the motorist refused to sign the ticket. In that video, the officer tasered him twice. I guess another one for good measure while he was laying helpless on the ground and his family watching.

Nah...the one out now happened recently, where the guy was walking away from the officer after refusing to sign his ticket. The one talked about in this thread happened last year.

scott
12-03-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure what to say aside from wow...

I'd like to hear the bullshit justification for this guy still having a job. I'm sure Yonivore will be around to provide one soon enough.

boutons_
12-03-2007, 12:47 AM
The PD makes all the right noises, but failed to make the right move, which would be to fire this sicko. The police everywhere know they can always get away with abuses and illegalities, most of the times in complete silence, since the citizens know the police are above the law.

3 day suspension ... with or w/o pay? Either way, I'm sure the other police are scared shitless and won't ever again Taser. :)

Holt's Cat
12-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Was it that time (ie 29th through 31st) of the month for the good officer?

MannyIsGod
12-03-2007, 05:00 AM
thats just fucked.

Nesterofish
12-03-2007, 09:20 AM
i toitly agreee with the offacer whenb a black guy starts givinhg y9ou li0p ou have to pout him in his place

RobinsontoDuncan
12-03-2007, 09:29 AM
I thought austin was a traditionally liberal city with a history of good race relations..... this is puzzling, perhaps i was wrong and your entire state is backwards

JoeChalupa
12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
I would have given the officer what he asked for and followed his instructions.

But the police officer was wrong.

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I thought austin was a traditionally liberal city with a history of good race relations..... this is puzzling, perhaps i was wrong and your entire state is backwards
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/01/06/BAGJO442GP1.DTL

Spurminator
12-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Stupid bitch should've been more cooperative with our police force.

JohnnyMarzetti
12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Stupid bitch should've been more cooperative with our police force.

You wouldn't be saying that under your real name.

Pussy!

Nbadan
12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Oh, I think Sperminator was posting that tongue-in-cheek...we really need a sarcasm icon....any suggestions?

DarkReign
12-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Oh, I think Sperminator was posting that tongue-in-cheek...we really need a sarcasm icon....any suggestions?

For the context-impaired

Suggestion

ChumpDumper
12-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I actually prefer having sarcasm missed by some posters. The reactions can be priceless.

Spurminator
12-03-2007, 04:53 PM
:tu

The target audience knew exactly what I was talking about.

JohnnyMarzetti
12-03-2007, 05:31 PM
:tu

The target audience knew exactly what I was talking about.

Who needs a sarcasm icon when it's perfectly clear? :rolleyes

DarkReign
12-03-2007, 06:13 PM
I actually prefer having sarcasm missed by some posters. The reactions can be priceless.

Point. Set. Match.

Spawn
12-03-2007, 06:27 PM

There is no such place anywhere in America.