View Full Version : Daily Dime: 12/6

jman3000
12-06-2007, 04:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-071206

Why Dirk Needs To Shoot More
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)
SAN ANTONIO -- After giving the home team what he and Tim Duncan normally supply offensively, Manu Ginobili felt helpless when the ball found Dirk Nowitzki in the corner.

"I was holding my breath," Ginobili said. "Definitely."

As for the Dallas perspective …

"I was running back to the locker room," Jason Terry said. "I bet nine times out of 10 he's going to make that shot."

The reaction on both sides of the biggest rivalry in Texas was grand surprise Wednesday night. Nowitzki was presented with a great look on a game-winning triple at the buzzer and somehow managed to leave it short, preserving a gutsy (and chippy) 97-95 victory for the home team at the AT&T Center, with Duncan watching it all in a blazer and jeans.

Truth is, though, that there were bigger surprises in this one. Much bigger.

Exhibit A: Nowitzki had only 11 field-goal attempts and just four in the fourth quarter, or one less than Mavs newcomer Brandon Bass.

Exhibit B: Mavs coach Avery Johnson volunteered almost immediately in his post-game remarks that Nowitzki was the second option on the play, behind Josh Howard.

Wait a second.

Second option?

Nowitzki's sluggish start has consumed almost one-fourth of the season and finds him connecting on just 27.3 percent of his 3-point attempts, which doesn't seem possible for a shooter of his pedigree, someone who just posted three straight seasons in the .400 Club from deep. So current form tells us that the miss wasn't all that surprising, especially since Nowitzki missed a similar 3 at the end of regulation that could have beaten New Orleans as recently as Saturday night.

The reigning MVP can't duck blame here. Since his first-round nightmare against Golden State, Nowitzki is seeing more double-teams and traps from the baseline and swarms from smaller defenders. But he's been too passive at times in response. And he knows it.

"I'm still trying to figure it out," he said.

However …

As a frequent Mavs observer, I'd say it's time for Johnson to rethink his equal-opportunity offense and start giving Nowitzki more touches. Keep trying to hold his minutes down, yes, but ask him to be even more involved than usual when he's out there. One obvious way to help Nowitzki shake this malaise is to force feed him out of it by calling more plays for him.

Calling the game's biggest play for Nowitzki, at the very least, would be a good start.

"He's still climbing up the mountain right now," Johnson said. "He's going to get it going. And once he gets it going, we know what he can do."

History says so, too. It's difficult to envision Nowitzki's percentage on 3s staying anywhere close to where it's been, since he's only the sweetest shooting 7-footer of all-time.

But it's worth noting that this wasn't the first time in the Mavs' 19 games that Bass -- a fantastic free-agent find, don't get me wrong, who supplied 18 points and six boards in 26 productive minutes here -- has been featured for a spell in the fourth quarter. Which should be Nowitzki Time.

You wouldn't have been thrown by anything San Antonio did without Duncan in moving to 16-3. Long before he set up Nowitzki's chance to be the hero with 10 straight points in the final 2:23, Jason Terry felled Tony Parker and Ginobili with hard fouls that enraged the hosts. But Ginobili typically responds to rough stuff better than anyone and did so again, throwing down a memorable dunk in traffic halfway through the third quarter and capping that 16-point period with an uncontested 3 that enraged Johnson. Relinquishing his sixth-man role to start in Duncan's place, Ginobili was so hot in a 23-point second half that the Mavs (12-7) actually ran three defenders at him at one stage, making you wonder how Ginobili was ever a candidate to join Duncan in street clothes because of a sprained finger on his shooting hand.

Yet it's a borderline shocker to hear that Nowitzki -- going for the tie or the win on an inbounds play against their biggest rivals -- was Johnson's second choice. As a matter of confidence, if nothing else.

Isn't it?

"It's a shot that [I've] got to make," Nowitzki said, rapping only himself for botching the finish after he unexpectedly got himself open in the corner by running "the wrong route."

"Hopefully we as a team and I get better from month to month and we'll be there at the end."

jman3000
12-06-2007, 04:38 AM
9x outta 10 eh? just like he missed that 3 against NewOrleans? You should have made that 8/10.

1Parker1
12-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Is this any different than the Spurs? Isn't Ginobili/Parker sometimes for the "first option" on the end play with Duncan 2nd? I've recalled plenty of games where Pop's strategy was, Give the ball to Ginobili, let him create his own shot/get to the line, or if nothing's there, pick and roll with Duncan....

ShoogarBear
12-06-2007, 08:00 AM
It sounds like AJ is trying to take pressure off Dirk by making him less of The Man. If I'm Mav Fan, I'm not sure that's really the path to success.