PDA

View Full Version : Agent: Scola To Sign With Spurs Next Summer

Notorious H.O.P.
12-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Don't know if this was posted yet or not. Scola's agent is claiming the off-season signing of Scola is an all but done deal. Granted we all assumed this was going to happen but it's interesting to see the confidence that Scola's agent has. Also, according to him, the Spurs interest in Scola was so high this past off-season that it was assumed his signing was a done deal this summer until salary cap issues prevented this from happening.

http://marca.es/edicion/noticia/0,2458,576436,00.html

EL ALA-PÍVOT DEL TAU JUGARÁ LA PRÓXIMA TEMPORADA EN LA NBA
El agente de Scola asegura que éste firmará por los Spurs
AITOR SAN VICENTE. Vitoria

No es oficial, pero se da por hecho. Luis Scola fichará finalmente el próximo verano por los San Antonio Spurs. “No se puede decir que está cerrado porque todos sabemos cómo funciona esto, pero todos lo indicios permiten pensar que Luis estará el año que viene en la NBA”, apuntó al Diario Olé Claudio Villanueva, agente del ala pívot del Tau Cerámica. El rotativo argentino cita que una persona muy cercana al jugador afirmó que “te puedo confirmar que será así”. El interés de los Spurs y otras franquicias en el argentino no es ningún misterio y viene de lejos. El cuadro texano, donde milita Manu Ginobili, ‘drafteó’ a Scola en la segunda ronda de 2002 y R.C. Buford ya apuntó el pasado verano que Scola era una de las prioridades de la franquicia de cara a la temporada 2005-06 para dar descanso a Tim Duncan. El manager general de la franquicia ya ha visitado varias veces a Scola y le ha visto en acción varias veces esta temporada.

Gregg Popovich, técnico de los Spurs, también ha desvelado que quiere al ala pívot argentino en su equipo para la próxima campaña. Popovich conoce bien a Scola y durante los Juegos Olímpicos de Atenas de este pasado verano tuvo una nueva oportunidad para deleitarse con el juego del argentino en el poste bajo.

El interés por Scola es tan alto que casi se dio por hecha su incorporación a los Spurs este verano. Finalmente, debido a problemas en el tope salarial y a que San Antonio tuvo que hacer frente a importantes renovaciones (Ginobili, Bowen, Parker...), la operación no se pudo llevar a cabo.

Uno de los problemas es la elevada cláusula de Scola en el Tau, que rondaría los dos millones de dólares. Para que Scola le pueda hacer frente, le pondrán sobre la mesa unos seis millones por tres temporadas. “Aún no tenemos la oferta arriba de la mesa, pero estará en poco tiempo. Sólo esperamos una oferta coherente, no la ideal. Con eso estaremos bien”, apuntó Villanueva. Mientras, el jugador sigue centrado al máximo en el Tau.

Notorious H.O.P.
12-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Also, it's good to see that they don't expect the Spurs to break open the bank for them. They just want a reasonable offer. The newspaper suggests that 3 yrs-6 million will do it and that's a number lower than most tossed around here recently. The only thing I see causing a problem here is Devin's emergence. He's been on and off (mostly on) but he has a possible chance of upping his value to the full MLE. The Spurs could have some difficult decisions to make.

IX_Equilibrium
12-28-2004, 12:00 PM
http://marca.es/edicion/noticia/0,2458,576436,00.html

EL ALA-PÍVOT DEL TAU JUGARÁ LA PRÓXIMA TEMPORADA EN LA NBA
El agente de Scola asegura que éste firmará por los Spurs

No es oficial, pero se da por hecho. Luis Scola fichará finalmente el próximo verano por los San Antonio Spurs. “No se puede decir que está cerrado porque todos sabemos cómo funciona esto, pero todos lo indicios permiten pensar que Luis estará el año que viene en la NBA”, apuntó al Diario Olé Claudio Villanueva, agente del ala pívot del Tau Cerámica. El rotativo argentino cita que una persona muy cercana al jugador afirmó que “te puedo confirmar que será así”. El interés de los Spurs y otras franquicias en el argentino no es ningún misterio y viene de lejos. El cuadro texano, donde milita Manu Ginobili, ‘drafteó’ a Scola en la segunda ronda de 2002 y R.C. Buford ya apuntó el pasado verano que Scola era una de las prioridades de la franquicia de cara a la temporada 2005-06 para dar descanso a Tim Duncan. El manager general de la franquicia ya ha visitado varias veces a Scola y le ha visto en acción varias veces esta temporada.

Gregg Popovich, técnico de los Spurs, también ha desvelado que quiere al ala pívot argentino en su equipo para la próxima campaña. Popovich conoce bien a Scola y durante los Juegos Olímpicos de Atenas de este pasado verano tuvo una nueva oportunidad para deleitarse con el juego del argentino en el poste bajo.

El interés por Scola es tan alto que casi se dio por hecha su incorporación a los Spurs este verano. Finalmente, debido a problemas en el tope salarial y a que San Antonio tuvo que hacer frente a importantes renovaciones (Ginobili, Bowen, Parker...), la operación no se pudo llevar a cabo.

Uno de los problemas es la elevada cláusula de Scola en el Tau, que rondaría los dos millones de dólares. Para que Scola le pueda hacer frente, le pondrán sobre la mesa unos seis millones por tres temporadas. “Aún no tenemos la oferta arriba de la mesa, pero estará en poco tiempo. Sólo esperamos una oferta coherente, no la ideal. Con eso estaremos bien”, apuntó Villanueva. Mientras, el jugador sigue centrado al máximo en el Tau.
http://www.metrophotohost.com/gallery_0010/gallery_albums/album07/English_Motherfucker_Do_You_Speak_It.jpg

MannyIsGod
12-28-2004, 01:03 PM
:lmao @ that picture.

I'd rather have Scola than Devin.

Mr. Body
12-28-2004, 01:08 PM
I suspect the MLE can be split between the two. I'm tremendously excited to see Scola as a Spur.

ChumpDumper
12-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Once again, Devin does not have to be paid with MLE money as the Spurs hold his early Bird rights. The total amount each is signed to could become an issue depending on the CBA and luxury tax negotiations. If that's the case, the Spurs might try to move one or both of Malik and Rasho.

Solid D
12-28-2004, 01:21 PM
3-years, $6M is pretty low since Nocioni signed one for 3 and 10Meg.

ducks
12-28-2004, 01:23 PM
I think the rose lovers have to admit 3 years for 6 million would be worth the risk

Solid D
12-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Warning: Computer Translator Used
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://marca.es/edicion/noticia/0,2458,576436,00.html

The agent of Scola assures that this one will sign by the Spurs

She is not official, but one occurs by fact. Luis Scola will finally fichará the next summer by San Antonio Spurs. "it is not possible to be said that it is closed because all we know how this works, but all the indications allow to think that Luis will be next year in the NBA", pointed at the Olé Newspaper Claudius Villanueva, agent of the wing pívot of the Ceramic Tau. The Argentine metropolitan newspaper appointment that a person very near the player affirmed that "I can confirm to you that he will be asi '". The interest of the Spurs and other tax exemptions in the Argentinean are not no mystery and come from distant spot. The texano picture, where Manu Ginobili militates, ' drafteo '' to Scola in the second round of 2002 and R.C. Buford already pointed the past summer that Scola was one of the priorities of the tax exemption facing season 2005-06 to give rest to Tim Duncan. General manager of the tax exemption already has visited several times Scola and this season has seen in action several times him.

Gregg Popovich, technician of the Spurs, also has kept awake that wants to the Argentine wing pívot in its equipment for the next campaign. Popovich knows Scola well and during the Olympic Games of Athens of this last summer it had a new opportunity to delight with the game of the Argentinean in the low post.

The interest by Scola is so high that it almost occurred by done his incorporation to the east Spurs summer. Finally, due to problems in the wage top and to that San Antonio had to face important renovations (Ginobili, Bowen, Parker...), the operation it was not possible to be carried out.

One of the problems is the high clause of Scola in the Tau, that would go up to around million dollars both. So that Scola can do to him in front, they will put on the table about six million to him by three seasons. "Not yet we have the supply above of the table, but it will be in just a short time. We only waited for a coherent supply, not ideal it. With that we will be well ", pointed Villanueva. While, the player follows trim in the Tau to the maximum.

MannyIsGod
12-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Once again, Devin does not have to be paid with MLE money as the Spurs hold his early Bird rights. The total amount each is signed to could become an issue depending on the CBA and luxury tax negotiations. If that's the case, the Spurs might try to move one or both of Malik and Rasho.

Holt had to be just about shot to exceed an extra 2 million on Tony's contract, I somehow doubt his willingness to spend very much on Devin.

Kori Ellis
12-28-2004, 01:40 PM
It depends what happens with the CBA. If the luxury tax is eliminated, I'm sure Holt will be more flexible.

MannyIsGod
12-28-2004, 01:41 PM
And honestly, I think Devin should be willing to take less than market value (which honestly still can't be very high) to stay in San Antonio after the Spurs took a chance with him.

Das Texan
12-28-2004, 02:29 PM
As long as no team breaks the bank on Devin, he will be a spur next year.

And so will Scola.

Then lets eradicate some of the dead weight off this team.

Rummpd
12-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Great news - and glad this is not announcing the signing of the Mailthug!

MadDoc

E20
12-28-2004, 02:37 PM
http://www.metrophotohost.com/gallery_0010/gallery_albums/album07/English_Motherfucker_Do_You_Speak_It.jpg
:lmaoX10000000000000000000000000

GrandeDavid
12-28-2004, 02:59 PM
^Hell yeah I speak English, Jules! And you look like a mothafuggin dork!".

TheWriter
12-28-2004, 03:18 PM
A better translation:

THE WING-CENTER OF THE TAU WILL PLAY THE NEXT SEASON IN THE NBA

The agent of Scola assures that this will sign for the Spurs

It is not an official, but he is given for fact. Luis Scola will put on file finally the next summer by the San Antonio Spurs. “It cannot tell himself that is closed because all we know how does this function, but all him indications permit to think that Luis will be next year in the NBA”, he aimed al Daily Olé Claudio Villanueva, agent of the wing center of the Tau Ceramics. The Argentine newspaper quotes that a very nearby person al player affirmed that “I can confirm you that he will be thus”. The interest of the Spurs and other franchises in the Argentine is no mystery and comes from a distance. The picture texano, where military Manu Ginobili, ‘drafteó’ to Scola in the second patrols of 2002 and R.C. Buford already aimed last summer that Scola was one of the priorities of the franchise with a view toward the season 2005-06 to give rest to Tim Duncan. The manager general of the franchise already has visited several times to Scola and has seen him in action several times this season.

Gregg Popovich, technician of the Spurs, has also alert that wants al wing Argentine center in its team for the next campaign. Popovich knows well to Scola and during the Olympic Games of Athens of this past summer had a new opportunity to be delighted with the play of the Argentine in the post low.

The interest by Scola is so high that almost was given for fact its incorporation to the Spurs this summer. Finally, due to problems in the salary stop and to that San Antonio had to face important renewals (Ginobili, Bowen, Parker. ..), the operation could not be carried out.

One of the problems is the high clause of Scola in the Tau, that would patrol the two million dollars. So that Scola can confront him, they will put him on the table some six million for three seasons. “Not yet we have the up the offering of the table, but will be in little time. Only we expect a coherent offering, not the ideal. With that we will be well”, aimed Villanueva. While, the player continues centered al maximum in the Tau.

boutons
12-28-2004, 03:23 PM
... (free) machine-translation is always good for few laughs.

Manu20
12-28-2004, 03:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=scolaclosetonba&prov=st&type=lgns

Olympic hero Scola ready for NBA

December 28, 2004
BUENOS AIRES (Ticker) - Power forward Luis Scola, who led Argentina to its first Olympic gold medal in Greece appears ready to cross the Atlantic and play for the San Antonio Spurs next season, according to his agent.

Claudio Villanueva admitted Scola, 24, expects to leave Spanish ACB giants Tau Ceramica for the NBA next summer.

"I confirm that that will be the case," Villanueva said to Argentine sports newspaper Ole. "We cannot say that the deal is done because we all know how this world works, but there are all the indications to think that Luis will play next year in the NBA."

Scola made headlines following his formidable performance in Athens as he and current Spurs guard Manu Ginobili guided Argentina to the gold medal.

With averages of 17.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per game, Scola was considered one of the best players in the Athens Games. He had a game-high 25 points and 11 rebounds in Argentina's gold medal victory over Italy.

Scola has also starred with Tau.

After four seasons with the Vitoria club, Scola is considered the leader of his team and, according to an ACB rankings format, is the third most valuable player in the competition.

In the Euroleague, Scola is averaging 13.6 points and 7.5 rebounds for Tau, which is fifth in Group C with a 4-4 record.

Scola was chosen 56th overall in the 2002 NBA draft by San Antonio but is under contract with Tau until 2006.

Negotiations could therefore be more complicated considering the South American star has a buyout clause of $2 million.

Andres Nocioni, a rookie with the Chicago Bulls, had to meet a buyout clause with Tau in the summer before signing with the NBA. He and fellow rookie Carlos Delfino of the Detroit Pistons are, along with Ginobili, the only Argentinians in the world's top league.

Villanueva has revealed that Scola nearly played for the Spurs this season.

"After the Olympic Games they (San Antonio executives) made an approach but they had problems regarding the salary cap," he said. "Their offer could not justify his departure.

"The problem is that, because of his selection in the draft, there is not much room to maneuver, which is very different to what happened to Chapu (Nocioni), who was a free agent."

However, after six years in Europe, Scola is looking to make the jump to the NBA.

"Luis knows the situation and we are only awaiting a coherent offer, not the ideal one, and we will be satisfied with that," Villanueva said.

waly.mg
12-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Pardon
But seems to me that for the Larry Bird Rights it is necessary to have played 3 seasons in the equipment and Devin only has 2, for that reason this could not either be used in theManu's Contract

ChumpDumper
12-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Early Bird rights allow a player who has been with a team for two years to be signed with an exception that can be as much as the midlevel. It was a foregone conclusion that Manu's contract would be higher than the midlevel.

waly.mg
12-28-2004, 04:30 PM
The "Early Bird" Exception: A team may re-sign its own free agent for the greater of (a) 175 percent of the player's salary in the last season of his prior contract, or (b) the average player salary for the upcoming season, if he played for the team for the prior two consecutive seasons (or, if he changed teams, he did so by trade).

ChumpDumper
12-28-2004, 04:57 PM
(b) the average player salary for the upcoming seasonaka, the midlevel.

timvp
12-28-2004, 06:17 PM
I'd rather have Scola than Devin.

Um, no.

:wtf

Phenomanul
12-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Let's not forget Horry might come off of the books next year...

Kori Ellis
12-28-2004, 06:20 PM
It's interesting that it says 3years/$6M. I thought that they were talking about him wanting more money, even last year.

His stats have steadily declined since his monster start this season. Now he's only averaging 16.8 points and 7.8 rebounds ... but shooting 57% from the field and a very Spur-like 61% from the line.

Kori Ellis
12-28-2004, 06:21 PM

The Spurs will still be over the cap, so that won't effect anything. The only thing the Spurs will have this summer is the MLE ... plus they'll be able to sign Devin with his Early Bird's Rights.

Phenomanul
12-28-2004, 06:25 PM
The Spurs will still be over the cap, so that won't effect anything. The only thing the Spurs will have this summer is the MLE ... plus they'll be able to sign Devin with his Early Bird's Rights.

Oh.... I see...

Thanks Kori.

BTW Were you able to find that Marion vs. Manu stat breakdown thread I posted at the old forum... If it's lost... that's OK.

Kori Ellis
12-28-2004, 06:26 PM
I couldn't find it :(

Phenomanul
12-28-2004, 06:28 PM
That's cool... I just want to show some of the people in here that Marion's stats wouldn't be the same if he were in a Spurs uniform, and vice versa for Manu.

SequSpur
12-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Nice another hot dog foreigner from Argentina.

What happened to trading for talent? Is that even possible with this management group?

ducks
12-28-2004, 09:49 PM
hey sequa alteast it is only 6 million
rose and rasho are going to be making that in one season not 3

Notorious H.O.P.
12-29-2004, 05:21 AM
It would be nice if we could split the MLE to sign all our current foreign players. At the very least Scola and Javtokas. A little bit of bench transition for a year for each of them could pay big dividends to the Spurs in the future. In the mean time, it probably comes down to 3yrs - 8 million before everything is said and done.

Say it with me.....

"No Luxury Tax, No Luxury Tax!!!!!"

whottt
12-29-2004, 05:45 AM

I don't get the hurry to dump Horry...he's probably been our best bench player this season...again.

If Horry is willing to play for the min, or even in the 2.5 range, I'd keep bringing him and his 5 rings back until he can no longer walk out on the court. He's a valuable role player with a high BBAll IQ, who can shoot, pass, defend inside or on the perimeter, and he's got more championship experience than any other player in the NBA. Even if his days of being arguably the greatest clutch shooter in NBA history are over...he's still brings a lot...and I think he is still clutch.

He actually leads the team in +/- this season...

There just aren't a lot of Robert Horry's in the NBA, especially for the vet min. You either keep bringing him back as long as he has something to offer...or you watch him go to another title contender to annoy Duncan with his D, and hope his shot rims out again...for only the second time.

I consider it a good omen that Horry came back here for the min...the man has a nose for rings...it's a pretty good endorsement of our title chances that he came here for the min...

xcoriate
12-29-2004, 06:14 AM
^^ Horry is on a vet minimum contract this year I don't think his departure would free up much space.

deepsouth
12-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Nice another hot dog foreigner from Argentina.

What happened to trading for talent? Is that even possible with this management group?
Hey Sequ.
Scola is not a foreigner from my point of view and I suppose that neither for other people here in the forum.
Are your arguing that he is gonna be traded because he is from Argentina despite his lack of talent?

You are not really thinking what you say.

ChumpDumper
12-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Horry is a vet minimum player -- you only lose him when you find a guy who plays better for ~$700k.

boutons
12-29-2004, 01:19 PM
"Hey Sequ."

If you're new to the forum, Sequ is as bad, maybe worse, as any troll for generating completely useless, uninformative, idiotic, unsupportable forum traffic.

Supergirl
12-29-2004, 01:27 PM
I suspect with Scola joining, Horry will be gone unless he wants to come back for the vet min and get Kevin Willis type minutes. Rose may see his minutes decrease too, but Scola is a good investment, since he is only 24.

I see Brown being groomed as Bowen's replacement. Pop likes the way Brown plays D and uses him in the rotation often as Bowen's sub. Bowen will need replacing in 1-3 more seasons, but I hope he sticks around to offer leadership - he's shown he's committed to doing so.

ALVAREZ6
12-29-2004, 01:43 PM
I don't see why people don't want Scola, he's 24, he's playing good basketball.

We need depth at the forward spots to rest Duncan and rasho, even though we have Malik and Horry, Horry is old.

Especially if its only 6Million. Scola is without a doubt a player that we must sign. He can do nothing but help.