PDA

View Full Version : how many points does Hawaii have to beat Georgia by to be..............

inconvertible
12-05-2007, 01:21 PM
the national champs?

I say 28.

Thunder Dan
12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
You know whose fault it is that Hawaii can't win a National Title? it's their own conference, themselves, and their fans.

The reason the WAC isnt recongnized by the BCS is because each school doesn't meet attendance standards set forth by the NCAA in order to become a BCS conference. If they drew a little more for each WAC game, and the WAC scheduled teams like Michigan, USC, Ohio State, Florida and others with big stadiums, they would meet those standards for overall attendace and we wouldn't have this problem.....but we also wouldn't have undefeated teams coming out of the WAC each year.

Extra Stout
12-05-2007, 01:54 PM
You know whose fault it is that Hawaii can't win a National Title? it's their own conference, themselves, and their fans.

The reason the WAC isnt recongnized by the BCS is because each school doesn't meet attendance standards set forth by the NCAA in order to become a BCS conference. If they drew a little more for each WAC game, and the WAC scheduled teams like Michigan, USC, Ohio State, Florida and others with big stadiums, they would meet those standards for overall attendace and we wouldn't have this problem.....but we also wouldn't have undefeated teams coming out of the WAC each year.
In the WAC's defense, schools like Hawaii certainly attempt to schedule the big BCS conference schools, but those schools want no part of it.

Thunder Dan
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
In the WAC's defense, schools like Hawaii certainly attempt to schedule the big BCS conference schools, but those schools want no part of it.

Pac 10 and Big 12 schools would have no problem playing WAC teams on their own fields. USC played Idaho this year, and I'm sure you could hook the big boys from each conference if the WAC truley wanted to get their attendance up, but to he honest, I think they like the controversy to help get their names out there.

But it would be hard to guess who will be good and who won't

Extra Stout
12-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Pac 10 and Big 12 schools would have no problem playing WAC teams on their own fields. USC played Idaho this year, and I'm sure you could hook the big boys from each conference if the WAC truley wanted to get their attendance up, but to he honest, I think they like the controversy to help get their names out there.

But it would be hard to guess who will be good and who won't
A&M and Kansas State did play Fresno State this year.

Big the Big 10 and SEC schools aren't so eager to share.

leroyjenkins
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
wasnt Hawaii supposed to play Michigan State this year too but Mich bought the contract?

tlongII
12-05-2007, 03:50 PM
If Hawaii wins by 1 point then they should be National Champs.

romad_20
12-05-2007, 04:26 PM
If they beat UGA at all they should be National champs, but they won't.

SEC teams usually play MAC and Con USA teams, they're not going to go all the way to the west coast to play WAC teams. The SEC doesn't have anything to prove, it's the WAC that wants to prove it belongs. Boise St tried to come out to Athens and prove themselves and got handled so other WAC teams probably won't try that again. I don't think it's very smart to try and play cross country games in college, hell even the pro's have a hard time with it sometimes.

K-State Spur
12-05-2007, 05:26 PM
A&M and Kansas State did play Fresno State this year.

Big the Big 10 and SEC schools aren't so eager to share.

And the phrase "never again" was uttered by some Wilcat administrators afterward.

If you are a good mid-major program, you're going to have trouble getting the big boys to schedule you. It's viewed as a lose/lose.

How many times do we have to see BCS teams buy out of these games before people realize this?

K-State Spur
12-05-2007, 05:28 PM

So it goes like this...

NCAA: "Yes, Hawaii, we'll accept you as a D1A team. But you will be INELIGIBLE for the national title game. I realize that no other league/conference/assocation in the world has participants where the games count, but they are ineligible for the title, but hey, that's what makes us special!"

romad_20
12-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Hawaii can't even get soap for their own players, what makes anyone think that a big school will want to come to a place like that?

spursRgay
12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
If Hawaii blows out Georgia (which I personally don't believe they will do) & the NC game is a close one, they could do what USC did in 2003. When LSU won the BCS NC game against Oklahoma, and USC beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl, the AP chose USC as the National Champs. It's far-fetched, but it could happen.

Thunder Dan
12-05-2007, 09:03 PM
The best is to see people bitch about Ohio State's schedule then come and say that Hawaii should be National Champions... there seems to be a lack of continuity with that argument

JamStone
12-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Hawaii approached Michigan, Michigan State, and USC to play and all of those schools turned them down.

JamStone
12-05-2007, 09:24 PM
The best is to see people bitch about Ohio State's schedule then come and say that Hawaii should be National Champions... there seems to be a lack of continuity with that argument

Not complete lack of continuity if you add to the fact Ohio State will have lost one game and Hawaii would have lost zero games.

Holmes_Fans
12-05-2007, 09:26 PM
wasnt Hawaii supposed to play Michigan State this year too but Mich bought the contract?
I thought it was U Michigan? Because some people on TV were joking about them opting out of that game, and scheduling App State instead :lol

SrA Husker
12-05-2007, 09:33 PM

Before he left, Nebraska AD Steve Pederson was actively and publicly trying to put Hawaii on the schedule, but Hawaii would not accept a home-and-away. Hawaii wants everyone to come to their house but won't play tough schools on the road.

The main reason no one will just go to Hawaii is because of the blatant home-cooked refs. In both football and basketball, it's damn obvious.

JamStone
12-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I thought it was U Michigan? Because some people on TV were joking about them opting out of that game, and scheduling App State instead :lol

It was both. Hawaii tried to play both schools. Both schools turned them down.

Michigan would have got blasted by Hawaii too with their pro set, run and shoot offense.

JamStone
12-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Before he left, Nebraska AD Steve Pederson was actively and publicly trying to put Hawaii on the schedule, but Hawaii would not accept a home-and-away. Hawaii wants everyone to come to their house but won't play tough schools on the road.

The main reason no one will just go to Hawaii is because of the blatant home-cooked refs. In both football and basketball, it's damn obvious.

I heard that too. But, I'm not sure if that was the case with Michigan, Michigan State, and USC. Probably, because you also have very long travel and the distractions of the islands which would give Hawaii great a homefield edge.

MajorMike
12-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Hawai'i is normally a destination of someone who knows they aren't going to a bowl. uo went there in Dec '83, a game scheduled after the Neb game when they were on probation.

K-State Spur
12-05-2007, 10:41 PM

actually the main reason is travel expense.

but yes, you do get awful awful officiating when you schedule a road with a mid-major. not that it affected the outcome, but KSU saw it with Fresno.

SrA Husker
12-05-2007, 10:48 PM
actually the main reason is travel expense.

but yes, you do get awful awful officiating when you schedule a road with a mid-major. not that it affected the outcome, but KSU saw it with Fresno.

I don't buy the travel expense... for the team itself, they get a free home game to make up the expense. And then while the expense might be a lot for fans, that doesn't stop basketball teams from rushing to the Hawaii tournaments each November.

K-State Spur
12-05-2007, 11:24 PM
basketball travel expenses are SIGNIFICANTLY less than football. (about 1/5 the travel squad + much less equipment.)

kingsfan
12-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Hawaii are not going to win, discussion over. GO DAWGS!!! :elephant

StoneCutter
12-05-2007, 11:39 PM
I normally don't read the college sports thread, but the mention of Hawaii caught my eye. I live in Hawaii. Michigan State was scheduled and did buy out their game versus UH. The Athletic Director did try to schedule Michigan and some other big schools, but couldn't work it out. The result...UH ended up playing two division II schools on their way to a perfect season. While I support the team, I think the road to the BCS game that UH (and Boise State last year) took, sends the wrong message. You can only play who is on your schedule, but how many teams could have gone undefeated if they had UH's schedule. In any case, Hawaii opens up against Florida next year.

Georgia is an early 11 point favorite. Sounds about right to me. It will be interesting to see how motivated Georgia is.

If UH wins, will they get a lot of support to be national champs? I doubt it. I have never been a fan of the BCS. Champions should be settled on the field. I know it won't happen any time soon, but division 1 needs a playoff.

Holt's Cat
12-05-2007, 11:40 PM
:jackoff

LaMarcus Bryant
12-06-2007, 12:02 AM
If only they had a dominant aggie helmet they could suck ass against every possible team they play and then dominate their chief reason for existence and proclaim the season a success.

SrA Husker
12-06-2007, 12:18 AM
basketball travel expenses are SIGNIFICANTLY less than football. (about 1/5 the travel squad + much less equipment.)

I understand that completely. I was referring more to fan travel, which would be the same for either sport. As I mentioned, Football teams that visit Hawaii are awarded with a 13th game, where it is assumed they will schedule a home game and easily make up travel expenses during that game.

Ignignokt
12-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Before he left, Nebraska AD Steve Pederson was actively and publicly trying to put Hawaii on the schedule, but Hawaii would not accept a home-and-away. Hawaii wants everyone to come to their house but won't play tough schools on the road.:lmao :lmao :lmao

:lmao :lmao.

Scoreboard bitch!!!

SrA Husker
12-06-2007, 12:30 AM
:lmao :lmao.

Scoreboard bitch!!!

I forget, what team are you rooting for this week?

johngateswhiteley
12-06-2007, 05:06 AM

Southern Cal WENT to Hawaii in 2005 and beat their ass 63-17.

johngateswhiteley
12-06-2007, 05:07 AM

johngateswhiteley
12-06-2007, 05:09 AM
I heard that too. But, I'm not sure if that was the case with Michigan, Michigan State, and USC. Probably, because you also have very long travel and the distractions of the islands which would give Hawaii great a homefield edge.

MajorMike
12-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Are you cereal?

Are you cereal?

Are you cereal?

rr2418
12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
I will be rooting for Hawaii but I don't think they could even be considered for the NC even if they win by 20 points. I thought that's what the NC game was for. Wouldn't the loser of the NC game automatically be #2?