PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather-Hatton...

florige
12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I think Floyd takes his first loss here.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
I sure hope so... Hatton is a tough sob

dallaskd
12-05-2007, 07:50 PM
I cant stand Mayweather.

oligarchy
12-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Most people don't like him, but I don't see him losing to Hatton.

florige
12-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Most people don't like him, but I don't see him losing to Hatton.

I don;t know. But I'll tell you this much, Floyd had better bring his A game for this one. That dude is a hard hitter let me tell you.

LEONARD
12-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Please Hatton...turn Mayweather's lights out...otherwise, boring decision for Mayweather...

degenerate_gambler
12-06-2007, 10:41 AM
That dude is a hard hitter let me tell you.

Hatton's problem will be trying to run down a backpeddaling Mayweather. Same M.O. as his fight agains de la Hoya....throw some weak ass combo then back up and run around the ring.

2centsworth
12-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Please Hatton...turn Mayweather's lights out...otherwise, boring decision for Mayweather...
yup, unless Floyd decides like he does 1 out of 20 fights to let his punches go like he did against Diego Corrales.

degenerate_gambler
12-06-2007, 11:12 AM
yup, unless Floyd decides like he does 1 out of 20 fights to let his punches go like he did against Diego Corrales.

that was 5-6 years ago...

Duncan21
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
i can't stand hatton, i hope mayweather beat the shit out of him.

O-Factor
12-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Mayweather is a bad representation of America. I hope Hatton beats the dog shit out of him. I think he will too.

BacktoBasics
12-06-2007, 11:37 AM
This fight will go to Mayweather on points. Everyone think Hatton is a brawler because he's been is some pretty good fights in the past but really Hattons strengths lie with his ability to get in tight, hold then counter effectively. Mayweather is almost strictly a defensive fighter and with him backing up and protecting all night Hatton will have a tough time getting what he wants out of him. There isn't a chance in hell that Mayweather will hurt Hatton but I can promise you he'll annoy the shit out of him by not inticing action which will really hinder hider Hattons ability to land a one-two or small flurry as a counter. Ultimately Mayweather will just pick and choose his moments to win on points.

I'll be pulling for Hatton though.

I also don't think Hatton can hurt Mayweather, too good of a defender. Hatton is a strong fighter but he's not as powerful as people think he is.

MoSpur
12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
I think Hatton can beat Mayweather. Mayweather is a better talker than a fighter. The guy does not know how to fight. All he does is run around the ring. His fights are boring and that's the reason a lot of people are becoming fans of MMA.

BeerIsGood!
12-06-2007, 01:06 PM
I think Hatton can beat Mayweather. Mayweather is a better talker than a fighter. The guy does not know how to fight. All he does is run around the ring. His fights are boring and that's the reason a lot of people are becoming fans of MMA.

Fight? No.

But that fucker can box, and that's the name of the game. Hatton's only choice is cut off the ring and use his love for body punching to his advantage. Trying to hit Mayweather in the head early isn't going to do anything, Hatton needs to dive into his body and work his ribs almost exclusively with both hands for 6 to 7 rounds. Hit him enough in the ribs and he will slow down.

BeerIsGood!
12-06-2007, 01:07 PM
His fights are boring and that's the reason a lot of people are becoming fans of MMA.

I like MMA and all, but that's not happening much.

LEONARD
12-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I like MMA and all, but that's not happening much.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1076/1495/210555.jpg

*waits for the flames*

Evan
12-06-2007, 01:15 PM
the picture speaks the truth

/ex boxing fan, now mma fan

oligarchy
12-06-2007, 02:47 PM
^- i'm with stu.. er same with me :)

BacktoBasics
12-06-2007, 05:56 PM
God fucking dammit you stupid annoying motherfucking mma crybaby faggots. Enough already. This is about a boxing match can we fucking stay on god damn topic for once in this fucking forum. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ALREADY WE ARE ALL FUCKING SICK AND TIRED OF THE SAME SHIT EVERY FUCKING TIME.

Hatton vs. Mayweather discuss.

LEONARD
12-06-2007, 06:20 PM
God fucking dammit you stupid annoying motherfucking mma crybaby faggots. Enough already. This is about a boxing match can we fucking stay on god damn topic for once in this fucking forum. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ALREADY WE ARE ALL FUCKING SICK AND TIRED OF THE SAME SHIT EVERY FUCKING TIME.

Hatton vs. Mayweather discuss.

SUCCESS!!

:lol

O-Factor
12-06-2007, 10:39 PM
This fight will go to Mayweather on points. Everyone think Hatton is a brawler because he's been is some pretty good fights in the past but really Hattons strengths lie with his ability to get in tight, hold then counter effectively. Mayweather is almost strictly a defensive fighter and with him backing up and protecting all night Hatton will have a tough time getting what he wants out of him. There isn't a chance in hell that Mayweather will hurt Hatton but I can promise you he'll annoy the shit out of him by not inticing action which will really hinder hider Hattons ability to land a one-two or small flurry as a counter. Ultimately Mayweather will just pick and choose his moments to win on points.

I'll be pulling for Hatton though.

I also don't think Hatton can hurt Mayweather, too good of a defender. Hatton is a strong fighter but he's not as powerful as people think he is.

Hatton even eluded to that in 24/7, where he said he'd love for Floyd to stand in front of him and box him, but that Floyd would be backing up all night.

cornbread
12-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Hatton will give Mayweather his first L. No vbookie yet?

Purple & Gold
12-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Mayweather will kill him.

BeerIsGood!
12-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Mayweather will kill him.

Mayweather couldn't kill a fly. If you mean kill him with points then you may be right, but take the gloves off and Hatton would ruin him.

BeerIsGood!
12-07-2007, 01:54 PM
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1076/1495/210555.jpg

*waits for the flames*

Yes, because a poll consisted solely of people who visit the ESPN website is a fair and unbiased poll that represents the entire FUCKING WORLD!! Learn something about probability and statistics and learn what exactly an accurate statistical poll would entail.

2centsworth
12-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Yes, because a poll consisted solely of people who visit the ESPN website is a fair and unbiased poll that represents the entire FUCKING WORLD!! Learn something about probability and statistics and learn what exactly an accurate statistical poll would entail.Leonard thinks white 20 somethings are the world. Of course, all MMA has left is to try to shoot down boxing. MMA is dying, but they will always have 2006 lol.

anyways, Mayweather fights usually suck to watch, but a lot of people will watch it hoping he gets his butt kicked.

Purple & Gold
12-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Mayweather couldn't kill a fly. If you mean kill him with points then you may be right, but take the gloves off and Hatton would ruin him.

Well that is what I meant. :cell

pugman
12-08-2007, 02:03 AM
Leonard thinks white 20 somethings are the world. Of course, all MMA has left is to try to shoot down boxing. MMA is dying, but they will always have 2006 lol.

anyways, Mayweather fights usually suck to watch, but a lot of people will watch it hoping he gets his butt kicked.

so true. HBO boxing destroyed the UFC at the box office this year. The DLH/Mayweather and Mayweather/Hatton fights alone will bring in as much, if not more money than all of the UFC's PPVs this year. Too bad the annoying fans still feel the need to bring it up in EVERY boxing thread. And that ESPN poll proves nothing. Half the people who voted for MMA over boxing probably aren't even a real fan of either sport anyway. MMA's numbers have been down across the board this year, and boxing's have been up across the board.

SAtoDallas
12-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I can't justify spending my money on this one, on one hand you have mayweather whose defense first syle is absolutely boring vs Hatton whose clutch and hit style is ugly. I'm tired of Mayweather pulling a Roy Jones on the fans just carefully choosing his opponents low risk high reward then claiming he's the best.

The_Worlds_finest
12-08-2007, 12:05 PM
yeah serioulsy who the fuck cares if more people like mma, i highly doubt MMA will ever be as big as boxing was in its hayday. Mma is the same as wwf except its real.
Btw Hatton wins.

BacktoBasics
12-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I can't justify spending my money on this one, on one hand you have mayweather whose defense first syle is absolutely boring vs Hatton whose clutch and hit style is ugly. I'm tired of Mayweather pulling a Roy Jones on the fans just carefully choosing his opponents low risk high reward then claiming he's the best.
Not that I don't agree with your points but as someone who truely love the art of boxing I can appreciate a defensive fight. I don't know about Hatton being cherry picked or anything, he's a good fighter and certainly earned a shot.

whottt
12-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Hatton will get his ass kicked.

SAtoDallas
12-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Not that I don't agree with your points but as someone who truely love the art of boxing I can appreciate a defensive fight. I don't know about Hatton being cherry picked or anything, he's a good fighter and certainly earned a shot.

I too enjoy the art of boxing but I find Mayweather to be slightly more entertaining than Cory Spinks, what gets me is that Mayweather speaks as if he were a brawler when he's not.

I know Hatton is a good fighter but he's not a 147 lb fighter which is where this fight is taking place, there are other more formidable fighters at 147 that Mayweather isn't going to fight. I believe Hatton got the call because Mayweather saw how Ricky struggled fighting at 147 with Luis Collazo who is also a slick boxer. Now that being said I hope Hatton pull off the upset.

Kriz-Maxima
12-08-2007, 03:10 PM
I'll be seeing this fight and im pulling for a Hatton win.

BacktoBasics
12-08-2007, 04:07 PM
I too enjoy the art of boxing but I find Mayweather to be slightly more entertaining than Cory Spinks, what gets me is that Mayweather speaks as if he were a brawler when he's not.

I know Hatton is a good fighter but he's not a 147 lb fighter which is where this fight is taking place, there are other more formidable fighters at 147 that Mayweather isn't going to fight. I believe Hatton got the call because Mayweather saw how Ricky struggled fighting at 147 with Luis Collazo who is also a slick boxer. Now that being said I hope Hatton pull off the upset.
LMAO @ thinks he's a brawler. I see that shit too and it annoys me. Who else would you rather see at 147?

LaMarcus Bryant
12-08-2007, 06:07 PM
I think Mayweather is incapable of being outboxed.
But it would be cool to see him get coldcocked

SAtoDallas
12-08-2007, 07:04 PM
LMAO @ thinks he's a brawler. I see that shit too and it annoys me. Who else would you rather see at 147?

I'd rather see him fight Cotto,Clottey,Margarito,or Paul Williams I think any of those four would make for a better fight but I doubt he's up to the challenge.

Evan
12-08-2007, 08:07 PM
so true. HBO boxing destroyed the UFC at the box office this year. The DLH/Mayweather and Mayweather/Hatton fights alone will bring in as much, if not more money than all of the UFC's PPVs this year. Too bad the annoying fans still feel the need to bring it up in EVERY boxing thread. And that ESPN poll proves nothing. Half the people who voted for MMA over boxing probably aren't even a real fan of either sport anyway. MMA's numbers have been down across the board this year, and boxing's have been up across the board.

Care to back that up with some proof?

And Boxing fans spill over to the MMA threads all the time as well.

2 way street.

maelith
12-08-2007, 08:15 PM
I think hatton will win this fight

nkdlunch
12-08-2007, 11:45 PM
anybody watching this? what is going on?

Pistons < Spurs
12-08-2007, 11:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3145335

ESPN gave the first round to Hatton

Pistons < Spurs
12-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Round 1

Mayweather circles, jabs. Hatton coming forward. Hatton mauls Mayweather in close. Good left from Mayweather!! Big left hook from Hatton staggers Mayweather. Lots of mauling in close. Good straight right from Floyd.
Kieran Mulvaney scores it: 10-9, Hatton
Darius Ortiz scores it: 10-9, Hatton

Pistons < Spurs
12-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Round 2

Hatton comes out fast, landing right hands. Big left hook from Hatton. Hook from Mayweather. Uppercut and hook while holding from Hatton, and Cortez warns both fighters about roughhousing. Lovely straight right from Mayweather. Hooks from Hatton. More warnings from Cortez. Hatton chases Mayweather around ring with hooks. All Ricky at the moment.
Darius Ortiz scores it: 10-9, Mayweather

Pistons < Spurs
12-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Round 3

Leaping left hook from Hatton. Right hand out of a clinch from Hatton. Mayweather trying to tie up Hatton when up close, but Ricky staying on him. Hatton is keeping Floyd pinned to the ropes, but now Floyd lands excellent right-left-right in center ring. Hatton has a cut above his right eye.

Pistons < Spurs
12-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Round 4

Mayweather seems like he has been able to get just a bit more distance, and as a result is landing some crisp punches. Good right from Floyd, and then another combo explodes off Ricky's jaw. Ricky is coming forward but not geting off many ounches at the moment. Looks like Floyd has started to figure him out.
Kieran Mulvaney scores it: 10-9, Mayweather

Pistons < Spurs
12-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Round 5

Hatton closing the distance again and smothering Mayweather. As soon as a bit of distance opens up, Mayweather lands a short right hand. Hatton goes back to swarming him along the ropes, but then Mayweatgher lands a two-punch combination in ring center. Honestly, I found that a relatively tough round to score as Hattonwas more aggressive, but Floyd's punches were sharper. I'm going with Ricky.

nkdlunch
12-09-2007, 12:18 AM
thx

nkdlunch
12-09-2007, 12:19 AM
I knew mayweather was gonna win, no point ordering this

I can't stand mayweather but he's the man

Tippecanoe
12-09-2007, 12:19 AM
i will never understand how boxing is scored :lol

Pistons < Spurs
12-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Round 6

Mayweather is jabbing to the body. Nice left from Mayweather and a short right, as Hatton swarms him. Hatton hits Mayweather behnd the head and pushes him through the ropes and Cortez deducts a point. Hatton turns around and sticks his rear toward Floyd. Hatton coming forward with even more aggresion now, but Floyd catches hm coming in a couple of times. Crowd goes nuts when Floyd hits Ricky in the back of the head and Cortez doesn't do anything.
Kieran Mulvaney scores it: 10-8, Mayweather
Darius Ortiz scores it: 10-8, Mayweather

Pistons < Spurs
12-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Round 7

A lot of rough, tough inside stuff, as the two work in close. Mayweather's tight defense is negating some of Hatton's swarming offense. As soon as there is a gap between them, Mayweather lands some sharp punches and a good sequence of rights and lefts puntuates the round and wins it for Floyd.

Pistons < Spurs
12-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Round 8

Mayweather digging right hands to the body in close. Then a good right and a straight right that buckles Ricky's knees. Still Ricky keeps on coming. Right hand from Hatton. Again, Floyd jabs to the body. Lefts and rights from Floyd and Ricky is badly hurt. Floyd unloads in the corner, but back comes Haton, although Floyd blocks his punches.

Pistons < Spurs
12-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Round 9

Hatton lands a good left out of a clinch that catches Floyd's attention. Mayweather circling away and popping Ricky with a couole of sharp jabs. Hatton continues to swarm Mayweather, but most of the effective punches are Floyd's. Another pair of jabs snaps back Hatton's head. Another short hook from Mayweather. Left-right to the chin, and then another right from Mayweather. Floyd apears to be in a groove and Hatton is not able to disrupt it at all right now.

Tippecanoe
12-09-2007, 12:31 AM
well, all the scoring just became pointless

nkdlunch
12-09-2007, 12:35 AM
oh shit!!! knockdown?!?!

"Floyd Mayweather has just knocked out Floyd Mayweather in the 10th round. "

Pistons < Spurs
12-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Floyd Mayweather has just knocked out Floyd Mayweather in the 10th round.

LMAO!

nkdlunch
12-09-2007, 12:36 AM
hahaha

Pistons < Spurs
12-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Floyd Mayweather has just knocked out Ricky Hatton in the 10th round.

Pistons < Spurs
12-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Round 10

Boy, Hatton is tough. He just keeps on coming forward. Hge hook from Mayweather and Hatton is down! Another big hook. Lefts and rihts on the ropes, and Cortez waves it off as Hatton goes down again.

Floyd Mayweather has just knocked out Ricky Hatton in the 10th round.

nkdlunch
they fixed it, they actually had the opposite at first

whottt
Someday white guys will figure out that...speed actually does matter in boxing, as much if not moreseo than punching power, and it's a hell of a lot easier to get stronger than it is to get faster, so you'd best learn to like working on that speed, a whole lot.....

However until that day comes....

SAtoDallas
12-09-2007, 12:39 AM
I told you guys Mayweather only fights guys he knows he can beat. Let's see him call out Williams,Cotto,Margarito, or Clottey it's not gonna happen.

nkdlunch
12-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Mayweather is the best, but he did dodge margarito.

margarito is the shit!

whottt
12-09-2007, 12:45 AM
And I told you guys Hatton would get his ass kicked...I never saw Hatton fight in my life but I listened to a few interviews and it was pretty obvious he thought he was just going to be a tank and beat Mayweather...He respected Mayweather less than Mayweather respected him...regardless of Mayweather's heel act.

Mayweather is 10 times faster, plus he's bigger, and he has power when he wants too...the fact that he wins without using his power(because he's got bad hands) should scare the shit out of anyone that fights him.

whottt
12-09-2007, 12:47 AM
I told you guys Mayweather only fights guys he knows he can beat. Let's see him call out Williams,Cotto,Margarito, or Clottey it's not gonna happen.

Mayweather fought him becuase he got sick of everyone saying he couldn't knock anyone out...so he took on a guy that was undefeated, a great puncher, with a cast iron jaw and knocked his ass the fuck out. Nice way to go out Floyd...for now. His legacy is complete.

Dude has won titles at 5 different weight classes by the way...it's assinine to say he ducks fighters.

mystargtr34
12-09-2007, 12:59 AM
The difference in that fight was the reach advantage... its not white guys not knowing that speed isnt as important... its the 7 inch reach advantage. Thats why black guys dominate boxing... this is gonna come accross as racist, but its fact.. african americans on average have longer arms... and a 7 inch reach advantage in a boxing match is ridiculous... especially when the opponents are about the same height.

How can u compete on even terms when someone has that sort of advantage... congrats to Flloyd... Ricky just isnt a super welterweight...

mystargtr34
12-09-2007, 01:02 AM
I dont think the fight lived up to the hype... i think the point deduction hurt Ricky... he was forced to come forward more and attack at the expense of his defense and he got caught with a great shot... they threw the same punch... Flloyd has longer arms and Hatton got the impact first.

Floyd should have been penalised a point for all the forearms to Ricky's forehead... its the elbow that opened the cut in the second round.

Either way... Floyd was the better fighter ... im disappointed a little... i like Ricky

whottt
12-09-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm glad Floyd won...and he was the one I wanted to win.

Especially after I read some Brits booed the National Anthem...

mystargtr34
12-09-2007, 01:59 AM
Why are you a Floyd fan? Just curious.. I guess he is American at the end of the day.

Yeh there was booing during the National Anthem.

makedamnsure
12-09-2007, 02:16 AM
There's only one Ricky Hatton!
walking along, singing a song
walking in a Hatton wonderland

helsion
12-09-2007, 10:20 AM
First off, a certain one or two of you were saying that Hatton had little respect for Mayweather, what a load of .;'[]$%^.!

Hatton totally had respect, he is a very noble and honorable fighter with a sense of humor and a big heart.

Yes Mayweather knocked Hatton on his ass, but he had to work very hard to do so.

As for speed, Hatton looked just as fast as Mayweather and constantly pushed Floyd into the ropes or corner. Mayweather though had a longer reach.

Mayweather was a complete tool during all the hype to this fight, no respect was really shown, however maybe that was just for the hype itself.

I indeed respect Mayweather's abilities and the fact that he is the best pound-for-pund but Hatton is no joke.

Mayweather showed great respect after the fight and I do like him for doing that. A great champion, but Hatton will keep on fighting as he always does.

End of the day, Hatton was outclassed, but it took much effort, both fighters deserve a pint from the fans!

"watch out, Amir Khan's about"

johnsmith
12-09-2007, 10:50 AM
The fucking referee in this fight should be banned from boxing. The piece of shit didn't allow Hatton to fight the only way he could to win the match. Hatton wanted to do all his damage on the inside and that fat, bald, fuck, kept jumping in the moment they got tangled rather then ever letting them punch out of it. It was to the point where I was watching the ref more then I was watching the fighters. After about six rounds of this, it was obvious to Hatton, and everyone watching that he wasn't going to be allowed to go inside and that's when he started getting his ass kicked.

I think I'm done with boxing after that debacle.

BeerIsGood!
12-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Not suprising, but I would like to see him fight Cotto. I think he'd win the fight, but it would be interesting. Congrats Floyd, you magnificent yet cocky bastard.

2centsworth
12-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Mayweather fought him becuase he got sick of everyone saying he couldn't knock anyone out...so he took on a guy that was undefeated, a great puncher, with a cast iron jaw and knocked his ass the fuck out. Nice way to go out Floyd...for now. His legacy is complete.

Dude has won titles at 5 different weight classes by the way...it's assinine to say he ducks fighters.

Every boxing fan wants to see him in one last fight against Cotto. Win that and retire in peace. It's just one more fight and he's coming off a very impressive victory.

florige
12-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Yeah... I think that I am just going to stop making predictions all together now thank you...

LaMarcus Bryant
12-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Especially after I read some Brits booed the National Anthem...
ROFL
whottt you don't take kindly to that kinda crap

atxrocker
12-09-2007, 12:49 PM
i thought it was a good fight. i hate mayweather and joe cortez. i didn't get to see him knock floyd out but i think i really like ricky hatton now.

whottt
12-09-2007, 03:36 PM
ROFL
whottt you don't take kindly to that kinda crap

Just depends...you don't think it was about the UK VS America for Hatton and the Brit Fans?

It's just like Spurs VS Lakers...only, we're the Lakers.

whottt
12-09-2007, 03:57 PM
First off, a certain one or two of you were saying that Hatton had little respect for Mayweather, what a load of .;'[]$%^.!

Hatton totally had respect, he is a very noble and honorable fighter with a sense of humor and a big heart.

BS...Mayweather didn't think he could take umpteen hits from Hatton...Hatton thought he could from Mayweather...that's the ultimate form of disrespect. And it's why he wound up planted on his butt.

Yes Mayweather knocked Hatton on his ass, but he had to work very hard to do so.

As for speed, Hatton looked just as fast as Mayweather and constantly pushed Floyd into the ropes or corner. Mayweather though had a longer reach.

You guys are on crack...Mayweather is just about the fastest boxer in the world. That reach doesn't do anything without speed backing it up...the fact that Mayweather hits the spots he wants to hit with such accuracy is a testaement to speed.

Mayweather was a complete tool during all the hype to this fight, no respect was really shown, however maybe that was just for the hype itself.

It's called selling the fight.

I indeed respect Mayweather's abilities and the fact that he is the best pound-for-pund but Hatton is no joke.

Mayweather showed great respect after the fight and I do like him for doing that. A great champion, but Hatton will keep on fighting as he always does.

End of the day, Hatton was outclassed, but it took much effort, both fighters deserve a pint from the fans!

"watch out, Amir Khan's about"

White guys, particularly British and American white guys...have this macho and frankly stupid attitude that they can take 150 blows to the head and not get knocked out and just one of their mighty punches will be enough to fell their weaker opponents.

And don't tell me Hatton doesn't have that attitude...you can see it written all over his face.

I hardly ever see a black fighter with attitude...the Black guys generally take as much pride in not getting hit as they do in knocking someone out...sometimes more.

I've seen this fight a million times, not always a black vs white thing, I'll see some black fighters with the punchers attitude, and they also eventually run into a guy that beats the shit out of them because he's not willing to take the hits they are...but I never see a white American or Brit fighter who takes pride in not getting hit...

That's why they get their asses kicked ultimately in these fights...not a man been born that can take an indefinite pounding to the head and not ultimately get knocked unconcious from it.

And I'm a white guy, I know the attitude me and my friends had growing up...our constests were always about punching each other in the arm and seeing who could hit the hardest, and take the hardest hit...that's the same attitude Hatton and many other caucasian boxers have. And it is a form of extreme disrespect...the Black fighters aren't sitting there saying I can take 50 million shots to the head...they are saying, mofo, you can't even touch me. And I don't want to take 50 shots to the head anyway.

To quote Floyd Mayweather...I'm not out there to prove I can take a punch.

Muhammad Ali wasn't either.

And I see just about every time push comes to shove in a title bout...it's not really that way with the Russians or other Europeans...just mainly the Americans, Brits and Irish.

Stay tuned...Kelly Pavlik is going to get his ass kicked by Jermaine Taylor in that rematch...unless he becomes a whole lot faster and more accurate with his punches...not to mention does a better job of avoiding Taylor's.

Boxing, especially modern boxing with the rules and rounds and gloves, is about speed...

Sure some punchers have some success...but you have to work a lot harder to win as a puncher than as a boxer.

If a guy wants to be a dominant puncher...he needs to be as conditioned as Rocky Marciano...with that same kind of power. Every punch Marciano threw was a knockout punch, from the first till the last...so hard, that even when guys would block it with their forearms, he'd shatter the blood vessels in their arms. That's how you have to do it...that kind of power, that kind of conditioning...and to top all that off, Marciano didn't take a lot hits either.

I can tell you are probably from the UK, and I'd be willing to bet before this fighyt you didn't think there was anyway Hatton was going to get knocked out...I OTOH, knew he was...I know what the fuck of which I speak.

whottt
12-09-2007, 04:16 PM
And BTW, I don't buy into the attitude that some fighters are incapable of beating some other fighters...any fighter can be beat by any other fighter, if the fighter fights good enough. Hatton is capable of beating Mayweather...but he's not going to do it by letting Mayweather tee off on his head like it's a speedbag.

2centsworth
12-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Whottt,

You make it sound like one style of boxing is better than the other. There have been some fantastic brawlers, and maybe the best fighters ever have been brawlers. I remember when Ceasar Chavez beat the fastest guy on earth in Meldrick Taylor. How about recently when Pavlik kicked Taylor's ass.

Purple & Gold
12-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Whottt,

You make it sound like one style of boxing is better than the other. There have been some fantastic brawlers, and maybe the best fighters ever have been brawlers. I remember when Ceasar Chavez beat the fastest guy on earth in Meldrick Taylor. How about recently when Pavlik kicked Taylor's ass.

As the biggest Chavez fan in the world, I can't really say that he beat Taylor. Taylor dominated the whole fight till the very last seconds. Still one of the greatest fights/endings I have ever seen. I do prefer a real fighter over a jab and duck boxer, but I do have to admit that speed does kill.

2centsworth
12-10-2007, 01:51 AM
As the biggest Chavez fan in the world, I can't really say that he beat Taylor. Taylor dominated the whole fight till the very last seconds. Still one of the greatest fights/endings I have ever seen. I do prefer a real fighter over a jab and duck boxer, but I do have to admit that speed does kill.
I totally disagree with your assesment of the Chavez fight, but I'll agree that it wasn't the greatest example.

Purple & Gold
12-10-2007, 02:05 AM
I totally disagree with your assesment of the Chavez fight, but I'll agree that it wasn't the greatest example.

You don't think Taylor dominated that fight till he got rocked at the end? Even then it was a controversial stoppage. I remember going from deep depression to ultimate joy in a matter of seconds. The only time I really saw anybody give a prime Chavez a difficult time. And Meldrick's career was never the same after that.

zech
12-10-2007, 06:31 AM
i never watched ricky hatton before,so all the information i was getting about him were from his fans and the british media,my conclusion is that the brits always overhype their people,just look at the likes of rooney,beckham lots more,if you read the british press you'd think that these guys are like Gods in their respective sports,but if you get to see them you'd ask yourself what was all the hype about?fact is rooney is shit but has got potential,(he may not become what they think he will be,because right now there's already guys younger than him who have fulfilled their potential in the same sport)beckham just knows how to cross the ball and hit that free kick (which he misses more than he hits,compare him to juninho the lyon guy) and finally Hatton (he was not even up to the task,all his talks about winning,he even say we should bank our houses on him winning)came the fight day,he's all hype!
come on you brits,realize that you don't have enough talents and accept it,that way you can now start from the ground up:
N.B:The english national soccer (football) team was tipped by the british media that they'd win the last worldcup,well we all know what happened,they're not even going to the european championships next year.Get real you brits

BacktoBasics
12-10-2007, 09:21 AM
I don't think the brits overhype their people. They actually get behind their guys unlike Americans who take their sports hero's with a grain of salt. I really appreciated the effort of the brit fans they are what we should be.

I thought the fight was pretty good. Hatton clearly had the edge in ring generalship and Cortez flat refused to let Hatton work up close. If turning you back and lifting your shoulder up is defense then I guess Floyd did what he needed to do but I don't think he should have been breaking them up every single time so quickly. Its as if Cortez knew how to control Hattons gameplan.

In any event speed mattered on the final blow. Hatton was half way through his punch before Floyd even wound up the knock out blow. Had Hatton been able to work inside I think it would have been a tougher fight.

Great fight if you ask me, great atmosphere and Hatton controled the inside like I thought he would. Floyd got the better of him with speed in the middle of the ring with plety of help from Cortez.

The point deduction was a fucking joke.

LEONARD
12-10-2007, 12:40 PM
I tried...I really tried. I had it streaming while watching the UFC on Spike, so I watched the last 4 or 5 rds closely. I was hoping this boxing match would recapture my interest in the bigger boxing matches, but it just didn't.

I think I'm done with boxing after that debacle.

:cry

Evan
12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't think the brits overhype their people. They actually get behind their guys unlike Americans who take their sports hero's with a grain of salt.

Watch some soccer and you will change your mind on that statement.

ATRAIN
12-10-2007, 01:14 PM
This fight sucked, Mayweather was a little bitch, but he was smart in this fight. I give him props for that, but he is still a dooche!!!

2centsworth
12-10-2007, 01:29 PM
You don't think Taylor dominated that fight till he got rocked at the end? Even then it was a controversial stoppage. I remember going from deep depression to ultimate joy in a matter of seconds. The only time I really saw anybody give a prime Chavez a difficult time. And Meldrick's career was never the same after that.
He dominated the early half, but was taking some hard blows. The second half of the fight Chavez punished Taylor physically that resulted in all sorts of medical problems for Taylor after the fight. When Chavez finally knocked Taylor down, Taylor had had enough. Anymore would have resulted in death IMO.

atxrocker
12-10-2007, 03:59 PM
anyone posting saying that the fight "sucked" or was "boring" obviously either didn't watch the same fight as me or doesn't know a god damn thing about boxing.

BacktoBasics
12-10-2007, 04:05 PM
anyone posting saying that the fight "sucked" or was "boring" obviously either didn't watch the same fight as me or doesn't know a god damn thing about boxing.
I agree, I was ready for a yawner but the fight was pretty good.

cornbread
12-10-2007, 04:14 PM
That was an excellent match. My one complaint is that I still can't get "walking in a Hatton Wonderland" out of my head.

whottt
12-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Whottt,

You make it sound like one style of boxing is better than the other. There have been some fantastic brawlers, and maybe the best fighters ever have been brawlers. I remember when Ceasar Chavez beat the fastest guy on earth in Meldrick Taylor.

I definitely thing the rules in boxing, the equipment, every thing, are geared towards benefitting boxers who rely on speed over those who rely on power.

Definitely...I think in boxing, a boxer always has the advantage over a puncher.

How about recently when Pavlik kicked Taylor's ass.

Hey there are ton of exceptions...I am talking about the rule.

As for Pavlik VS Taylor...already commented on that...that fight was nearly a second round KO in Taylor's favor...

Let's wait on the rematch before passing final judgement...to make sure that wasn't just the proverbial punchers chance...

I promise you, Taylor is going to put a lot more effort into not getting hit the next time around...

BacktoBasics
12-10-2007, 05:34 PM
That was an excellent match. My one complaint is that I still can't get "walking in a Hatton Wonderland" out of my head. :lol me either. Fucking brit love any reason to sing and get drunk.

2centsworth
12-11-2007, 01:00 AM
I definitely thing the rules in boxing, the equipment, every thing, are geared towards benefitting boxers who rely on speed over those who rely on power.

Definitely...I think in boxing, a boxer always has the advantage over a puncher.

Hey there are ton of exceptions...I am talking about the rule.

As for Pavlik VS Taylor...already commented on that...that fight was nearly a second round KO in Taylor's favor...

Let's wait on the rematch before passing final judgement...to make sure that wasn't just the proverbial punchers chance...

I promise you, Taylor is going to put a lot more effort into not getting hit the next time around...

to be an exceptional fighter you need to have both skills. Best fighters of all time could box and knock people out. Ali, Hagler, Ray Robinson, etc...

whottt
12-11-2007, 03:59 AM
to be an exceptional fighter you need to have both skills. Best fighters of all time could box and knock people out. Ali, Hagler, Ray Robinson, etc...

And as Mayweather just kinda showed...you'd be suprised who those championship caliber fast defensive non-puncher guys can knock out...when they really want to do so. Capable of knocking out a guy who's fought many many fights, and never been knocked out before...

whottt
12-11-2007, 04:01 AM
I still say the rules grant the advantage to the fast defensive guys...

The powerguys have a huge disadvantage built in to the gloves alone...it blunts their power...there's nothing that blunts speed or not getting hit....in fact not getting hit is encouraged by the rules.

LEONARD
12-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Projection: 1.5 million PPV buys
Actual: 850k

BeerIsGood!
12-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Projection: 1.5 million PPV buys
Actual: 850k

Who fucking cares?

2centsworth
12-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Who fucking cares?
in some warped way leonard thinks those numbers are good for mma. that was like a 1m mma event.

LEONARD
12-21-2007, 01:08 PM
in some warped way leonard thinks those numbers are good for mma. that was like a 1m mma event.

I don't really care what the numbers are...just thought it was interesting that it fell way short of the projections...

I'm still waiting on the UFC's 2007 ppv #'s from you though... :lol

2centsworth
12-21-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't really care what the numbers are...just thought it was interesting that it fell way short of the projections...

I'm still waiting on the UFC's 2007 ppv #'s from you though... :lol
the readily made those public last year when things were good. Now all of a sudden it's real hush hush.

TheTruth
12-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Jesus, why do we go through this shit every time there's a big fight. I paid my 55 bucks, I don't give a damn what anyone else did.

LEONARD
12-21-2007, 03:38 PM
the readily made those public last year when things were good. Now all of a sudden it's real hush hush.

The Wrestling Observer is about the only outlet that ends up getting them...even last year. He has a source somewhere in the PPV industry or something...

You make it sound like Dana was announcing the buys in 2006 (ie, "the fad year")...

Evan
12-21-2007, 04:54 PM
LEONARD is correct

LEONARD
12-21-2007, 05:53 PM
LEONARD is correct

Evan is correct about me being correct...

Evan
12-21-2007, 06:56 PM
I must concur with Leonard again

Mr Dio
12-22-2007, 02:35 AM
Who do u all think Mayweather will fight in his 1st MMA fight?

dallaskd
12-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Anyone have a video of the fight?

dallaskd
12-23-2007, 04:45 PM

It all depends on who he fights and how long he trains MMA.

Evan
12-23-2007, 04:50 PM

It will never happen.