PDA

View Full Version : AJ regarding Manu: "We put three guys on him...could not stop him

Man of Steel
12-06-2007, 02:29 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/120607dnspomavslede.700ccc96.html

THE SIXTH MAN
12-06-2007, 02:31 AM
:lol harsh, but deserved. If TD started to act the way Dirk does in close games I'd be pissed.

milkyway21
12-06-2007, 02:32 AM
I forgive you Manu for that foul on Dirk in 2004.

ShoogarBear
12-06-2007, 02:38 AM
And at the end, the Mavericks got the same from their MVP as the Spurs did from theirs.

Whoa.

xamila rey
12-06-2007, 02:42 AM
i am glad i am a spur fan and i dont have to read this bs from our reporters.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-06-2007, 02:45 AM
seriously

I think avery is more to blame than dirk

sheriee84
12-06-2007, 02:47 AM
OUCH!!! That was super harsh.... Even if Duncan was playing in a game and just stood there and stared into space for 30 minutes NO ONE would write something like that about him... Glad I'm not in his shoes right now...

zocool16
12-06-2007, 03:32 AM
can someone copy n paste this please

Manudona
12-06-2007, 03:35 AM
Dirk can't deliver as Dallas Mavericks fall to Spurs

12:00 AM CST on Thursday, December 6, 2007

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

SAN ANTONIO – Dirk Nowitzki has done many wondrous things for the Mavericks. But their 1-2 road trip that ended Wednesday night with a thud in San Antonio will never make it on his personal highlight reel.

For the second time in three games, Nowitzki missed a wide-open 3-pointer that could have delivered the Mavericks a comeback victory. Instead, they got what they deserved – a 97-95 loss to the San Antonio Spurs, who played without Tim Duncan.
Mavericks/NBA

Blog: Mavericks

Inside the Mavericks:
Archive | Subscribe

Spurs 97, Mavs 95

Dirk can't deliver

The world is listening, Avery

Box score | Schedule

Mavericks-Nuggets preview

NBA scoreboard

More Mavericks

He spent the evening harmlessly in street clothes because of a sprained right ankle. And at the end, the Mavericks got the same from their MVP as the Spurs did from theirs.

It's hard to pin the loss solely on Nowitzki. He wasn't responsible for Manu Ginobili going off for a season-best 37 points.

But when Jason Terry keyed a fourth-quarter rally to get the Mavericks in position to steal a win, it was Nowitzki who came up empty.

In New Orleans, he missed a 3-pointer that could have avoided overtime in a game the Mavericks went on to lose. After a solid night in the win over Chicago, Wednesday's effort at AT&T Center was forgettable.

The last shot typified things. Without Duncan, San Antonio played a smaller lineup and swarmed Nowitzki when he got the ball. Too often, the ball never got to the open man on the weak side of the floor.

"I just got to be more aggressive when it's there and swing it if it's not," Nowitzki said. "I'm just finding my way of finding when to shoot and be aggressive and when to swing it and make my teammates better. Hopefully, we as a team, and I will get better from month to month, so we'll be there at the end."

As poorly as the Mavericks played, the last play could have salvaged the entire night. Terry had 10 points in a row to lead the Mavericks back. They trailed by as much as 10 late in the fourth quarter. But Terry's three-point play with 33.8 seconds left made it 97-95.

After Bruce Bowen missed for the Spurs, Terry had a drive blocked by Francisco Elson with two seconds left.

On the final play, Nowitzki went on the baseline, got pushed out of bounds, then found himself getting lonely in the right corner. The shot clanged badly off the front of the iron.

"I kind of messed up the play," he said. "I took the wrong route, and they messed up the switching, and I was wide-open. It looked good. It was on line, just a little short. It's a shot that I got to make."

Avery Johnson ran down a long laundry list of other problems the Mavericks had against the Spurs. But Nowitzki's play clearly wasn't MVP-caliber on the trip.

"He's still climbing up the mountain right now," Johnson said. "He's seen a lot of double- and triple-teams, and when he's getting some of those looks that he normally makes, they're just not going down as consistently as in the past. But he's going to get it going, and once he gets it going, we know what he can do."

Among other problems was the pitiful defense on Ginobili, who had 16 points in the third quarter, when the Spurs outscored the Mavericks, 31-17.

"We gave him all kinds of looks," Johnson said. "We even put three guys on him and when we did that, other guys made shots. We tried to get the ball out of his hands and when we did, he made the correct pass. And when he didn't pass, he got to the line or made shots."

"But we got the ball with two seconds left and had a stone-cold wide-open 3-pointer, but it just didn't go down."

Other breakdowns were costly. At the end of the third quarter, Johnson put a good defensive player, Trenton Hassell, in the game with under five seconds left. Yet it was Hassell who got picked and allowed Ginobili to hit a 3-pointer uncontested from the top of the key.

"Those kind of little breakdowns are very disappointing," Johnson said. "Once the guys get sick and tired of having the same breakdowns over and over again, like I am, then we'll have some consistency."

And when it was over, the fact that Duncan didn't play didn't make a bit of difference.

"Teams, when they don't have their best player, they feel like they're the underdog, that it's me against the world," Johnson said. "Teams sometimes perform very well in that situation."

And sometimes, their opponents don't.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/120607dnspomavslede.700ccc96.html

jman3000
12-06-2007, 03:38 AM
Somebody tell AJ to keep it in the Ditka thread.

milkyway21
12-06-2007, 03:45 AM
-another addition to Dallas list of concerns to winning an NBA title:
playing against their closest WC rival without their best player and STILL NOT THE ANSWER either.

oooopps :oops

krinkx
12-06-2007, 09:25 AM
I forgive you Manu for that foul on Dirk in 2004.

pare... :)
2004 = fisher
2006 = foul on dirk...

just the same... manu's amazing...

dg7md
12-06-2007, 09:28 AM
That is a rough one on Dirk. Sans his play in the 06 playoffs, I like the guy, he is a classy player for the most part.

SouthernFried
12-06-2007, 09:34 AM
There's something going on in the MAV's organization. This teamwide funk shows something deeper...more organizational...more mental.

And that is something that begins and ends with Avery....well, mebbe Cuban too. Mebbe the Jason Terry thugishness is taking a toll in other aspects of the team. And who is ultimately responsible for allowing it?

Pop wouldn't.

ArgSpursFan.
12-06-2007, 09:40 AM
pare... :)
2004 = fisher

just the same... manu's amazing...

Sorry but it wasn't Manu's fault that ¨Once in a lifetime¨ shot made by Fisher in 2004 .
The 2006 foul on Dirk,yes it was a big mistake.

Hook Dem
12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
There's something going on in the MAV's organization. This teamwide funk shows something deeper...more organizational...more mental.

And that is something that begins and ends with Avery....well, mebbe Cuban too. Mebbe the Jason Terry thugishness is taking a toll in other aspects of the team. And who is ultimately responsible for allowing it?

Pop wouldn't.
BINGO!!!!!!!

Sportcamper
12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Allowing one player to score 37 points shows a total lack of defensive effort by the Mavericks & an unqualified coaching staff as well...AJ is not a game coach...He does not have the ability to adjust his strategy during the flow of the game...We are talking Manu here, Not Wilt.... :dramaquee

MarceloM!
12-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Allowing one player to score 37 points shows a total lack of defensive effort by the Mavericks & an unqualified coaching staff as well...AJ is not a game coach...He does not have the ability to adjust his strategy during the flow of the game...We are talking Manu here, Not Wilt.... :dramaquee

Its very difficult to stay over Manu with 3 boys without consecuenses.

ArgSpursFan.
12-06-2007, 10:06 AM

You sure didn't watch the game,right?

MoSpur
12-06-2007, 10:06 AM
I think that article is way too harsh. Yeah the Mavs are playing bad right now, but its early in December. In the past the Spurs would have slow starts and then pick it up in March and April and go on to play awesome in May and June. I'm not saying the same is going to happen to the Mavs, but they can pick it up and be there in the end. Its not impossible.

TwoHandJam
12-06-2007, 10:10 AM
I think what we may be seeing with the Mavs is that Johnson is losing the team a little bit. I've always thought that his personality was a little grating. If you combine that with his tenaciousness and desire to win, you can definitely alienate players over the long term. This is a man who pushed even Robinson to anger during his career in his desire to have him play more aggressively.

Now that he's been with the Mavs for a few years his act may be wearing a little thin with some of them. He's a talented coach but his demanding attitude, especially after some tough flameouts in the playoffs could be causing trouble in the locker room. The Mavs lost again after coming off a 3 game losing streak earlier. Very unusual for them.

travis2
12-06-2007, 10:12 AM
You sure didn't watch the game,right?

You gotta know how to read Jimbob...:lol

foodie2
12-06-2007, 10:13 AM

Pop wouldn't.

That's exactly my point in the "who do you hate" thread. It's Avery's fault.

41times
12-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Well for those of you who don't get to read Dallas reporters much i will fill you in on a little secret made famous in a song by Don Henley.

"We all know that Crap is King, give us Dirty Laundry"

The reporters here are either ass kissers or bashers, depending upon how you are performing that day.

I agree with the poster who said that reporters in San Antonio would not write about Timmy after a couple of bad games. But here in Dallas they are heartless, gutless and ruthless.

I agree that Dirk had a below average game. But how about all the people who tried to gaurd Manu. They ALL sucked.

And as a point of reference, the shot Dirk had against New Orleans at the buzzer was a 25 footer running leaner. That shot goes in 1 in 10 tries.

Last night's shot was open and goes in 35% of the time. So to even hint that was the reason we lost is just stupid.

The blame should start with Avery and the defensive coaching or lack there of.

This team is way out of sinc and has been most of the season except for the Spurs game in Dallas a month ago.

So don't believe half of what you read or hear because it is probably CRAP!

Solid D
12-06-2007, 10:45 AM

:lol Nice. Manu has been the Spurs leading scorer more often than not vs. the Lakers the past several years. The game the Lakers figure out how to defend Manu will be their first.

Sportcamper trying to incite Spurs and Mavs fans, I guess. AJ is an excellent game coach.

Extra Stout
12-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Yeah, it's all over for the Mavs. They're playing out of sync in all-important December. AJ must be losing the team. Jason Terry must be ripping the locker room apart. Championships are won and lost on December 5. Size the Spurs for their 2007-08 rings.

angel_luv
12-06-2007, 10:54 AM

Instead, they got what they deserved – a 97-95 loss to the San Antonio Spurs, who played without Tim Duncan.

:D

"I just got to be more aggressive when it's there and swing it if it's not," Nowitzki said. "I'm just finding my way of finding when to shoot and be aggressive and when to swing it and make my teammates better. Hopefully, we as a team, and I will get better from month to month, so we'll be there at the end

Just now, Dirk?

SpurOutofTownFan
12-06-2007, 11:03 AM

You are crazy. They tried absolutely everything on Manu. AJ made changes, it just didn't work for them. Manu was mentally stronger than anyone else on the court.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-06-2007, 11:05 AM
I think what we may be seeing with the Mavs is that Johnson is losing the team a little bit. I've always thought that his personality was a little grating. If you combine that with his tenaciousness and desire to win, you can definitely alienate players over the long term. This is a man who pushed even Robinson to anger during his career in his desire to have him play more aggressively.

Now that he's been with the Mavs for a few years his act may be wearing a little thin with some of them. He's a talented coach but his demanding attitude, especially after some tough flameouts in the playoffs could be causing trouble in the locker room. The Mavs lost again after coming off a 3 game losing streak earlier. Very unusual for them.

I tend to agree with this. They knew, especially AJ, that the spurs usually come strong in the 3rd quarter. Also, he doesn't appear to know when to stop pushing his players. I can imagine some of them are frustrated with this. I think this is a key difference with Pop. Pops puts a lot of pressure, the "proper fear" mentality but gives breathing room as well. And if you really suck then he benches you forever like with Beno.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-06-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:

"I just got to be more aggressive when it's there and swing it if it's not," Nowitzki said. "I'm just finding my way of finding when to shoot and be aggressive and when to swing it and make my teammates better. Hopefully, we as a team, and I will get better from month to month, so we'll be there at the end

Just now, Dirk?

Yeah, I thought the same, I would expect a rookie talking like that, but not an established guy. That's an excuse. It's sad as he has class, we all know that.

Sportcamper
12-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Solid D- I would save the braggadocio until after next week...The Spurs will have to face The Lakers Big Three...Mihm, Kwame & Bynum.... :tu

travis2
12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Solid D- I would save the braggadocio until after next week...The Spurs will have to face The Lakers Big Three...Mihm, Kwame & Bynum.... :tu
:lmao:lmao

MaNuMaNiAc
12-06-2007, 11:43 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Best. Joke. EVER!

T Park
12-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I think what we may be seeing with the Mavs is that Johnson is losing the team a little bit. I've always thought that his personality was a little grating. If you combine that with his tenaciousness and desire to win, you can definitely alienate players over the long term. This is a man who pushed even Robinson to anger during his career in his desire to have him play more aggressively

The exact same thing I said on the ride home last night.

Solid D
12-06-2007, 01:06 PM
:lol good one, Sportcamper. The "Secret of Mihm" will be revealed and unleashed!!!

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/988/40700988.jpg

FromWayDowntown
12-06-2007, 02:20 PM
If AJ was going to send 3 guys at Manu last night, maybe he should have tried Salvatore, Wood, and Richardson.

Solid D
12-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Actually, what I think AJ is talking about when he said he sent 3 at Manu is, when Manu worked off the high screen/rolls, both defenders went with Manu and a third weakside (usually corner) defender trailed the play in case Manu switched directions...as he often does. This created a 3-man fan across the lane. When the Mavs did that, Manu found the open guy and there were usually 2 if the spacing was good. The Spurs (including Jacque Vaughn) knocked down their shots, which killed that strategy by Dallas.

jack0fspeed
12-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I think Avery is kidding himself. He needed to blitz the P&R a lot earlier than the last 2 minutes of that game. Once they did that and stuck with Finley in the corner, that's when the Mavs started getting some stops.

If I'm Avery, I'm giving Bowen all the corner threes he wants last night. And if Parker wants to take 20 footers he can have those too. He did hit a couple, but I'd rather those than the layups and the "and-1s" that the P&Rs were producing.

FromWayDowntown
12-06-2007, 03:47 PM
He did hit a couple, but I'd rather those than the layups and the "and-1s" that the P&Rs were producing.

We must have seen different games -- the Spurs had exactly 1 "and 1" last night and that came at 1:55 in the first quarter on a Ginobili layup.

I don't disagree, though, with the notion that AJ might have been better served by blitzing Manu everytime he came off a screen and conceding the look to Bowen in the corner.

LilMissSPURfect
12-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Somebody tell AJ to keep it in the Ditka thread.

:smokin :smokin

ShoogarBear
12-06-2007, 09:29 PM

Now that he's been with the Mavs for a few years his act may be wearing a little thin with some of them. He's a talented coach but his demanding attitude, especially after some tough flameouts in the playoffs could be causing trouble in the locker room. The Mavs lost again after coming off a 3 game losing streak earlier. Very unusual for them.I could maybe agree with this except AJ has shown an exceptional willingness to adapt what he does from year to year. He is trying this year to a lot more things differently, both Xs/Os and tempermentally, than last year. If anything, maybe he's trying to change things too much. And I don't see why his personality is any more grating than Pops.

Compare him to Mike D'Antoni, who is stupidly stubborn to a fault.

exstatic
12-07-2007, 12:04 AM
If AJ was going to send 3 guys at Manu last night, maybe he should have tried Salvatore, Wood, and Richardson.
He did. At one point in the 4th Q, it was like 14 Dallas FTs to 2 for SA. :lol

ehz33satx
12-07-2007, 12:21 AM

Just now, Dirk?

Hey I was thinking the same thing when I read this. What a mentally fragile man Dirk has become. It's sad.