PDA

View Full Version : Dallas: Not the same team

tmtcsc
12-06-2007, 09:12 AM
First off, I've been a fan long enough to realize that tonight's game was nothing more than just an entertaining, kick ass performance. As far as statement wins, etc, it really meant nothing. We showed some fight and Tony showed up and we got a close win.

If we match up with Dallas in the playoffs, both teams will most likely be healthy and we will have our traditional starting line ups. So, tonight didn't tell us much, IMO.

However, I think Dallas is playing very uncharacteristic basketball right now. Dirk was floating around and looked disinterested and the Mavs seemed a little lost. Have they decided not to put too much emphasis on the regular season ? Maybe. But I recall feeling the same way after watching the Spurs play the Pistons last year.

The Pistons didn't play the same. They lacked defensive intensity and focus and gave a ho-hum effort. They never did turn it around and got embarassed by Cleveland. --- Who we all know was terrible.

It will be interesting to see which Dallas team shows up for the playoffs and how the rest of the regular season plays out.

Oh yeah, Manu is awesome. "Hey, don't touch me, don't touch me !" No one can touch that dude.

stretch
12-06-2007, 09:18 AM
First off, I've been a fan long enough to realize that tonight's game was nothing more than just an entertaining, kick ass performance. As far as statement wins, etc, it really meant nothing. We showed some fight and Tony showed up and we got a close win.

If we match up with Dallas in the playoffs, both teams will most likely be healthy and we will have our traditional starting line ups. So, tonight didn't tell us much, IMO.

However, I think Dallas is playing very uncharacteristic basketball right now. Dirk was floating around and looked disinterested and the Mavs seemed a little lost. Have they decided not to put too much emphasis on the regular season ? Maybe. But I recall feeling the same way after watching the Spurs play the Pistons last year.

The Pistons didn't play the same. They lacked defensive intensity and focus and gave a ho-hum effort. They never did turn it around and got embarassed by Cleveland. --- Who we all know was terrible.

It will be interesting to see which Dallas team shows up for the playoffs and how the rest of the regular season plays out.

Oh yeah, Manu is awesome. "Hey, don't touch me, don't touch me !" No one can touch that dude.

I don't know. The entire team has looked very UNINTERESTED in pretty much every game this year. I know they are capable of being a hell of a lot better than this, but they don't seem to care much. There isn't much movement, people are missing shots they normally make, and taking shots they don't normally take, and just are not playing like they normally do. I really hope that they turn it on later this year...

ArgSpursFan.
12-06-2007, 09:20 AM
I don't know. The entire team has looked very disinterested in pretty much every game this year. I know they are capable of being a hell of a lot better than this, but they don't seem to care much. There isn't much movement, people are missing shots they normally make, and taking shots they don't normally take, and just are not playing like they normally do. I really hope that they turn it on later this year...

hey,what's up Mav fan.
What were you saying about Manu not being as good as the top SGs in the league the other day???
you've got GINOBILIED last night, don't never forget that.
BTW,your team was shooting 56% from the field and making every single shot from the 3 pt line last night till Ginobili took over the game.
They didn't play bad,Manu just played better,that's all.

tmtcsc
12-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Well, I know for sure Dallas can play differently. They didn't seem to miss a shot against us in game 1 this year. I have only been really dissapointed in 1 game from the Spurs this year and that was the first Dallas game. Tony has been great all season but he didn't show up for that one.

Shank
12-06-2007, 09:27 AM
I don't get it. If they really are supposed to be one of the better teams this season, then at least show us a few glimpses. We're all supposed to believe they're going to eventually turn it on come late in the season? To keep the guys fresh, wouldn't Avery treat maybe one quarter of a game like it was a playoff matchup and go balls out? Instead, they sleepwalk through every game - easy games, games they should be winning - and we're told it's a "work in progress" and that they're waiting until later to get things meshed.

Hassell hasn't done anything. Jones can't get off the injury list. Same with Devean George. Dirk isn't the same. Harris is still learning out there, but Avery has thrust Terry back into his old position and that's not helping Devin. Howard's the only one doing anything worth a damn and is probably the best player on the team right now.

I'm saying I just don't know if I can fully buy into the "turn it on later in the season" thing if I don't see the parts capable of doing so.

SenorSpur
12-06-2007, 09:58 AM
It's almost like they're struggling to find an identity. They do not have an on-court leader. Just a bunch of guys on the court trying to score when it's their turn.

AJ is partially at fault here too because he continues to "screw around" with various lineups. First he claimed he was going to "ease up" during the regular season and not press quite as hard. However, next he says his goal is to "win every game each time out".

It clear the defensive intensity is not the same. The Mavs don't seem to know who they are. Perhaps they're still having playoff hangover.

Personally, I'm glad to see it. I hope it lasts all season and they get bounced in the first round again.

MoSpur
12-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Let's not forget how well they played against the Spurs in the first matchup. They outworked the Spurs and hustled. Last night was not the same team and it probably is because of the fact Duncan was out. I don't know, but I know that the Mavs will get it together.

Jimcs50
12-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Wish I could say the same thing about the Suns. They look like they mean business and are on a mission, a mission to win it all and beat our Spurs in the process. Amare is looking very strong and Nash is Nash, and Hill is a huge addition. I think it will be us against them in the WCFs because Dallas will lose to one or the other in the WC semis.

ArgSpursFan.
12-06-2007, 10:03 AM
let's not forget they played the difending world champions last night.
I really think they played really good for the first 2 quarters and a half,just untill the tropical Storm ¨Manu¨hited them real hard.

41times
12-06-2007, 10:05 AM
This Mavs team does not have the ability to turn it off and on, IMO. So they better turn it on now and leave it on for the rest of the year or this is going to be another 1st round exit from the playoffs.

Last night's effort was poor and the Spurs effort was fantastic.

Manu is def the MAN.

It is a long season and i am not panicking as a Mavs fan but i can def feel the proverbial window for this team beginning to close.....

101A
12-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Wish I could say the same thing about the Suns. They look like they mean business and are on a mission, a mission to win it all and beat our Spurs in the process. Amare is looking very strong and Nash is Nash, and Hill is a huge addition. I think it will be us against them in the WCFs because Dallas will lose to one or the other in the WC semis.You mean like the Mavericks last year, or the Pistons the year before?

stretch
12-06-2007, 10:19 AM
hey,what's up Mav fan.
What were you saying about Manu not being as good as the top SGs in the league the other day???
you've got GINOBILIED last night, don't never forget that.
BTW,your team was shooting 56% from the field and making every single shot from the 3 pt line last night till Ginobili took over the game.
They didn't play bad,Manu just played better,that's all.
One good game does not put you in a class with Lebron and Kobe. If he can average over 30/5/5 for an entire season then we can talk.

But yea, he played a very good game. And Dallas played a terrible game by their standards.

m33p0
12-06-2007, 10:23 AM
i think their lackluster performances could be traced in their shift in focus(from dirk to howard), trying to copy the spurs way. whereas duncan can still be dominating even without being great, dirk needs to shoot to be effective. or it could be that they've settled into the same mentality that the pistons have been in the past few years. they know they're good enough to win, but knowing and doing are two different things.

Jimcs50
12-06-2007, 10:25 AM
You mean like the Mavericks last year, or the Pistons the year before?

shhhhh!!!

SenorSpur
12-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Looks like Pop borrowed a page out of the Don Nelson handbook. He discovered that he could swarm Dirk much like every other team (since Golden State) has been doing since their playoff meltdown. If you have enough good, quick defenders on the court, you can force Dirk to give up the ball. Make the other guys beat you.

Extra Stout
12-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Wish I could say the same thing about the Suns. They look like they mean business and are on a mission, a mission to win it all and beat our Spurs in the process. Amare is looking very strong and Nash is Nash, and Hill is a huge addition. I think it will be us against them in the WCFs because Dallas will lose to one or the other in the WC semis.
I remember that year the Suns started 31-4. They sure whipped the Spurs in the playoffs that year, didn't they?

Extra Stout
12-06-2007, 10:44 AM
For Dallas to be out of sync in December is not the end of the world for them.

polandprzem
12-06-2007, 10:47 AM
well the spurs were not the same as usual last year but they finished well

so you know

1Parker1
12-06-2007, 10:47 AM
If Dirk's not making his shots, he's not doing much of anything else...same with Jason Terry, Stackhouse, and Devin Harris. Only guys who are still effective are Howard and Bass!

Whereas for the Spurs, if Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili have an off night offensively, they are still able to affect the game in other areas. Dallas needs more players like that in order to get over their mental deficiencies. They tend to give up in all other areas of the game if their shots aren't falling. You saw that against GS last season and this season as well. They need more all around players, not one dimensional ones. And it doesn't help that they have no real leader and that Avery keeps changing their lineups and his "team philosophy"

MoSpur
12-06-2007, 10:58 AM
One good game does not put you in a class with Lebron and Kobe. If he can average over 30/5/5 for an entire season then we can talk.

But yea, he played a very good game. And Dallas played a terrible game by their standards.

I agree that one good game doesn't him put him in the same class as those two you mentioned. However, Manu does have the same number of rings as Kobe.

Manu averages less than 30 minutes a game and averages 20 points a game. Kobe averages 36 minutes a game and 27 points a game. LeBron averages 39 minutes a game and 30 points a game. Kobe and LeBron are their teams franchise player. Manu is a role player. Manu plays on a team with a guy named Tony Parker and Tim Duncan while LeBron plays with Gooden and Boobie and Kobe plays with Fisher and Odom.

Manu does have to carry his team like the two you mentioned do. I think if he had to, you'd see more games you like you witnessed last night. Not saying he'd be exactly like Kobe or LeBron, but you'd hear more of him.

To top that off, Manu has more heart than those two guys combined. I'll take that.

SpursFanFirst
12-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't get it. If they really are supposed to be one of the better teams this season, then at least show us a few glimpses. We're all supposed to believe they're going to eventually turn it on come late in the season? To keep the guys fresh, wouldn't Avery treat maybe one quarter of a game like it was a playoff matchup and go balls out? Instead, they sleepwalk through every game - easy games, games they should be winning - and we're told it's a "work in progress" and that they're waiting until later to get things meshed.

Hassell hasn't done anything. Jones can't get off the injury list. Same with Devean George. Dirk isn't the same. Harris is still learning out there, but Avery has thrust Terry back into his old position and that's not helping Devin. Howard's the only one doing anything worth a damn and is probably the best player on the team right now.

I'm saying I just don't know if I can fully buy into the "turn it on later in the season" thing if I don't see the parts capable of doing so.

I agree. Everyone seems so sure that this line of thinking is going to work for Dallas because it's what the Spurs do.
But this actually works for the Spurs, and we've seen that time and again.
For Dallas, we don't know what the outcome will be, so I guess I'll wait and see what happens after ASB.
I do have my doubts though.

Budkin
12-06-2007, 11:07 AM

The Suns can't play D, the Spurs play awesome D. We win.

beirmeistr
12-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Looks like Pop borrowed a page out of the Don Nelson handbook. He discovered that he could swarm Dirk much like every other team (since Golden State) has been doing since their playoff meltdown. If you have enough good, quick defenders on the court, you can force Dirk to give up the ball. Make the other guys beat you.

Excellent point.

clambake
12-06-2007, 11:11 AM
dirk seems to be playing with the fear of failure.

SpursFanFirst
12-06-2007, 11:11 AM

:lol Outside of last night's game, have you not been watching Manu? He's been outstanding!
He may not be putting up Kobe/LeBron numbers each and every night, but he doesn't HAVE to....that's the difference between the Spurs and Lakers/Cavs.

stretch
12-06-2007, 11:13 AM
If Dirk's not making his shots, he's not doing much of anything else...same with Jason Terry, Stackhouse, and Devin Harris. Only guys who are still effective are Howard and Bass!

Whereas for the Spurs, if Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili have an off night offensively, they are still able to affect the game in other areas. Dallas needs more players like that in order to get over their mental deficiencies. They tend to give up in all other areas of the game if their shots aren't falling. You saw that against GS last season and this season as well. They need more all around players, not one dimensional ones. And it doesn't help that they have no real leader and that Avery keeps changing their lineups and his "team philosophy"

If Parker isn't making shots, hes pretty useless too. See earlier Dallas game this year.

stretch
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I agree that one good game doesn't him put him in the same class as those two you mentioned. However, Manu does have the same number of rings as Kobe.

Robert Horry has more rings than Jordan, but that obviously doesn't mean a thing.

Manu averages less than 30 minutes a game and averages 20 points a game. Kobe averages 36 minutes a game and 27 points a game. LeBron averages 39 minutes a game and 30 points a game. Kobe and LeBron are their teams franchise player. Manu is a role player. Manu plays on a team with a guy named Tony Parker and Tim Duncan while LeBron plays with Gooden and Boobie and Kobe plays with Fisher and Odom.

Manu does have to carry his team like the two you mentioned do. I think if he had to, you'd see more games you like you witnessed last night. Not saying he'd be exactly like Kobe or LeBron, but you'd hear more of him.

To top that off, Manu has more heart than those two guys combined. I'll take that.

Kobe and Lebron also have to distribute the scoring load when playing, and don't have any reliable second options. Manu is sent out there with the sole purpose to score, and he has other reliable options to help take pressure off of him.

Manu does not have to carry his team anywhere CLOSE to the way that Lebron and Kobe does. And there is no way in hell that Manu could even dream of doing what Lebron singlehandedly did to the Pistons in game 5 of last year. Lebron can singlehandedly win an entire game from start to finish. Manu absolutely can not. I'd say Lebron has plenty of heart. It's just not as easy to perform when you don't have other people on your team giving you a consistent effort, the way Manu's teammates do. Replace Manu with Lebron on the Spurs, and the Spurs are probably the greatest team of all time. Replace Lebron with Manu on the Cavs, and there is no way in hell they make it to the finals.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-06-2007, 11:21 AM

Dude, he's not required to. Plain and simple. I would recommend you to look at his career when he was playing for other teams and had to do most of the scoring. Look at Tim Duncan, do you have any doubts in your mind that if he had to do most of the scoring as Kobe or Lebron have, he wouldn't bring you 30/15/5 each game? He would for sure but that's not the plan. He puts getting rings as a priority. I bring the AI example again: does it matter if you score 50 and 60 points per game and not being able to get a ring and lose games? That's why I don't watch him play regardless of his scoring abilities.

1Parker1
12-06-2007, 11:24 AM
If Parker isn't making shots, hes pretty useless too. See earlier Dallas game this year.

You are pointing out one game, I pointed out an entire playoff series and several games this season in which certain key Mavs players proved time and again that if they arent scoring, they arent doing much of anything else. Parker has had plenty of games where he hasn't shot the ball well, but still ran the Spurs offense good, handed out assists, and still knocked down an important shot or two in the 4th. Outside of Howard, the Mavs dont have all around guys. What exactly does Dirk, Terry, Stackhouse do for the Mavs if their shots aren't falling?

SpurOutofTownFan
12-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Manu does not have to carry his team anywhere CLOSE to the way that Lebron and Kobe does. And there is no way in hell that Manu could even dream of doing what Lebron singlehandedly did to the Pistons in game 5 of last year. Lebron can singlehandedly win an entire game from start to finish. Manu absolutely can not. I'd say Lebron has plenty of heart. It's just not as easy to perform when you don't have other people on your team giving you a consistent effort, the way Manu's teammates do. Replace Manu with Lebron on the Spurs, and the Spurs are probably the greatest team of all time. Replace Lebron with Manu on the Cavs, and there is no way in hell they make it to the finals.

Wrong again. Manu singlehandlely won the game last night or he was very close. Manu has singlehandlely won games for the spurs many times in playoffs, he did it against the nuggests, against the suns just to mention some examples. I understand if you don't watch Spurs games so much. I can give you that.

PS. He has singlehandlely won an olympics final or close to it (watch the game)

mavsluva
12-06-2007, 11:26 AM
I have to admit that I enjoying the Mavs struggles. I'm a firm believer in that everything happens for a reason and it's now happening to Mr. Cuban. While he is a very smart guy, his arrogance is now coming back to haunt both him as a person and the team that he owns. Maybe Mark will be humbled in the years to come so that his team can have another shot at being great.

On a different note - I watch the Mavs because I enjoy the game of basketball. Should they win the title this year, well then great. If not, well then that's cool, too. Mark Cuban and the Mavs are not paying my bills or sleeping in my bed so I'll not allow them to dictate my time and my emotions. Because at the end of the day, it's just a game. And I have no control over the outcome.

Congrats to the Spurs and best of luck to both teams for the remainder of the season!

MoSpur
12-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Robert Horry has more rings than Jordan, but that obviously doesn't mean a thing.

Kobe and Lebron also have to distribute the scoring load when playing, and don't have any reliable second options. Manu is sent out there with the sole purpose to score, and he has other reliable options to help take pressure off of him.

You obviously haven't followed Manu's NBA career and Olympic career. He led his team to a Gold medal. He helped the Spurs win three championships. He has taken over games a lot in his career with the Spurs. To say Manu cannot win a game singlehandedly is correct. Neither can LeBron. It takes a team to win. However, I see what you're trying to say. I saw that game where LeBron led his team to a win over the Pistons last year. It was amazing. I was in awe.

At the same time, I just saw Manu do the same thing to your Mavs last night except it wasn't the playoffs. Ask Suns and Nuggets fans if Manu can lead the Spurs to a win in the playoffs and you'll have your answer.

Manu is not on the same level as Kobe and LeBron. He doesn't need to be. However, Manu can be on that same level if needed like he showed you last night.

stretch
12-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Wrong again. Manu singlehandlely won the game last night or he was very close. Manu has singlehandlely won games for the spurs many times in playoffs, he did it against the nuggests, against the suns just to mention some examples. I understand if you don't watch Spurs games so much. I can give you that.

PS. He has singlehandlely won an olympics final or close to it (watch the game)
Did Manu have to score basically every single point in the 4th quarter and score EVERY point in OT? No. Not even close. Lebron's team is so crappy that he HAS to score in times like those, which is even harder because then they can double and triple team him much more easily when they don't have to worry about anyone else being able to contribute. Manu still had guys like Duncan, Parker, Barry, Finley, Bowen, all of whom you still have to keep an eye out every time that they get an open shot (especially the latter 3 when they get open on the perimeter). Who do you have to pay attention to on the Cavs? Larry Hughes? Sasha Pavlocic? Drew Gooden? LOL. There is NO ONE on the Cavs that people actually FEAR taking shots aside from Lebron. He finally has someone that hits them in Daniel Gibson, but thats about all he does, and that doesn't nearly equate to what Manu has around him.

stretch
12-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Dude, he's not required to. Plain and simple. I would recommend you to look at his career when he was playing for other teams and had to do most of the scoring. Look at Tim Duncan, do you have any doubts in your mind that if he had to do most of the scoring as Kobe or Lebron have, he wouldn't bring you 30/15/5 each game? He would for sure but that's not the plan. He puts getting rings as a priority. I bring the AI example again: does it matter if you score 50 and 60 points per game and not being able to get a ring and lose games? That's why I don't watch him play regardless of his scoring abilities.
Manu and Tim have also had teams that ALLOWED them to not have to carry their teams in every aspect of the game. Tim has guys that he can rely on to take heat off of him, like Manu, Parker, Bowen, etc...

Who does Kobe and Lebron have that consistently takes heat off of them? No one. Their teams are not even CLOSE in terms of the talent surrounding their superstars compared to the Spurs. You can't fault them for doing everything they can to win as many games as possible, which means they have to score 50 on a consistent basis. Blame their role players and FO for not helping them out.

stretch
12-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Ask Suns and Nuggets fans if Manu can lead the Spurs to a win in the playoffs and you'll have your answer.

Yea, he can lead the SPURS to playoff victories... not the CAVS or the LAKERS. Major difference when you have Tim Duncan and Tony Parker in comparison to guys like Drew Gooden or Kwame Brown.

Lebron has singlehandedly won playoff SERIES as well. Thats a major difference from a GAME as well.

Sec24Row7
12-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Yea, he can lead the SPURS to playoff victories... not the CAVS or the LAKERS. Major difference when you have Tim Duncan and Tony Parker in comparison to guys like Drew Gooden or Kwame Brown.

Lebron has singlehandedly won playoff SERIES as well. Thats a major difference from a GAME as well.

ROFL...

What makes you think a Maverick fan's opinion about what it takes to win in the playoffs has any significance?

Manu has taken over and won more big playoff games than any person playing in the NBA outside of 4 guys named Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, Shaq, and Tim Duncan.

stretch
12-06-2007, 12:05 PM
ROFL...

What makes you think a Maverick fan's opinion about what it takes to win in the playoffs has any significance?
:wtf

Being a Mavs fan has nothing to do with this discussion whatsoever.

LEONARD
12-06-2007, 12:57 PM
How did we get beat handily by the Mavs in Nov?? :dizzy

thispego
12-06-2007, 01:13 PM

Kobe is to Manu as Jordan is to Horry? :rolleyes :lmao :lmao :rolleyes

ok ok, manu has as many rings as kobe with one team, better? :rolleyes

Man of Steel
12-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Hate to be a pain in the ass about this...

But...

Here goes.

The word is not "disinterested."

To say someone is disinterested means that the person in unbiased, objective, etc.

This differs from "uninterested." I think this is what you mean.

The Mavs appear "uninterested."

BeerIsGood!
12-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I see Jimmy the Dentist is starting the mojo early this year.

stretch
12-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Kobe is to Manu as Jordan is to Horry? :rolleyes :lmao :lmao :rolleyes

ok ok, manu has as many rings as kobe with one team, better? :rolleyes
My point was that rings dont necessarily equate to someone being a better individual player than another either.

stretch
12-06-2007, 01:36 PM

But...

Here goes.

To say someone is disinterested means that the person in unbiased, objective, etc.

My apologies. I will use the term "uninterested" from now on.

tmtcsc
12-06-2007, 02:15 PM

But...

Here goes.

You're not being a pain but you are fighting the wrong fight. Disinterested also means without passion.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
dis·in·ter·est·ed /dɪsˈɪntəˌrɛstɪd, -trɪstɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dis-in-tuh-res-tid, -tri-stid] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. unbiased by personal interest or advantage; not influenced by selfish motives: a disinterested decision by the referee.
2. not interested; indifferent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1605–15; dis-1 + interested]

—Related forms
dis·in·ter·est·ed·ly, adverb
dis·in·ter·est·ed·ness, noun

—Synonyms 1. impartial, neutral, unprejudiced, dispassionate. See fair1.
—Antonyms 1. partial, biased.
—Usage note Disinterested and uninterested share a confused and confusing history. Disinterested was originally used to mean “not interested, indifferent”; uninterested in its earliest use meant “impartial.” By various developmental twists, disinterested is now used in both senses. Uninterested is used mainly in the sense “not interested, indifferent.” It is occasionally used to mean “not having a personal or property interest.”
Many object to the use of disinterested to mean “not interested, indifferent.” They insist that disinterested can mean only “impartial”: A disinterested observer is the best judge of behavior. However, both senses are well established in all varieties of English, and the sense intended is almost always clear from the context.

Jimcs50
12-06-2007, 07:23 PM
I remember that year the Suns started 31-4. They sure whipped the Spurs in the playoffs that year, didn't they?

Where did I say that the Suns were going to whip us in the playoffs??????

You are like a girl, whereas one can not say anything good or positive about another girl or team without taking it as a knock to you or your team.

:rolleyes

BonnerDynasty
12-06-2007, 07:36 PM

lmfao.

Ginobili does something important every game. He comes up with big plays on def/offense all the time. Without Ginobili, Spurs wouldn't even have 10 wins yet.