PDA

View Full Version : Who is Portland going to target in the draft.

BacktoBasics
12-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Before I get started did any of you guys see how freakish Oden looked last night. I had heard he blew up but damn I didn't realize. I'll be honest he looked juiced.

Anyway it looks like the Blazers will be somewhere in the top 10 so what should they address? Any names stick out?

They got pretty much all the areas covered, bigs, smalls, good shooters, guys with touch around the basket. What should they address in the off season? I'm not even a Blazer fan but the development of this team intrigues me.

Medvedenko
12-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Get some veterans.....

JamStone
12-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah I agree, with all that young talent, what they need more than anything is a veteran leader to help control and direct all that wild youth. I think they should pursue Andre Miller heavily. While the youngsters grow up, Miller could provide that veteran leadership and help balance the offense and give them an immediate chance to contend not only for a playoff spot but to go deeper in the playoffs when Oden returns. I thought small forward would be an issue but the way Outlaw has improved his game, that looks covered adding Webster and James Jones to the mix. A back-up shooting guard along with Andre Miller next year, and I think they become instant contenders.

BacktoBasics
12-07-2007, 06:12 PM
perhaps they can work something out and package the pick and Miles together for a solid middle aged vet.

Bruno
12-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Portland biggest need is a starting caliber PG.

SpursIndonesia
12-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Has Jarret Jack regressed ? He was pretty good for them last year, wasn't he ?

tlongII
12-08-2007, 01:56 AM
I think Brandon Roy should play more point guard.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-08-2007, 01:59 AM
I think Brandon Roy should play more point guard.

I agree, but if the Blazers can get a serviceable PG, Roy at the 2 would be killer in that offense with Oden and Aldridge.

mystargtr34
12-08-2007, 02:21 AM
Derrick Rose wont be there... unless Blazers tank... out of the PG who could turn into something... theres probably just Ty Lawson and that Jerryd Bayless guy but they arent worth top 10 picks... and Lawson doesnt suit a half court game.

The Andre Miller option is a good one i think but i think they need a PG who can knock down the 3 ball... Brandon Roy handles the ball enough and the ball will be pounded inside.

mavs>spurs2
12-08-2007, 02:27 AM
Before I get started did any of you guys see how freakish Oden looked last night. I had heard he blew up but damn I didn't realize. I'll be honest he looked juiced.

Anyway it looks like the Blazers will be somewhere in the top 10 so what should they address? Any names stick out?

They got pretty much all the areas covered, bigs, smalls, good shooters, guys with touch around the basket. What should they address in the off season? I'm not even a Blazer fan but the development of this team intrigues me.

Pics anyone?

BacktoBasics
12-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Pics anyone?I looked but were unable to find anything

JMarkJohns
12-08-2007, 12:15 PM
The Blazers should target Derrick Rose high in the lottery and NC's Lawson low ijn the lottery and should keep an eye on UCLA's Collison as well.

They really do need a PG above all else. Rose would be ideal as he's a less of a head case version of Francis. Very unselfish, but a very good scorer.

Rose, Blake
Roy, Jack
Outlaw, Webster
Aldridge, Frye
Oden

That's a very good young team, especially when you throw in some of their late-round international picks.

JMarkJohns
12-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Derrick Rose wont be there... unless Blazers tank... out of the PG who could turn into something... theres probably just Ty Lawson and that Jerryd Bayless guy but they arent worth top 10 picks... and Lawson doesnt suit a half court game.

I didn't see your post. There's a decent chance the Blazers could land a top-7 pick, where they can package a future first with and move into the top-3 for a chance at Rose.

Lawson is a talent, but I'd rather have Collison over him.

Bayless is very unlikely to enter the NBA draft this year. He could, but he's said he'd like to be a top-5 pick and there are too many wings above him in this draft with Mayo, Rose, Gordon, etc...

I think Portland should trade whomever/whatever outside of their Roy/Frye/Aldridge/Oden core for a top-3 pick and Rose. Yes, even outlaw.

JamStone
12-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Jarred Bayless might declare as well.

But, as I mentioned earlier, they could probably use a more experienced point guard with some veteran savvy to help lead all of the young players. I would even go so far as saying that if they are a lottery team again, they should trade the pick in a package to get a veteran point guard. Andre Miller might be getting too old, but I think he still has at least 2-3 years left and he could help make them serious contenders in the west if and when Oden returns. If you're talking a little bit younger, they could possibly pursue guys like Mike Bibby or Jamaal Tinsley.

If they do get a good lottery pick and keep it, Rose would be the most ideal pick. But, again, I think that's too much youth and inexperience, especially once you talk about the point guard position.

JMarkJohns
12-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Problem with Bayless is he's not a true PG. I don't think he'll ever be. Save for the goofy shot form, I see Bayless as a more in control, better jumping Barbosa. He may have a little more PG potential than Leandro, but he's not a great PG prospect.

Not in my opinion, anyways. He's a very, very good talent and someone capable of running the point for stretches, but I don't think you want him as your starting PG. Even Arizona has abandoned that notion.

Also, I really don't see him leaving after this year. Only way he does is if this season goes poorly and Lute retires. As of right now, this season looks pretty promising, as does the potential return for Lute in 2008.