PDA

View Full Version : The Juice: NBA implementing in-game wireless microphones not popular

m33p0
12-06-2007, 11:15 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10514500

The Juice: NBA implementing in-game wireless microphones not popular
Dec. 5, 2007
By Tony Mejia
CBSSports.com Staff Writer

Effective immediately, the NBA is coming into your living rooms in a manner in which it never has before. In an effort to be further proactive about being interactive, the league is making all its coaches wear wireless microphones for nationally televised games and asking certain players to do the same.

Any type of 'Brokeback Mountain' references like Phil Jackson made recently will not reach the air. (Getty Images)
"I'm against it," Bulls point guard Kirk Hinrich told the Chicago Tribune. "I wouldn't want everybody to know everything that's coming out of my mouth or going through my head during games. You'd have to be careful about what you say."

Hinrich will have the option of refusing to wear one, as will all players. Coaches won't, though their mikes can be turned on and off at their discretion.

Cameras will be placed in locker room areas to reveal some pregame and halftime banter, but are going to be positioned so they don't reveal any strategy-related information that can be intercepted and compromise the game.

The third change, one that will be humorous to watch since all coaches hate to be bothered during a game, will be in-game interviews at the end of the first and third quarters with both coaches. The visiting head coach will be grilled by television commentators following the opening quarter, while the home team's head coach will draw the honors heading into the fourth.

Intrusive? Sure. Interesting? Definitely. Ultimately, it promises to be good for the game. The NBA has always been in your face since it's the only professional sports league where players don't wear hats or helmets. It's now just taking it a step further.

Those of you expecting any more Brokeback Mountain references out of Phil Jackson or waiting on George Karl and Pat Riley questioning their team's manhood can go ahead and conserve the space on your DVRs for something else. You can count on increased access, but anything potentially compromising won't see the light of day. The league will have representatives on site to ensure that what gets out there is family-friendly.

The first guinea pigs, Denver's Karl, Dallas' Avery Johnson, Portland's Nate McMillan and Miami's Riley will provide a wonderful sample group on Thursday's TNT telecasts. It's a nice mix of lifers and young coaches, guys who had ties to one another back in 2000, when the league first tried to launch this experiment and was turned back by resentment. Riley refused to wear one. So did Paul Westphal, now an assistant on Johnson's staff, who went on Seattle's KJR and called it "an unfair restriction on my ability to compete." McMillan was one of his assistants and ironically, replaced him that summer.

Nobody should expect that any of these guys have drastically changed their opinions on the matter seven years later, but the fact of the matter is that there is now a greater understanding that coaches must compromise with the league's broadcast partners to ensure a better product.

It's similar to miked up segments on Monday Night Football, designed to bring you a unique point of view of the action, one previously only available to those sitting courtside. The NFL has had success miking up players for years, showing off the tenacity of a Ray Lewis without making him look like too much of a brute through careful editing. Baseball telecasts often feature interviews with managers in between innings, doing so in the pressure-packed postseason. If Joe Torre can handle it with class, so can Riley.

"I'm not a fan of it," Chicago head coach Scott Skiles told the Chicago Tribune. "It's not going to hinder me from doing anything. But I look at it from a player's perspective. You try to get guys to communicate with the coach, but now the coach is miked. I don't know that I'd be that comfortable being frank with the coach if I knew he was miked and it could be on TV. Quotes get taken out of context. And people make judgments on those quotes."

Trust will be a big part of this initiative and unlike the last major NBA innovation, that wonderful new synthetic leather basketball, it sounds like this has been thoroughly thought out.

Nothing will go out there live. They're not relying on a seven-second delay. You'll see these additions sprinkled in coming in and out of breaks, prepared and approved by the league's on-site representatives, who you can assume will err on the side of caution.

-------------------------

here's my idea. have a referee as a guest analyst on tv during live games

phyzik
12-06-2007, 01:58 PM
I bet Pop has his mike off all the time.

FromWayDowntown
12-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I bet Pop has his mike off all the time.

From Buck Harvey this morning:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA120607.01C.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.2f8ea00.html

I wish there had been a camera on the Mavericks when they trudged into their locker room. Did they think they had just lost to the Spurs without Tim Duncan — or Golden State again?

I wish there had been a microphone on Dirk Nowitzki when he chunked an open three. Would there have been a perceptible gurgle?

But even with cameras in NBA locker rooms and microphones hooked up to players, I won't see or hear any of that. Neither will you.

What the coaches and players won't hide, the NBA will. They won't show the good stuff.

And that's why the league might as well keep selling what doesn't require surveillance. Players, for example, such as Manu Ginobili.

TNT and ESPN will try to sell more. Beginning tonight, coincidentally with another Mavericks game, there will be all-access voyeurism.

"We hope to capture the raw emotions on the floor and give fans a closer look at NBA personalities," a TV executive told USA Today.

Mark Cuban thinks the concept is "great," and he would. Cuban dances with the stars, and he'd dance in his underwear if it meant more attention.

Maybe that's why Avery Johnson is less rebellious than he is resigned to the idea. His boss believes.

The NBA tried this same thing in 2000, and Gregg Popovich was resigned then, too. He was one of four coaches who wore a microphone that season before the concept was scrapped.

"I'm not in NCAA Division III anymore," Popovich said then. "So it's pretty hard to stand on philosophical grounds and be a purist."

Now, with his standing in the league more secure, he's a purist again. He said Wednesday he thinks the new policy is "very invasive."

He's never been fond of invasive. The Spurs have operated in a controlled environment, and now there will be cameras at halftime — when even staff knows better than to intrude.

Popovich wasn't at the coaches' meeting in Chicago last summer when David Stern announced the change, but Popovich wouldn't have made a difference. Stern told them there would be no debate.

Cuban says the NBA will guard its embarrassing and damaging footage "like Fort Knox," but Popovich wonders. "I trust the league will do everything it can to keep it in house and all that," he said. "But we live in the world. And most us see that is pretty impossible to do."

Popovich, for example, will be hooked up with a microphone for the first time Friday. The other coach will be Jerry Sloan, who is also known for some salty language. If these two recreate a Sopranos episode, and the guys in the truck are laughing, what's the chance an intern swipes the feed? YouTube seemingly gets everything eventually.

"I'm willing to bet it would give pause to commissioner Stern and his group if all of a sudden in their next important meeting there was a camera and microphone," Popovich said. "It would make them, as it will make us, act differently. It will be a much more cautious, untrusting atmosphere."

So TNT and ESPN won't get what is usually said, because the coaches and players will be guarded. And if by chance the emotions really do get raw, they won't show it.

They will invade everyone's space with little to show for it, and in doing so they will ignore the truth of their game — that there's often a real edge. There was Wednesday, when the Spurs and Mavericks again showcased the league's best rivalry.

There were hard fouls, and there was anger, and there was Ginobili playing with passion. He said later his sore finger was bothering him, but "I could break through the defense and get to the rim."

He broke through, all right, which might lead to the next great NBA idea. Manu-cam.

And when Ginobili drove down the middle in the third quarter to dunk with a hand that was supposed to be too sore to even play? AJ might have said something privately he wouldn't say on Sunday mornings.

But at that moment? The NBA had something to sell, and eavesdropping wouldn't have enhanced it.

boutons_
12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
This is progress?

Maybe Stern ought to work on upgrading the diluted-talent league (by annulling 10 franchises) and its quality of play rather than invading personal space.

SAtown
12-06-2007, 08:11 PM
The implementation starts tonight with George Karl and AJ :lol

This should be pretty interesting

DOMINATOR
12-06-2007, 08:15 PM
He broke through, all right, which might lead to the next great NBA idea. Manu-cam.

lol reminds me of that Wade commercial with the 2 faces on his shoulders.

kingsfan
12-06-2007, 09:31 PM
That was exciting, it will really bring in new viewers :rolleyes

T Park
12-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Maybe Stern ought to work on upgrading the diluted-talent league (by annulling 10 franchises) and its quality of play rather than invading personal space.

Oh genius of basketball,

what 10 teams should be gotten rid of?

m33p0
12-07-2007, 12:06 AM
we all know how the league reacted to the "Brokeback Mountain" response by Phil Jackson. we'll be hearing alot of bleep bleep during the bleep . especially when the bleep phoenix suns play the bleep spurs with bleep d'antoni going bleep bleep on the bleep sideline when his bleep team losing in the bleep game for bleep nth time. get the bleep idea?

BonnerDynasty
12-07-2007, 02:50 AM
Some stuff was cool but most of it looked like they knew they were being filmed and blurted out some lame cliche.

m33p0
12-07-2007, 09:41 AM
it will only take one totally pissed off coach to stop this idea.

baseline bum
12-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Interview with the coach at the end of the third? WTF is Stern doing? I'm not an NBA head coach, but I'd guess that's a pretty important time to be discussing strategy with your players, and mapping out a plan to close the game, as opposed to doing a fluff piece with Cheryl Miller.

Kriz-Maxima
12-07-2007, 04:46 PM
"yeah" "come on" "Lets play defense" somehow hearing players and coach say that made the game more interesting for me.

What a shity idea.

BonnerDynasty
12-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Can't wait for DAntoni.

"Let's play some defense guys!, it's all about defense. 12 men strong! 1, 2, 3 Team!!."

SRJ
12-07-2007, 07:50 PM
This is progress?

Political Forum, NBA Forum, same quality.