PDA

View Full Version : Sean Elliott LOLs

Solid D
12-04-2007, 05:11 PM
We have mentioned Sean Elliott's color commentary genius and the "Seanisms" many times before, but Sunday's call of the Blazers v. Spurs game was priceless. Late in the game, Sean held up the January page of the Spurs Calendar and there is Bruce Bowen and familiy.

That had to be one of the more hilarious 60 seconds of commentary I've seen yet from Sean. For those of you who missed it on local TV, it went something like this:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2842/jan08rr0.jpg

Sean holds up the calendar page above and circles Bruce's bare foot with the telestrator.

"You know, this is what is scary to me that Bruce takes his picture without a sock on. We don't want to see that carmel-colored nail there (pointing at big toe). I mean, get a pedicure before you're going to ruin a perfectly good picture.

He's got a beautiful wife, great kids....and then you see that thing there. I mean, paging a doctor...please, can we get a prescription for Lamasil...a little Desinex?"

(PBP man Bill Land cracks up laughing as the game has already started and the screen shows the game while Sean continues on and on)

"He's definitely not gellin'. That foot looks like it...it looks like he's smellin'."

(Jacque Vaughn knocks down a corner jumper)

Bill Land interrupts: "Jacque Vaughn is gellin'! It was the photographer that was the brave one that maybe had to get close to that (Bruce's toe) "

Sean: "...I mean, that's what I'm sayin', and it's JANUARY of all months, no less. You try to get started off on the right FOOT...and you open the poster and you see that thing....I thought the whole purpose (of the calendar) was to try to MAKE money...and sell these things."

(meanwhile the game continues with a long miss by Aldridge and another long miss by Parker).

Bill Land (laughing): "Tell me when you're done and I'll get back to the game."

Sean: "...yeah, I mean January? Please, put him in a month where like... people are going to be out of town. Put him in a month when people aren't going to check their calendar...like July...(Sergio hits a wing jumper for the Blazers)....or June!"

Bill Land (chuckling): "Rodriguez hits the jumper for Portland. During the dissing of Mr. Bowen by Doctor Elliott, we have Robert Horry in the game for the first time this season.

Classic :clap

Hemotivo
12-04-2007, 05:13 PM
lol

MoSpur
12-04-2007, 05:21 PM
That was a good recap. I heard that too and was cracking up.

duncan228
12-04-2007, 05:26 PM
:lol
Thanks Solid. I had the Blazers guys on League Pass, so I didn't get to hear it.
Sean is lots of fun calling the games, I love it when I get Spurs call on LP.
It's fun when Bowen tosses the towel on him before the games.

Solid D
12-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Sean had another one earlier in the game where he used the telestrator with humor. He showed video of Parker driving and drawing every Portland player to the middle and talked about how he fooled them...but he did a freeze-frame and circled the Spurs' Coyote. Sean said but look at the screen...theCoyote knows. The freeze-frame showed all Blazers looking at Parker and the Coyote looking at Brent Barry on the wing as Parker draws and kicks. Then the video goes to slo-motion and the Coyote raises his arms as the Barry 3-point shot leaves his hands. "The Coyote knows!" Swish.

duncan228
12-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Sean had another one earlier in the game where he used the telestrator with humor. He showed video of Parker driving and drawing every Portland player to the middle and talked about how he fooled them...but he did a freeze-frame and circled the Spurs' Coyote. Sean said but look at the screen...theCoyote knows. The freeze-frame showed all Blazers looking at Parker and the Coyote looking at Brent Barry on the wing as Parker draws and kicks. Then the video goes to slo-motion and the Coyote raises his arms as the Barry 3-point shot leaves his hands. "The Coyote knows!" Swish.

That's great stuff.

It's more fun when LP has Spurs call, then those of us in the game blog are seeing and hearing the same stuff.
Everything is different when it's the other teams call. The camera angles, what they show replays of, what they talk about.

Sometimes it's nice to get another view, but I prefer to be watching with our call.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-04-2007, 06:10 PM
:lol I remember that.

timvp
12-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Yeah, Solid D, Sean Elliott was hilarious last game.

The broadcasts with Elliott and Bill Land are so good that even if I go to the games, I'll re-watch the game to see what Elliott has to say. Not only is he entertaining, he's more "inside" than he lets on and knows everything the Spurs are trying to do inside and out. On road trips, he usually dines with the coaches so when he says something during the game, you know it's accurate.

Last year I was excited by Dave Barnett's return but when Land filled in, it quickly became apparent that the real star duo was Elliott and Land. Those two have great chemistry and the both know what's going on. I think this Elliott and Land pairing is by far the best announcing tandem in Spurs history.

The only thing you can complain about is the homerism but it's not as bad as in other markets. And really, Elliott is basically just the biggest Spurs fan on earth. He truly cares about the team winning.

sprrs
12-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah, Solid D
The only thing you can complain about is the homerism but it's not as bad as in other markets. And really, Elliott is basically just the biggest Spurs fan on earth. He truly cares about the team winning.

I still remember Sean almost getting ejected from one of those Spurs/Pistons finals games for arguing a call.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-04-2007, 06:40 PM
:tu Thanks Solid D!

But I freakin love the Land, Elliott combo! It never fails theres always a couple of laughs during the telecast. Although there is a hint of homerism which is to be expected cause they're calling for the Spurs market. They often do sing the praises of every opponent. And if I recall correctly Bill Land was recognized during halftime of the big 12 championship game. For all the play calling he does for FOX sports. :tu

Behrooz24
12-04-2007, 06:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNzbvQjA3W4

SAtown
12-04-2007, 06:57 PM

Hilarious, thanks

wildbill2u
12-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I live in Houston and the broadcast pair here are the worst homers in the world. And I used to play BB with Bill Worrell and like him as a person, but they are the worst.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-04-2007, 07:23 PM
:tu thanks! You always come through man!

spursfan09
12-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I think its funny whenever Sean actually starts to get mad as the spurs start losing or making mistakes.

mookie2001
12-04-2007, 09:23 PM
favorite sean quote-"this man has limbs for arms"

duncan228
12-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Not only is he entertaining, he's more "inside" than he lets on and knows everything the Spurs are trying to do inside and out. On road trips, he usually dines with the coaches so when he says something during the game, you know it's accurate.

I love the "inside" perspective. From Sean and from other former players I hear call games. They know the game from the inside out, and in Sean's case, he knows the team as well. It's a learning experience to listen to him.

angel_luv
12-04-2007, 09:32 PM
:lol Solid D

That recap was great- very funny.

Thanks for it since I missed hearing Sean as I was at the game.

SpursWoman
12-04-2007, 09:33 PM
"You know, this is what is scary to me that Bruce takes his picture without a sock on. We don't want to see that carmel-colored nail there (pointing at big toe). I mean, get a pedicure before you're going to ruin a perfectly good picture. "

Why I thought that was especially funny was because I know where Bruce gets his pedicures ... quite regularly, btw. :lol

Avitus1
12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
I def got to get LP again so I can catch the games that do have Elliot calling them. He is always entertaining. Still I'm reminded of his old, Taco Cabana commercials.

SenorSpur
12-04-2007, 10:53 PM
:lol :lol :lol

Great stuff. I can't stop laughing at this. Even though I had the Blazers broadcast, I can picture the whole thing unfolding and hear Sean's voice. Fantastic recap!

THE SIXTH MAN
12-04-2007, 11:06 PM
:lol :lol :lol

Great stuff. I can't stop laughing at this. Even though I had the Blazers broadcast, I can picture the whole thing unfolding and hear Sean's voice. Fantastic recap!
Theres a link in this thread a couple of posts up where you can see it.

Taco
05-12-2008, 01:31 PM
This is not a Sean Elliott funny but a Reggie Miller flub

He was trying to say Full Head of Steam but instead he said "Full Steam of Head"

and way cant people pronounce Fabricio's name correctly, I've heard Mark Jackson, Reggie Miller and Charles Barkley say Umberto, Humberto :lol

Slydragon
05-12-2008, 01:37 PM
What you talking 'bout Taco

xtremesteven33
05-12-2008, 01:42 PM
i remember when sean had a shot at calling games on ESPN but it didnt go too well. i guess he is only good when it comes to local broadcasts. i guess thats when he can really be himself and be entertaining.

him and bill walton i love to listen to for entertainment purposes

Lackluster
05-12-2008, 01:45 PM
"he brought the appetizers and the salads on that one!"

but my favorite one was when the camera was panning out from the crowd, fading out into a commercial break. sean and his partner had made their final comments of the segment and then a half second before the first commercial starts: "HOLLA!"

remingtonbo2001
05-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Sean is halarious. I hope he stays around for years.

Buddy Holly
05-12-2008, 02:49 PM
i remember when sean had a shot at calling games on ESPN but it didnt go too well. i guess he is only good when it comes to local broadcasts. i guess thats when he can really be himself and be entertaining.

him and bill walton i love to listen to for entertainment purposes

He actually quit the ESPN job. He didn't like all the traveling.