PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Parker rests his ankle

fred33
12-07-2007, 01:33 AM
Spurs Notebook: Parker rests his ankle
Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer

Add Tony Parker to the Spurs' list of key players teetering on the brink of the inactive list.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Parker suffered a mild ankle sprain last week. While the All-Star point guard is not expected to miss any game action, he won't be participating in full practice sessions anytime soon.

Popovich said All-Star forward Tim Duncan is doubtful for tonight's game at the AT&T Center against the Utah Jazz because of his sprained right ankle. He probably will return to action Tuesday against Golden State.

Like Parker, Manu Ginobili was held out of Thursday's practice because of lingering soreness in his left hand, the result of a fall in the Spurs' game against Portland on Sunday.

"Both (Ginobili and Parker) did a lot of recovery stuff," Popovich said. "Tony went right to rehab. His ankle has been bothering him. He tweaked an ankle a while back and he's been real sore. He'll be fine for the game (tonight), but we kept him off it (Thursday).

"Manu just stretched and got in the pool and did some recovery kind of stuff. He's played a lot of games and been banged around pretty good. That's his style of play, and he'll play (tonight)."

Tape doesn't lie: Popovich made his players watch videotape of the final play of Wednesday's 97-95 victory over the Dallas Mavericks as a lesson on how not to defend an in-bounds play.

Dirk Nowitzki ended up with a relatively open 3-point shot after a play triggered with two seconds remaining and the ball inbounded from the baseline near the Mavericks' basket.

Nowitzki had to go several feet out of bounds to get to an open spot in the corner — Bruce Bowen joked that he thought Nowitzki was going to take a seat in the first row — but his shot was still too good to suit Popovich.

"It was kind of like that play where the high school kid went out this door and came in the other door," Popovich said, recalling an ESPN "SportsCenter" highlight from several years ago. "(Dirk) went about 6 feet out of bounds. I think by the time he turned around and got set to shoot the thing, it was a real tough shot for him, and Manu contested it pretty good. But for Dirk, it was a pretty good shot, and I watched (the tape) closely.

"It was good Manu didn't foul him. He could have gotten too excited about it and tried to stop the shot."

No complaint: Popovich was not surprised the Mavericks resorted to some physical tactics in a vain attempt to slow down Ginobili on Thursday. The Spurs guard burned Dallas for 37 points.

Hot players often are treated with cold, calculating tactics.

"It's a contact sport," Popovich said, "and you have a guy who's having a game like that, the opponent is going to lay some lumber on them."

Finley OK with bench: Looking to give his first unit a bit more scoring punch with Duncan out against the Mavericks, Popovich inserted sixth man of the year candidate Ginobili into the starting lineup.

The move seemed to work wonders for the guard he replaced, too.

Michael Finley, coming off the bench for the first time since April 15, broke out of a season-long shooting slump to score 14 points and make a season-high four 3-pointers.

"It's all about doing what's best for the team," Finley said. "(Thursday night), that was me coming off the bench."

SouthernFried
12-07-2007, 01:48 AM
Ok...we've proved that the SPURS are damned good. With or without our Franchise player. Could we mebbe lay off a little...pace ourselves some for the rest of season? Our big 3 are now all banged up.

Spend most of the rest of the season making sure they're 100% for the playoffs.

As long as we're somewhere in the middle or higher come playoff time...that would be just fine with me. As long as our big 3 are 100%...or close enuf.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-07-2007, 01:50 AM
I just want to be sure on something, King...

24 losses by the end of January, right?

fred33
12-07-2007, 02:00 AM
Here we go...

The Injury excuse once again to cover up for his inconsistency... and the upcoming losses

WHAT DO YOU WATCHED PORTLAND AND DALLAS GAME?

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-07-2007, 02:07 AM
I didn't say 24 losses idiot, I say you could be at .500 by then

losing 13 games are a possibility...

24 losses would mean .500 by the end of January, which is what you changed it to.

Vingianx
12-07-2007, 02:11 AM
I didn't say 24 losses idiot, I say you could be at .500 by then

losing 13 games are a possibility...

ummm... no, this is not Cleveland where the team lingers around the .500..
this is San Antonio

SouthernFried
12-07-2007, 02:59 AM
You could be good without one of the the so-called "Big 3" but not without 2

How many other teams in the league can be good without their franchise player?

Thanks man! That's a serious compliment.

"...but, you couldn't be good without "TWO" of your best players!"

Now, this is starting to get funny! I'm thinking his next statement's gonna be...

"but...but...I bet you couldn't be good without 3 of your best players and 2 of your subs. Spurs are so overrated!!"

:lmao

mathbzh
12-07-2007, 03:35 AM
"but...but...I bet you couldn't be good without 3 of your best players and 2 of your subs. Spurs are so overrated!!"

We would still be better than Cleveland without BronBron :spin

xapatan2
12-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Here we go...

The Injury excuse once again to cover up for his inconsistency... and the upcoming losses

sadly, there might be nobody to cover your idioty...

Xap'

BlackFlagg
12-07-2007, 04:16 AM
Now, this is starting to get funny! I'm thinking his next statement's gonna be...

LOL Right you are, and still kicking ass.

JPB
12-07-2007, 05:16 AM
Is that Geek23 gonna troll all the threads ?

It's not even funny anymore.

JPB
12-07-2007, 05:19 AM
Back to the thread.

It's surprising Tony doesn't get injured more often with his style of play.

JPB
12-07-2007, 05:27 AM
It was good Manu didn't foul him. He could have gotten too excited about it and tried to stop the shot."

Flashback ?

carina_gino20
12-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Flashback ?

I thought that too. :lol although it seemed just a wee bit blunt

1Parker1
12-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Flashback ?

:lol That is what I was thinking too. Was that a slight jab at 2006 Manu?

exstatic
12-07-2007, 08:37 AM
24 losses would mean .500 by the end of January, which is what you changed it to.
PZWN3D, louis

exstatic
12-07-2007, 08:52 AM
By the way, you can drop that fake-ass Cleveland ID and rock your real team anytime now, louis...unless you're ashamed of the Rox this year.

m33p0
12-07-2007, 09:03 AM
:lol That is what I was thinking too. Was that a slight jab at 2006 Manu?

that's one of the endearing things about manu. he's a big time player who's not afraid to make big time mistakes which, ultimately, allows him to makes big time plays.

SAGambler
12-07-2007, 09:09 AM
"It was good Manu didn't foul him. He could have gotten too excited about it and tried to stop the shot."

It's a lucky thing for us that Salvatore didn't whistle one for Dirk anyway. Surely Manu was close enough to breath hard on The Choker. Usually that is enough for Salvatore to award him free throws, especially against the Spurs.

Bruno
12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Parker wore a compression sock on his left leg against Mavs.
Photo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=594b9d7c6ca517e28923b146a6904e1c-getty-76075801ce008_mavs_spur&prov=getty)

Parker's ankle ligaments are very flexible and often aren't damaged when Parker's sprain is slight. I guess that he had a compression sock because it help to lower the swelling by helping the blood circulation. It keeps also is ankle warm.

Dex
12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Michael Finley, coming off the bench for the first time since April 15, broke out of a season-long shooting slump to score 14 points and make a season-high four 3-pointers.

"It's all about doing what's best for the team," Finley said. "(Thursday night), that was me coming off the bench."

Monroe doesn't even know what day the game was. :lmao This dude couldn't report a missing person!

diego
12-07-2007, 01:44 PM
pop doesnt seem to think that inbounds play was illegal.

newbiefan
12-07-2007, 01:57 PM
pop doesnt seem to think that inbounds play was illegal.

that was my next statement????

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-07-2007, 05:19 PM
:lmao Pwned.