PDA

View Full Version : can anybody make a reasonable argument as to why...

K-State Spur
12-03-2007, 12:42 PM
KU was given a BCS nod over Mizzou?

Last laugh may be on the Orange Bowl after they discover how well KU football fans travel...

SrA Husker
12-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Mizzou was the last 2-loss team to lose, and they didn't even keep it close against a team that was ranked 5 spots below them. It's all about streaks. Plus, KU is the "sexy" story of the year.

Mizzou fans don't travel much better than KU fans, it might just seem that way because they've gone to more games recently. Mizzou didn't even sell out their Sun allotment last year IIRC - not to mention that bowls always like teams that stayed home last year because it means there are theoretically more fans willing to come and spend money this year... not to mention, travelling to a conference championship almost always detracts from bowl attendance.

degenerate_gambler
12-03-2007, 12:59 PM
on strength of schedule alone, mizzou over kansas no contest.

the only thing(s) i can see is that oklahoma made mizzou look really, really bad saturday nite and/or kansans will travel better and spend more $$ than tiger fans.

K-State Spur
12-03-2007, 01:04 PM
KU looked pretty rough at Arrowhead. Don't let the late rally fool you. KU only beat ONE team with a winning record this year, and that was 7-5 A&M. (In the one game in which they played a decent club, they were outgained by a 2:1 margin midway through the 4th quarter).

Plus, Mizzou's second loss occurred because they WON the Big 12 North by beating KU.

In essence, KU was rewarded for its final loss. I think you just have to throw logic and reason out the window in order to justify it.

mookie2001
12-03-2007, 01:08 PM
ku had less losses than mizz

MajorMike
12-03-2007, 01:32 PM
In essence, KU was rewarded for its final loss. I think you just have to throw logic and reason out the window in order to justify it.

Just like UGA was rewarded for finishing 2nd to Tenn in its division. Tenn made it to the SEC game and UGA didn't have to lose in it. Same story.

K-State Spur
12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
ku had less losses than mizz

Yes, but that's not a REASONABLE argument when you realize that Mizzou only lost an extra game because they won their division and Ku did not. Thus, Mizzou had to play OU twice this season, who Ku skipped altogether (along with Texas & Tech - it was the easiest conference schedule in the history of this conference).

mookie2001
12-03-2007, 03:35 PM
yeah but the win loss record comes first, youre making the bcs more subjective and complicated then it already is

JamStone
12-03-2007, 04:05 PM
I think Mizzou would have had a stronger argument had they lost to Oklahoma by less than 10 points. But, since they got trucked, along with Kansas having only one loss, it hurt their argument even though they went to the conference championship game and Kansas didn't.

K-State Spur
12-03-2007, 06:25 PM
yeah but the win loss record comes first, youre making the bcs more subjective and complicated then it already is

It's not really subjective. It's just flat out common sense that Mizzou had the same record as KU over the course of 12 games. Missouri wouldn't have had the opportunity to lose a second game if it had not one their own division.

Anytime you punish a team for WINNING, how much more flawed can you get?

mookie2001
12-03-2007, 07:22 PM
no they got punished for losing

scott
12-03-2007, 09:00 PM
At the same time, can anyone explain how Mizzou is ranked above OU in the computers?

Also, how is VaTech ranked about LSU (and everyone else, they are #1) in the computers?

SrA Husker
12-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Two points:

The Big 12 Championship was NOT a sellout, by a good 3-4,000. There's no excuse for Mizzou fans not to pack the house to the rafters for this once-in-a-lifetime event (Missouri hasn't won a conference championship in ANY sport since the Cuban Missile Crisis - so yes, it IS a once-in-a-lifetime event)

As Dodd put it:

Shame on Missouri fans. The Big 12 championship game wasn't a sellout by about a couple of thousand at the Alamodome. There's no excuse for the Tigers having to beg, borrow or steal their way to San Antonio to see this once-in-a-lifetime event.

Their team was No. 1 for the first time in 47 years, a game away from playing for the national championship. If you can't buy up every ticket available in that scenario, you never will.

Missouri fans, you went down a notch in my eyes.

Attendance has been a recent problem for the Orange Bowl. KU guaranteed ticket sales. That, combined with Mizzou's poor fan travel is why KU got the bid.

K-State Spur
12-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Two points:

The Big 12 Championship was NOT a sellout, by a good 3-4,000. There's no excuse for Mizzou fans not to pack the house to the rafters for this once-in-a-lifetime event (Missouri hasn't won a conference championship in ANY sport since the Cuban Missile Crisis - so yes, it IS a once-in-a-lifetime event)

As Dodd put it:

Attendance has been a recent problem for the Orange Bowl. KU guaranteed ticket sales. That, combined with Mizzou's poor fan travel is why KU got the bid.

KU's already discounting some of those tickets by more than half. Their fans save up for March.

SrA Husker
12-03-2007, 11:07 PM
KU's already discounting some of those tickets by more than half. Their fans save up for March.

Discount or not, who cares? They are going to put butts in the seats. The Orange Bowl will still get their money (KU AD pays the difference on the discounted seats), the Orange Bowl will still get a full stadium. Missouri practically gave away Sun bowl tickets last year (offered students what amounted to a free bus trip and hotel) and still couldn't fill up the small Sun Bowl. And they couldn't make a day-long drive to San Antonio, what makes anyone think they would go to Miami?

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2007, 06:58 AM
imo, Kansas is a better team than Mizzou. when i watched the Kansas v. Mizzou game i couldn't believe how many unforced mistakes the Jayhawks kept making...2 missed field goals and 2 turnovers inside Mizzou's 20 yard line...unfortunate. and the Jayhawks ended up losing, basically, by 6...

i think if the game was played again Kansas would win, i understand it won't be and Kansas lost, but that type of thinking coupled with Mizzou having 2 loses...including Mizzou losing most recently put Kansas in.

K-State Spur
12-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Discount or not, who cares? They are going to put butts in the seats. The Orange Bowl will still get their money (KU AD pays the difference on the discounted seats), the Orange Bowl will still get a full stadium. Missouri practically gave away Sun bowl tickets last year (offered students what amounted to a free bus trip and hotel) and still couldn't fill up the small Sun Bowl. And they couldn't make a day-long drive to San Antonio, what makes anyone think they would go to Miami?

You don't discount tickets that are in high demand. Financially, the Orange Bowl is safe thanks to KU's guarantee, but I doubt they get much more than 10,000 Hawks in the seats.

Mizzou sold out their Cotton Bowl allotment of 14,000 in just a couple of hours yesterday.

Yes, they should have drawn better to San Antonio (it's a bad idea to play the game an hour south of the farthest southern school in the conference), but bearing in mind that it was a game before the holiday season being played 10+ hours away that they didn't know they were playing in until late Saturday night the week before, it's not completely inexcusable. Also bearing in mind that they were #1 in the nation at the time, many of their fans may have been hedging their bets to go to the bowl game (as their ticket sales indicated).

K-State Spur
12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
imo, Kansas is a better team than Mizzou. when i watched the Kansas v. Mizzou game i couldn't believe how many unforced mistakes the Jayhawks kept making...2 missed field goals and 2 turnovers inside Mizzou's 20 yard line...unfortunate. and the Jayhawks ended up losing, basically, by 6...

i think if the game was played again Kansas would win, i understand it won't be and Kansas lost, but that type of thinking coupled with Mizzou having 2 loses...including Mizzou losing most recently put Kansas in.

ridiculous. Missouri outgained KU by a huge margin (which was over a 2:1 ratio until the Jayhawks late rally). If the Tigers hadn't kept shooting themselves in the foot with penalties (some of which were questionable), Missouri's got a 30 point lead in the 4th quarter.

KU did not beat one team this year that won 8 games. They only beat one team that won 7. Missouri beat Tech, Illinois, outplayed OU in Norman in a loss, and handled KU on a neutral field until the final 2 minutes.

You play that game 10 times, Mizzou wins 8.

Now, after defending Mizzou in about 4 different posts, I need to go vomit a little bit.

K-State Spur
12-04-2007, 03:23 PM
KU AD Lew Perkins is drawing some heat from the Big 12 office for his "guarantee."

(Which if you think about it, if KU is eating some money on this, is it really that different from a 'bribe'?)

K-State Spur
12-05-2007, 03:15 AM
no they got punished for losing

let me rephrase. ku BENEFITTED by finishing second in their division and not having to play in the championship game...in what world does that make sense?

Extra Stout
12-05-2007, 09:12 AM
let me rephrase. ku BENEFITTED by finishing second in their division and not having to play in the championship game...in what world does that make sense?
1. Mizzou failed to sell out their ticket allotment in San Antonio.

2. Kansas guaranteed the Orange Bowl a minimum level of ticket sales.

3. Bowls are about making money, not about rewarding teams based upon merit.

What more is there to say?

MajorMike
12-05-2007, 11:07 AM
1. Mizzou failed to sell out their ticket allotment in San Antonio.

2. Kansas guaranteed the Orange Bowl a minimum level of ticket sales.

3. Bowls are about making money, not about rewarding teams based upon merit.

What more is there to say?

And there you have it.

Seriously, do you think the BCS Bowls who pick a 9-win ND over a 11-win KState do it because they think ND is better? Its all about the benjamins.

MajorMike
12-05-2007, 07:35 PM
no it's because notre dame fucked your mom

hard

Yea, well I had her 1st and I'm Catholic, too. You are just jealous.