PDA

View Full Version : Week Five Power Ranking ESPN

ATRAIN
12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.........WHAT an Idiot

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2008&week=5

JamStone
12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Orlando's playing great. But, that's funny how Stein wants to justify Orlando as the number one team by saying they only lose to the really good teams. Well if they lose to the really good teams, they're probably not better than those really good teams.

Findog
12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Dallas should be lower.

Kriz-Maxima
12-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Fuuuck we are in the top ten, almost in the top five. Get us out, get us out.

So the magic are one because they only lose to very good teams and the Suns are second because they beat orlando twice. The celtics are third in spite of only beating 4 teams over .500 but the Spurs are fourth because...Tim got injured?

JamStone
12-03-2007, 04:15 PM

So the magic are one because they only lose to very good teams and the Suns are second because they beat orlando twice. The celtics are third in spite of only beating 4 teams over .500 but the Spurs are fourth because...Tim got injured?

great logic, isn't it?

Cry Havoc
12-03-2007, 04:24 PM
ESPN: The Worldwide Leader in Sports, where hype, a 13-4 record, and zero postseason success is better than a completely dominant 14-2, or 15-3 with 4 trophies!

Stein just needs to stop. There is NO WAY you can consider Phoenix a better team than the Spurs or Celtics right now. No justifiable logic at all could even possibly come to that conclusion. It's not even debatable.

BonnerDynasty
12-03-2007, 04:26 PM
http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/

Phoenix (2) 13-4 Off: 111.3 (5), Def: 105.5 (13) -- Grant Hill had a LeBron-esque line with 28 points (on 13-of-17), eight boards, seven assists and three steals in Sunday's win over the Knicks.

Not bad old man. :hat

Extra Stout
ESPN Power Rankings are really important. I'm glad people are up in arms about this. Where is the justice? What good are championships if the Spurs can't be #1 in a December power ranking?

Findog
^ But it will generate traffic when people link to it, such as above. Sports journalists are trolls, they write shit to get you to respond. The freedarko guy admitted as much to me.

Cry Havoc
12-03-2007, 04:50 PM
ESPN Power Rankings are really important. I'm glad people are up in arms about this. Where is the justice? What good are championships if the Spurs can't be #1 in a December power ranking?

A) It's good discussion material.

B) Stein gets PAID to write said material. Doesn't it bother you that someone who obviously has very little clue as to what has happened in the NBA season so far is in charge of one of the most-read weekly articles on the largest sports website in the US?

C) I have the Celts at #1. I really don't care where the Spurs rank, I just find this piece of editorialism absolute rubbish at the best of times. The fact that ESPN, a well-reputed authority of reporting in the sporting world continues to give credence to this loon is somewhat galling. Besides, it's not just Spurs fans that find these rankings ridiculous.

703 Spurz
12-03-2007, 04:58 PM
great logic, isn't it?

Logic need not apply to "Power" Rankings

bdubya
12-03-2007, 05:08 PM

And beating the Bronless Cavs and two .500 EC teams is enough to jump us from tenth to SIXTH? I think not... :rolleyes

Shank
12-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Orlando/GS tonight should be a blast

da_suns_fan__
12-03-2007, 05:17 PM
ESPN: The Worldwide Leader in Sports, where hype, a 13-4 record, and zero postseason success is better than a completely dominant 14-2, or 15-3 with 4 trophies!

Stein just needs to stop. There is NO WAY you can consider Phoenix a better team than the Spurs or Celtics right now. No justifiable logic at all could even possibly come to that conclusion. It's not even debatable.

Hater forum.

btw - I can't believe there are still people out there who don't understand what "power rankings" are.

CryHavoc is the proof.

According to him, Boston should have been number one in power rankings every week for the past fifty years (since I believe they've ALWAYS had the most championships).

sprrs
12-03-2007, 05:24 PM

B) Stein gets PAID to write said material. Doesn't it bother you that someone who obviously has very little clue as to what has happened in the NBA season so far is in charge of one of the most-read weekly articles on the largest sports website in the US?

C) I have the Celts at #1. I really don't care where the Spurs rank, I just find this piece of editorialism absolute rubbish at the best of times. The fact that ESPN, a well-reputed authority of reporting in the sporting world continues to give credence to this loon is somewhat galling. Besides, it's not just Spurs fans that find these rankings ridiculous.

Stein's one of the best writers ESPN has. He may be off base as far as the Magic being #1, but generally it's not too bad.

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
For petty minds.

Stein is a tremendous basketball writer and I usually enjoy what he reads. Power rankings are just a silly, subjective little tradition that has carried on because for some reason fans get irrationally passionate about whether a random writer ranks a team #5 or #8 on some list that has no bearing on anything, five weeks into the regular season.

:dramaquee Oh, heavens. What a travesty it is that the network that brought us such serious journalistic bulwarks as Stephen A. Smith and Bill Simmons could stoop so low as to have Marc Stein of all people writing for them!

RonMexico
12-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Hater forum.

btw - I can't believe there are still people out there who don't understand what "power rankings" are.

CryHavoc is the proof.

According to him, Boston should have been number one in power rankings every week for the past fifty years (since I believe they've ALWAYS had the most championships).

Hahaha - nicely put DSF.

Secret to Spurs' success - have your franchise player go down for the year, tank the season, get #1 pick, win championships. Repeat process every 8 to 11 years.

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
The Minneapolis Lakers are on Line 1.

RonMexico
12-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Cry Havoc simply lives up to his name way too much *tear*

nkdlunch
12-03-2007, 08:00 PM
this is fucking stupid. By their logic Boston should be #1 since they haven't played good teams, which means they haven't lost to good teams like Orlando.

TDMVPDPOY
12-03-2007, 08:43 PM
you guys are so pumped up for rankns...

what matters is in june

Kriz-Maxima
12-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Why, what happens in june?

:spin

resistanze
12-03-2007, 09:02 PM

The final Power Rankings edition!

Kriz-Maxima
12-03-2007, 09:15 PM
The final Power Rankings edition!

HOOOORAY!

Stargazer
12-03-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to blame Suns' fans for this travesty . . . .

Kriz-Maxima
12-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Damn, for once could the Suns fan try not to be the center of attention.

Cry Havoc
12-03-2007, 10:16 PM
For petty minds.

Oh, yes. God forbid we depart from such witty subject matter as "Why Sam Cassell looks like an alien." or "Stupid Quotes From Mark Cuban." "Carmelo Anthony: THUG" is brilliantly titled, and "Kobe Show On Now" just screams objectivity.

I didn't start the thread anyway, and you took it upon yourself to click it and comment on it. Calling someone of feeble mind because they want to discuss an article posted to ESPN? That's pretty weak itself.

Stein is a tremendous basketball writer and I usually enjoy what he reads. Power rankings are just a silly, subjective little tradition that has carried on because for some reason fans get irrationally passionate about whether a random writer ranks a team #5 or #8 on some list that has no bearing on anything, five weeks into the regular season.

I rather enjoy Stein's writing for the most part as well. Perhaps that's why this irks me -- I've come to expect better of him in the past.

Hater forum.

Uh, teams that have played the best basketball in the season, especially the past week = highest ranked? Please show me evidence to support a 13-4 record with a lower point differential being superior to a 14-2 record with the league's widest point differential? As our good buddy John Hollinger has stated, the latter is the most indicative of title runs.

If they could put the team that won 11 championships out there on the floor, young, healthy, and in their prime? I very well might! Duncan's knee aside, the Spurs -have- been healthy, and this is the same team that won the championship last year. But good attempt a troll, anyway.

Hahaha - nicely put DSF.

Secret to Spurs' success - have your franchise player go down for the year, tank the season, get #1 pick, win championships. Repeat process every 8 to 11 years.

:lol

Cry Havoc simply lives up to his name way too much *tear*

Hey... how did you get in the U.S.? I thought they were cracking down on illegal immigrants. Why don't you go get in a fight with all the Suns fans about how much D_S_F sucks you all off like in the last power rankings thread?

The final Phoenix Suns spooge edition!

FTFY.

RonMexico
12-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Oh, yes. God forbid we depart from such witty subject matter as "Why Sam Cassell looks like an alien." or "Stupid Quotes From Mark Cuban." "Carmelo Anthony: THUG" is brilliantly titled, and "Kobe Show On Now" just screams objectivity.

I didn't start the thread anyway, and you took it upon yourself to click it and comment on it. Calling someone of feeble mind because they want to discuss an article posted to ESPN? That's pretty weak itself.

I rather enjoy Stein's writing for the most part as well. Perhaps that's why this irks me -- I've come to expect better of him in the past.

Uh, teams that have played the best basketball in the season, especially the past week = highest ranked? Please show me evidence to support a 13-4 record with a lower point differential being superior to a 14-2 record with the league's widest point differential? As our good buddy John Hollinger has stated, the latter is the most indicative of title runs.

If they could put the team that won 11 championships out there on the floor, young, healthy, and in their prime? I very well might! Duncan's knee aside, the Spurs -have- been healthy, and this is the same team that won the championship last year. But good attempt a troll, anyway.

:lol

Hey... how did you get in the U.S.? I thought they were cracking down on illegal immigrants. Why don't you go get in a fight with all the Suns fans about how much D_S_F sucks you all off like in the last power rankings thread?

FTFY.

Italians built this country - we have never been illegal immigrants.

Extra Stout
12-04-2007, 09:48 AM

Those other threads are pure gold.

ESPN also posts articles on "WHO'S NOW," and on changes on the shoulder trim on West Calinumbrian State's basketball uniforms, which of course are weighty matters.

Cry Havoc
12-04-2007, 10:01 AM
changes on the shoulder trim on West Calinumbrian State's basketball uniforms, which of course are weighty matters.

Dude, of course they are. How could you ever call yourself a true sports fan if you weren't aware of such details? :spin

Findog
12-04-2007, 10:27 AM
what did S.Jackson get suspended for?

Packing heat.

Darkwaters
12-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm still waiting for someone to blame Suns' fans for this travesty . . . .

And I'm still waiting on the Suns to blame Robert Horry.

Darkwaters
12-04-2007, 11:27 AM

http://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpghttp://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpghttp://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpghttp://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpghttp://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpg

ATRAIN
12-04-2007, 02:05 PM
And I'm still waiting on the Suns to blame Robert Horry.

LOL

ATRAIN
12-04-2007, 02:07 PM
this one is better than ESPN.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marty_burns/12/03/power.rankings/index.html

Yes we know power rankings mean nothing but I like to think what the "experts" think. If you dont like to discuss power rankings why even come into this thread that SAYS WEEK FIVE POWER RANKINGS???

Extra Stout
12-04-2007, 02:41 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marty_burns/12/03/power.rankings/index.html

Yes we know power rankings mean nothing but I like to think what the "experts" think. If you dont like to discuss power rankings why even come into this thread that SAYS WEEK FIVE POWER RANKINGS???
I like to share my accumulated years of wisdom regardless the uselessness of caring about power rankings. You should be thanking me.

703 Spurz
12-04-2007, 03:42 PM

Boston #1 and SA #2 sounds about right to me. Phoenix would then follow with Orlando behind them.

703 Spurz
12-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Damn, for once could the Suns fan try not to be the center of attention.

And to think, they haven't even been relevant in the NBA in a long time.

The nerrrrrrrrrrve :lol

Kriz-Maxima
12-04-2007, 05:07 PM
http://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpghttp://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpghttp://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpghttp://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpghttp://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpg

Ohhh, shiny!

sprrs
12-04-2007, 06:41 PM
A) The fact that ESPN, a well-reputed authority of reporting in the sporting world continues to give credence to this loon is somewhat galling. Besides, it's not just Spurs fans that find these rankings ridiculous.

Do you really enjoy Stein's writing like you say you do?

Darkwaters
12-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Ohhh, shiny!

You should know that first-hand out in Detroit! :toast

You aren't without your share of gold.

PoleSmoking
12-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Can someone explain how the Magic, at 16-4 (and in the East), are ranked higher than the Spurs, at 15-3, or the Suns, at 13-4 --when both the Spurs and Suns have beaten them already? In fact, the Suns already swept the season series from them. I'm talking about the Hollinger rankings, not Stein's.

RonMexico
12-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Now that the Suns aren't #1 in Hollinger's rankings this year, I think they're garbage.

PoleSmoking
12-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Now that the Suns aren't #1 in Hollinger's rankings this year, I think they're garbage.

That makes perfect sense. Who among us can question Hollinger's rankings, Certified genius that he is? If we were all as "smart" as Hollinger, his rankings would make perfect sense.

Cry Havoc
12-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Do you really enjoy Stein's writing like you say you do?

I was being facetious and expounding upon my initial point. What he wrote in the article -is- completely loony. But good effort at reading into what I say.

yourcheatinheart
12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/meeks4president/3910495_m.gif

RonMexico
12-05-2007, 06:24 PM
That makes perfect sense. Who among us can question Hollinger's rankings, Certified genius that he is? If we were all as "smart" as Hollinger, his rankings would make perfect sense.

He's great with numbers, but I think some of his NBA analysis can be way off base.

He actually thought Pau Gasol was a quality player "until this year." Uh, did he ever watch Pau play against good teams and completely suck it up. I remember two years ago v. Spurs, Fratello kept going to Pau at the end of the game and he singlehandedly lost it for them because he tried the same lame move on Duncan everytime and TD destroyed him.