PDA

View Full Version : Now Please STOP the Bonner Bashing !

Sweetey
12-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks.

Guajalote
12-08-2007, 12:56 AM
I wasn't so sold on him before. Too much iron in his shot.

But tonight was a different story. And not so much because of his point production. I can see why Pop likes him. He's one of those guys like Oberto. He is constantly battling with bigs underneath, swatting offensive rebounds out, and altering shots.

Nice game tonight.

loveforthegame
12-08-2007, 12:58 AM
This is how I envisioned Bonner contributing. Hit a few 3 point shots, hustle, grab/tap for rebounds, and play some decent defense. I was happy with his play tonight and hope he gets back on track.

mystargtr34
He hit a couple of important jumpers today from the corner... he did well

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
His hustle made up for everything else tonight. If he and Vaughn are the worst players on our team, we're in a good position, because this team this year (and last year) has had heart from top to bottom.

vander
12-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks.

Bonner is my favorite NBA player right now, I could never bash him. he's like me in pick up games: good size, a good 3 point shot, but performance dependent on level of confidence, which it a bigger problem then it should be.

BonnerDynasty
12-08-2007, 01:00 AM
He still looks a little lost on the offensive side when he is not parked outside the arc. I can't tell if it is because Parker/Manu are constantly driving to the basket at different angles and he is having to constantly adjust or what. Also, if he could get an iso with a clumsy big man outside the arc I bet he could take him to the hole more often than not. He's already done it a couple times this year.

Of course he is nothing special on defense but with Tim we will be alright. He should definitely be good for some muscled out offensive rebounds come playoff time. Not anywhere as effective as Oberto's offensive rebounding but still very helpful.

Is Bonner the fastest big man we have? He looks like he can sprint down the floor hella fast.

Demo Dick Marcinko
12-08-2007, 01:05 AM
He still looks a little lost on the offensive side when he is not parked outside the arc. I can't tell if it is because Parker/Manu are constantly driving to the basket at different angles and he is having to constantly adjust or what.

Of course he is nothing special on defense but with Tim we will be alright.

Is Bonner the fastest big man we have? He looks like he can sprint down the floor hella fast.

I'm quickly getting over the post Luis Scola Blues. I'm really starting to like Bonner. He does alot of the little things well, always hustles, and from time to time will hit the big shot on a timely basis. Neither Bonner nor Scola are going to be making the all star team in the near future, but I really like what Bonner brings to the team. Maybe the F.O. knows more then us posters after all. Time will tell.

SouthernFried
12-08-2007, 01:13 AM
You gotta be kidding me.

Yes, he made some nice shots...props to him for that.

But, did you notice all the points in the paint when either he or Elson was out there? Bonner is almost as bad as Elson on D. I mean, he can't guard anyone, the time he was isolated one on one, 15 feet from the basket, he got dunked on.

The fact he can spread opponents D when he's on offense, is the only reason I'd choose him over Elson.

Plus, I really like Bonner :)

T Park
12-08-2007, 01:16 AM
But, did you notice all the points in the paint when either he or Elson was out there? Bonner is almost as bad as Elson on D. I mean, he can't guard anyone, the time he was isolated one on one, 15 feet from the basket, he got dunked on.

I guess you didn't pay much attention to his good defense on Mehmet Okur in the second half.

Sweetey
12-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Bonner is my favorite NBA player right now, I could never bash him. he's like me in pick up games: good size, a good 3 point shot, but performance dependent on level of confidence, which it a bigger problem then it should be.
I agree that he needs to build up his confidence level. I think Pop is helping him with that right now. Red is only gonna get better and better as the season goes on.

T Park
12-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Bonner hit some big shots tonight.

The sideline jumper to give em the lead, and the FT to ice the game.

IMO Bonner and Oberto were studs tonight.

Between the two of em you had 17 points and 15 rebounds.

:tu

SouthernFried
12-08-2007, 01:23 AM
I guess you didn't pay much attention to his good defense on Mehmet Okur in the second half.

I guess you didn't notice that Finley, the rebounding machine, had more rebounds than Bonner...in less minutes played.

Still, Bonner had 2 more rebounds than Elson.

Finley - 5 Rebounds 28:58 minutes
Bonner & Elson - 6 Rebounds 48:96 minutes

Fucking ridiculous stat

T Park
12-08-2007, 01:25 AM
I guess you didn't notice that Finley, the rebounding machine, had more rebounds than Bonner...in less minutes played

Hard to get rebounds when you guard a big that sits outside the three point line all night.

Vinny Del Negro
12-08-2007, 01:25 AM
I still think he bleeds marshmallows.

SouthernFried
12-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Yes...very hard for Bonner and Elson to get rebounds...that much is true. lol

T Park
12-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Yes...very hard for Bonner and Elson to get rebounds...that much is true. lol

Way to totally avoid the facts.

Sweetey
12-08-2007, 01:29 AM
I still think he bleeds marshmallows.
Ummmmm, I bet his lips feel like marshmallows too ! Sure like to find out for myself. (And I AM female.)

SouthernFried
12-08-2007, 01:29 AM
I gave the numbers...those are the facts

BonnerDynasty
12-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Fuck Stats. He disrupted Boozer getting a huge off rebound/putback at the end of the game which allowed Ginobili to get the defensive rebound under the basket.

cherylsteele
12-08-2007, 01:37 AM
I gave the numbers...those are the facts
God, I hate people who look at stats and then judge a player based solely on them. There are intangibles you know.

peskypesky
12-08-2007, 01:38 AM
I've always like Bonner, despite all the naysayers. He reminds me somewhat of players like Malik Rose and David Lee (Knicks). Not the most physically gifted guys, but they play with heart and they'll do the dirty work. Bonner can also hit the occasional outside shot, and I think he's actually a pretty good interior defender. His lateral movement is limited, so he sucks if he gets isolated too far away from the basket. But in close, he knows how to defend without fouling. I've seen it time and time again. I'm glad he's on the team and I hope the increased minutes will help him gain confidence.

wildbill2u
12-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Bonner doesn't have the knack of getting position for offensive rebounds like Oberto but he's hustling and trying to rebound, even if its over the back. Sometimes he's out of position or doesn't make the rotation, but He'll get better on defense because he tries so hard.

I thought he was supposed to be a better shooter than I've seen so far, but he's OK.

SRJ
12-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Strength-wise, he could use some. Bonner had inside position against Okur on FT attempts and Okur pushed him around like he was Tyronne Lue.

peskypesky
12-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Strength-wise, he could use some. Bonner had inside position against Okur on FT attempts and Okur pushed him around like he was Tyronne Lue.

Totally. It was sort of sad seeing him get pushed around....He needs strength training.

Sweetey
12-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Totally. It was sort of sad seeing him get pushed around....He needs strength training.
More self-confidence would help a lot. He's a little too intimidated. But he'll get better with each game.

nkdlunch
12-08-2007, 02:00 AM
Boner is the boomdiggidy

Bruno
12-08-2007, 07:23 AM
The Bonner bashing has been that big because of Scola's angry fans.
Bonner has been good against Utah but you had to admit that he has been quite bad this season so far. Now, it's up to Bonner to continue to play well. Bonner with his hustling, decent defense and shooting touch is easily worth $3M per year.

SAGambler
12-08-2007, 08:27 AM
His hustle made up for everything else tonight. If he and Vaughn are the worst players on our team, we're in a good position, because this team this year (and last year) has had heart from top to bottom.

Even JV seems to have settled down some and is producing. I always gritted my teeth when he was on the floor, because I always thought he was an offensive liability. He is starting to make me believe now that he can contribute. So yep, after last night if JV and MB are our "worst" players, the Spurs are in one hell of a good position to repeat.

ArgSpursFan.
12-08-2007, 08:43 AM
One hit wonders.!!

Guajalote
12-08-2007, 09:25 AM
The Jazz game was a lot like the playoffs last year with Oberto for me.

I wasn't sold on him until I really started watching the intangibles that he does.

Bonner did well and hopefully he'll keep contributing like he is (with or without points).

G-Nob
12-08-2007, 10:37 AM
I would like to take back my Bonner comments of the last week.

I'm sorry, Matt.

The Truth #6
12-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Bonner hustles, which is cool, but he plays like a chicken with its head cut off at times. I don't think he plays with poise or confidence yet. His last 3pt attempt missed way more than any of his other shots. He's probably really nervous out there. Hopefully that will change and he will fee like he belongs out there. I think he knows what his niche is, yet he hasn't embraced it enough to get the most out of his talent.

my2sons
12-08-2007, 10:44 AM
I guess you didn't notice that Finley, the rebounding machine, had more rebounds than Bonner...in less minutes played.

Still, Bonner had 2 more rebounds than Elson.

Finley - 5 Rebounds 28:58 minutes
Bonner & Elson - 6 Rebounds 48:96 minutes

Fucking ridiculous stat

I guess you didn't notice that to offensive taps to teamates weren't counted as offensive rebounds but just as effective.

Demo Dick Marcinko
12-09-2007, 05:13 AM
Gheyness confirmed

What does it say about you being a knicks fan?

Losing is for the weak and feeble minded!