PDA

View Full Version : Trade Manu for Kobe???

TampaDude
12-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Just a hypothetical situation...I know it's not gonna happen in real life, but if the chance came up, loyalties aside, would you trade Manu to the Lakers for Kobe???

duncan228
12-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Please, there's a horrible troll out there called TradeManu4Kobe, let's not go there with him again!

TampaDude
12-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Please, there's a horrible troll out there called TradeManu4Kobe, let's not go there with him again!

Someone mentioned Manu for Kobe in an earlier thread, and I was just wondering...I figure most people here would say NFW (me included) because it would fuck up the Spurs' team chemistry.

duncan228
12-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Someone mentioned Manu for Kobe in an earlier thread, and I was just wondering...I figure most people here would say NFW (me included) because it would fuck up the Spurs' team chemistry.

That was the basis of the battle with the troll.
Kobe wouldn't fit in this locker room.

romain.star
12-02-2007, 08:57 AM
it would be a huge risk indeed... it could fucked up the chemistry of this team but Kobe is just a much better player than Manu... I honestly don't know...
We have 3 rings with manu so i'm happy with it

MaNuMaNiAc
12-02-2007, 09:06 AM
I love how the dude goes "loyalties aside", I guess you forgot to mention salary cap aside, chemistry aside, monumental gap in skills as well as heart aside.

:lol

There are so many reasons why this trade would never happen, any hypothetical scenario you can come up with is just dumb.

Of course Kobe is twice the player Manu is skillwise. Manu has twice the heart though, I can tell you that my friend. Put it simply, there isn't a player out there that brings what Manu brings, at the price he brings it, period.

romain.star
12-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I love how the dude goes "loyalties aside", I guess you forgot to mention salary cap aside, chemistry aside, monumental gap in skills as well as heart aside.

:lol

There are so many reasons why this trade would never happen, any hypothetical scenario you can come up with is just dumb.

Of course Kobe is twice the player Manu is skillwise. Manu has twice the heart though, I can tell you that my friend. Put it simply, there isn't a player out there that brings what Manu brings, at the price he brings it, period.

yup, PER minute and PER $.. manu is the most effective player in this league

jay014
12-02-2007, 10:44 AM
He's going to want to have Tim traded. Fuck Kobe

SpurOutofTownFan
12-02-2007, 01:24 PM
I usually ignore this kind of thread.

Dex
12-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Yeahhh....

Then I'll get a flare gun and shoot myself in the face.

As long as we're tossing around bad ideas.

remingtonbo2001
12-02-2007, 01:49 PM

:lol That's the first thing that popped in my mind.

baseline bum
12-02-2007, 01:56 PM
No way in hell.

exstatic
12-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Manu is a man. Kobe is a whiney little bitch who throws his teammates under the bus when things aren't going well. He wants to be "the man", in spite of the fact that he's proven he can't take a team out of the first round by himself. No thanks. Kobe may be more skilled, but Manu has proven to be a perfect fit on an ego-less team. Kobe would destroy the Spurs franchise.

Ronaldo McDonald
12-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Kobe is one of the most versatile players in the league. he could and would change his game if it means his team is going to better.

E20
12-02-2007, 03:10 PM
If the Spurs win the 08 title. Kobe will opt out of his contract with the Lakers and take less money to sign with the Spurs. BOOK IT.

porscha
12-02-2007, 03:24 PM
no

exstatic
12-02-2007, 03:29 PM
If the Spurs win the 08 title. Kobe will opt out of his contract with the Lakers and take less money to sign with the Spurs. BOOK IT.
No he won't. Sign with the Spurs for the MCE, I mean. I think he opts out if the Lakers still hold his contract, regardless of what the Spurs do...in 2009 when his option actually is.

duncan228
12-02-2007, 03:30 PM

The Spurs won't want him.

exstatic
12-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I can give you three reasons why SA wouldn't sign him to even an MCE deal in 2009: they have cap money in 2010 and Melo, Wade, and Lebron are all unrestricted.

E20
12-02-2007, 03:43 PM
The Spurs won't want him.
?
No GM in their right mind would deny a player like Kobe Byrant on their team for the LLE or Vet min, hell even the MLE. In fact when Kobe was a FA in the summer of 2005, Pop even mentioned he talked to him if he was interested, just because he was Kobe.

Kobe would be the long 3. He'd slide in at SG, because Barry and Fin are old as hell and it's Barry's last year.
Tony
Kobe
Bowen
Duncan
C: Whoever

E20
12-02-2007, 03:45 PM
I can give you three reasons why SA wouldn't sign him to even an MCE deal in 2009: they have cap money in 2010 and Melo, Wade, and Lebron are all unrestricted.
That would be more unlikely (LBJ, Melo, Wade). The reason I say Kobe, is because Kobe is already rich and he seems to want to win. LBJ, Melo, and Wade will be looking to get Max offers. 2008 or 2009 Kobe to the Spurs book it. Hey maybe in 2008 the Lakers will buy out the rest of his contract/waive him. :lol

duncan228
12-02-2007, 03:52 PM
I just don't see Kobe as a Spurs kind of player. Don't get me wrong, I love his game and he does want to win. But he doesn't strike me as a "check your ego at the door" guy.

I certainly could be wrong. A few years on a losing team could grow him up.

E20
12-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Kobe to the Spurs has been a long pipe dream of mine, it may never happen, but I'm pretty sure it will be same as when Horry came to the team.

A bunch of fans were like OOOHHH NOOO an Ex Laker..........then he became a fan favorite, due to his play.

exstatic
12-02-2007, 04:01 PM
That would be more unlikely (LBJ, Melo, Wade). The reason I say Kobe, is because Kobe is already rich and he seems to want to win. LBJ, Melo, and Wade will be looking to get Max offers. 2008 or 2009 Kobe to the Spurs book it. Hey maybe in 2008 the Lakers will buy out the rest of his contract/waive him. :lol
The Spurs will have the money for a MAX offer to one player, and still be able to fill out their roster. Why pick a 31 YO ton of miles Kobe Bryant in 2009, when you can offer it to a 25 YO LeBron in 2010? Not to mention that players like Kobe ALWAYS go for the money, no matter what they say about winning.

In 2010, you have to be thinking about building the NEXT team... the post-Duncan team. You're not going to do that around a 30 something guard.

E20
12-02-2007, 04:04 PM
The Spurs will have the money for a MAX offer to one player, and still be able to fill out their roster. Why pick a 31 YO ton of miles Kobe Bryant in 2009, when you can offer it to a 25 YO LeBron in 2010? Not to mention that players like Kobe ALWAYS go for the money, no matter what they say about winning.

In 2010, you have to be thinking about building the NEXT team... the post-Duncan team. You're not going to do that around a 30 something guard.

Spurs w/ Duncan will be contenders for the next 2-3 years. Spurs will probably contact Lebron and co. just to lay their offer on the table, but I doubt they will accept. Lebron will probably stay in Cleavenland in 2010, he's not the type to go to team and bandwagon his way to a trophy at this age, same with Melo, same with Wade. I don't think any of them are gonna be pulling any Boozers. They wanna prove they can do it as the main gun, before they resort going to a championship caliber team.

Throw some money at an ailing Shaq on his last legs and Kobe. :lol

duncan228
12-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Throw some money at an ailing Shaq on his last legs and Kobe. :lol

As long as Duncan is retired when Shaq gets here.
Then I don't have to watch. :lol

Jimcs50
12-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I would trade Manu's wife for Kobe's wife....for sure.

ynh
12-02-2007, 06:45 PM
You do it in a second.. but Kobe would never want to go to San Antonio.. it's not a big enough market.