PDA

View Full Version : Official Aikman/Buck for MNF. Korn and crew have got to go.

BacktoBasics
12-04-2007, 09:40 AM
I got to catch Aikman/Buck on Sunday and then of course watched the game last night. I finally figured out what it is about the A/B combo that works. They do their homework, they actually take their job seriously. Where as Tony Korn and his crew simply show up and expect their personalities to sell the show.

Time and time again Troy would reference key points and plays from each teams previous games. Not just the highlights either you could tell he did his due diligence and watched all the previous games of whatever teams he and Buck would have for the week. He delivers his opinion and assessment with confidence and it gives the viewer a real feeling that the guys in the booth know more than we do. Instead of stating the obvious they actually use the telestrator to point out some things the average fan may not completely understand or pick up on. I've never seen that with the current MNF or SNF crew.

I wouldn't be shocked to find out if Troy breaks down game footage just like he did to prepare for games when he was playing. You can tell he gives a shit about what he's talking about. Thats completely missing from Korn and Jaws commentary. As a matter of fact all that Jaws is good for is "when I played" or "back when I was a player" or "hey did I mention I played pro football". It doesn't bring a whole lot and its certainly not insightful nor compelling.

I also like how Troy and Buck both hit the field before the games and talk to the players, not because they are in awe but because it gives them a chance to gain some inside information on the days game. Troy also referenced more than a few times some interesting conversations he's had in the locker room with some of the players. The guy puts himself in the middle of the action and pays attention. We are over the need for characters and we want real football knowledge and we want guys who know their shit and take their craft seriously. A radio personality isn't enough.

Proof positive for me came at the end of last nights game. The timeout that was called from the Ravens sideline. Yes we know the players were going apeshit and yes we all know the game could have been over at that point but to tell a national audience that it was a terrible timeout and it shouldn't have been called heads should roll blah blah blah is fucking stupid and ignorant. Its unfortunate that it was called but in a situation like that facing a game ending 4th down the smart thing to do is call a timeout and get the right package of players in the game that gives you the best chance at getting the stop. It also slows down Tom Brady's timing and momentum. Those guys can't seem to understand that you have to take your job seriously, they aren't in the booth as overgrown pompous fans, they're there to bring intellect to a wider audience. I expect better.

Right now having listened to Aikman/Buck regularly I don't see that there is any better booth out there.

Extra Stout
12-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Jaworski does his homework, but you're right on that ESPN's philosophy is for personalities to sell the game, rather than prepared and knowledgeable sports journalists.

I really think you've hit on why their telecasts so often are inferior to NBC, CBS, and FOX, and I also think it explains why their MLB telecasts are so good --> they have a bunch of guys who are obsessed with baseball doing their shows.

BeerIsGood!
12-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Jaworski does his homework, but you're right on that ESPN's philosophy is for personalities to sell the game, rather than prepared and knowledgeable sports journalists.

I really think you've hit on why their telecasts so often are inferior to NBC, CBS, and FOX, and I also think it explains why their MLB telecasts are so good --> they have a bunch of guys who are obsessed with baseball doing their shows.

At least they're better than NFL Network!! :lol

leemajors
12-04-2007, 10:26 AM
i hate joe buck.

SpursFanFirst
12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
9 times out of 10, I don't even hear the announcers in any sports. And this season, the MNF games have been so awful, I haven't watched. With that said, I did watch last night's game, and those guys were so bad, it kept grabbing my attention. I agree with the OP. Hopefully ESPN will reassess the announcing crew next year.

BacktoBasics
12-04-2007, 10:39 AM
i hate joe buck.Funny thing is that I didn't care for this guy as well but he and Aikman have solid chemistry and Buck is far more professional than anyone in either SNF or MNF's booths.

samikeyp
12-04-2007, 10:39 AM

God, yes!

Gumbel and Collinsworth are horrible!

Extra Stout
12-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Gumbel appears to have Alzheimer's or something.

maxpower
12-04-2007, 01:19 PM
MNF is one step above Thursday night football....barely.

CubanMustGo
12-04-2007, 01:31 PM
God, yes!

Gumbel and Collinsworth are horrible!

Collinsworth is OK. Being stuck with someone as awful as Gumby would make anyone sound bad.

703 Spurz
12-04-2007, 03:36 PM
There's only one man that can save Monday Night Football.

<------------------

I'd rather hear two beetles have oral then to see Woody Paige do an NFL game

TheSanityAnnex
12-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Randy Cross and Dick Enberg are just as bad as the MNF crew, possibly worse.

DallasFan
12-09-2007, 01:29 AM

Amen on that!

Bryant Gumbel: "In today's matchup, Rick Romo and the Packers will be taking on Brad Favre and the Cowboys".

ClingingMars
12-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Gumbel makes me sleepy.

-Mars

exstatic
12-09-2007, 03:04 PM
FOX would never let Buck and Aikman go, so unless they get the next MNF contract, you'll never see it.

I agree that MNF team needs to be scrapped though. They could hire three homeless off the street and improve their product.