PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Horry says he'll return when mentally ready

Spurs Brazil
12-02-2007, 06:46 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA120207.08C.BKNspurs.horry.297dc68.html

Spurs notebook: Horry says he'll return when mentally ready

Web Posted: 12/01/2007 11:39 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

Over the past month, spent mostly sitting behind the Spurs' bench in a coat and tie, Robert Horry has learned one thing he doesn't want to do with his life once his NBA career comes to a close.
"I don't want to be a coach," Horry said. "You have to talk too much."

It seems an odd aversion for Horry, never known to be the silent type. For now, however, he'd be happy if he could just resume his playing career.

A 15-year veteran in the midst of what will likely be his final campaign, Horry has yet to play this season. He missed most of the preseason while tending to a family emergency.

Horry isn't injured. He just doesn't feel mentally up to playing yet. In a sense, his basketball clock is still stuck in training-camp mode.

"I feel like I just got picked up (as a free agent)," he said. "And I'm just now getting here."

The running joke with Horry is that he tends to take the regular season off, only to earn his annual salary in the playoffs. But Horry says he wants to get back on the floor as soon as possible.

He just doesn't want to rush himself. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich doesn't want to rush him, either.

Popovich says Horry has earned the right to decide when he's ready to play.

So when will that be?

He has tentatively targeted making his season debut during the three-game homestand that opens today against Portland. But he isn't making any promises.

"I feel fine physically," Horry said. "Mentally, I just want to get some (more) practices in, go up and down, get some full body contact. I'm just trying to get my mind right."

Stay awhile: After returning home from Minnesota late Friday night, the Spurs can finally unpack their bags and keep them that way — at least for a while.

Today's afternoon matinee against Portland marks the beginning of a three-game homestand for the Spurs — their longest of the season to date.

They will be home for exactly a week before hitting the road to play games Dec. 11 at Golden State and Dec. 13 at the Los Angeles Lakers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]