PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone looking forward to the Mitchell Report?

BeerIsGood!
12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Should be coming out in the next few weeks. Does anyone care anymore? Does anyone think that it'll be completely accurate given Mitchell's fanboy alliance with the Red Sox proven by the timing of the Byrd information leak? I think Mitchell spent 20 months wasting his and everyone else's time.

Burn531
12-06-2007, 04:25 AM
I am. Should cause a stir up in the news.

degenerate_gambler
12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
a whole lotta nothing.

if anything juicy was in there someone would've leaked it by now.

just like the cops....they'll take care of their own.

Nbadan
12-12-2007, 03:29 AM
Make that, 50 named whole lots of nothing...

The headquarters for George J. Mitchell’s investigation into the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball has been the DLA Piper law offices in Midtown Manhattan, right next to Rockefeller Center and only blocks from the Park Avenue offices of Major League Baseball. On Tuesday, as Mitchell’s 20-month investigation drew to a conclusion, it was Major League Baseball that was on the move, as officials from the sport went to the DLA Piper offices to get a look at the report.

What it contains will be officially revealed Thursday, when first Mitchell and then Commissioner Bud Selig will hold separate news conferences in Manhattan to discuss the findings. But two people who are familiar with Mitchell’s investigation, and his findings, said that the report would contain the names of more than 50 active and former major league players who are linked to the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

The individuals spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to publicly discuss the details of the inquiry. Both said many of the names in the report are directly tied to information provided to Mitchell’s investigators by Kirk Radomski, a former bat boy and clubhouse attendant for the Mets who pleaded guilty to steroid distribution in April.

NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/12/sports/baseball/12mitchell.html?ref=baseball)

Kermit
12-13-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm suprised nothing's been leaked as of yet. Any guesses as to who's on it?

sa_butta
12-13-2007, 11:24 AM
George Mitchell unleashes his report on baseball's drug culture at
2 p.m. ET.

http://espn.go.com/

K-State Spur
12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
as much as i detest the players and owners for letting steroids forever ruin baseball stats - i get a bit of a mccarthyist vibe with the mitchell report.

dmac
12-13-2007, 12:13 PM
I've got a 12 pack and a bowl of pretzels, the TV on ESPN news and my remote control in hand. DVR is ready, I'm ready, BRING IT!!!

:downspin:

DarkReign
12-13-2007, 01:01 PM
I've got a 12 pack and a bowl of pretzels, the TV on ESPN news and my remote control in hand. DVR is ready, I'm ready, BRING IT!!!

:downspin:

Get a job.

BeerIsGood!
12-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Let's see - the names I've heard so far are Clemens and Pettite, both former Yankees. That does it for me, this report is completely biased and all of the Red Sox got a pass from this crooked ass. At least we'll know for sure what Yankees were involved in steroids, but more than likely we'll never know all of the Red Sox juicers or other friends of Mitchell.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Then you should probably open your ears.

Mitchell: Each of the 30 MLB clubs had a player or players involved in taking illegal substances.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-13-2007, 02:14 PM
With the benefit of hindsight, it is clear that baseball missed the early warning
signs of a growing crisis. Then, beginning in the summer of 2000, a number of incidents
involving steroids or drug paraphernalia came to the attention of club and Commissioner’s
Office officials, and the Players Association. They included:

In June 2000, state police in Boston discovered steroids and hypodermic needles
in the glove compartment of a vehicle belonging to a Boston Red Sox infielder;

B. Steroids Found in Boston Red Sox Player’s Car, June 2000
On June 30, 2000, a clubhouse employee of the Boston Red Sox, Carlos Cowart, and a friend of his were sitting in Manny Alexander’s parked sports utility vehicle when they were approached by Massachusetts state police officers. Alexander, then a utility infielder with the Red Sox, was away with the team. The officers suspected that the car had been stolen, but, in fact, Alexander had loaned it to Cowart while the team was away.

During a search of the vehicle, police discovered two hypodermic needles and a
bottle of anabolic steroids in the glove compartment. At least one news report stated that the steroids were in an envelope addressed to Alexander, although we were not able to confirm that assertion. The police applied for two criminal complaints against Alexander, for possession of Class E anabolic steroids and for possession of hypodermic needles. Neither Cowart nor the friend who was with him was charged with any offense. On February 28, 2001, the charges against Alexander were dismissed for “insufficient evidence having been presented after hearing."

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Jeremy Giambi when he was with the Red Sox. (Mitchell Report, Page 119 - From Game of Shadows)

Extra Stout
12-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Let's see - the names I've heard so far are Clemens and Pettite, both former Yankees. That does it for me, this report is completely biased and all of the Red Sox got a pass from this crooked ass. At least we'll know for sure what Yankees were involved in steroids, but more than likely we'll never know all of the Red Sox juicers or other friends of Mitchell.
Mo Vaughn

K-State Spur
12-13-2007, 02:20 PM

Well, if he's willing to name Varitek (arguably the most popular member of that team), hard to believe that he left anybody off the list.

However, I do agree with you that he doesn't exactly reek of impartiality.

You'd think for a report like this, baseball would go out of its way to bring in somebody not associated with a particular team.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Where is Varitek's name in the report?

Extra Stout
12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Those preliminary lists were way off.

Kermit
12-13-2007, 02:55 PM
But Wally Joyner is in there. Weird.

K-State Spur
12-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Where is Varitek's name in the report?

You're correct. It was one the names leaked this morning, but looking at the report now, he's not in there. It was said that the early leak had some mistakes.

Well, that is semi-interesting then. No current Red Sox named and the former ones were either non-entities or didn't exactly leave on the best of terms.

I'm not going to say that he wasn't impartial - but when you get a guy on the Red Sox board to file the report - how independent is it really???

BeerIsGood!
12-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Mo Vaughn and jeremy giambi? Give me a fucking break. Of course he's throwing in a few token oldies that don't matter anymore. You know that goof ass Manny shot the shit up but Mitchell won't out anyone that played a role in the 2 title teams. What a fucking joke.