PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Prepare For Spurs Without Duncan

duncan228
12-04-2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/Mavs_note_120407.html

Mavs prepare for Spurs without Duncan

Art Garcia | Mavs.com

SAN ANTONIO – News flash from the Obvious Times: “Tim Duncan remains the center of the Spurs universe.”

“How long did it take you to come up with that one?” Mavericks coach Avery Johnson cracked Tuesday after being asked if the Spurs still revolve around the Big Fundamental.

In fairness to the reporter who offered it up, the question was posed with the bigger picture in mind. Duncan is the San Antonio’s third leading scorer, falling behind Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, but his impact remains second to no one.

He may have been scoring 17.6 points and grabbing 8.9 rebounds, both are easily career lows, before hurting his right ankle and knee Sunday. Somehow, though, the numbers lie.

“Even if he’s not averaging the numbers,” Johnson explained, “it still feels like he’s getting 27 and 15 every night because he draws so much attention.”

The Spurs (15-3) won’t have Duncan when the Mavs (12-6) make to their first AT&T Center visit of the season Wednesday night. It’s a definite blow for San Antonio, which had started the same lineup the first 18 games.

But it’s not killer one might think. Parker has emerged to the point where he was the Finals MVP back in June. Ginobili, who may be out with a hand injury, is having a career year. Duncan’s stats are down, but the Spurs’ start ties the best ever in franchise history.

So the Mavs head into their second matchup with San Antonio in three weeks determined not to fall into the Duncan-is-not-here trap.

“We should be up for this game just because of who it is,” Johnson said. “If Ginobili didn’t play or Parker didn’t play of Duncan, it’s still the Spurs and it’s a big game because they’re the champions.”

Dallas won the previous meeting and would pull within two games in the Southwest Division with another victory. Though division races seem trivial the first week in December, wins now count as much as those in April in the standings.

“Anytime we can win a game here, no matter who’s playing or who is out, it’s still a big game,” said Devin Harris, who was cleared to play after hurting his neck Monday at Chicago.

And should the Mavs win again, it doesn’t change the dynamic between these I-35 rivals.

“I don’t think there are no statement games,” Johnson said. “Right now until somebody beats them in the playoffs, they can do whatever they want. At the end of the day that’s all that matters.”

The Mavs, not so incidentally, are the only team to beat San Antonio in the postseason in the last three years. The Spurs titles of 2005 and ’07 are sandwiched around Dallas’ seven-game triumph in the 2006 Western Conference semifinals.

The development of Duncan’s supporting cast draws a natural parallel with the evolution in North Texas. Coming off his MVP season, numbers are down for Dirk Nowitzki across the board.

Many of those same numbers happen to be up for Josh Howard, Jason Terry and Harris.

“We all know this league is too good that you can win by yourself,” Nowitzki said. “You’ve got to have a great group of guys together. Guys that can take over games.

“Just one guy by himself is not going to get it done in this league. If you want to win the championship, you have to be solid defensively and offensively you have to know how to attack from a lot of angles.”

That much should be obvious.

Layups

• Devin Harris practiced Tuesday after taking an elbow to his neck from Bulls forward Joakim Noah the previous night. Though he’s sore, he wasn’t limited at practice. “Stiff or not, I will play,” he said.

• Devean George and Eddie Jones also participated in the workout to different degrees. George could return before the end of the week. Jones’ target date is sometime next week at the earliest.

djohn14
12-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Has Ian been called back up yet...just wondering.

BonnerDynasty
12-04-2007, 10:16 PM
I hope TD goes into the playoffs averaging 10/10. Then we can unleash hell and hopefully our deep bench can really dominate. The reaction from people who don't follow the Spurs will be entertaining.

mavsfan1000
12-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Good to hear that George is going to back soon. I think he should get his starting spot back so Terry or Harris can come off the bench and provide a spark.

TwoHandJam
12-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Good to hear that George is going to back soon. I think he should get his starting spot back so Terry or Harris can come off the bench and provide a spark.
:wtf

I thought Terry was already coming off the bench?

DubMcDub
12-05-2007, 12:13 AM
:wtf

I thought Terry was already coming off the bench?

He's been starting the past few games due to the injuries that have been piling up.

Kobulingam
12-05-2007, 01:40 AM
He's been starting the past few games due to the injuries that have been piling up.

Weak.

Supergirl
12-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Hahahaha. I love seeing the Mavs in a no-win situation. If they lose to the Duncan-less Spurs, then they really suck. If they win, it's meaningless because, well, no Duncan.

J.T.
12-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Good chance for the Spurs to try out small ball lineups against Dallas. Obviously, it's going to take every Spur to play a complete game and not have any breakdown to beat the Mavs minus Duncan. I think we lose the game, but it will be closer than most think. Maybe under 10 points.

This is the time for Bonner to step up. Don't expect much from Horry in a December game.

Findog
12-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Hahahaha. I love seeing the Mavs in a no-win situation. If they lose to the Duncan-less Spurs, then they really suck. If they win, it's meaningless because, well, no Duncan.

It's only a no-win situation if the Spurs win. The Mavs DO have to qualify for the playoffs after all. I don't think 12 wins will be sufficient. We've already demonstrated we can beat San Antonio. I think we've demonstrated that 9 out of the last 13 times we've played the Spurs. If we lose, then it's because we took you guys lightly.

BonnerDynasty
12-05-2007, 12:06 PM
This is the time for Bonner to step up. Don't expect much from Horry in a December game.

I agree. We can't rely on Duncan and Horry to be the only big men that can play defense. Elson is good when he plays to his full potential but how often is that. I hope that our bigs either look like complete shit on D so that Pop will rip into them for the next 5 months, or that they will finally play some D.

FromWayDowntown
12-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Bennett Salvatore is tonight's lead official -- for whatever that's worth.

ChumpDumper
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Has Ian been called back up yet...just wondering.I don't think Duncan will be out long enough to make it worth scrapping one of Ian's assignments.

Findog
12-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Bennett Salvatore is tonight's lead official -- for whatever that's worth.

It's worth about 40 free throw attempts for both teams. He's like a horse that needs to be put down.

spursfan09
12-05-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm going to the game tonight, kind of sux there's no Timmy but I think if manu plays Spurs have a good chance of beating the mavs tonight. Go Spurs Go!

FromWayDowntown
12-05-2007, 12:49 PM
It's worth about 40 free throw attempts for both teams. He's like a horse that needs to be put down.

Well, the Mavs and Spurs seem to be vying (unwittingly) for the honor of being the club that Salvatore most despises.

Findog
12-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Well, the Mavs and Spurs seem to be vying (unwittingly) for the honor of being the club that Salvatore most despises.

He just uglies the game up. Let 'em play.

FromWayDowntown
12-05-2007, 12:55 PM
He just uglies the game up. Let 'em play.

Oh, you're preaching to the choir on that one.

timvp
12-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Bennett Salvatore is tonight's lead official -- for whatever that's worth.Maybe Darius Washington can come back from Austin dressed as Dwyane Wade.

:santahat

Supergirl
12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
It's only a no-win situation if the Spurs win. The Mavs DO have to qualify for the playoffs after all. I don't think 12 wins will be sufficient. We've already demonstrated we can beat San Antonio. I think we've demonstrated that 9 out of the last 13 times we've played the Spurs. If we lose, then it's because we took you guys lightly.

Uh, how do you figure? or are you just a Mavs troll?

Because anytime one team faces another team without it's big star, it's a no win for the healthy team. If they win, it's an * win, and if they lose, it's demoralizing.

Mavs are built to beat the Spurs, no doubt. They are the toughest match up the Spurs have when everyone's healthy, so tonight they should beat the Spurs even easier. Except that the Mavs biggest weakness is themselves and their own inability to not crumble under pressure.

Avitus1
12-05-2007, 01:35 PM
This game will be either interesting or horrible.

m33p0
12-05-2007, 01:44 PM
This game will be either interesting or horrible.

i'm rooting for the former. spurs playing at home with nothing to lose except 1 game and bragging rights (at least for spurs fans) if they win.

howbouthemspurs
12-05-2007, 01:52 PM
The spurs will win this one.. Tim is the center of the universe! Ginobili and Parker are both Supernovas!!!

Findog
12-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Because anytime one team faces another team without it's big star, it's a no win for the healthy team.

If the Mavs lose, then yes, it's a no-win scenario.

If they win, it's an * win

Will that asterisk appear next to the box score? In the standings? Will the win somehow count less?

Mavs are built to beat the Spurs, no doubt. They are the toughest match up the Spurs have when everyone's healthy, so tonight they should beat the Spurs even easier. Except that the Mavs biggest weakness is themselves and their own inability to not crumble under pressure

We won't learn anything new tonight, no matter the final score. When both teams are healthy, the Mavs are more than capable of beating San Antonio. In addition, so far this year the Mavs have had a tendency to play down to their competition, and the Spurs without Duncan are clearly inferior to the Mavs. So an upset is possible. Other than that, there's no "statement" to be made and nothing to be discovered that we don't already know. If the Mavs win, they make a game up on San Antonio in the standings and keep pace with the other teams vying for the playoffs. If they lose, it's because they took a clearly inferior team too lightly, which they've already done quite a bit this year.

BonnerDynasty
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Spurs always play down to their competition (i.e. 70 pt games vs Cavs in Finals).

If the Mavs lose this game I will be convinced they are playing down to keep from getting a highseed.

Findog
12-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Spurs always play down to their competition (i.e. 70 pt games vs Cavs in Finals).

If the Mavs lose this game I will be convinced they are playing down to keep from getting a highseed.

This whole asterisk business is nonsense. It's not like we're the Suns or the Warriors, and we can't beat Duncan's Spurs to save our lives. We lost to the Wiz without Gil at home, it absolutely would not surprise me if the Spurs win tonight.