View Full Version : Coach’s Corner: Butch Beard on Jazz-Spurs-5 Things To Watch

duncan228
12-07-2007, 12:40 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/beardjazzspurs_071207.html

Coach’s Corner: Butch Beard on Jazz-Spurs
By Butch Beard

FIVE THINGS TO WATCH

1. Dueling Point Guards – Deron Williams vs. Tony Parker

Not only is this game a duel between two of the league’s best teams, but it’s also one between two of the most dynamic point guards. It is really going to be beautiful to watch Williams and Parker play this game tonight. Tony Parker has raised his game on offense, averaging a career best 20.8 points per game. Unfortunately, they won’t match up much on the defensive end, as I think Coach Popovich will use Bruce Bowen to guard Williams, similar to how he did in last year’s playoffs when he was having such a great series. Will Bowen be able to defend Williams and stop his dribble penetration? Whichever point guard can get his team in the right tempo is the team that is going to win.

2. The ability of Utah to pass the basketball

Utah is one of the top passing teams in the league (No. 2 in assists at 26.9 per game), and Deron Williams (8.9 apg) is a big part of that, as is Andrei Kirilenko (5.9 apg). He passes the ball extremely well for a big guy. Assuming Duncan doesn’t play, I think that San Antonio will double team Boozer some. If he doesn’t get the shot up right away on the low block, then he is going to have to make the correct pass out of the double team. That is going to be a big factor.

3. Will Utah go to Ronnie Brewer to try to see if they can make Tony Parker work on the defensive end?

Brewer is a kid who is starting to find his way in the NBA, having scored in double figures in 18 of his 19 games this season. He probably got lucky just for the mere fact that he was drafted by the Jazz. Of all the teams in the NBA, Coach Sloan’s team’s run an offense. In fact, that is what I like so much about Deron Williams – watching him run that offense. As a result, I would assume that they would work within the framework of that offense and try to get Brewer the ball, especially if Parker is going to guard him, since Brewer has a distinct size advantage at 6-foot-7 over the 6-foot-2 Parker.

4. Will Coach Popovich let his team play uptempo team with Parker pushing the ball, or will they be more conservative if Duncan doesn’t play?

I am not sure if Duncan will play, but if I am Coach Popovich I wouldn’t play him if he isn’t 100%, not after getting a big win versus Dallas on Wednesday night. If the Spurs had lost, then who knows. If Duncan doesn’t play, here is what you’re going to get from them – pick and pop or pick and roll by Parker and Ginobili. Then you are going to have Barry, Bowen and Finley just spotting up off dribble penetration shooting threes. San Antonio has an advantage there being a better three-point shooting team than Utah (41% to 36%). That is the way they beat Dallas. Without Duncan, they will go back to that because they don’t have an inside presence if he doesn’t play

5. The Spurs defense with Duncan vs. without Duncan

What happens on the defensive end for San Antonio is that Duncan more or less floats around. He is a great help defensive player and a great help defensive player who has a great understanding of when he can come and help and when he can come and try to block the shot from the weak side. That is something that is God given. If he plays, I don’t think San Antonio will double Boozer as much. I think they’ll let Oberto and Elson play him, and Timmy will come and help out occasionally. If Duncan doesn’t play, Oberto and Elson will have to stay out of foul trouble.

E20
12-08-2007, 12:52 AM
I guess they don't know who Manu Ginobili is. :blah

THE SIXTH MAN
12-08-2007, 12:53 AM
I guess they don't know who Manu Ginobili is. :blah
:lol If they don't know by now they better ask somebody!

SpurOutofTownFan
You know I think the main reason why this thread didn't have any responses until now is because of that. A very faint mention on Manu, that's all.

MaNuMaNiAc
so THAT's why Manu destroyed them! They wasn't watchin!!