12-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Great job today

Huge props :smokin

gospursgooo
12-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Yes, I love Oberto too!

loveforthegame
12-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Oberto has been solid. You really can't ask much more from him.

mystargtr34
12-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Yep... turned the game around for us in the second

Slydragon
12-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Posted this in the game thread, "OH BOY Oberto" I say after he makes good plays.

http://www.mrcheapstuff.com/images/oberto_beef_jerky.jpg

m33p0
12-08-2007, 12:58 AM
if there's only a way we could graft elson's athleticism and quickness onto oberto, we'd be set at the center spot. :hungry:

urunobili
12-08-2007, 01:00 AM
i like him every time more and more... never thought he would become such a solid Spur

MaNuMaNiAc
12-08-2007, 01:02 AM
His rebounding today was absolutely enormous! My hats off to him

SouthernFried
12-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Oberto is solid. Bit small and not too athletic...but, as smart a big guy as there is in the league. He may not be able to stop a lot of guys...but, at least he's generally in the right position to try.

More than I can say for Elson and Bonner.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Oberto really really is valuable when he's needed. Remember when we were always crying about our weakness at the 5 spot??
He's cut down on a lot of that.

T Park
12-08-2007, 01:09 AM
The jumps that Oberto has made from 06, to 07, to now, is unreal.

Oberto was a huge reason for the win tonight with his rebounds and steals.

Oberto just busts his ass all night, gets in there, shoves guys around, dishes out hard fouls.

Hes easily becoming my favorite player on the squad.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-08-2007, 01:18 AM
The charge he drew on Boozer to help ice the game was as big as any play down the stretch. And picked up his rebounding against a team that rebounds as well as anyone in the league. He had as much to do with this win as any Spur not named Ginobili.

wildbill2u
12-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Oberto proves a smart team player without great physical skills can make major contributions to a team. I love to watch him slide around to get position against bigger and more athletic players.

peskypesky
12-08-2007, 01:56 AM
Yep, Oberto came up huge tonight. If only he were a few inches taller, we'd be totally set at the 5. We'll still be needing Elson when we play against teams with good tall centers....like Houston, Dallas, Orlando and Phoenix.

nfg3
12-08-2007, 02:03 AM
Smart and heady player. Works all the time and his chemistry with Manu usually gets us at least a couple of easy baskets per game. Very patience and makes a minumin amount of mistakes. Not the great athlete that everyone would prefer but gets the job done most of the time. But I especially like the fact that he plays within himself. Rarely if ever trys to do something he really is not capable of doing. He understands his role on the team and that makes him an invaluable player for the Spurs.

Dude rocks! :toast

E20
12-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Oberto played pretty well. The thing is he alwasy plays well/consistent, it often gets overlooked. He's kind of taken for granted.

All kidding aside, IMHO Oberto can carry a team. Same with that guy on the Rockets.

TwoHandJam
12-08-2007, 02:09 AM
Tonight again confirmed something I have long suspected about Oberto; more often than not, you can count on him to come up big in big games. For most regular season games that are relatively meaningless, he can sometimes dog it and conserve energy much like Horry does. However when it's a statement game or a playoff game, he'll bring a lot more focus and is usually a lot more productive. Props to him tonight.

SRJ
12-08-2007, 02:12 AM
Is there a smarter big outside of San Antonio than Oberto? (Tim is smart too, but he's in SA)

timvp
12-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Oberto is turning into a quintessential Spur. No style, all substance. He's playing really, really well as of late.

Like I said elsewhere, I think he's close to cementing his spot as the fifth best player on the team.

anakha
12-08-2007, 02:19 AM
How much is Oberto making this season again?

If there were a stat to measure production-salary ratio, he's gotta be up there among the league leaders.

Bruno
12-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Oberto is playing very smart this year, he has very few off nights and he is becoming a great role player. 66% from the field shows well that he rarely takes bad shots.
Huge props to him.

SAGambler
12-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Pop has always said that Oberto has the best ugly game of anyone he has ever seen.

He stated again last night that Oberto is a blue collar type guy, doing the dirty work and getting little notice for it.

Props to Oberto for a hell of a game last night.

wildchild
12-08-2007, 08:46 AM
He was the brain behind the party last night. Big hands, big tip, assist and steals. His passion was apparent to everybody. I love this guy. :clap

Sequtrans:Sa passion pour le jeu était évidente pour tout le monde.

AFBlue
12-08-2007, 10:36 AM
His solid play is masking the serious deficiency from the backup Center spot.

All things mentioned in this thread are spot on. Oberto is a heady player that knows where to be and creates easy scoring opportunities with his off-the-ball position. And when he gets his opportunity on offense, he seldom fails to deliver...as is noted by the 66% FG avg.

As long as he doesn't foul out, he should get the lion's share of the minutes on the frontline outside of Tim Duncan.

AFBlue
12-08-2007, 10:37 AM
How much is Oberto making this season again?

If there were a stat to measure production-salary ratio, he's gotta be up there among the league leaders.

Making a little over $3M I think.

Agree that the early returns on the contract he signed this off-season are promising.

AFBlue
12-08-2007, 10:40 AM
if there's only a way we could graft elson's athleticism and quickness onto oberto, we'd be set at the center spot. :hungry:

The hope is that the Spurs already got this guy....

His name is Tiago Splitter. By all accounts, he's an intelligent frontline role player with excellent quickness and athleticism.

He'll probably need some time to adjust and he most likely won't ever be a superstar....but he could be that combination of speed/quickness and heady play.

ancestron
12-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Oberto is definitely a great player.

manubili
12-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I really liked Tiago in the preolimpics. He gave Scola a lot of problems.

But he's more an Elson option rather than an Oberto sub. Oberto has a lot of intangibles and perfect chemistry with the other guys that's very difficult to match.

AFBlue
12-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I really liked Tiago in the preolimpics. He gave Scola a lot of problems.

But he's more an Elson option rather than an Oberto sub. Oberto has a lot of intangibles and perfect chemistry with the other guys that's very difficult to match.

I didn't say that Splitter would replace Oberto.

I was suggesting that the Spurs were going to bring a guy onboard that has the athleticism of Elson, but that displays a better understanding of the game.

I have no doubt that Oberto will be the starting center for a while and agree that he has a special chemistry with the other players...especially Duncan and Ginobili.

Bottom Line: I look for Splitter to be an "Elson Upgrade" rather than an "Elson Replacement".

mrsmaalox
12-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Oberto rocks!!!

Avitus1
12-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Nice to see him put in some good work.

boutons_
12-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Just imagine if we had landed Nocioni, also. Another tough, fearless blue-collar guy.

ArgSpursFan.
12-08-2007, 04:41 PM

Bottom Line: I look for Splitter to be an "Elson Upgrade" rather than an "Elson Replacement".

Oh,no doubt PHAT TONY,at this point anything will be an upgrade for Elson, even a bag of penuts.
But Splitter has great Chances to become the Spurs Starting Center when Oberto retires in a couple years. No doubt.

td4mvp21
12-08-2007, 05:46 PM
I used to not care for Oberto at all, but ever since late last season until now, I really like his play. I wish he was more of a presence in the paint, but he still plays good defense and he fits almost perfectly into the offense. He's a great hustler too and he can make the plays.

debo
12-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Oberto is just a slower, stronger, less range, less hops, no handles version of manu. There's not 1 thing to complain about when oberto is on the court because he hustles and busts his ass every play