PDA

View Full Version : Who should guard Harris next game Parker or Bowen?

urunobili
12-04-2007, 02:05 PM
After trying to debate about the issue i think it's time to know the majority's opinion about the topic.. i think it's proven already that Parker can't guard Harris... time to get Bowened. Assign Parker to Terry when on the floor and Howard at the beginning of the game... thoughts??? :hungry:

Findog
12-04-2007, 02:06 PM
So Bowen won't be guarding Howard or Dirk? Fine by me.

urunobili
12-04-2007, 02:08 PM
TP can guard Howard even with size difference he won;t post him up... for Dirk... choose your poison and let him try to beat us himself with jumpers...

MoSpur
12-04-2007, 02:08 PM
How about Ime?

spursfan09
12-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Bowen is for the better players on the Mavs. Not Harris. Besides last game Harris totally outplayed Parker. Parker's home now and should pay him back for the last time.

urunobili
How about Ime?
i would think that should be a surprising move on the starting lineup by Pop that i'd welcome... Ime could just focus on Harris, we go small... but i dunno if having two designated defenders only on the floor makes sense.... :king

thispego
oh my god. Parker is MORE than capable of defending Harris. what the fuck is this world coming to? urunobili, you're quickly losing credibility.

urunobili
12-04-2007, 02:15 PM
oh my god. Parker is MORE than capable of defending Harris. what the fuck is this world coming to? urunobili, you're quickly losing credibility.
you know what.. i wish you're right... if he leaves the AT&T center with the same scoreboard Tony had against him i'm cool with that... but my credibility will ONLY be questioned after the game's boxscore not b4.. sorry...

Bruno
12-04-2007, 02:17 PM
i think it's proven already that Parker can't guard Harris...

You think wrong.

mavsfan1000
12-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Not too smart. Bowen is not quick enough to stay in front of Harris and Howard will shoot over Parker all day. Bowen on Dirk makes the most sense with Ginobili on Howard.

Bruno
12-04-2007, 02:19 PM
urunobili, you're quickly losing credibility.

He lost all his credibility in this post :
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2102261&postcount=12

urunobili
12-04-2007, 02:19 PM
sorry if sound not smart or whatever.. i am just getting tired of watching this kid with this attitude against us... that's why i am desiring him to get Bowened... :depressed

urunobili
12-04-2007, 02:21 PM
have we played Boston so far? i am just trying to be creative not trying to demostrate how much of a great coach i could be... for this and the other one... after we watch the game's boxscores we could talk about my credibility do not humiliate me b4 plz...

Bruno
12-04-2007, 02:24 PM
have we played Boston so far? i am just trying to be creative not trying to demostrate how much of a great coach i could be... for this and the other one... after we watch the game's boxscores we could talk about my credibility do not humiliate me b4 plz...

Sorry but you can't be credible when you say that Spurs should put Oberto on Paul Pierce and Finley on Perkins.

vanvannen
12-04-2007, 02:25 PM
I see what Urunobili is saying. I wish the Spurs used Bowen on someone else than Dirk to give him the Amare treatment.
We should put Oberto on Dirk and make him beat us with outside jumpshots. He is not Chip Engelland for christ's sake, we should be able to contain all the other scorers and let Dirk do his thing in the perimeter. He is not going to score 100pts.

Findog
12-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Harris might not even play.

Bruno
12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
People could judge by themselves that Parker can't guard Harris : :)
http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h.cgi?req=1&playoffs=E&p1=harride01&p2=parketo01

ancestron
12-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Bowen should show Harris some of that foot defense. Get in his head so he gets fouled out on six straight charges.

mavsfan1000
12-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Harris might not even play.
Yeah that's right. He hurt his neck the last game. :pctoss

AFBlue
12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Parker should start out on the starting PG (Harris or Terry).

The real issue is going to be the help defense in the paint. Without TD bringing his shot-blocking presence, I think the Dallas guards will smell blood in the water.

urunobili
12-04-2007, 02:46 PM
People could judge by themselves that Parker can't guard Harris : :)
http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h.cgi?req=1&playoffs=E&p1=harride01&p2=parketo01
it seems i am not alone in the belief that Bowen can guard Harris.. all what we want is get on his head and him to get to experience the Bowen phenomenon...

Bruno
12-04-2007, 03:05 PM
it seems i am not alone in the belief that Bowen can guard Harris.. all what we want is get on his head and him to get to experience the Bowen phenomenon...

Bowen can guard Harris but it's not the question.
Bowen can guard tons of players from Iverson to Zach Randolph.

Now, look at the whole picture :
Spurs have a player (Parker) who can do a decent/good job against Harris.
Bowen will be more useful guarding Howard and Dirk because they are better scorers and Spurs have less solution against them than against Harris.

I just don't see the interest to put Bowen on Harris.

Hemotivo
12-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Tony needs to be fresh on of.
not in d

bowen on harris

41times
12-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Bowen is too slow to gaurd a full strength Harris. For that matter so is Parker. But Parker has a better chance. Besides don't you guys want Bowen trying to gaurd Jho or Dirk?

Parker might have a better game this time around against Harris than his last because Harris got his neck injured last night and had to leave the game and did not return.

If Harris is out that equalilzes the game a little tomorrow night.

timvp
12-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Harris might literally be the last Mav I'd put Bowen on. I don't understand where this rumor started that Harris is a problem for Parker. While it's true Harris is a good defensive guard and is an improving offensive player, he hasn't given Parker nearly as much trouble as people have talked about recently. Sure he had a good regular season game against Parker but historically Parker has owned Harris.

And really, when Parker hasn't had good games against the Mavs, it has been more due to Dallas' interior defense. Last game, Parker was getting his shot blocked in the lane, which doesn't have much to do with Harris. As for Harris, he becomes dangerous when the Spurs go to small ball and it turns into a layup drill. When the Spurs play a regular lineup, Harris isn't especially dangerous.

timvp
12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Bowen is too slow to gaurd a full strength Harris. For that matter so is Parker.Parker too slow? :lmao

If Harris is out that equalilzes the game a little tomorrow night.:rollin

You can tell it's still Cowboy season . . .

Findog
12-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Honestly, this is a trap game for Dallas. Pretty much every game right now is a trap game for the Mavs. They'll probably take a Duncan-less Spurs team lightly. This is a real winnable game for you guys.

Barbarian
12-04-2007, 03:54 PM
If Harris is out that equalilzes the game a little tomorrow night.

:drunk :dizzy
What are you on bro?

ArgSpursFan.
12-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Bowen can guard anybody in the perimeter,I mean anybody even Harris,but we can't waste our best defender on Harris,We need Bruce guarding eather Howard or Terry if He's on fire.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Tony can definitely guard Harris. We know Harris is really quick but somehow people are making a big deal about this. Spurs main problem with Dallas has been stupid turnovers which allow them to score fastbreak style and a little bit of losing control of the situation. Terry also seems to get really lucky and hits pretty much everything. Bowen should do his thing, I don't believe he should be on Parker because Parker can't guard Harris (this isn't true). I don't think we need to do that at all.

This game will be different as Duncan won't play. It will be interesting. We need to shut down 3pts from Terry especially and make Dirk shoot jumpshots all night long. I'm not a coach or an expert or anything but I'd like to see Dallas being blown out of the court in this game.

ArgSpursFan.
12-04-2007, 04:33 PM
This game will be different as Duncan won't play. It will be interesting. We need to shut down 3pts from Terry especially and make Dirk shoot jumpshots all night long. .

I think that's the key actually.AJ has been studing the Spurs system and knows most of the plays Pop runs in the offense,so now it's time for Pop to surprise him and use a diferent game plan without Duncan.
Like SpurOutofTown said,if we can focus on not turning the ball over,and moving the ball quiker tham usual vs the Mavs, we can actually beat them up.
Rebounding without Timmy is actually what scare me the most though.

gurismo
12-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Howard is a loose cannon. plus Bowen's already in his head. just have TP go under the screen. if Harris can put up 20 on 17 ft jumpers then the mavs deserve to win.

41times
12-04-2007, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=gurismo]Howard is a loose cannon. plus Bowen's already in his head. QUOTE]

maybe i missed that last game when Jho went for 23 pts and 6 boards and 3 steals?

But i do agree that Bowen should gaurd Jho and Parker should stick with Harris.

The question is if that happens how many points will Dirk score?

Budkin
12-04-2007, 05:19 PM
TP can totally guard Harris as long as he puts in the effort. For some reason though Tony has the tendency to just let him drive by at will and then looks like a sad little boy when Harris scores on the layup. Time to step it up Tony!

ArgSpursFan.
12-04-2007, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=gurismo].

The question is if that happens how many points will Dirk score?

Actually the big question is:if it is a close game in the 4rd quarter,will Dirk choke again?
If He doesn't the Mavs have an edge over the Spurs,If he does ,the spurs will win it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-04-2007, 06:08 PM
:lmao
My Lord that's horrible.

urunobili
12-04-2007, 06:12 PM
:lmao
My Lord that's horrible.
yeah i know... oh well... we'll c how many points will Harris score and who guarded him... that would talk more about my credibility...

urunobili
12-04-2007, 06:36 PM
You think wrong.
for y'all haters... NBATV international is broadcasting now the Spurs vs. the Mavs game 3 WCSF 06... and Tony was guarding DIRK ALL 4th quarter... the matchup's i was citing all of a sudden does not sound that crazy... give me a break plz :madrun and BTW... we GOT ROBBED WITH THE REFS BADLY ON THAT 4TH QUARTER they made sure we lost that game :pctoss

diego
12-04-2007, 06:37 PM
screw harris, dont let terry take open 3's and limit their fast break points, those are the defensive keys to the game... that and rebounding

ArgSpursFan.
12-04-2007, 06:52 PM
rebounding,transition D and TOs will be the keys to beat the Mavs.

bdictjames
12-04-2007, 06:54 PM
I'd prefer Bowen

But Josh Howard would kill us.

So its a matter of choosing between who would you prefer to score on us, Harris or Howard.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Rebounding without Timmy is actually what scare me the most though.

I feel your pain there.

PS. they need to get blown out of our court so doubt gets imprinted in their minds. Mavs look more and more like a train to nowhere each the day.

exstatic
12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Tony's best "Defense" on Harris is to NOT hand him the ball on TOs 6 or 8 times in the first half.

clambake
12-04-2007, 07:58 PM
just get horry to KO him.

ludda
12-04-2007, 08:23 PM
I actually think the key is to limit Dirk to being pass-first, which he has been doing a lot this season, and let the rest of the mavs beat us. Terry is streaky and he hasn't been hot lately. Howard also is streaky. Harris' jumper is nothing to worry about. If we take Dirk out of the game, I doubt his teammates will take the game.

DubMcDub
12-04-2007, 08:26 PM
I actually the key is to limit Dirk to being pass-first, which he has been doing a lot this season, and let the rest of the mavs beat us. Terry is streaky and he hasn't been hot lately. Howard also is streaky. Harris' jumper is nothing to worry about. If we take Dirk out of the game, I doubt his teammates will take the game.

Really?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2007111506

A mere 17 points from Dirk and the Mavs win by 13. Sorry Spurs fans, but the facts (e.g. every single recent Mavs/Spurs matchup) lend essentially zero credibility to most of the opinions in this thread.

If you put Bowen on Harris, the Mavs will win by 25 points.

td4mvp21
12-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Bowen cannot keep up with Harris, so that's out the door. We need to clog the fucking paint against the Mavericks, make them a jump shooting team. We let them get to the rim so fucking much it's not even funny.

Thompson
12-04-2007, 08:59 PM
I've noticed Udoka can be pretty fast. I don't know if he can keep up with Harris, but I hope they at least try it out.

Dirk - Elson
Harris - Udoka, Parker
Howard - Bowen
Diop - Horry, Bonner
Hassel - Ginobili

I'm curious to see how we could do with Udoka, Bowen, Horry shooting 3's, Elson inside and Ginobili driving or shooting 3's.

Defensively, if Udoka could keep up with Harris, the Mavs would have difficulty with most of the other matchups, I think. Not sure if Pop will elect to finally give Elson significant time on Dirk before the playoffs, however.

DubMcDub
12-05-2007, 12:06 AM
I've noticed Udoka can be pretty fast. I don't know if he can keep up with Harris, but I hope they at least try it out.

Dirk - Elson
Harris - Udoka, Parker
Howard - Bowen
Diop - Horry, Bonner
Hassel - Ginobili

I'm curious to see how we could do with Udoka, Bowen, Horry shooting 3's, Elson inside and Ginobili driving or shooting 3's.

Defensively, if Udoka could keep up with Harris, the Mavs would have difficulty with most of the other matchups, I think. Not sure if Pop will elect to finally give Elson significant time on Dirk before the playoffs, however.

Elson does nothing on Dirk. He's a scrub. The idea that he had any success guarding Dirk stemmed from the first game of last season when Dirk shot about 40%. But a quick look at the gameflow reveals that Dirk's best shooting that night actually came when Elson was on the court and guarding him.

But I guess the "Elson is the super secret weapon we're gonna unleash to guard Dirk in the playoffs" notion just won't die. Maybe you guys should just re-sign SJax.

TheAuthority
12-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Start the game with this line-up.

C - Oberto
PF - Bowen
SF - Manu
SG - Parker
PG - Vaughn

I'm sure people are going to laugh at Bowen playing power forward #1, but also laugh at Jacque Vaughn in the starting line-up. Well, ordinarily I would too. But the Mavs have a tough time with small line-ups, and Nowitzki has a tough time with Bowen guarding him. Nowitzki has no post game. He is softer than a pillow. Vaughn gets in the starting line-up to guard Harris, because the guy is a good defender, and he's a pest. Harris seems to get flustered when people harass him on D, and Vaughn will certainly do that. Vaughn won't have to score hardly at all, because he'll be out there with the starters. He can just spot up and let Manu or TP create. I don't really think only having 1 big out there will hurt against the Mavs. Bowen and Manu rebound well for their positions. Parker isn't bad either. Without Tim in the line-up, in my opinion, that is the best line-up to throw at them.

edit: Also, one big factor I forgot to mention: Parker seems to get tired having to chase Harris around all game, and it definitely shows in his offense. With Vaughn guarding him, Parker can freelance a bit more on defense, and save much needed energy for offense.

anakha
12-06-2007, 02:12 AM
Bumpage.

Maybe Parker on Dirk isn't such a bad idea... :lol