PDA

View Full Version : How many telephone books?

mrsmaalox
12-03-2007, 11:37 AM
How many freaking telephone books does one city need?!?! I have 3, yes 3, AT&T yellow page books. AND 2 wannabe phone books from Verizon. Do we even need phone books anymore? And aren't we trying to minimize wasting our natural resources? Does anyone know?!!

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Phone books aren't a public service.

They're an advertising and marketing mechanism by the phone companies, which is why you have so many and you hear and see ads for people to go to the other companies for advertising in their phone book.

travis2
12-03-2007, 11:41 AM
What about white pages?

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-03-2007, 11:44 AM
My point is, they're not funded by public monies. They're a service provided by the phone companies to get you to use their products and in turn, view their advertisers. Apparently, the money is good or easy enough to swing to your favor, which is why the other companies moved in on the Bells, and now, AT&T.

You use a relatively ad-free white pages from, say AT&T, and remember that you have yellow pages from the same company.

Plus, it allows the phone companies to advertise their services and make extra funds from people wanting to have unlisted numbers and such.

travis2
12-03-2007, 11:47 AM
I haven't seen a new white pages book in a long time...I'm beginning to wonder if they even still exist...

spurster
12-03-2007, 11:47 AM
In the latest round, we got the normal AT&T yellow pages and a smaller, baby brother, yellow pages. In addition to the advantage of being smaller, it had fewer entries and harder-to-read type. We kept big brother and baby brother got recycled.

mrsmaalox
12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
What about white pages?
Well now it makes sense that the only white pages I've recieved from AT&T are the business listings.

JoeChalupa
12-03-2007, 11:54 AM
In the latest round, we got the normal AT&T yellow pages and a smaller, baby brother, yellow pages. In addition to the advantage of being smaller, it had fewer entries and harder-to-read type. We kept big brother and baby brother got recycled.

Same here.

mrsmaalox
12-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Phone books aren't a public service.

They're an advertising and marketing mechanism by the phone companies, which is why you have so many and you hear and see ads for people to go to the other companies for advertising in their phone book.

Well thanks JB, that helps me with my decision; those mother-uckers are outta here!!!

ATRAIN
12-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Telephone books, they still make those? LOL

Slomo
12-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Don't you have an online version?

Condemned 2 HelLA
12-03-2007, 03:10 PM
I'd imagine that they'd be mighty handy to have around in the event Sepu comes over so he can sit on them once he gets invited to join everyone at the "grown-ups" table.

xrayzebra
12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
My answer: Recycle bin.

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
When I opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about SequSpur and the dinner table.