PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Marbury's father died after the Suns Knicks game

flipcritic
12-03-2007, 12:20 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/03/sports/basketball/03knicks.html

I've never liked the guy, but one can't but help feel sad for him right now, especially in this his toughest year (in so many ways). Nobody should have their dad taken away from them in such fashion. I pray for him and his family.

SpursFanFirst
12-03-2007, 01:14 AM
That's really too bad. He's lost 3 people in 3 weeks. Man...that really sucks. :(

OldDirtMcGirt
12-03-2007, 02:04 AM
My best wishes to Steph.

spurscenter
12-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Sad for Steph. His dad is what inspired him to give back to the community.

Steph with his low cost sneakers have really helped alot of needy families.

1Parker1
12-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Steph off the court is a really great player, just on court his attitude needs adjustment. Usually with athletes it's the other way around...they're great players on court but off court are very unlikeable.

angel_luv
12-03-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry to hear that.

Always hard to lose a parent but especially around the holiday season.

My prayers to him!

JMarkJohns
12-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Most people have trouble separating his "Starbury" persona from the real Marbury. I've seen the human side of him many, many times and truly believe him to be one of the best people in the NBA. When basketball is left out of the equation, he's as real, genuine and heart-felt a person as I've ever seen in the NBA.

- When he was arrested and tried for extreme DUI, instead of fighting the system, he manned up to his mistake and accepted the same punishment any person would get: 10 days in jail.

- He took a non-English-speaking, 18-year-old Barbosa under his wing, buying him his first car, helping him know the city of Phoenix and adjust to the NBA. When Marbury was traded, Barbosa openly cried and called Marbury a great friend.

- Just months after being traded from the Suns, he sent condolences to Jerry Colangelo, the very man who OKed the deal for him, when he found out Colangelo was in the hospital with prostate cancer.

- After Hurricane Katrina devastated the coast, he was one of the most out-spoken of all the athletes, openly weeping at seeing the images and the city. He donated untold amounts of money and gave of his time freely to help.

- Knowing the burden the cost of star-player sneakers are, he created a line of shoes dedicated to giving low-income families the means of providing their kids with an actual NBA player's kicks, charging just $15 dollars for the same shoes he wears in action.

I can agree that he's made some mistakes, even off the court, but everyone makes the same ones, only not in the public eye. I doubt many here have the heart of caring that Marbury does. He's a stand up man, by and large, and it saddens me to see him do poorly on the court and to have these kind of heartaches off of it.

SpursFanFirst
12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Most people have trouble separating his "Starbury" persona from the real Marbury. I've seen the human side of him many, many times and truly believe him to be one of the best people in the NBA. When basketball is left out of the equation, he's as real, genuine and heart-felt a person as I've ever seen in the NBA.

- When he was arrested and tried for extreme DUI, instead of fighting the system, he manned up to his mistake and accepted the same punishment any person would get: 10 days in jail.

- He took a non-English-speaking, 18-year-old Barbosa under his wing, buying him his first car, helping him know the city of Phoenix and adjust to the NBA. When Marbury was traded, Barbosa openly cried and called Marbury a great friend.

- Just months after being traded from the Suns, he sent condolences to Jerry Colangelo, the very man who OKed the deal for him, when he found out Colangelo was in the hospital with prostate cancer.

- After Hurricane Katrina devastated the coast, he was one of the most out-spoken of all the athletes, openly weeping at seeing the images and the city. He donated untold amounts of money and gave of his time freely to help.

- Knowing the burden the cost of star-player sneakers are, he created a line of shoes dedicated to giving low-income families the means of providing their kids with an actual NBA player's kicks, charging just $15 dollars for the same shoes he wears in action.

I can agree that he's made some mistakes, even off the court, but everyone makes the same ones, only not in the public eye. I doubt many here have the heart of caring that Marbury does. He's a stand up man, by and large, and it saddens me to see him do poorly on the court and to have these kind of heartaches off of it.

:tu
To be honest, I don't know much about him on or off the court (other than recent happenings), but it's always nice to read some positive points on athletes.

kingsfan
12-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I feel bad for him, it's been tough for him lately. If I had to watch all those Knicks games it would probably kill me too.

stretch
12-03-2007, 01:28 PM

Agreed. Marbury always seemed like a great person, and I've always liked him.

Matchman
12-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Saw this on a Knicks forum:

a family member of Stephon (and nephew of his late father), called in WFAN(Radio station in NYC), and he was very mad about how the Knicks handled the situation.

They said there was no word until after the game, when it had happened earlier. They should've told him he had a heart attack during the game, and he could've had some final moments with his dad before he passed. The caller/nephew was disgusted

Not sure if this was coming straight from Marbury, but the nephew said "This is the last time he's ever playing with them", the family is really disgusted with the Knicks right now, and caller was saying that he was "done with him".

If thats true, that would be the most messed up things i have ever heard. I hope Marbury will drop 69 points on the Knicks when he get traded to the Rockets

JMarkJohns
12-03-2007, 03:28 PM
That's so messed up I don't know what I'd do. If true, anything Marbury says about the Knicks ups and organization is justified.

bdictjames
12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Knicks are doing everything wrong possible.

I wish Marbury an All-Star season this year, and a playoff spot. But I wish Knicks would fire Isaiah first.

Jeremy
12-03-2007, 03:58 PM
That is so terrible. And if the Knicks did that...then that is just unspeakably evil.

He and his family will be in my prayers.

JamStone
12-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Have always heard great things about Marbury at least as it relates to giving back to the community and doing charitable things for people in need.

And, losing a parent is unquestionably hard for almost everyone so I hope he and his family gets through this time.

However, I would like to say all of the praise he gets for doing charitable things do not in any way take away from the fact that he does some very questionable and disturbingly stupid things. I don't know for a fact, but several interviews really show Stephon as an extremely mentally or emotionally disturbed person if not drug user (the only way I can explain some of the things he's said in front of a camera). And, while he is probably a good guy, there have been documented accounts of him mistreating females.

People often have more than one layer, more than one side, to their personality. Steph can be a great community guy and humanitarian one day, and he can be smoking weed and kicking "hoes" out of his car the next.

Everything needs perspective. I'm sure he's been a good guy to many people. But, I'm also certain he's done things that you can only shake your head at. I don't think you can praise him too much without at least acknowledging he's got some serious issues.

My condolences to him and his family for the loss of his father. But, I wouldn't anoint him a saint.

Indazone
12-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Word in NY is that the Knicks knew and didn't tell Stephon. Apparently his cousin called a radio station today to tell them that Marbury would not play for the team again because they denied him the opportunity to see his father before he died.

That is messed up. There is a good reason Larry Bird fired Isiah Thomas from the Pacers. He's a total Jackass.

JamStone
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Wait. They didn't tell him that his father died during the game. But, had they told Steph that his father died during the game, he still wouldn't have seen his father before he died. That comment doesn't make sense.

And, how do you just assume that it was Isiah's decision not to tell Stephon? And, how do you deduce that Isiah is a jackass from that?

You don't make sense.

Budkin
12-03-2007, 05:58 PM
I lost my dad unexpectedly two years ago and it still hurts like a bitch. My best wishes go out to Stephon.

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Wait. They didn't tell him that his father died during the game. But, had they told Steph that his father died during the game, he still wouldn't have seen his father before he died. That comment doesn't make sense.

And, how do you just assume that it was Isiah's decision not to tell Stephon? And, how do you deduce that Isiah is a jackass from that?

You don't make sense.
My understanding is that Mr. Marbury had had a heart attack, but had not yet passed away, when the Knicks were notified.

And had they told Stephon shortly after they had been notified, he would have had enough time to get to the hospital and see his father.

Lp26
12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
^

That's the story that's been floating around NY. A few people at my school were talking about it. If it's true, i have no words.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-03-2007, 06:14 PM
R.I.P.

Best wishes to Steph.

Indazone
12-03-2007, 06:16 PM

You don't make sense. Buy a clue will ya?

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I think if I were in Stephon's situation, I would seriously injure Isiah.

resistanze
12-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Jesus, his father was at the game. I don't know how the Knicks are going to explain this one.

resistanze
12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Of course, this assuming that the Knicks were aware.

JamStone
12-03-2007, 07:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3139858

"Don Marbury was taken from Madison Square Garden to St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center during halftime, reportedly because of chest pains, but a family member advised a Knicks official not to inform Stephon Marbury at the time."

SpursFanFirst
12-03-2007, 07:31 PM

"Don Marbury was taken from Madison Square Garden to St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center during halftime, reportedly because of chest pains, but a family member advised a Knicks official not to inform Stephon Marbury at the time."

This makes me absolutely ill. Perhaps the chest pains would've turn out to be nothing...but to withhold that information for the team's own personal gain is absolutely outrageous! He should've been notified and given the option to leave.

JamStone
12-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I only quoted the article to show that it might not have been MSG or the Knicks organization or Isiah that kept the information from him for some classless or insensitive reason. If the report is true, it was the family that asked them not to tell Stephon. So, the assumptions that Isiah is a jerk or the Knicks or MSG are classless for not telling him are misplaced.

JamStone
12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Buy a clue will ya?

Next time, don't jump to conclusions indicting people without knowing the whole story, ok?

angel_luv
12-03-2007, 07:49 PM

The family member who said not to tell Stephen might have been Stephen's dad.

My mom had chest pains back when I was 16 ( It was not long after my dad died.)

We were supposed to go on an outing with ladies from our church.
But Mom sent me ahead on the outing.
I had no idea she was sick... just thought she opted not to go.

My mom told the ladies I went with to not say anything about her chest pains to me.
Mom was hoping to go the hospital, get checked out/ medicated, and be home by the time I got back.
She didn't want to needlessly worry me.

It could have been a similar situation with Stephen's dad.

At any rate, I don't see how the Knicks can be faulted if they were indeed honoring the family's request as to when to tell Stephen.

Indazone
12-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Next time, don't jump to conclusions indicting people without knowing the whole story, ok?

Which is exactly what you did.

JamStone
12-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Actually, no. I asked how did you know it was Isiah's decision. Even in the the story you cited, Isiah wasn't even named. The cousin/nephew talked about the "Knicks organization." You went straight for the "Isiah is a jackass" comment.

Where did I make an assumption or conclusion indicting anyone?

I merely questioned whose decision it actually was to not tell Stephon. That's the opposite of making an assumption or conclusion indicting anyone.

Indazone
12-03-2007, 08:05 PM
No the Isiah is a Jackass is an opinion. One which the majority of all basketball fans will agree with. That is not based on this one incident either.

JamStone
12-03-2007, 08:11 PM
But, making the Isiah is a jackass comment in this thread based on the story of his cousin on the radio shows you made the assumption that it was Isiah who decided not to tell Stephon. Otherwise, why even talk about Isiah? You jumped to a conclusion based on your bias against Isiah. Your opinion that Isiah is a jackass has nothing to do with this story unless you blame him. And, again that was an assumption, and an inaccurate one at that.

SpursFanFirst
12-03-2007, 08:25 PM
I read it wrong, so I jumped to conclusions too :oops

But, still...it's too bad to think that he could've possible had some final moments with his dad, and it didn't happen...whatever the reason behind it.
The whole thing is terribly sad.

itzsoweezee
12-03-2007, 10:43 PM

thanks for the info. he seems like a good guy. and he makes some nice, affordable shoes (i own a couple pairs of starburys)

JMarkJohns
12-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Jamstone, no doubt Marbury can be a headcase. Hell, even the first example I gave is a major issue to me (drunk driving). I also very much dislike the recent reports that have come out. However, some questionable decisions aside, he seems like a real genuine and caring individual. I've not seen the level of compassion and charity he's shown in an individual athlete ever.

I'm not saying he should get a pass because of the good he's done, rather, just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, if I may be cliche' about the situation. Every athlete makes iffy decisions at times. Certainly some more than others, but Marbury, as flawed as he is, is probably the closest to a real person of the lot. He cares, sometimes too much. He talks, sometimes too much. He digs himself in a hole, sometimes too deep. Overall, however, I see much more good in him than bad, at least off the court. And even on it he's gotten a bad rap.

JamStone
12-04-2007, 01:11 PM
JMark, agreed. Just don't think he should presented in just one light, either way, negative or positive. It is somewhat similar to how the media handled Sean Taylor's passing. You don't have to make a pro athlete seem like he's a saint, but also you don't need to paint an athlete a complete jerkoff. Media and fans have to realize that these people have a wide range of personality and for every good, there might be a bad, and vice versa. Kobe Bryant is not the McDonald's all American family posterboy. And, Allen Iverson is not satan. That what I was getting at.

MoSpur
12-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Whatever the case, that is sad. I pray God comfort and help Stephon and his family through this time.