PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan's MRI results are in . . .

Bruno
12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/

December 03, 2007

Tim Duncan's MRI results came back Monday afternoon negative, which is positive for the Spurs and their franchise player.

There is no ligament damage in his right knee, which he injured while tangling with Portland's James Jones in Sunday afternoon's game.

The Spurs are officially listing Duncan with a sprained right ankle, though his right knee remains bruised and sore for the time being. He is being ruled out of Wednesday's game against Dallas, after which time his condition will be updated.

He could miss a game. He could miss two weeks. But either is much better than the alternative.

loveforthegame
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Thank you!!

Good news for Duncan and the Spurs. I'm sure there is relief all around.

bdictjames
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Thank God.

BigVee
12-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Hallefuckinluya

romain.star
12-03-2007, 03:42 PM
good... very good news

timvp
12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Good to hear. :tu

You never want to see your franchise's leg buckle and then fall on top of the buckled leg.

Even though the Spurs have a tough stretch, might as well sit him out until Christmas.

FromWayDowntown
12-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Wonderful news for Timmy and the Spurs!

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Good to hear. :tu

You never want to see your franchise's leg buckle and then fall on top of the buckled leg.

Even though the Spurs have a tough stretch, might as well sit him out until Christmas.
Fool's gold.

Jimcs50 predicted there would be nothing wrong with Tim. Fate has been set in motion.

Tim needs to watch out for falling pianos.

Bruno
Spurs schedule for the next 2 weeks :
Wed 05 vs Dallas
Fri 07 vs Utah
Tue 11 @ Golden State
Thu 13 @ LA Lakers
Sat 15 vs Denver
Mon 17 vs Phoenix
Wed 19 @ Memphis
Sat 22 vs LA Clippers

Maybe Duncan will only miss two games and be back for the Warriors game.

Solid D
:elephant

fred33
12-03-2007, 03:51 PM
duncan on the benc for dallas and utah and on for golden state

ArgSpursFan.
12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
It'll be a good reference to play without Timmy for a couple of games,in order to realize where we are at, as far as our big men progress from last season to this one.
I wanna see Bonner and Elson steping up (at least 10/6 a peace) and playing some friking D.

themvp
12-03-2007, 03:54 PM
YES! :blah

Texas_Ranger
12-03-2007, 03:56 PM
WAWAWIWA!!!:spin

florige
12-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p:

Man In Black
12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I'll see him for both GS and LA. Will be there for both games rooting for him and the rest of the Spurs!!!

Man of Steel
12-03-2007, 04:02 PM
So there Suns fans...those of you hoping Tim would be on his death bed.

Go fuck yourselves....

BeerIsGood!
12-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Good News. I'd just sit him out for at least three weeks to make sure the ankle heals, but the competitor Timmy is going to be pining to jump back in as soon as the ankle feels better. I'd still hold him out until January, he'd only miss 11 games.

lurker
12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Glad to hear his injury isn't serious.

With the way my Mavs are playing now, I won't be surprised if they still end up losing to the Duncan-less Spurs.

ancestron
12-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Yay!!! :)

Pistons < Spurs
12-03-2007, 04:07 PM
:clap :clap

Budkin
12-03-2007, 04:13 PM
THANK THE GODS!!! :clap :clap :clap!!!

nfg3
12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Boy is this a relief! :tu Hope Pop sits him for at least the next 3 games or so. Give his body time to rest.

duncan228
12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Breathing again...

41times
12-03-2007, 04:16 PM
That is terrific news!

As a Mavs fan I would never ever wish anything bad to happen to Timmy.

The only superstars that i would not care if they came up lame is DumbWade and Big Fat Shaq. Being 7 feet Tall and 300 lbs does not make you a top 50 player! and DumbWade is just a puss.

usckk
12-03-2007, 04:17 PM
OMG!!!! I could not sleep last night because of this!!! I'm so glad he is okay. The knee was what was important. Ligament damage there will automatically result in season-ending surgery. A sprained ankle is not as severe. Furthermore, he wears ankle-braces.

SO GRATEFUL!!!!!

duncan228
12-03-2007, 04:21 PM
ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3139964

Spurs treating Duncan's knee as 'short-term' injury
By Marc Stein

The San Antonio Spurs received some encouraging news Monday afternoon when an MRI exam came back negative on Tim Duncan's right knee and right ankle, both injured in the first half of Sunday's home victory over Portland.

Duncan has been ruled out of Wednesday's ESPN-televised showdown with San Antonio's longstanding rivals from Dallas, but Spurs spokesman Tom James said that a firm diagnosis on how long Duncan will be out is at least a day or two away.

The Spurs say they want to see how Duncan responds to treatment before putting an estimate on his return date. But they are treating it as a short-term injury, which naturally comes as a great relief to the defending champs. Things didn't look especially promising when Duncan went down hard after tangling with Portland's James Jones in the second quarter Sunday, with the two-time MVP requiring the help of teammates to leave the floor.

San Antonio announced after the game that Duncan had suffered a bruised knee and a sprained right ankle but also that an X-ray examination revealed that his ligaments appeared to be stable.

"It's more scary than anything else -- at least that's what I'm hoping," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said initially.

Although Duncan's right knee is still sore, he'll be listed as inactive with a sprained right ankle Wednesday when the Mavericks visit the AT&T Center for the first time season. The Mavs won the teams' first meeting in Dallas on Nov. 15.

Even if Duncan winds up missing a week or two, San Antonio has a favorable schedule in December to cope with his absence. The Spurs are one of only two teams in the league still unbeaten at home this season at 10-0 -- Boston is the other at 9-0 -- and will be on the road for only three of their 12 games this month.

duncan228
12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Spurs spokesman Tom James says in the ESPN article that they'll assess Duncan's response to treatment and decide how long he'll be out.
In this one, from SI.com, he says Duncan will probably return in the next few games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/12/03/duncan.spurs.ap/index.html

Duncan's ankle injury not serious

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Tim Duncan most likely will miss no more than a few games after injuring his ankle and knee.

The San Antonio Spurs star was hurt against Portland on Sunday, and the team said his MRI came back negative Monday.

He has a sprained right ankle and will miss Wednesday's game against Dallas, Spurs spokesman Tom James said. The injury will be reassessed this week, and Duncan probably will return in the next few games.

"It's not a big deal at all," James said.

Duncan bruised his right knee and sprained his right ankle during the second quarter. He became entangled with Portland's James Jones and fell near the Spurs' basket with 7:40 left in the half.

He grabbed his knee and had to be helped off the floor by two teammates. He did not return to the game, which the Spurs won 100-79.

Duncan, a two-time NBA MVP, is averaging 17.6 points and 8.9 rebounds this season.

Sweetey
12-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Thank you, Lord ! Bonner will step up now and show us what he has. We are NOT a one-man show and we will prove it.

Get back soon, Tim !!! We love ya !!

mVp
12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Great news :)

bigfan
12-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Just a note on the two positive comments from Mav fans. Thanks for the class. Should still be a good game on Wednesday too.

porscha
12-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Thank God. :clap
get well soon timmy :cheer :cheer :cheer

porscha
12-03-2007, 05:19 PM
is manu's finger ok too?

Phenomanul
12-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Should Duncan wear a knee brace when he decides to (or is cleared to) come back and play?

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Lucky he isnt a Nugget or else it would have been career ending :lol

waly.mg
12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Spurs schedule for the next 2 weeks :
Wed 05 vs Dallas
Fri 07 vs Utah
Tue 11 @ Golden State
Thu 13 @ LA Lakers
Sat 15 vs Denver
Mon 17 vs Phoenix
Wed 19 @ Memphis
Sat 22 vs LA Clippers

Maybe Duncan will only miss two games and be back for the Warriors game.

Calm down
I want TD Back for Denver, the GS game is next Tuesday and on the road, LAL is thursday, Denver is at home on saturday in SA with + 10 days of rest

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
oooooo i didn't realise the Nuggets play the Spurs soon. I hope TD is back by then and strong also.

duncan228
12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Should Duncan wear a knee brace when he decides to (or is cleared to) come back and play?

He was wearing one on his left knee early in the season.
And on his right elbow for a few games.

I assume he'll do what he needs to.

whottt
12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
So this officially ends the timvp suicide watch? Good thing...

I was way more worried about timvp than I was Duncan. :tu

sendman
12-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Let Tim rest as long as it takes.

12-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I'am here to say to mr.duncan to get well.

RonMexico
12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Unfortunately for the Spurs, this puts in jeopardy their cycle of tanking the season and obtaining the #1 pick in the NBA draft (see: 1988, 1996) in order to win more championships.

Although I think only Kevin Love would fit into this team from a fundamentals and personality standpoint... and I don't think he's near the athlete D-Rob and Duncan are.

Bruno
12-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Calm down
I want TD Back for Denver

I want TD back when he will be healthy. It could be for the Warriors, the Denver game or even in January.

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately for the Spurs, this puts in jeopardy their cycle of tanking the season and obtaining the #1 pick in the NBA draft (see: 1988, 1996) in order to win more championships.

Although I think only Kevin Love would fit into this team from a fundamentals and personality standpoint... and I don't think he's near the athlete D-Rob and Duncan are.
Note the contrast between Mav fan (Texan, class) and Sun fan (Cali-wannabe, douchebag).

Please just transfer to U of A.

Rummpd
12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
He will rest for two weeks - it is prudent and you don't want to rush back after two injuries on a fall after that - one out of the loop doctors opinion!

FromWayDowntown
12-03-2007, 05:50 PM

Good history! The Spurs pulled off the David Robinson tank-job (Alvin Robertson, Walter Berry, Jon Sunvold, an injured Mike Mitchell, and an aging Artis Gilmore all thank you for over-valuing their abilities; it takes the sting out of the 1986 First Round sweep in which the Lakers swept the Spurs with a 32 ppg average margin -- I believe that's still the most lopsided playoff series ever) in 1986-87. Of course, they did a crappy job of tanking that season, managing to tank their way to the league's 4th worst record.

Dingle Barry
12-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Note the contrast between Mav fan (Texan, class) and Sun fan (Cali-wannabe, douchebag).

Get a sense of humor.

J.T.
12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Sit him for the rest of the season and bring him back in April so the Mavs get the top seed and get knocked off by an 8th seeded Spurs team. That would all but kill their franchise.

RonMexico
12-03-2007, 05:52 PM

You bite your tongue... (a) I live in Houston; (b) I don't want to be from Cali and blame the Cali rejects for ruining Arizona and Phoenix with their terrible driving, bad attitudes, and fairweather fandom.

I wasn't wishing ill-will on the Spurs or Duncan. I just find the humor in tanking to get D-Rob and then when he went down 8 years later, tanking to get Duncan. Mix it up in a bowl, win 4 titles, then repeat the process again in 2008.

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Get a sense of humor.
Suns fans are not something to joke about, son. They're a national tragedy.

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 05:54 PM
You bite your tongue... (a) I live in Houston; (b) I don't want to be from Cali and blame the Cali rejects for ruining Arizona and Phoenix with their terrible driving, bad attitudes, and fairweather fandom.

I wasn't wishing ill-will on the Spurs or Duncan. I just find the humor in tanking to get D-Rob and then when he went down 8 years later, tanking to get Duncan. Mix it up in a bowl, win 4 titles, then repeat the process again in 2008.
Tanking jokes were funny when I did them last year. They're not funny when you do them.

RonMexico
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Good history! The Spurs pulled off the David Robinson tank-job (Alvin Robertson, Walter Berry, Jon Sunvold, an injured Mike Mitchell, and an aging Artis Gilmore all thank you for over-valuing their abilities; it takes the sting out of the 1986 First Round sweep in which the Lakers swept the Spurs with a 32 ppg average margin -- I believe that's still the most lopsided playoff series ever) in 1986-87. Of course, they did a crappy job of tanking that season, managing to tank their way to the league's 4th worst record.

Yeah, I just think it's funny that they landed two franchise-caliber centers (well, Duncan is a power forward for All-Star purposes) 8 years apart, while the Suns haven't been able to land one in 40 years.

It's mostly jealousy... and the fact that the Spurs can get the #1 pick with only the 4th worst record, while the Suns can't even get Atlanta's pick to fall out of the top 3... that, and they lost the coin flip for Kareem in 1969.

FromWayDowntown
12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I just think it's funny that they landed two franchise-caliber centers (well, Duncan is a power forward for All-Star purposes) 8 years apart, while the Suns haven't been able to land one in 40 years.

It's mostly jealousy... and the fact that the Spurs can get the #1 pick with only the 4th worst record, while the Suns can't even get Atlanta's pick to fall out of the top 3... that, and they lost the coin flip for Kareem in 1969.

Fair enough. I just find the notion of the 86-87 Spurs "tanking" a season to be laughable.

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 05:58 PM

And what might that tell you about God, son?

timvp
12-03-2007, 05:59 PM
So this officially ends the Mavs championship hopes? Sad news...

I may have to off myself. :td

jaespur21
12-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Awesome...ppl tried FNing with me all day. knowing im a big fan, everyone was saying he was out and done. i even got shit when i was doing my community service hours. Its great to get this news.

dropstep4421
12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
whew!!!!!

duncan228
12-03-2007, 06:10 PM
:lmao at whottt and timvp.
All is well on ST.

whottt
12-03-2007, 06:11 PM
:td

Good to see you back in action my friend. It's no fun beating a depressed guy in FF :tu

RonMexico
12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
And what might that tell you about God, son?

OMG!!! It means he's a Spurs fan!

RonMexico
12-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Fair enough. I just find the notion of the 86-87 Spurs "tanking" a season to be laughable.

What's even funnier is that the 2007-2008 Mavs are acting like they're tanking.

duncanchick21
12-03-2007, 06:27 PM
:clap :downspin: Thank God he's okay!!! Thanks for the update guys!!!!

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
OMG!!! It means he's a Spurs fan!
Then don't you want to be right with God?

Just pray to God and tell him you are truly sorry for all the Suns in your life, and you will be forgiven.

dbreiden83080
12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Thank GOD Tim is OK. :toast Living in NY it was hard to get any updates on him at all driving home from work. All anyone is talking about is Eli Manning and how shitty he is. I knew though if something awful had come back on the MRI and he was done for the year i would have heard something right away because that is a HUGE story, nomatter where you live. Sit him for as long as it takes, 2 weeks, a month whatever, it is only Dec, we want to be playing in JUNE!!!

SpursFanFirst
12-03-2007, 06:33 PM
This is awesome news! Thanks to everyone who kept this site updated! :clap

polandprzem
12-03-2007, 06:43 PM
thank you Bruno
thank you whott
thank you timvp

I needed that right now

T Park
12-03-2007, 06:52 PM
that wooshing sound was the deflation of the hopes of the Suns Mavericks and Celtics.

Dirk Nowitzki
12-03-2007, 07:10 PM
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant GO SPURS GO! GO SPURS GO! GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

SpursFanFirst
12-03-2007, 07:33 PM
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant GO SPURS GO! GO SPURS GO! GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

That's very nice of you, Dirk!

Kamnik
12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
inhaled when saw the topic....

read the news

exaled....

REPEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exstatic
12-03-2007, 07:57 PM
You people who want to sit him until christmas or the ASG don't realize it, but you have to both adjust to playing without Tim, and then adjust to playing WITH Tim again. That's just too much fucking adjusting for a minor set of injuries. He can have two games off, but then his azz better be back on the court. That would give him 8 days off, more than enough time to recoup from a minor ankle sprain and a knee bruise.

dbreiden83080
12-03-2007, 08:06 PM
You people who want to sit him until christmas or the ASG don't realize it, but you have to both adjust to playing without Tim, and then adjust to playing WITH Tim again. That's just too much fucking adjusting for a minor set of injuries. He can have two games off, but then his azz better be back on the court. That would give him 8 days off, more than enough time to recoup from a minor ankle sprain and a knee bruise.

And what is that adjustment going to cost the Spurs?? A game here and there. Spurs are still good enough to beat the mediocre teams soundly without Tim. They just won't beat any of the eilte teams. I am all for losing some games with Tim out and losing a few more when he comes back trying to re-adjust as long as I know Timmy will be 100% for the playoffs.

ClingingMars
12-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Good to hear.

Better now than the playoffs, the Spurs don't care too much about the regular season anyway, as long as they get in the playoffs.

-Mars

clubalien
12-03-2007, 09:01 PM
tim going down is just the opportunity ian needs to win the starting position

Nashfan
12-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Nice to know Duncans injury wasn't as bad as it looked. I hate injuries to any player!

clubalien
12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Positive' news about Terry Glenn

After visiting with WR Terry Glenn this morning, Jerry Jones relayed news to reporters that Glenn has a "real shot" to help the Cowboys this season. Glenn, who had two arthroscopic surgeries during the preseason, is still rehabbing his right knee.

"He sure is positive," Jerry said, "and it's feeling good for him."

Jerry declined to speculate on a timetable for Glenn's return to the field. Glenn has yet to practice or run routes. He is running and working on strengthening the knee before testing it on the field. Glenn walked by while we chatted with Jerry, heading to the weight room and moving without a noticeable limp.

Jerry said it was possible that Glenn could help the Cowboys in the playoffs without playing a down during the regular season.

"It's going to be a feel thing," Jerry said. "We'll have to get a good feel. Once he physically feels like making the cuts and making runs, it won't be long after that that should be able to help us."

ClingingMars
12-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Positive' news about Terry Glenn

After visiting with WR Terry Glenn this morning, Jerry Jones relayed news to reporters that Glenn has a "real shot" to help the Cowboys this season. Glenn, who had two arthroscopic surgeries during the preseason, is still rehabbing his right knee.

"He sure is positive," Jerry said, "and it's feeling good for him."

Jerry declined to speculate on a timetable for Glenn's return to the field. Glenn has yet to practice or run routes. He is running and working on strengthening the knee before testing it on the field. Glenn walked by while we chatted with Jerry, heading to the weight room and moving without a noticeable limp.

Jerry said it was possible that Glenn could help the Cowboys in the playoffs without playing a down during the regular season.

"It's going to be a feel thing," Jerry said. "We'll have to get a good feel. Once he physically feels like making the cuts and making runs, it won't be long after that that should be able to help us."

even better news!!!

it's not like we need him as opposed to Duncan during the regular season...but Glenn sure will help come playoff time...and be FRESH.

-Mars

Ignignokt
12-03-2007, 09:53 PM
that wooshing sound was the deflation of Tpork's mattress.

TMTTRIO
12-03-2007, 10:27 PM
great news to hear Timmy's going to be ok :)

RonMexico
12-03-2007, 10:40 PM
that wooshing sound was the deflation of the hopes of the Suns Mavericks and Celtics.

This is very true. If TD was out for the season, then Sarver's cheap ass move of getting rid of Kurt Thomas would have been brilliant. Alas, we just have to hope that Manu takes one of his flops too far and somehow knocks out TP, TD, and himself...

bigfundamental21
12-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Breathing again...
Me too.

Almost like life stopped while we waited for news. Glad to hear Timmy will be fine and just hoping to see our team respond with a victory over the Mavs on Wednesday.

T Park
12-04-2007, 01:29 AM

Eh, let him sit till christmas.

The post season matters more.

spursfan09
12-04-2007, 01:38 AM
This is very true. If TD was out for the season, then Sarver's cheap ass move of getting rid of Kurt Thomas would have been brilliant. Alas, we just have to hope that Manu takes one of his flops too far and somehow knocks out TP, TD, and himself...

Or if Manu can flop as well as Nash did, he can cause Tim and Tony to run off the bench and have them suspended for a game to.

slayermin
12-04-2007, 04:37 AM
Or if Manu can flop as well as Nash did, he can cause Tim and Tony to run off the bench and have them suspended for a game to.

If you recall, Denver flagrant fouled Manu after he killed them the entire game in game three from 2005. If memory serves, it was K-Mart, Melo, and Buckner all triple fouling Manu.

In the background, you will see the Spurs bench standup but the coaches made sure no one left the bench area. Everyone on the Spurs knows their role.

mattyc
12-04-2007, 06:28 AM
We can manage that. Phew.

1Parker1
12-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Wow, this really makes you wonder just how lucky the Spurs have been over the years to be relatively injury free and to take the wins they get now, cuz it could be a lot worse! One season ending injury to our big 4 and you can pretty much kiss our chances of repeating goodbye!

RonMexico
12-04-2007, 10:24 AM

Equally beneficial.

spursfan09
12-04-2007, 02:05 PM
:lol

jmard5
12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Alrighty.

makedamnsure
12-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Well yay. All the fags here in Dallas were quite disappointed when they heard the news that he was okay though...

Roxsfan
12-05-2007, 12:44 AM
good to hear.

Avitus1
12-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Good news for us all.

howbouthemspurs
12-05-2007, 01:41 PM
from Germany , that is great news!