PDA

View Full Version : The NBA must be sick

tmtcsc
12-08-2007, 09:32 AM
You have to think that the rest of the NBA teams must be sick watching what the Spurs have been able to do WITHOUT Tim these last 2 games.

It's really unusual to see the Spurs playing so well this early. Can they keep it going all year ? When will the slump come ? I'm actually a little thrown off by this.

Perhaps its the returning roster that has us looking in late season form. Sheesh, Robert really hasn't gotten back to full strength yet either.

:cooldevil

SAGambler
12-08-2007, 09:35 AM
You have to think that the rest of the NBA teams must be sick watching what the Spurs have been able to do WITHOUT Tim these last 2 games.

It's really unusual to see the Spurs playing so well this early. Can they keep it going all year ? When will the slump come ? I'm actually a little thrown off by this.

Perhaps its the returning roster that has us looking in late season form. Sheesh, Robert really hasn't gotten back to full strength yet either.

:cooldevil

And if the Spurs don't have 3 players at the All Star game, I think we should all be pissed.

These guys are playing every bit as good as the year the Pistons started off hot and got 4 guys selected.

m33p0
12-08-2007, 09:52 AM
after the phoenix game on the 17th, its relatively light work for the team. i wouldn't be surprised if pop decides to sacrifice a few games against lottery teams.

i think the rejuvanation of the celtics and the constant whining from phoenix has fueled the team's competitive spirit. and this year, they know for certain, that tony and manu can win games without tim. this would have to put a few wrinkles on their game plan.

ancestron
12-08-2007, 10:50 AM
I am thinking this might be the season where theories, expectations, trends, doubts, etc. are just completely obliterated by a Spurs team that has achieved a state of basketball nirvana, winning 70+ games and crushing all doubts of whether or not they are a dynasty by dominating the league even more than they have in the past.
I think all the chatter around last years championship and whether or not it was legit or this and that sorta pissed the Spurs off, more than they would ever let be known.
maybe 2008 is the year the Spurs get EVEN.

SouthernFried
12-08-2007, 10:57 AM
You gotta love watching the Spurs right now.

But, you gotta be a little concerned too. All of our Big 3 are now hurting a little. And it's super early in the season.

I love this start, been a lotta fun. I love championships more tho. I like it when the Spurs are under the radar...I think. Mebbe it's just because I've just gotten used to it over the years. I dunno.

Stay healthy.

td4mvp3
12-08-2007, 11:01 AM
i just like the idea that the spurs can get better. i think boston is at its peak, which is a good peak by any standards. but the spurs have doing pretty well and still haven't demonstrated the kind of defense they hang their hat on.

TampaDude
12-08-2007, 11:07 AM
When the Spurs are healthy and firing on all cylinders, and not making stupid mistakes...in other words, playing Spurs basketball...there is no other team in the NBA that can beat them in a seven-game series...not even the Celtics or the Magic. The only team that can beat the Spurs is the Spurs.

efrem1
12-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Many of the NBA teams will accuse the Spurs of filming their time out huddles with an overhead camera, fine the team and Pop and then Pop goes Bellichik and beats every team by 30 points :)

TampaDude
12-08-2007, 11:35 AM
May the NBA teams will accuse the Spurs of filming their time out huddles with an overhead camera, fine the team and Pop and then Pop goes Bellichik and beats every team by 30 points :)

:lmao

td4mvp21
12-08-2007, 12:50 PM
The scary thing is our defense isn't even where it should be yet.

Demo Dick Marcinko
12-08-2007, 01:56 PM
The scary thing is our defense isn't even where it should be yet.

There's a saying that goes; "We ain't where we wanna be, we ain't where we're gonna be, but thank the lord we ain't where we used to be!"

Every game that goes by, without Tim included I see the Spurs defense doing the Tightening Up, for those old school who remember the song. Anyways their rotations, especially in the 2nd half have been almost suffocating. They're looking alot better and they've come a long way, but their journey ain't near finished. As they keep improving on the defensive end and they keep their current offensive output, heaven help the rest of the league.

Vingianx
12-08-2007, 03:03 PM
heaven help the rest of the league.

amen

lefty
12-08-2007, 03:12 PM
When the Spurs are healthy and firing on all cylinders, and not making stupid mistakes...in other words, playing Spurs basketball...there is no other team in the NBA that can beat them in a seven-game series...not even the Celtics or the Magic. The only team that can beat the Spurs is the Spurs.

ditto

ShoogarBear
12-08-2007, 03:20 PM
The Spurs are going to come back down to earth. They've benefitted from a favorable home-road split (12H vs. 8R, compared to PHX's 8H to 12R). Still, on offense they're on autopilot as never before, and we can expect the defense to turn around in a couple of months.

BonnerDynasty
12-08-2007, 03:24 PM
It's because we are so deep, have the same team, and Tony/Manu can drive to the lane at will 95% of the time so far. Once we actually play 48 mins of defense toward the end of the season, watch out :dizzy

VaSpursFan
12-08-2007, 04:07 PM
There's a saying that goes; "We ain't where we wanna be, we ain't where we're gonna be, but thank the lord we ain't where we used to be!"

Every game that goes by, without Tim included I see the Spurs defense doing the Tightening Up, for those old school who remember the song. Anyways their rotations, especially in the 2nd half have been almost suffocating. They're looking alot better and they've come a long way, but their journey ain't near finished. As they keep improving on the defensive end and they keep their current offensive output, heaven help the rest of the league.

ITA...their defense in the second half of the Utah game was damn near perfect. the cut off the pick and roll and those backdoors that brewer was getting earlier in the game.

debo
12-08-2007, 04:10 PM
as soon as bowen and finley get into a groove, im gonna need to change my pants at halftime of everygame.

missmyzte
12-08-2007, 05:06 PM
It doesn't really matter if the Spurs win 70 games. If winning 70 games means not taking care of nagging injuries and risking the post-season, it's not worth it. I'd be much happier with a good 55-win season and then sweeping the post-season. Now that would be an accomplishment.

nfg3
12-08-2007, 05:57 PM
I really don't see us winning 70 or more. Even 65+ might be a stretch, too. We'll hit a slump and lose a few to teams we should have beaten. Pop has never really cared about the W/L record in the sense of a goal - win X number of games to have a successful season. He wants to win enough games to get good seeding going into the post season but focusing on peaking towards the end of the season IMO.
Our D isn't anywhere near what I expect come late in the season. Kinda makes me giddy just thinking how good we are going to be later. So if many teams are sick now they may need to invest in a lot more air sickness bags. It's only gonna get worse! :hungry:

exstatic
12-08-2007, 06:22 PM
The Spurs are going to come back down to earth. They've benefitted from a favorable home-road split (12H vs. 8R, compared to PHX's 8H to 12R). Still, on offense they're on autopilot as never before, and we can expect the defense to turn around in a couple of months.
Look at Phoenix's conference record. Even though they've had a worse go of the home/away thing, they've also been feeding on the EC. They're only 5-3 vs the WC, and we're 12-3.

tmtcsc
12-08-2007, 08:07 PM
At the very least, its been fun to watch. We have been far from "boring". I too, think we can improve on defense. I could care less about our regular season record or where we finish. Its all about the Rings. The Drive for Five.

Oh yeah, and why the heck would Bones retire after this season. He's now playing like we've always wanted him too. Relaxed and confident. If he continues like this, why not another year or 2 ?

BonnerDynasty
12-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Anyone who calls the Spurs boring obviously doesn't watch Spurs games. It's the cool thing to do, but I bet DSF knows the truth deep down inside.

Waits for the link to the boxscore from the Cavs Finals last year....

Extra Stout
12-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I am thinking this might be the season where theories, expectations, trends, doubts, etc. are just completely obliterated by a Spurs team that has achieved a state of basketball nirvana, winning 70+ games and crushing all doubts of whether or not they are a dynasty by dominating the league even more than they have in the past.
I think all the chatter around last years championship and whether or not it was legit or this and that sorta pissed the Spurs off, more than they would ever let be known.
maybe 2008 is the year the Spurs get EVEN.
If the Spurs win more than 62 games, then they will have erred by failing to pace themselves in preparation for the playoffs.

nfg3
12-08-2007, 11:36 PM
If the Spurs win more than 62 games, then they will have erred by failing to pace themselves in preparation for the playoffs.

Maybe, maybe not. Though I would tend to agree with your statement it depends on how all those wins were acheived - it's not neccessarily about number of wins but but how they are won IMO. If the majority of those wins were of the hard fought kind then they will probably be a little gassed going into the playoffs. But if the Spurs continue this pace with many a game being won by the end of the 3rd Q then 62+ wins will be OK. In many of these games the starters don't even play hardly at all in the 4th Q. Anyway we've haven't gone East yet so I'm expecting some blowouts in those games and more garage time for our bench. Over the season this will be huge. Our "old" guys need their rest.

BonnerDynasty
12-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Home court advantage over the Mavs, Suns, Rockets, and whoever else would be nice though.

ricketts
12-09-2007, 12:53 AM
I am fine with the way things are going. we can just keep plugging along winning games while the rest of the league ignores us. even back to back 37pt performances by Manu barley made a ripple in the press. everyone is so concerned about whats happening in NY and Bostons 'Big three." I can wait till the Spurs hit the east coast and decimate every team out there.

m33p0
12-09-2007, 12:59 AM
i don't see why a 65+ win season can't be achieved. if we win all the games we're supposed to win while not having to have duncan, tony and manu playing major minutes, and win even just half of the games against top notch teams, its quite doable. still, pop is known to sacrifice a few games especially towards the end of the season.

Cry Havoc
12-09-2007, 01:56 AM
If we start the season something like 30 and 4, why not try to lock up the no 1 seed if possible? Especially as dominant as we've been at home this year.

nfg3
12-09-2007, 01:55 PM
If we start the season something like 30 and 4, why not try to lock up the no 1 seed if possible? Especially as dominant as we've been at home this year.

We should try to do this but not at the expense of over using our key players. :nope The post season is all about having the team on a roll while at the same time adaquately rested. Pop has sacked games in the past just to get his players that needed rest. I doubt if he is going to chnage on that but the #1 seed would be nice to have though. :toast

Cry Havoc
12-09-2007, 02:47 PM
We should try to do this but not at the expense of over using our key players. :nope The post season is all about having the team on a roll while at the same time adaquately rested. Pop has sacked games in the past just to get his players that needed rest. I doubt if he is going to chnage on that but the #1 seed would be nice to have though. :toast

Oh, I agree. However, with the way we've been playing, sitting most of our starters in the 4th for large spells, I don't think we're wearing this team out much. If we can wrap up a top 2 seed, guaranteeing our players more sit time, it would be worth it. They could get hurt just as easily in a sandbag start in the first quarter.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-09-2007, 03:38 PM

I think people are overlooking the fact that our bench is doing a lot of damage this year. With them carrying more of the load, we'll continue to see top notch ball throughout the year.

Capt Bringdown
12-10-2007, 01:38 AM

Yup, I agree. I'm selfish - I wanna see the Spurs get nasty this year. Let's demolish the Western conference, sweep the Mavs and make Kevin Garnett cry in the finals.

But one has to manage one's expectations, right? Last year I thought we had no chance of winning the title, so this year hmmm....

ancestron
12-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Its a given that the Spurs will pace themselves for the playoffs. No way should they strive for a record season at the expense of a succesful post-season. That goes without saying, so I didn't say it.
I just think an obscene number of wins is going to be a by-product of the perfection Popovich has been yelling at these guys about for so long.

I wouldn't worry about Pop pulling an Avery.

nfg3
12-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Oh, I agree. However, with the way we've been playing, sitting most of our starters in the 4th for large spells, I don't think we're wearing this team out much. If we can wrap up a top 2 seed, guaranteeing our players more sit time, it would be worth it. They could get hurt just as easily in a sandbag start in the first quarter.

I agree and if we keep up the trend - bench contributing so much - then absolutely go for the #1 seed. I guess I was just being cautious.

But damn I hate the injury bug, though. It comes out of nowhere and can kill you. I remember '02 when Drob got injured the last week against Detroit. He never recovered in time and we lost to the Lakers when we had the lead 4 out of 5 games going into the 4Q. A healthy Drob and we beat them and then probably get our 2nd title.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-10-2007, 01:15 PM
The Spurs are in a great spot and still have all the pieces to win another title. But we all know that things can change quickly with injuries and all.

Jimcs50
12-10-2007, 03:25 PM
I think SA can win 70 games, if Pop allows it.

9 losses in this remaining schedule:

Find them, because I can't.

DECEMBER OPPONENT TIME (ET) TV LOCAL TV RESOURCES
Tue, Dec 11 @ Golden State 10:30 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Thu, Dec 13 @ LA Lakers 10:30 PM TNT Tickets | Travel
Sat, Dec 15 Denver 8:30 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Mon, Dec 17 Phoenix 8:30 PM NBA TV MyAz Tickets | Travel
Wed, Dec 19 @ Memphis 8:00 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Sat, Dec 22 LA Clippers 8:30 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Wed, Dec 26 Chicago 8:30 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Fri, Dec 28 Toronto 8:30 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Sun, Dec 30 Memphis 8:30 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
JANUARY OPPONENT TIME (ET) TV LOCAL TV RESOURCES
Thu, Jan 3 @ Denver 9:00 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Fri, Jan 4 NY Knicks 9:30 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Sun, Jan 6 @ LA Clippers 3:30 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Mon, Jan 7 @ Golden State 10:30 PM NBA TV Tickets | Travel
Thu, Jan 10 Detroit 8:00 PM TNT Tickets | Travel
Sat, Jan 12 Minnesota 8:30 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Mon, Jan 14 Philadelphia 8:30 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Thu, Jan 17 Cleveland 8:00 PM TNT Tickets | Travel
Sat, Jan 19 @ Houston 8:30 PM NBA TV Tickets | Travel
Mon, Jan 21 @ Charlotte 1:00 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Wed, Jan 23 LA Lakers 9:00 PM
FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Thu, Jan 24 @ Miami 8:00 PM TNT Tickets | Travel
Sat, Jan 26 New Orleans 8:30 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Mon, Jan 28 @ Utah 9:00 PM NBA TV Tickets | Travel
Tue, Jan 29 @ Seattle 10:00 PM KENS 5 Tickets | Travel
Thu, Jan 31 @ Phoenix 10:30 PM TNT Tickets | Travel
FEBRUARY OPPONENT TIME (ET) TV LOCAL TV RESOURCES
Tue, Feb 5 @ Indiana 7:00 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Wed, Feb 6 @ Washington 7:00 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Fri, Feb 8 @ NY Knicks 7:30 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Sun, Feb 10 @ Boston 7:00 PM
Tickets | Travel
Mon, Feb 11 @ Toronto 7:00 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Wed, Feb 13 @ Cleveland 7:00 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Tue, Feb 19 Charlotte 8:30 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Thu, Feb 21 @ Minnesota 8:00 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Sat, Feb 23 New Orleans 8:30 PM KENS 5 Tickets | Travel
Mon, Feb 25 Atlanta 8:30 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Thu, Feb 28 Dallas 8:00 PM TNT Tickets | Travel
MARCH OPPONENT TIME (ET) TV LOCAL TV RESOURCES
Sat, Mar 1 @ Milwaukee 8:30 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Sun, Mar 2 @ New Jersey 6:00 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Tue, Mar 4 New Jersey 8:30 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Thu, Mar 6 Indiana 8:00 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Fri, Mar 7 @ Denver 10:30 PM
Tickets | Travel
Sun, Mar 9 @ Phoenix 3:30 PM Tickets | Travel
Mon, Mar 10 Denver 8:30 PM NBA TV MySa Tickets | Travel
Wed, Mar 12 @ New Orleans 8:00 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Fri, Mar 14 @ Detroit 8:00 PM NBA TV Tickets | Travel
Sat, Mar 15 @ Philadelphia 7:00 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Mon, Mar 17 Boston 8:30 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Thu, Mar 20 @ Chicago 8:00 PM TNT Tickets | Travel
Fri, Mar 21 Sacramento 8:30 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Sun, Mar 23 @ Dallas 1:00 PM Tickets | Travel
Tue, Mar 25 @ Orlando 7:00 PM NBA TV Tickets | Travel
Wed, Mar 26 LA Clippers 9:30 PM
KENS 5 Tickets | Travel
Fri, Mar 28 Minnesota 8:30 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel
Sun, Mar 30 Houston 1:00 PM Tickets | Travel
APRIL OPPONENT TIME (ET) TV LOCAL TV RESOURCES
Tue, Apr 1 Golden State 8:30 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Fri, Apr 4 @ Utah 9:00 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Sun, Apr 6 @ Portland 6:00 PM KENS 5 Tickets | Travel
Wed, Apr 9 Phoenix 9:30 PM
MyAz Tickets | Travel
Fri, Apr 11 Seattle 8:30 PM KENS 5 Tickets | Travel
Sun, Apr 13 @ LA Lakers 3:30 PM Tickets | Travel
Mon, Apr 14 @ Sacramento 10:00 PM MySa Tickets | Travel
Wed, Apr 16 Utah 8:00 PM FOX SW Tickets | Travel

jman3000
12-10-2007, 03:27 PM
we will always have a loss or 5 against the bobcats and timberwolves of the league. i dont see us winning anymore than 63 games.

Jimcs50
12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
we will always have a loss or 5 against the bobcats and timberwolves of the league. i dont see us winning anymore than 63 games.

I know that i say that i will bet the farm all the time, but seriously, if SA dowes not win at least 66 games, I will be in total shock. I would bet that they win 66 games right now to anyone who cares to wager.....seriously.

travis2
12-10-2007, 03:32 PM
you bet wine and I'll kick your ass, Jim... :ihit

:lol

Seriously, it depends on if/when the #1 gets locked up. You KNOW that if the seeds get fixed with several games left to go, Pop is going to start deactivating people...

Jimcs50
12-10-2007, 03:36 PM
you bet wine and I'll kick your ass, Jim... :ihit

:lol

Seriously, it depends on if/when the #1 gets locked up. You KNOW that if the seeds get fixed with several games left to go, Pop is going to start deactivating people...

I know it, but I do not think he will do it for more than 2 games. Last year, Dallas rested almost everyone the last 3 games, then they were flat flat flat in the first 3 games againsy GS and got whacked. Pop usually gives TD the last game off, and that is it.

travis2
12-10-2007, 03:40 PM
I know it, but I do not think he will do it for more than 2 games. Last year, Dallas rested almost everyone the last 3 games, then they were flat flat flat in the first 3 games againsy GS and got whacked. Pop usually gives TD the last game off, and that is it.

True, I don't think he's going to sit the big 3 for 5 games, but I do think he'll sit each one for a game or two, and/or just play a pre-season set of minutes with them, just enough to work up a sweat.

ancestron
12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
79-3