PDA

View Full Version : what's the reason why you like spurs?

288pipi
12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
at first,i love spurs because there is teamwork in the spurs,after2003's champation ,timmy.manu and bowen make me liking spurs very much!

can you tell the reason??

Shaolin-Style
12-04-2007, 09:12 AM
I grew up not really paying much attention to the nba outside of the nba jam games, then went to a game with a few friends who had a spare ticket and despite the loss I enjoyed it and starting watching more spurs games, became a fan at the right time too since that was back in 99. Why I continue to like them is that despite the success they've had they've not evolved into egomaniacs and remain humble and hardworking, which is what makes me proud to be a fan.

SpurForLife
12-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Commitment to excellence. There is teamwork, sportsmanship, and accountability that exists within the franchise. It seems like season after season they are a fine tuned machine and they know what parts to add to make that machine keep running smoothly. That's what I love about this franchise.

SAGambler
12-04-2007, 09:50 AM
And because, despite all the pissing and moaning about the FO that goes on all during off season, they still always manage to put a team on the floor that has a great chance to win the Finals every year.

urunobili
12-04-2007, 09:51 AM
David Robinson

duncan228
12-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Tim Duncan.

He represents everything that's gold about this team.

Dennis Rodman
12-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Dennis Rodman made me a sick Spur fan!

I still remember this team, ... with AJ, Vinny del Negro, Sean E., Rodman and D-Rob.

xapatan2
12-04-2007, 10:40 AM
1992-1993, first Nba games on a "public" TV in France, David Robinson, the spurs..., the draft of Tim Duncan, and "cerise sur le gateau", my dreams were fullfilled after the draft of Manu et Tony...

The Spurs, what else ?

wildbill2u
12-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Good question. I had always been a Celtics fan simply because they were so good and I had no 'home town allegiance'. Then the Spurs came to town in the 70s and I had to make a choice between my first NBA love and the new guys in my home town.

I got season tickets and when Gervin came in and started lighting it up, I became a rabid fan. The team has continued to grow with championships and a championship character that's even more impressive.

Now, here is the final question. If the Spurs ever move, where will my heart lie. I now live in Houston, but I think I will always be a Spurs fan. Not just because of my long history with the team, but because they have that something extra--the character of a champion that l want to be associated with.

JP le Requin
12-04-2007, 10:55 AM
because david robinson, in 1993...no jordan in the leagues, i didnt saw the dream team (only one game with my grandfather...he zapped it!!)
there was oneal the new BIG star, barkley, kem etc....but me...i saw David robinson and said WOUAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA what a player!! then i am always a spurs fan and i made my first trip there last june for the nba finals game 2!!! and i will come back next week!!!!!!!!!!!

MONTENEGRINO
12-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Tim Duncan.

Since Wake Forest days...

clambake
12-04-2007, 11:02 AM
international players on the roster.

sa_butta
12-04-2007, 11:03 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80940&highlight=chopper

polandprzem
12-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Well, they were winning so here I am. Once they will start losing I will change the ream.
I realy think changing it now to Boston

Budkin
12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
I started watching them because of D Rob but I just love the way they play, the pure teamwork and the defense first attitude. As many people have said, they play the "right way." Plus, nobody on the team is an arrogant prick like Jason Terry, my new most hated player in the NBA.

MR.Iceland
12-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Teamwork, they play the game the right way.

MagnusKrauss
12-04-2007, 12:31 PM
I wasn't much of a basketball fan back then. I was more into playing volleyball (still am, though I don't play anymore due to work). My father was the one who kept pushing me to become a fan. Of course we watched the Bulls (no choice there), but he forced me to watch the '96 AS Weekend. Brent Barry was the first player I liked, Fin, not so much (i didn't know his story). My father said to me "See that guy? He's the youngest son of a one of the most talented NBA Players. He'll be a great player". And he was amazed at what Brent did back then.

Then he became a Spurs fan in 1998 (mainly because of Timmy). He wasn't that loyal, as he liked the '04 Pistons as well, but that was mainly because he hated the Kobe Lakers. He would always tell me that even if your team is made up of allstars (the Lakers) doesn't mean you'll win a championship. Teamwork will always win over star power.

By 2003 I became a Spurs fan mainly because of Timmy, partly because of Manu. by 04 i got more incentive as Brent joined the team. that's it. and it took me 4 years to find this site. (I'm not much of an avid internet user) that's my story.

Mainly he was a fan of good basketball. Good basketball = Spurs. He also liked Manu and the Argentinian Team for trashing the US team in the Olympics. :D And also he was a fan of Carlos Arroyo. :D

beirmeistr
12-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan.

bdictjames
12-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Tim Duncan.

Slomo
12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Eva Longoria

George Gervin's Afro
12-04-2007, 01:15 PM
i was born and raised in san antonio. kind of had no choice..

ata
12-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Eva Longoria
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Joe Schmoogins
12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
David Robinson

Me too... I grew up in North Dakota. When you are from North Dakota there is no home team to cheer for by default. Most people are Twins and Vikings fans. However this was before the birth of the Timberwolves. Lucky for me, David was the man and I became a huge fan of him, which soon translated into a huge Spurs fan. If it wasn't for him I would have probably become a timberwolves fan. Oh the horror!

dbreiden83080
12-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I love the TEAM as a whole NOW but at first it was TIM DUNCAN for me. He quickly became my favorite player after he was drafted.

ancestron
12-04-2007, 02:25 PM
I've just always liked the way the Spurs play the game. They play it the right way and egos don't mean anything. Pop's military background really translates really well to his coaching style, and players either play the right way or they're history.
I've also liked the fact that their is almost none of the hip-hop/tattoo/headband BS.
I've never much liked the showboat, egotistical junk that has been associated with the NBA for so long, but I have always liked basketball. David Robinson got me into the Spurs by not only being a great player, but also showing that not everyone in the NBA looks/acts like a thug. I know there are many other players like that, but there was something special about the way #50 played the game, and represented the franchise. The tone he set is still around today.

Cry Havoc
12-04-2007, 02:29 PM

midgetonadonkey
12-04-2007, 02:30 PM
They were the closest team to where I grew up.

SenorSpur
12-04-2007, 02:40 PM
For me it was very easy. Growing up in S.A. in the early 70's, there were NO professional sports teams around. The pro sports team of choice was the Cowboys. That is until 1973, when the Spurs came from Dallas as the old Chaparrals. Been a fan since day one. Been on board ever since.

Over the course of time there've been a lot of ups and downs - sort of like a marriage.

The innocent times, were the early days. No one knew what to expect or even whether the franchise would last. The tickets were cheap, the games were fun to watch, and the fans were wildly raucous. There wasn't even a hint of the corporate headaches (salary cap, player apathy, etc) that we see today.

For me, the darkest times were during those post-Gervin, pre-Drob era durig the mid-80's. Unstable ownership, inept team management, selfish on-court play. A revolving door of players, coaches and even ownership turmoil led to fan apathy and disinterest. Like a lot of us, the franchise instability, coupled with losing, caused me to become very disinterested.

Then suddenly in 1987, along comes the NBA draft lottery and the Spurs won the grand prize - one David Robinson. His coming signaled provided renewed excitement and hope for the city and its fans. His coming literally saved the franchise from relocation.

Those were good times. However make no mistake, these are absolutlely the best of times. Riight here - right now. I never thought I would live long enough to see even one championship - and we have four.

We have truly been blessed to have had two consecutive HOF-type, franchise icon-level, players in D-Rob and Duncan. And they came within 10 years of each other! Think about it! That never happens - not to any franchise. Enjoy these dynasty years thoroughly because they cannot and will not last forever. History shows us the downward spiral of mediocrity is coming at some point.

duncanchick21
12-04-2007, 02:48 PM
:clap :downspin: :flag: :flag: I like the spurs because of their great teamwork!!! and of course because of Timmy, Manu, and Parker!!!

howbouthemspurs
12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
The spurs have always been the most charsmatic and professional team in sports. Ever since they came to San Antonio they've established themselves as a huge artery to the city and they have given us a pride like no other.

mookie2001
12-04-2007, 02:53 PM
not many argentina fans have posted in this thread

I guess their story is too long and personal

Hemotivo
12-04-2007, 03:18 PM
scola!

FromWayDowntown
12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
1. Low ratings
2. Boring style
3. Cheap shots
4. Dirty play
5. Flopping

Joe Schmoogins
12-04-2007, 04:27 PM
For me it was very easy. Growing up in S.A. in the early 70's, there were NO professional sports teams around. The pro sports team of choice was the Cowboys. That is until 1973, when the Spurs came from Dallas as the old Chaparrals. Been a fan since day one. Been on board ever since.

Of the course of time there've been a lot of ups and downs -sort of like a marriage.

The innocent times, were the early days. No one knew what to expect or even whether the franchise would last. The tickets were cheap, the games were fun to watch, and the fans were wildly raucous. There wasn't even a hint of the corporate headaches (salary cap, player apathy, etc) that we see today.

For me, the darkest times were during those post-Gervin, pre-Drob era durig the mid-80's. Unstable ownership, inept team management, selfish on-court play. A revolving door of players, coaches and even ownership turmoil led to fan apathy and disinterest. Like a lot of us, the franchise instability, coupled with losing, caused me to become very disinterested.

Then suddenly, along comes the David Robinson draft. His coming signaled provided renewed excitement and hope for the city and its fans.

Make no mistake, these are absolutlely the best of times, right here - right now. I never thought I would live long enough to see even one championship - and we have four.

We have truly been blessed to have had two consecutive HOF-type, franchise players in D-Rob and Duncan. And they came within 10 years of each other! That never happens. Enjoy these dynasty years thoroughly because they cannot and will not last forever. History shows us that mediocrity is coming at some point.

Very cool and very interesting. I enjoy hearing insight from people who have been there from the beginning.

12-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Have the best record in the nba.

duncan228
12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Have the best record in the nba.

So if they don't have the best record do you not like them anymore?

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-04-2007, 04:44 PM
They're so darn cute.

Demo Dick Marcinko
12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
1. Low ratings
2. Boring style
3. Cheap shots
4. Dirty play
5. Flopping

6. Asterisks ****
7. Overweight population in San Antonio
8. Spurms/Sterns
9. Conspiracy Theory
10.Dirty River Parade

SpurForLife
12-04-2007, 05:12 PM
6. Asterisks ****
7. Overweight population in San Antonio
8. Spurms/Sterns
9. Conspiracy Theory
10.Dirty River Parade

11. Obsession
12. Jealousy

12-04-2007, 05:20 PM
So if they don't have the best record do you not like them anymore?
I like the spurs.Look at the standing.How did the spurs get so good that fast one minute they were behind new orleans now they are in first place? :clap

TampaDude
12-04-2007, 05:25 PM
David Robinson

+1

My wife went to OP with David Robinson and her cousin graduated from the Naval Academy in 1987 with DRob. We've been Spurs fans since back in the day. They are by far the best TEAM in the NBA. When they are firing on all cylinders, they are pretty much unstoppable. They are anything but boring...such a treat to watch! :toast

birdy219
12-04-2007, 06:33 PM
The Iceman introduced me to the Spurs on our first date and I was infatuated. :eyebrows

I realized that I liked them a lot with David Robinson and we started going together. :makeout

I fell in love and got married to them with Tim Duncan. :married:

Now, I'm hopelessly obsessed, entangled, possessed, and an out of control fanatic about my Spurs. :dizzy :worthy: :cheer :nerd :flag: :downspin:

Sp Ginobili 20
12-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Manu Ginobili.

He's the main reason why I started liking the Spurs. When I first saw his style of play, I couldn't stop watching. As I continued to watch other Spurs games, I realized that this was a team, and not a one man show.

nfg3
12-04-2007, 06:58 PM
I was here when they came from Dallas and have followed them ever since. I've lived through all of it - ABA to NBA to the down years leading up to DRob to the 90's when we couldn't get past either Houston or Utah to the championship years. It's had its ups and downs but all in all its been a pretty good ride, especially since Timmy has come on board.

For those of you who haven't experienced continually down/disappointing years be thankful for what you have now. Appreciate it and savor the moments. This kind of run doesn't happen very often!

nfg3
12-04-2007, 07:01 PM
1. Low ratings
2. Boring style
3. Cheap shots
4. Dirty play
5. Flopping

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Newton
12-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Being in a study group in a psychology class with Tim Duncan. Realizing that he was not only witty, dryly-funny, and entertaining, but that he was not a "student athlete". He was a real student, brilliant in every way.

I grew up in the Philly area, a big fan of the Doctor, Mo Cheeks, Moses, early Barkley, etc.

SA was my Western Conference team because I loved The Iceman.

But when Timmy was drafted, that was that. If this makes me a bandwagoner, well, fuck it.

The Truth #6
12-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Spurs could start the 5 biggest thugs in the league and I'd still support them. I grew up here. I can't imagine being loyal to a team outside my hometown.

SenorSpur
12-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Being in a study group in a psychology class with Tim Duncan. Realizing that he was not only witty, dryly-funny, and entertaining, but that he was not a "student athlete". He was a real student, brilliant in every way.

I grew up in the Philly area, a big fan of the Doctor, Mo Cheeks, Moses, early Barkley, etc.

But when Timmy was drafted, that was that. If this makes me a bandwagoner, well, fuck it.

Go 'head. With yo' bad self! :toast

Welcome aboard! Bandwagon or not. There's plenty of room.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-04-2007, 10:47 PM

:toast To me a bandwagon fan is a person who cheers for the "it" team at the moment. With no real allegiance to said team. You're just stating the day you became a fan. Props.

sa_kid20
12-04-2007, 10:58 PM
I wasn't born until 1988 so i haven't been around to experience the entire ride but my dad has since day 1 so i guess you could say i was born into it and thats just fine with me!

debo
12-04-2007, 11:23 PM
fundamentals, smart shots, the big men, and MANU

byrontx
12-04-2007, 11:58 PM
The Spurs have David Robinson's DNA. Converted me from a Rockets fan (grew up in Houston).

bigfish22
12-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Navy Pride, see sig

makedamnsure
12-05-2007, 12:33 AM
It's my only real hometown team. I can't help BUT cheer for them.

dav4463
12-05-2007, 02:05 AM
It's like being a part of a large family when you are a Spurs fan. Spurs fans can meet anywhere in the world. If one has a Spurs shirt or hat and another person mentions that they are a Spurs fan....instant friendship! No matter your background, income, education, ethnicity, whatever....you are Spurs fans!!! It's been that way as long as I can remember all the way back to the days of Gervin, Gale, Kenon, Paultz, and Silas. I guess I first became a fan as a kid when I picked up games on WOAI radio while living in the desert of West Texas! I started following the team and then started making a few trips to Hemisfair Arena to see my heroes! Then I was hooked forever!

Capt Bringdown
12-05-2007, 02:18 AM
Because they're my hometown team and I grew up watching them go thru misery and triumph! The Spurs are pure San Antonio, what other reason does a body need? :)

ShoogarBear
12-05-2007, 03:21 AM
Tom Nissalke.

spursjustice
12-05-2007, 03:25 AM
Because everyone else loved the Bulls, then the Lakers and now the Celtics...

Spurs for life!!!

ATX Spur
12-05-2007, 03:28 AM
Those old Spurs "player cards" that you got from Church's and had those giant perforations and pictures of the likes of Paul Pressey.

SpursIndonesia
12-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Five Oh. :smokin

Duncan & co + championship while being a good natured, milk & cookie gang certainly help too. :D

Avitus1
12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I remember watching Spur games with my mother as a kid and ever since then I've been watching them. I grew up watching the NBA and mostly the Spurs. Since childhood I've been an avid Spurs fan. From Robinson to Duncan I've followed the Spurs religiously even when we lived overseas.