PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen on fire...

crellis
12-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Caught up in the hype that is the injury to Tim Duncan (and probably rightly so) has been the efforts of Bruce Bowen. This ageless warrior continues to battle the opposing team's best player night in and night out and regularly comes out on top. This was highlighted in the game against Portland on Sunday, completely outplaying Brandon Roy, scoring 10 points while holding him to 4 points on 1-9 shooting; this after shutting him down on opening night where Roy had 7 points on 2-10 shooting. It just goes to show the pride that Bowen has in his role with the Spurs. He quite easily could have thought "I have nothing to prove in this game, i have already schooled this guy", but being a true professional, he bettered his performance. He is a vital cog in our chances to repeat this season, and if he was to rewarded with the defensive player of the year award along the way, then that would be gravy!

Demo Dick Marcinko
12-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Not only that but where the heck did his 12-15 ft shot come from. Not only that but I've seen on more then a few occasions where he's driven to the basket and popped it from there. Looks like he's improving his offensive game. What a consummate professional and warrior. Nothing but utmost respect for him.

Gino20
12-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Caught up in the hype that is the injury to Tim Duncan (and probably rightly so) has been the efforts of Bruce Bowen. This ageless warrior continues to battle the opposing team's best player night in and night out and regularly comes out on top. This was highlighted in the game against Portland on Sunday, completely outplaying Brandon Roy, scoring 10 points while holding him to 4 points on 1-9 shooting; this after shutting him down on opening night where Roy had 7 points on 2-10 shooting. It just goes to show the pride that Bowen has in his role with the Spurs. He quite easily could have thought "I have nothing to prove in this game, i have already schooled this guy", but being a true professional, he bettered his performance. He is a vital cog in our chances to repeat this season, and if he was to rewarded with the defensive player of the year award along the way, then that would be gravy!

Bruce is da man!!!! :clap

boutons_
12-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Bruce has shown several new shots, including finger roll, running jumper, and yes the mid-range jumper. Where was all this stuff 4 years ago? What took him so long?

Think he's working for a contract extension? :)

Barbarian
12-03-2007, 06:56 PM
:jack Bowen thread

Pistons < Spurs
12-03-2007, 07:40 PM
While I won't argue that Bowen may indeed be playing great or try to argue his obvious importance to the success of the Spurs, try to temper the enthusiasm a bit with the knowledge that Roy has been struggling big time as of late. Any quote you read from him these days has him questioning himself. He hasn't had a game where he shot over 28% since Nov. 23rd

Using Roy as an example, may not be the best measuring stick.

And I've been more impressed with Bowens offense as of late.

SpursIndonesia
12-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Is Bowen a good coach material ? I think he is.

crellis
12-03-2007, 11:21 PM
While I won't argue that Bowen may indeed be playing great or try to argue his obvious importance to the success of the Spurs, try to temper the enthusiasm a bit with the knowledge that Roy has been struggling big time as of late. Any quote you read from him these days has him questioning himself. He hasn't had a game where he shot over 28% since Nov. 23rd

Using Roy as an example, may not be the best measuring stick.

And I've been more impressed with Bowens offense as of late.

Are you sure... In Portland's very next game Roy nearly goes for a triple double with 26 points (11-21) and 9 rebounds along with 7 assists.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-03-2007, 11:32 PM
:tu What Bruce does night in and night out wont show up on the stat sheet. And it wont make ESPN's top 10. But what he's been doing this year to the opponents best wings is so under appreciated. I mean its just amazing what he does. Thanks for the thread. :toast

bigfundamental21
Bowen often gets overlooked for his contributions as they are not easily visible on the stat sheet. He puts outstanding effort on the floor every night and is able to guard multiple positions. I just wish more people would recognize his talent and commitment to defense. It's a lost art.

Pistons < Spurs
Are you sure... In Portland's very next game Roy nearly goes for a triple double with 26 points (11-21) and 9 rebounds along with 7 assists.
Which does nothing to change the fact that he was indeed in a funk for the last week and a half.

His previous games he shot 3of12 4of14 4of18 and 6of15.

After the Spurs game, he commented that he'd hit rock bottom. But it wasn't just the Spurs game that made him feel that way.

bigfundamental21
12-03-2007, 11:33 PM
:tu What Bruce does night in and night out wont show up on the stat sheet. And it wont make ESPN's top 10. But what he's been doing this year to the opponents best wings is so under appreciated. I mean its just amazing what he does. Thanks for the thread. :toast
My thoughts exactly Sixth Man!

Snaq O'Meal
12-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Bowen often gets overlooked for his contributions as they are not easily visible on the stat sheet. He puts outstanding effort on the floor every night and is able to guard multiple positions. I just wish more people would recognize his talent and commitment to defense. It's a lost art.
Actually, you can see Bowen's contribution on the stat sheet. Just not on the Spurs stat sheet, but what's missing from the other team's stat sheet.

In the case of Brendan Roy, Bruce nearly erased him from the game.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Actually, you can see Bowen's contribution on the stat sheet. Just not on the Spurs stat sheet, but what's missing from the other team's stat sheet.

In the case of Brendan Roy, Bruce nearly erased him from the game.
:lol Well there you go. That's one way to attribute Bowen's defensive presence.

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2007, 01:16 AM
bruce bowen reminds me of the dude at the end of the 300 movie, comes back with an army...

mystargtr34
12-04-2007, 02:26 AM
Bruce is awesome

urunobili
12-04-2007, 08:28 AM
we should send Bowen against Harris for next game.. what do y'all think?

ArgSpursFan.
12-04-2007, 08:53 AM
we should send Bowen against Harris for next game.. what do y'all think?

TP should stick on Harris and shut his ass up.
If TP can manage to play D as He did with Deron Williams in the playoffs we'll be just fine.
Bruce should be on J.Howard or Terry and TP on Harris.

urunobili
12-04-2007, 09:01 AM
TP should stick on Harris and shut his ass up.
If TP can manage to play D as He did with Deron Williams in the playoffs we'll be just fine.
Bruce should be on J.Howard or Terry and TP on Harris.
you sound like you have a problem with Parker. I think it's time for Harris to get Bowened. The least thing that we need is that kid going off against us all the time... Tony will have time to get better to face him... just not now... :blah

ArgSpursFan.
12-04-2007, 09:04 AM
you sound like you have a problem with Parker. I think it's time for Harris to get Bowened. The least thing that we need is that kid going off against us all the time... Tony will have time to get better to face him... just not now... :blah
I don't have a problem with Parker at all.I believe that He can guard Harris,but you don't believe so.

If you put Bowen on Harris,them You'll have a missmatch coze TP will have to guard eather J.Howard or J. Terry.

ArgSpursFan.
12-04-2007, 09:08 AM
I say:
TP on Harris
Bowen on Terry or Stack
Manu on J.Howard
Oberto on Diop
Them as usuall the problem will be to guard Dirk.
Bonner sucks on D. So Elson might have his chance to get some mins vs Dallas.

SAGambler
12-04-2007, 09:47 AM
I say:
TP on Harris
Bowen on Terry or Stack
Manu on J.Howard
Oberto on Diop
Them as usuall the problem will be to guard Dirk.
Bonner sucks on D. So Elson might have his chance to get some mins vs Dallas.

I'm not sure that putting Cisco on Dirk would be a bad thing. I think he has enough foot speed to give the german some problems. I also like letting Tony have Harris and put "I own you" Bruce on Howard and try to shut him down.

ArgSpursFan.
12-04-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure that putting Cisco on Dirk would be a bad thing. I think he has enough foot speed to give the german some problems. I also like letting Tony have Harris and put "I own you" Bruce on Howard and try to shut him down.

I agree 100%
But I would put Bowen on eather Howard or terry whoever is on Fire.Them manu on the other one.