PDA

View Full Version : Church of Elson

Amuseddaysleeper
12-08-2007, 12:14 AM
*crickets*

ShoogarBear
12-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Harsh. :lol

He had a few believers after he blocked Terry's shot.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-08-2007, 12:17 AM
yeah, true

but man, I was really hoping he'd show us something with TD being out, but his basketball IQ is just......wow sometimes.

whottt
12-08-2007, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't call it a church...

I just don't know what you guys expect for 2 mil a season...if he was consistent, he'd be making a lot more than 2 mil per season. And he wouldn't be a Spur.

exstatic
12-08-2007, 12:28 AM
He's a fantastic athlete with a passable jumper, but he has absolutely NO feel for the game. He's rarely in the right place on offense or defense, or ready for anything.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-08-2007, 12:34 AM
He's a fantastic athlete with a passable jumper, but he has absolutely NO feel for the game. He's rarely in the right place on offense or defense, or ready for anything.

:tu

whottt
12-08-2007, 12:36 AM
I sitll like him and think he's a good guy to have on the team.

Oberto is capable of impacting a game without showing much in the stat department and despite a lack of athleticism...because he's a smart.

Elson is capable of impacting a game without showing much in the stat department and despite being a dumbass...because he's athletic....and fucking fast.

I'll take him on this team for 2 mil a season :tu

I know you guys want All Stars 1-15...but I suggest you want in one hand and take a crap in the other and see which one fills up faster.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Elson is a good player overall. He makes mistakes like anyone else. I think Pop likes his poise and probably locker's contribution. You never know. There must be a strong reason why he is in the team otehr than just BB IQ

SenorSpur
12-08-2007, 12:41 AM
I sitll like him and think he's a good guy to have on the team.

Oberto is capable of impacting a game without showing much in the stat department and despite a lack of athleticism...because he's a smart.

Elson is capable of impacting a game without showing much in the stat department and despite being a dumbass...because he's athletic....and fucking fast.

I'll take him on this team for 2 mil a season :tu

I know you guys want All Stars 1-15...but I suggest you want in one hand and take a crap in the other and see which one fills up faster.

I agree. I know there are those who believe this is or should be Elson's last year with the team. But I say the guy has value and more upside. No one could have made that late-game block on Terry the other night but Elson.

Still needs to get his defensive rotations down cold, but he has skills no other big on this team has.

mystargtr34
12-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Elson is actually worse than his stats indicate...

If he finishes with 2 points and 2 boards... its the equivalent of Oberto finishing with -3 points and -3 boards.

m33p0
12-08-2007, 12:43 AM

more like a prayer meeting or a bible study :lol

whottt
12-08-2007, 12:45 AM
He's better than his stats indicate...he disrupts the crap out of anything the other team does offensively, even when he is completely lost...because he's so fast.

Elson has the ability to guard anyone on the floor 1-5 - Coach Mike Budenholzer after the Dallas Game.

He's an uncommonly talented bigman...

Obstructed_View
12-08-2007, 12:48 AM
:lol Yeah, what a shitty player. He can't even put up numbers against Dirk and Boozer.

Slydragon
12-08-2007, 12:57 AM
He was so lost today, Someone needs to draw him a map with crayons.

RC's Boss
12-08-2007, 01:00 AM
The church has lost all its members

SouthernFried
12-08-2007, 01:03 AM
I don't say this much...especially abou Spurs players.

But, Elson is horrible.

Bonner's D ain't much better...but,At least he can hit an occassional outside shot and contribute a little something.

T Park
12-08-2007, 01:07 AM
I see amused can't find anything to bitch about the team, Tony Parker, or Popovich, so hes turned his bitching to Francisco.

Congrats amused for being the most miserable fan of a 17-3 team :tu

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-08-2007, 01:09 AM
How does Elson speak 5 languages and he can't even do a basic pick and roll?
That's what's a mystery to me.

"Isn't this guy multi-lingual?" is what comes to mind during his mental lapses

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-08-2007, 01:09 AM
I see amused can't find anything to bitch about the team, Tony Parker, or Popovich, so hes turned his bitching to Francisco.

Congrats amused for being the most miserable fan of a 17-3 team :tu
Where did that come from?

T Park
12-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Where did what come from?

This guy is constantly in here bitching about something.

The dude is never happy.

ShoogarBear
12-08-2007, 01:12 AM
FWIW, whottt is right. Compare him to any other center you're going to get for $2 million.

T Park
12-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Elson for 2 million >>>>> Rasho at 8 million

T Park
12-08-2007, 01:14 AM
BTW

tonight Rasho would've put up 2 and 2 and youd sit there going, fuck we paid 8 mill for this?

Or you could have Elson. Who once in a while will do some stuff ok, but puts up the same numbers as Rasho, but at 2 million.

Score one for the front office again.

ChumpDumper
12-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Believe.

slayermin
12-08-2007, 01:20 AM
Fran had a nice post move in the 1st half. A little running hook similar to the way TD shoots it. He is fast. Can he morph it into quick?

Amuseddaysleeper
12-08-2007, 01:20 AM
Where did what come from?

This guy is constantly in here bitching about something.

The dude is never happy.

Could you please do me a favor and link me to the last thread where I bitched about the Spurs as a whole?

Just do me that one favor.

Ever since they managed to win it all last year, after having an iffy-ish season (by SA standards) I haven't made a SINGLE thead bitching about them.

Even this thread was to be taken in jest, as oppose to an angry Anti-Elson tirade.

So seriously T Park, give it a rest.

While I have no doubt that I was one of the more pessimistic posters and maybe complain about certain things here or there, I haven't bitched nearly as much in the last year as you may believe.

And the reason for that?

Well damn, starting off 17-3 and still having a lot of room for improvement on the defensive end makes it tough to bitch.

T Park
12-08-2007, 01:24 AM
I haven't made a SINGLE thead bitching about them.

until tonight.

Spurminator
12-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Gotta hate somebody.

m33p0
12-08-2007, 01:26 AM
That's what's a mystery to me.

"Isn't this guy multi-lingual?" is what comes to mind during his mental lapses

i think that's the reason right there. he has 5 different ways to say to himself "Switch, you moron!" and has to go through all five languages to get it through. :lol

can't deny, he does comes up with the occasional gem and that he's freaking fast and long.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-08-2007, 01:28 AM
until tonight.
:dramaquee

once again, this thread was more of a joke, but clearly that went over your head.

Keep trying, though.

wildbill2u
12-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Soometimes Elson just wanders around the paint looking for something to do and by the time he figures it out, it's past him. On the other hand, sometimes when he's wandering around he gets in the way of the other team's play.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Soometimes Elson just wanders around the paint looking for something to do and by the time he figures it out, it's past him. On the other hand, sometimes when he's wandering around he gets in the way of the other team's play.

That's why people like Horry are so valuable. Even if he's out of shape, his basketball IQ is so strong it makes up for lack of skill in other departments.

Elson may be a great athlete, but in his second year with the team, he looks just as lost as ever.

I understand his price tag is very modest, but it actually feels like he hurts the team on most nights than he helps them.

SenorSpur
12-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Which is why he's not in the game in the 4th quarter. Elson's performance at the end of the Mavs game served as a footnote and a micro-summary of his tenure with the Spurs. Promise & potential mixed with confusion and stupidity. He makes a wonderful block, then on the next play loses his man and gives up a wide open, potential game-winning 3-pointer. Dirk hits that shot and I guarantee we're all still crucifying Elson today. He really makes you scratch your head and wonder why he's not producing more.

WalterBenitez
12-08-2007, 07:06 AM

I just don't know what you guys expect for 2 mil a season...if he was consistent, he'd be making a lot more than 2 mil per season. And he wouldn't be a Spur.

I do agree, but ...

Elson = Nazr x 10 + Rasho x 20

AFBlue
12-08-2007, 10:27 AM

It's three million dude, three million.

Which, coincidentally is about what Oberto is making.

Argument lost.

Still, I don't blame the Spurs for making the move to get him. They made great moves to trade Rasho and let Nazr walk for rediculously more than he was worth. Then they snagged Elson....a guy who had a different skill set from any big the Spurs had before with his speed, length, and decent mid-range game.

Sometimes, it just doesn't work out the way you'd envision.

Elson hasn't made effective use of his speed on fastbreak opportunities, hasn't used his length effectively on defense (except in the Dallas game), and hasn't employed the mid-range jumper enough to be an effective threat. Add to that his extremely sub-standard BBIQ and you've got a player that just didn't work out.

Let's hope that next year either Mahinmi or Splitter can exceed expectations set for the backup Center spot framed by Elson....they're pretty low, so it shouldn't be hard.

SAGambler
12-08-2007, 10:40 AM
I think we may see the value of Elson to this team when we play Phoenix. Oberto can't keep up in a run and gun game, like I know we are going to play with the Suns. Elson can. And since we know there will be little to no defense played in these games with Phoenix, his head scratching on where to be defensively shouldn't matter.

What will matter will be the ability to get up and down the court and snag rebounds.

If he makes a difference just in the Phoenix games alone this year, he will be worth every cent we are paying him.

exstatic
12-08-2007, 10:46 AM
FWIW, whottt is right. Compare him to any other center you're going to get for $2 million.
'Tiago (rookie late first contract) >>>>>>>> Elson

:smokin

exstatic
12-08-2007, 10:48 AM
I think we may see the value of Elson to this team when we play Phoenix. Oberto can't keep up in a run and gun game, like I know we are going to play with the Suns. Elson can. And since we know there will be little to no defense played in these games with Phoenix, his head scratching on where to be defensively shouldn't matter.

What will matter will be the ability to get up and down the court and snag rebounds.

If he makes a difference just in the Phoenix games alone this year, he will be worth every cent we are paying him.
Phoenix 2007 WCFs numbers:
Oberto 13.7 minutes
Elson 11.0 minutes
Small ball - the rest

Somehow, we survived with Oberto eating more minutes than Elson.

Bruno
12-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Elson was plain awful against jazz. It was one of his worst game ever played with Spurs.

Now, you had to put thing in perspective.
The nba is full of bad 7 footers. There are very few players with size and talent. Elson isn't a good players but he is sometimes useful and he has the edge to be cheap. $3M per year isn't that cheap. What is cheap is that Spurs offered him only a 2 years contract. Elson is still an expiring contract. If he doesn't show enough things this year, he will be gone next summer and won't hurt Spurs' salary cap state.
Until then, Elson remains at worse an end of the bench player who could bring sometimes a good spark from the bench with his athleticism in certain matchups (like during last year playoffs).

AFBlue
12-08-2007, 10:55 AM

Great teams dictate the pace of the game.

While there will certainly be some running and gunning in these games, I would look for the Spurs to get back in transition and stop the fastbreak opportunities for the Suns.

They'll concentrate on stopping Steve Nash's penetrate-and-kick game, and they'll make Stoudemire beat them in the half-court set. The other frontcourt player not named Duncan will be charged with limiting Stoudemire, and my guess is they'll go with heavy doses of Oberto as long as he doesn't get into foul trouble.

Bottom Line: Your notion that the Spurs are just going to concede the Suns scoring 130+ and playing no defense is rediculous.

And, while Elson has a different skill set than Oberto, he is a matchup problem for NO ONE because he doesn't take advantage of that skill set on O or D.

AFBlue
12-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Elson was plain awful against jazz. It was one of his worst game ever played with Spurs.

Now, you had to put thing in perspective.
The nba is full of bad 7 footers. There are very few players with size and talent. Elson isn't a good players but he is sometimes useful and he has the edge to be cheap. $3M per year isn't that cheap. What is cheap is that Spurs offered him only a 2 years contract. Elson is still an expiring contract. If he doesn't show enough things this year, he will be gone next summer and won't hurt Spurs' salary cap state.
Until then, Elson remains at worse an end of the bench player who could bring sometimes a good spark from the bench with his athleticism in certain matchups (like during last year playoffs).

Note that two potential replacements to Elson are already in the Spurs' system and that their collective salaries are roughly half of Elson's current salary.

Bruno
12-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Note that two potential replacements to Elson are already in the Spurs' system and that their collective salaries are roughly half of Elson's current salary.

It's called rookie scale.
And when you think about next year roster, don't forget that Spurs likely won't have only three vet PF/C (Duncan, Bonner and Oberto) next year.

Bottom line : Spurs will sign a vet PF/C this summer. It could be Horry, a FA or even Elson. Elson gone at the end of the year isn't a sure thing.

exstatic
12-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Bottom line : Spurs will sign a vet PF/C this summer. It could be Horry, a FA or even Elson. Elson gone at the end of the year isn't a sure thing.
With their salary structure, and the fact that they HAVE two young'uns in the pipeline, I would think that adding a young(er) wing to replace Fin/Barry might be the priority.

ss1986v2
12-08-2007, 11:50 AM
With their salary structure, and the fact that they HAVE two young'uns in the pipeline, I would think that adding a young(er) wing to replace Fin/Barry might be the priority.
no doubt, but dont think they wont also bring in another big also. with elson and horry (possibly) on the way out, and tiago coming over, that still leaves one spot left. even if its a vet min or LLE kind of player, the spurs will be looking at that as well.

SenorSpur
12-08-2007, 12:09 PM
no doubt, but dont think they wont also bring in another big also. with elson and horry (possibly) on the way out, and tiago coming over, that still leaves one spot left. even if its a vet min or LLE kind of player, the spurs will be looking at that as well.

Unless a better option becomes available, they could just keep Elson another year. Hell, he already knows the system. Get the wing player in here QUICK.

AFBlue
12-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Unless a better option becomes available, they could just keep Elson another year. Hell, he already knows the system. Get the wing player in here QUICK.

Elson has been in the system for over a season, but I think he proves night in and night out that he truly doesn't "know" the system at all.

Also, I wonder if he would take a one-year deal for similar/less money than he's getting right now.

To me, it makes sense to bring in a veteran for the minimum (i.e. Kurt Thomas) who could play solid minutes if asked, but would be okay in a reserve role in case the young guys develop sooner than expected.

AFBlue
12-08-2007, 12:31 PM

It should...but I think they'll accomplish both, especially if Horry retires.

If it were me, I'd do just what you said...

I'd focus on getting a wing player to replace fin/barry (i.e. Childress, Smith, Pietrus, Gomes, Wright, etc.) and then picking up a 6th center for the vet min. A guy I mentioned in the previous post seems to make alot of sense...Kurt Thomas.

Thomas knows how to play defense (one of Duncan's toughest matchups), can hit a reliable baseline 15ft shot, and would probably come on the cheap as he is getting up there in age and would probably like a ring.

Keep in mind, the Spurs almost traded for this guy a few years back, so there's probably interest.

Bruno
12-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Kurt Thomas market value is way higher than the minimum or the LLE. the only thing you can hope is that he does like Grant Hill and sign below his market value with a contender to have a shot for a ring.

Bottom line: stop dreaming.

bigfan
12-08-2007, 12:37 PM
To me the toughest problem with Elson is that when I watch him he looks like he has all the right tools; he is tall, damn fast, can rebound and can shoot. He can also make an occasional vicious dunk! Its maybe gonna take more time is all I can think of, hopefully he can get it together this season or Im afraid Mahinimi/Splitter are going to take him off the roster one way or another.

T Park
12-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah if they could trade Elson to get Kurt Thomas that would be great.

Thomas would be fantastic on the Spurs.

Bruno
12-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Anyway, it's too soon to have a clear idea of what Spurs will do next summer. There are just too much unknowns for the moment.

288pipi
12-08-2007, 12:49 PM
his moving is very good,especially in the fast quick

exstatic
12-08-2007, 12:49 PM

Elson - $3M
KT - $8M

AFBlue
12-08-2007, 01:38 PM
edit: delete

AFBlue
12-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Kurt Thomas market value is way higher than the minimum or the LLE. the only thing you can hope is that he does like Grant Hill and sign below his market value with a contender to have a shot for a ring.

Bottom line: stop dreaming.

First of all....mimicking me on the "bottom line" makes you look like an idiot.

Secondly, I don't see how a 35yr old udersized center that is a default starter on a sorry team should expect anywhere near the MLE, let alone the $8M he's currently getting. Maybe he is a $3M, one-year deal...but I'd take him at that price over Elson at that price ANY DAY.

Lastly, I don't think it's out of the realm of possiblity that Kurt Thomas would sign for LLE/vet min to play for a contender.

No bottom line needed....

Bruno
12-08-2007, 02:46 PM
First of all....mimicking me on the "bottom line" makes you look like an idiot.

Mimicking something stupid makes you look stupid. :)

Secondly, I don't see how a 35yr old udersized center that is a default starter on a sorry team should expect anywhere near the MLE, let alone the $8M he's currently getting. Maybe he is a $3M, one-year deal...but I'd take him at that price over Elson at that price ANY DAY.

If Aaron Williams at 35 can get the LLE, Kurt Thomas at 36 can get more.
The fact that Thomas value is at $3M, $4M or $5M isn't that important. What is important is that his value is higher than the LLE and that Spurs have only one MLE. You can't sign both the SG/SF you want and who will cost a big part of the MLE and Kurt Thomas. Re-signing Elson has the edge to let the whole MLE for a SG/SF.

Lastly, I don't think it's out of the realm of possiblity that Kurt Thomas would sign for LLE/vet min to play for a contender.

Of course, it's not of the realm of possibility but players signing for less than their market value isn't the rule in nba. If Spurs let Elson go and sign a vet for the min/LLE, he likely won't be as good as Thomas.

Let's imagine this scenario for next summer :
- Horry retires.
- Mahinmi isn't ready to contribute.
- Spurs spend the whole MLE on a SG/SF.
- No great opportunities like Kurt Thomas for the min/LLE available.
- Elson had a so-so second year with Spurs (quite similar to his first year with Spurs).

These assumptions aren't that unrealistic. In this scenario, re-signing Elson to something like a $5M/2 years contract isn't a that bad idea given that I'm not sure you can find a better player for the min/LLE.

SenorSpur
12-08-2007, 04:36 PM

Would love Kurt Thomas on this team. Better than average defender. Superior rebounder with the right type of mindset. An excellent option. Probably a bit too expensive for the Spurs tastes, though.

ArgSpursFan.
12-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Elson Sucks.

exstatic
12-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Mimicking something stupid makes you look stupid. :)

If Aaron Williams at 35 can get the LLE, Kurt Thomas at 36 can get more.
The fact that Thomas value is at $3M, $4M or $5M isn't that important. What is important is that his value is higher than the LLE and that Spurs have only one MLE. You can't sign both the SG/SF you want and who will cost a big part of the MLE and Kurt Thomas. Re-signing Elson has the edge to let the whole MLE for a SG/SF.

Of course, it's not of the realm of possibility but players signing for less than their market value isn't the rule in nba. If Spurs let Elson go and sign a vet for the min/LLE, he likely won't be as good as Thomas.

Let's imagine this scenario for next summer :
- Horry retires.
- Mahinmi isn't ready to contribute.
- Spurs spend the whole MLE on a SG/SF.
- No great opportunities like Kurt Thomas for the min/LLE available.
- Elson had a so-so second year with Spurs (quite similar to his first year with Spurs).

These assumptions aren't that unrealistic. In this scenario, re-signing Elson to something like a $5M/2 years contract isn't a that bad idea given that I'm not sure you can find a better player for the min/LLE.
Did you forget Tiago Splitter? His buyout is rumored to be VERY reasonable next summer, and his salary will be cheap as a late first rd. pick. I'd say he'll come in and just devour Elson's 18 minutes. He can't be any worse in our system than Cisco will be after two years. Best to start him on his learning curve in '08 than to waste another year or two on a thirty-something Elson.

No need to rush Mahinmi. He can do a year on the bench, or another one shuttling between SA and Austin, if need be.

Bruno
12-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Did you forget Tiago Splitter? His buyout is rumored to be VERY reasonable next summer, and his salary will be cheap as a late first rd. pick.

I didn't forget Splitter. Splitter will sign for sure with Spurs this summer because if eh doesn't sign with Spurs this summer, his euro contract will be automatically extended.

Spurs will likely have Duncan, Oberto, Bonner, Splitter and Mahinmi as PF/C under contract next year. I think Pop will want to add another vet because 3 vets PF/C is not enough for a contender.

ArgSpursFan.
12-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Elson Sucks

ancestron
12-10-2007, 04:20 PM
At least he isn't wearing that ridiculous looking mask anymore.

Obstructed_View
12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Were you guys watching the game or just following the box score? He played pretty good defense on Mehmet Okur, and did as well as anyone did against Boozer. If you were going to bad mouth him for a defensive breakdown, and you didn't say anything after he left Dirk wide open for a game winning three, then you missed the fuckin' bus. If you are bad mouthing him because he doesn't put up stats, then you're just a dope.

ancestron
12-10-2007, 05:42 PM
:drunk I dig Elson. Like our esteemed colleague pointed out earlier in the thread, he is good, especially in the fast quick....

We born to be bad
12-12-2007, 08:58 AM

I don't think so. My best friend (Suns fans too) couldn't stop herself laughing. We don't remember any good play of Elson last playoffs but I was impressed by Oberto. He was very well guarding Amare. He drew Amare's foul and it out of him. And now he's becoming more confident?. Good for him.
sadly Oberto>Skinner Elson