View Full Version : Third pick overall signed with Nike in May

ducks
08-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Tuesday, August 19
Third pick overall signed with Nike in May
------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com
Denver Nuggets top draft pick Carmelo Anthony joined a new team on Tuesday: Team Jordan.

The 6-foot-8 forward, who last season received the Final Four's Most Outstanding Player award after leading Syracuse to the NCAA men's basketball title in his freshman year, will wear the Jordan brand's Jumpman logo on footwear and apparel.

The 19-year old Anthony will be featured in the brand's upcoming print and television marketing campaign, which will be unveiled in October.

"Being part of Team Jordan is an honor, and I want to learn a lot from the brand as well as MJ himself," Anthony said. "I've been a Jordan fan for as long as I can remember and look forward to being a part of the brand's future."

In May, Anthony signed a six-year deal with Jordan's parent brand, Nike, worth approximately $20 million.

Unlike No. 1 overall pick LeBron James, who signed a seven-year, $90 million deal with Nike and is scheduled to have two signature shoes released before the end of the year, Nike has not announced any plans to unveil an Anthony-model shoe.

Other Jordan athletes include Tennessee Titans running back Eddie George, New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, boxer Roy Jones Jr., Sacramento Kings guard Mike Bibby and Dallas Mavericks forward Michael Finley.