PDA

View Full Version : The best statement - Terry

SpurOutofTownFan
12-06-2007, 11:09 AM
"They're still a good team without Duncan,'' said Jason Terry, who had 20 points for the Mavericks. "They have good solid veterans, and give credit to Ginobili. ... He was the hot man, and everything we threw at him he took advantage of.''

Yes, you guys did throw a lot of things to him.

http://www.nba.com/games/20071205/DALSAS/recap.html

sa_butta
12-06-2007, 11:15 AM
"They're still a good team without Duncan,'' said Jason Terry, who had 20 points for the Mavericks. "They have good solid veterans, and give credit to Ginobili. ... He was the hot man, and everything we threw at him he took advantage of.''

Yes, you guys did throw a lot of things to him.

http://www.nba.com/games/20071205/DALSAS/recap.htmlElbows, shoulders...:ihit

MoSpur
12-06-2007, 11:24 AM
He was the hot man, and everything we threw at him he took advantage of.''

Literally.

SenorSpur
12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Elbows, shoulders...:ihit

...knees, fingers, hands across the faces of Ginobili - you name it.

LB7
12-06-2007, 11:26 AM
I need an objective Spurs fan opinion. When Tony Parker got the clear path foul: did you really think it was a hard enough foul to send Parker sprawling and rolling around and then acting like he was injured only to get up and be fine? And then Brent Barry to come over and shove Terry away when he was checking on him? To me, and yes I'm a Mavs fan but I can be objective, it looked like Parker smartly went more into Terry to initiate contact, which he should. Then of course Terry makes contact and Parker goes sprawling like Terry took a cheap shot. I thought Parker did what he should do to get the foul on a breakaway. However, I did not think it was a clear path because Terry appeared to be ahead of him. But, was it really necessary for the drama of pretending to be injured? Thats all I'm asking. I thought there was rough play on both sides. Manu threw a good elbow on the play when he got the "shooting foul" and the technical foul. It was happening both ways. Please, let someone objective answer.

angel_luv
12-06-2007, 11:26 AM
...knees, fingers, hands across the faces of Ginobili - you name it.

True that.

m33p0
12-06-2007, 11:27 AM
... including the kitchen sink. :dizzy

maxpower
12-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I need an objective Spurs fan opinion. It was happening both ways. Please, let someone objective answer.

RE: Terry,
He has history on his side.
As a Spurs fan, he will get no benefit of the doubt from me.

LB7
12-06-2007, 11:31 AM
RE: Terry,
He has history on his side.
As a Spurs fan, he will get no benefit of the doubt from me.
Lol fair enough. Thats why I need someone who can just talk about the play without the other crap. I hear ya tho, I do the same thing with other players...one being Bowen. I cannot talk objectively very well about the guy. Thats ok, someone will be able to help me out. Its just a question. Wondering if it was me as a Mavs fan feeling like Parker went overboard to sell it or if it was really necessary.

Cry Havoc
12-06-2007, 11:31 AM
I need an objective Spurs fan opinion. When Tony Parker got the clear path foul: did you really think it was a hard enough foul to send Parker sprawling and rolling around and then acting like he was injured only to get up and be fine? And then Brent Barry to come over and shove Terry away when he was checking on him? To me, and yes I'm a Mavs fan but I can be objective, it looked like Parker smartly went more into Terry to initiate contact, which he should. Then of course Terry makes contact and Parker goes sprawling like Terry took a cheap shot. I thought Parker did what he should do to get the foul on a breakaway. However, I did not think it was a clear path because Terry appeared to be ahead of him. But, was it really necessary for the drama of pretending to be injured? Thats all I'm asking. I thought there was rough play on both sides. Manu threw a good elbow on the play when he got the "shooting foul" and the technical foul. It was happening both ways. Please, let someone objective answer.

Maybe he wasn't exaggerating the contact. Even if you know it's coming, sometimes the momentum sends you flying anyway.

mathbzh
12-06-2007, 11:33 AM

Never forgot that Parker (or Manu) comes from a country where soccer is THE major sport. In soccer flopping and acting is an art.

LB7
12-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Maybe he wasn't exaggerating the contact. Even if you know it's coming, sometimes the momentum sends you flying anyway.
Yeah, I know these are grown men running full speed. Yeah Terry has pissed yall off lately, but I just feel like what Tony did was a little excessive and made it look way worse than it was which makes things worse for Terry in the eyes of Spurs fans. I know flopping has become a big part of the game, ala Manu and Devin, but to act actually hurt. That is really something that gets fans calling for another players head and it seemed extreme. Owell. Great game.

MoSpur
12-06-2007, 11:35 AM
It may have been a little acting on Tony's part while he was on the ground, but he was at full speed and Terry did push him intentionally. When you're running at full speed and someone pushes you, you lose control and hit the ground.

LB7
12-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Never forgot that Parker (or Manu) comes from a country where soccer is THE major sport. In soccer flopping and acting is an art.
Very true. Hey, we've got a budding star in the art of our own named Devin Harris. I even yell at him sometimes to not be so dramatic.

Warlord23
12-06-2007, 11:40 AM

Look, Parker probably sold that one well to the refs. But here's the thing: the Spurs had to adapt to the way the refs were calling the game. They had to walk the tightrope between bodying up on defense and not picking up any fouls.

Right from the early going, the Spurs wanted to be physical, while the Mavs were making all the right moves to get calls from the refs. Devin Harris went down on his back more than a hooker on dollar night. Nowitzki was flailing around pretending he was being pushed around by Oberto, Finley, Elson, etc.

On the other end, Parker and Ginobili weren't getting calls while trying to finish in heavy traffic, even though Howard and Terry were getting in their shots. It seemed like the refs were giving calls on histrionic performances rather than actual contact. The Spurs had to explicitly show that they were being hit.

I don't blame the Mavs, I blame the refs. They were:
a) encouraging preening, play-acting bitches Dirk and Harris to exaggerate contact and flop
b) Not punishing hacks like Terry and Howard on defense unless the Spurs went down and acted like they were shot.

The Mavs took advantage of the horrible refereeing early on, and the Spurs took a while to catch on. The Spurs don't like playing these kind of games, but they didn't have a choice.

Salvatore is the absolute pits when it comes to refereeing. The 4th quarter Maverick parade to the FT line is typical Bennett. How Stern and Stu Jackson let this incompetent clown officiate in this league is beyond me.

travis2
12-06-2007, 11:43 AM

If it had happened to Manu, I think the question would be a fair one. But Tony isn't well known for his flopping ability.

When I saw the replay, I thought it was a significant bump...and deserving of a flagrant 1...but only because there was no move for the ball, it was all body.

SpursFanFirst
12-06-2007, 11:44 AM

With Parker, I think he was running full speed, and then was hit or bumped, whatever...that sent him flying. I don't think the intent was the hurt him in any way...as for him "acting like he was injured..." well, maybe it took a second for him to pull himself together. I don't know. I think you're blowing that out of proportion. I could be wrong though. Maybe I need to see it again.

And Barry pushing Terry out of the way...meh...Terry pissed everyone off last night, so whatever. Terry is hardly a victim.

Sec24Row7
12-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Elson should have grabbed Terry by the leg when he tried to kick him in the nuts and twisted it off.

LB7
12-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Fair enough, fair enough. I hear ya about Salvatore. He gave us the benefit last night for sure but if you saw him ref our Indy game where AJ got kicked out...you would have laughed. Even if you hated the Mavs, you would have laughed. It was a joke and not just by Mavs fan standards. He is pretty pathetic but he is also equal opportunity. We were on the Spurs end of it when we played Indy and yall got the shaft in the 4th quarter last nite. He is pitiful for everyone...except maybe DWade...haha jk I won't start that up again. Anyway, great game by the Spurs. Everyone stepped up especially in the 3rd quarter. I believe I saw the stat that yall were shooting 70% in the second half at the start of the 4th. And I believe at the same time, we were shooting garbage at 38%. The roles really reversed after half-time. I blamed the end of the court. One side was good and the other bad because yall shot poorly in the 1st half while we shot fairly well. Oh well, no excuses here. Spurs played better, deserved to win.

wildbill2u
12-06-2007, 11:50 AM
1. Nobody who makes a living with his body-- legs, ankles, knees--takes a header going full speed for a fake cheap foul.

2. Can you spell balance boys and girls? --b,a,l,a,n,c,e,-- Good, I knew that you could. Sometimes you lose it. When going full blast it might not take much to cause a terrible looking fall.

CubanMustGo
12-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Free throw attempts:

Dallas - 35
San Antonio - 22

Does any 'objective' Mav fan want to address why a team that has two guys driving to the hole as much as Manu and Tony ended up with so many fewer free throws last night?

LB7
12-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Free throw attempts:

Dallas - 35
San Antonio - 22

Does any 'objective' Mav fan want to address why a team that has two guys driving to the hole as much as Manu and Tony ended up with so many fewer free throws last night?
Haha, yeah I wish I could. Only the referees can explain that for you. I don't really know what you would want us to say other than....man that sucks.

sa_butta
12-06-2007, 11:57 AM
What in the Matrix look-a-like was up with the flying knee kick to the midsection of Elson and then they call a foul on Elson??

thispego
12-06-2007, 12:03 PM
what the fuck? these guys arent invincible. what makes anyone think parker was faking being hurt when he went down??? looked like a hard foul/fall to me.

K-State Spur
12-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Free throw attempts:

Dallas - 35
San Antonio - 22

Yeah, for any fans out there who think Stern loves the Spurs:

Does any other team with a dominant big man and two of the best penetrators in the league see as many games where the opponents will get 10+ more free throws AT HOME?

whottt
12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
what the fuck? these guys arent invincible. what makes anyone think parker was faking being hurt when he went down??? looked like a hard foul/fall to me.

What pego says is the truth...

And Parker never flops or fakes fouls, that's part of the reason he doesn't get the calls often. He doesn't even accentuate the fouls.

If Tony seems to be hurt, he's hurt. And if he seems to have been fouled, he was fouled. Often he was fouled when it doesn't even look like he was fouled.

He needs to add the faking, accentuating and flopping stuff to his game, but he hasn't yet.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
What pego says is the truth...

And Parker never flops or fakes fouls, that's part of the reason he doesn't get the calls often. He doesn't even accentuate the fouls.

If Tony seems to be hurt, he's hurt. And if he seems to have been fouled, he was fouled. Often he was fouled when it doesn't even look like he was fouled.

He needs to add the faking, accentuating and flopping stuff to his game, but he hasn't yet.

I agree, TP is not known for doing that.

LEONARD
12-06-2007, 12:56 PM

Even as a Spurs fan, I have to say that was a flop, acting job, and not a clear path foul...

but he's French...what do you expect?? :dizzy

TheAuthority
12-06-2007, 01:06 PM

Parker always flails around. It kind of annoys me, and I'm a Spurs fan. That said, Parker doesn't get half the calls he should. Maybe because he overexaggerates everything? I don't know.

I thought the Manu foul was called correctly.

spursfan09
12-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Parker doesn't flail around. He usually takes it to the hole gets knocked down, but gets right back up as to say: "You can knock me down and try to scare me, but I'm gonna keep driving all game long." He is not known for flopping.

Budkin
12-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Where's Stackhouse shooting his mouth off now?

FromWayDowntown
12-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Parker always flails around. It kind of annoys me, and I'm a Spurs fan. That said, Parker doesn't get half the calls he should. Maybe because he overexaggerates everything? I don't know.

I thought the Manu foul was called correctly.

I disagree about Parker being a flailer. He ends up on the floor a lot, but he takes a lot of contact for a guy his size, too. I haven't seen a replay of the Parker/Terry incident, but in real time, it appeared that Parker had a lead, pushed the ball to the rim, where Terry made contact intending to deny a layup and then added a little push at the end to ensure that Parker couldn't get off a shot. I thought, in the moment, that a clear path foul was a bad call, but didn't understand why it wasn't called a flagrant 1 or a technical.

I was surprised that the Terry/Manu incident was called a technical, but rationalized that decision by my understanding that the personal foul was on Howard and that after the foul chippiness couldn't be an additional personal foul, thus the technical. I don't discount the possibility, though, that Salvatore and his crew chose not to assess flagrant fouls because of the history between Cuban and Salvatore.

Does any other team with a dominant big man and two of the best penetrators in the league see as many games where the opponents will get 10+ more free throws AT HOME?

The 4th quarter differentials last night were pretty remarkable.

The Spurs shot 10-20 from the floor and 1-2 from the line.

The Mavericks shot 7-17 from the floor and 14-17 from the line.

BonnerDynasty
12-06-2007, 02:04 PM

I thought Parker was just going full blast and the momentum caused him to roll. Terry got shoved because he just needed to walk away. The rivalry is at a point where no one is there to make friends.

howbouthemspurs
12-06-2007, 02:07 PM
You can throw a van full of Hillary Clinton midget impersonators who are all on their periods, and a chimp that looks like damon staudamire at him and he will still come at you smiling!

spursfan09
12-06-2007, 02:11 PM
I thought Parker was just going full blast and the momentum caused him to roll. Terry got shoved because he just needed to walk away. The rivalry is at a point where no one is there to make friends.

I agree! I could feel how much they hate eachother being in the same arena.

GSH
12-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Heh...Parker was in foul trouble. Maybe he just felt like he had to make sure it wasn't called a charge? There was no play on the ball, and it was enough for a flagrant 1. Nothing like a flagrant 2.

As for the Barry push? Tim was on the bench, and Manu is tying his shoes with his...well with one hand. Then he saw the Silver Streak take an unnecessary bump while he was defenseless. I'm sure he was wondering if there was going to be anyone left to make HEB commercials with.

After a flagrant, it isn't a good idea to look like you're hovering over the guy you fouled. When Tim got hurt the other night, the guy hovered over him for way too long. Finley shoved him out of the way at the expense of a FT also. And I was glad he did.

SAGambler
12-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Even as a Spurs fan, I have to say that was a flop, acting job, and not a clear path foul...

but he's French...what do you expect?? :dizzy

Probably wasn't a clear path foul, but probably the other option was a flagrant, since the defender didn't even pretend to go for the ball, so they called the lesser of the two they could have called. But I think that also gave Terry the balls to grab and pull down later, where he actually was hit with a flagrant. If they had hit him the first time, the second one would never have happened.

SAGambler
12-06-2007, 04:04 PM
I disagree about Parker being a flailer. He ends up on the floor a lot, but he takes a lot of contact for a guy his size, too. I haven't seen a replay of the Parker/Terry incident, but in real time, it appeared that Parker had a lead, pushed the ball to the rim, where Terry made contact intending to deny a layup and then added a little push at the end to ensure that Parker couldn't get off a shot. I thought, in the moment, that a clear path foul was a bad call, but didn't understand why it wasn't called a flagrant 1 or a technical.

I was surprised that the Terry/Manu incident was called a technical, but rationalized that decision by my understanding that the personal foul was on Howard and that after the foul chippiness couldn't be an additional personal foul, thus the technical. I don't discount the possibility, though, that Salvatore and his crew chose not to assess flagrant fouls because of the history between Cuban and Salvatore.

The 4th quarter differentials last night were pretty remarkable.

The Spurs shot 10-20 from the floor and 1-2 from the line.

The Mavericks shot 7-17 from the floor and 14-17 from the line.

I can't believe how many times Parker and Manu should have had an and 1, but it wasn't called, and the "The Choker throws up a ball, someone breathes on him a little hard, and he is on the way to the free throw line. It gets sickening after a few times of how the refs call constantly in favor of the Mavs when these two teams meet.

Like the second foul on Tony. Harris was still moving his feet, and inside the arc, and Tony gets whistled for a charge. Splain that one, if you can.

FromWayDowntown
12-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Even as a Spurs fan

:lmao

LilMissSPURfect
12-06-2007, 04:11 PM
no intension on terrys part on playing the ball = flagrant = asshole

ancestron
12-06-2007, 04:30 PM
no intension on terrys part on playing the ball = flagrant = asshole

Nicely put :toast

AnotherArgie
12-06-2007, 04:34 PM

Manu hates soccer.

greens
12-06-2007, 09:17 PM
And then Brent Barry to come over and shove Terry away when he was checking on him?

It was actually Manu, not Barry, who shoved Terry out of the way...And I think it has to do with the fact that Terry was giving cheap shots to both Manu and Parker the whole game...There were a couple of instances especially later on when Terry gave unnecessary shoves/pushes during the game to Manu, and it had sent him to the floor...there was actually a scary instance later on...where he tagged at Manu's arm and sent him flying down...

So I think Manu was trying to look after Tony...I think he was just worried about Tony's safety...You even saw Manu telling Terry "don't touch me..." later on...

debo
12-06-2007, 09:57 PM
LB7 you are truly one of the few "fans of the game", even though dallas is your team

TheAuthority
12-07-2007, 01:31 AM
I disagree about Parker being a flailer. He ends up on the floor a lot, but he takes a lot of contact for a guy his size, too.

Really? Apparently you haven't seen all of the plays where he doesn't even get touched by anyone after a layup, yet still somehow ends up on the ground. Not only on the ground, but kicking his legs into the air. This happens regularly. It isn't a "every once in awhile" thing. Sometimes it is accompanied by a Vince Carter-like "heeeeeeeeeyyyy".

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-07-2007, 02:09 AM
It was actually Manu, not Barry, who shoved Terry out of the way...And I think it has to do with the fact that Terry was giving cheap shots to both Manu and Parker the whole game...There were a couple of instances especially later on when Terry gave unnecessary shoves/pushes during the game to Manu, and it had sent him to the floor...there was actually a scary instance later on...where he tagged at Manu's arm and sent him flying down...

So I think Manu was trying to look after Tony...I think he was just worried about Tony's safety...You even saw Manu telling Terry "don't touch me..." later on...
yeah, Terry was hovering over Tony in half assed manner to check on his "well-being", being all phony,
and looked like Manu got him out of the way to really check on Tony.
(He really hates the Mavericks :lol)
I think he felt like Terry's act for the refs was bullshit, for the sake of Tony's safety, kind of like how Lebron looks after his teammates. When Terry's the guy responsible for that unnecessary fall in the first place.

Tony didn't exaggerate. He was going full blast to the basket and Terry played chicken with him, and caused Tony to take a crazy spill.
It's the same kind of Mavericks play where (Stackhouse?) bowled over Shaq in the finals.

greens
12-07-2007, 03:13 AM
yeah, Terry was hovering over Tony in half assed manner to check on his "well-being", being all phony,
and looked like Manu got him out of the way to really check on Tony.
(He really hates the Mavericks :lol)
I think he felt like Terry's act for the refs was bullshit, for the sake of Tony's safety, kind of like how Lebron looks after his teammates. When Terry's the guy responsible for that unnecessary fall in the first place.

Tony didn't exaggerate. He was going full blast to the basket and Terry played chicken with him, and caused Tony to take a crazy spill.
It's the same kind of Mavericks play where (Stackhouse?) bowled over Shaq in the finals.

Yup, I also feel that Tony was not exaggerating at all...he was definitely going at full speed...and Terry shoved him...anyone going at that kind of speed would fall down that hard...

Also add that up to Tony's ankle sprain that he had for a week, as this article mentions:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82923

And I think this is also what made Manu mad because later on in the game, he didn't want Terry anywhere near him. Ever heard of Manu telling another player "don't touch me..."? As Terry "tried to help" him up, Manu was just like get away...

So I think Terry's BS was definitely shown throughout the game...even if he comes up with "respectful" quotes...I don't think he means them at all...Remember when he punched Finley in 2006, and then he later said he didn't do it, even though the video clearly showed it all on all the tv channels! So I think his "niceness" is an act when it happens...that is.