PDA

View Full Version : Rivers, Popovich Named Coaches of the Month

Spurs Brazil
12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/coach_071203.html

Rivers, Popovich Named Coaches of the Month
Posted Dec 3 2007 3:19PM
Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook
NEW YORK, Dec. 3, 2007 – The Boston Celtics’ Doc Rivers and the San Antonio Spurs’ Gregg Popovich today were named the NBA Eastern and Western Conference Coaches of the Month, respectively, for games played in October and November.
Rivers guided the Celtics to a 13-2 (.867) record last month, including eight straight wins to open the season. Boston outscored opponents by a 13.7 ppg margin while holding teams to a .410 field goal percentage. The Celtics recorded a perfect 8-0 mark at TD Banknorth Garden, besting the opposition at home by 21.6 points over that stretch. Owners of the NBA’s top record at month’s end, the Celtics enjoyed the franchise’s best November since 1985-86 when Boston opened 13-1.

Popovich led the Spurs to a 14-3 (.824) record in October and November, tying the franchise record for best start after 17 games, last accomplished in 2005-06. San Antonio, which won five straight from Nov. 16 through Nov. 25, was a perfect 9-0 at AT&T Center. The Spurs committed a league-low 12.0 turnovers per game, including setting a franchise record low with three turnovers in a 128-110 win over Orlando on Nov. 21.

Other nominees for the Coach of the Month were Dallas’ Avery Johnson, Detroit’s Flip Saunders, Houston’s Rick Adelman, Orlando’s Stan Van Gundy, Phoenix’s Mike D’Antoni and Utah’s Jerry Sloan.

Dex
12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Right on.

Pop won't care. He may even swear a bit, or find a reason to yell at the players for it.

But I still like to see his brilliance get recognized.

And Rivers probably deserves some credit, too. Everyone knew the firepower the Celtics would have this season, but I don't think people expected them to be clicking on these cylinders.

It's an interesting year for basketball.

Tippecanoe
12-03-2007, 07:05 PM
yeah doc!!! :tu

Obstructed_View
12-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Amazing how good a coach gets when he suddenly has some talent. Even though I don't like a single player for the Celtics, I'm happy for Doc.

bdictjames
12-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Both are winning with defense.

The Truth #6
12-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Coaches look a lot better when they have great players playing great. Even Pop admits that.

Moron Byron Scott all of a sudden was "doing an incredible job", coincidentally when Chris Paul joined the team.

I'm not going to slag Doc because he's an ex-Spur, but I doubt his coaching ability somehow all of a sudden got a lot better.

bdictjames
12-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Coaches look a lot better when they have great players playing great. Even Pop admits that.

Moron Byron Scott all of a sudden was "doing an incredible job", coincidentally when Chris Paul joined the team.

I'm not going to slag Doc because he's an ex-Spur, but I doubt his coaching ability somehow all of a sudden got a lot better.
Wasn't Scott the coach of that Nets team too with Kidd?

ShoogarBear
12-05-2007, 02:31 AM

I'm not going to slag Doc because he's an ex-Spur, but I doubt his coaching ability somehow all of a sudden got a lot better.So how good of a coach would people say Pop was if he never had Duncan?

Axl Van Dam
12-05-2007, 07:50 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/coach_071203.html

Rivers, Popovich Named Coaches of the Month
Posted Dec 3 2007 3:19PM
Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook
NEW YORK, Dec. 3, 2007 – The Boston Celtics’ Doc Rivers and the San Antonio Spurs’ Gregg Popovich today were named the NBA Eastern and Western Conference Coaches of the Month, respectively, for games played in October and November.
Rivers guided the Celtics to a 13-2 (.867) record last month, including eight straight wins to open the season. Boston outscored opponents by a 13.7 ppg margin while holding teams to a .410 field goal percentage. The Celtics recorded a perfect 8-0 mark at TD Banknorth Garden, besting the opposition at home by 21.6 points over that stretch. Owners of the NBA’s top record at month’s end, the Celtics enjoyed the franchise’s best November since 1985-86 when Boston opened 13-1.

Popovich led the Spurs to a 14-3 (.824) record in October and November, tying the franchise record for best start after 17 games, last accomplished in 2005-06. San Antonio, which won five straight from Nov. 16 through Nov. 25, was a perfect 9-0 at AT&T Center. The Spurs committed a league-low 12.0 turnovers per game, including setting a franchise record low with three turnovers in a 128-110 win over Orlando on Nov. 21.

Other nominees for the Coach of the Month were Dallas’ Avery Johnson, Detroit’s Flip Saunders, Houston’s Rick Adelman, Orlando’s Stan Van Gundy, Phoenix’s Mike D’Antoni and Utah’s Jerry Sloan.

:clap :toast Let's give it up for Pop :toast :clap