PDA

View Full Version : The West

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-08-2007, 12:37 PM
It's still early, but after 20 games, so far the standings have West continues to get deeper. If Sacramento didn't have Kevin Martin injured, they could have had things turn around for them a little sooner too.

1. Spurs 17-3
2. Suns 16-4 1GB
3. Jazz 13-7 4GB
4. N.O. 13-7 4GB
5. Denver 12-8 5GB
6. Mavs 12-8 5GB
7. Lakers 11-8 5.5GB
8. G.S. 11-8 5.5GB
9. Houston 11-9 6GB

Hope this season continues success, because that'll make more competitive games towards the end of the regular season fighting for the bottom playoff spots.

Meanwhile the East is catching up a little, as far as having a couple more "over 50" teams goes, but not really. :lol

himat
12-08-2007, 12:41 PM
So far Detroit, Boston, and Orlando are the only +.500 teams in the East. In the West you have to be +.500 just to be in the playoff race.

Findog
12-08-2007, 01:51 PM
The Mavs couldn't beat UTSA or Arizona State right now, much less the Spurs or Suns.

Matchman
12-08-2007, 02:12 PM
We gain a game over either team,
but tonight i will be rooting for Dallas to stomp the Utah Jazz because we are 0-2 vs the Mavs and 1-0 vs the Jazz, hence its easier for us to get pass the Jazz

Amarelooms
12-08-2007, 02:48 PM
It's still early, but after 20 games, so far the standings have West continues to get deeper. If Sacramento didn't have Kevin Martin injured, they could have had things turn around for them a little sooner too.

1. Spurs 17-3
2. Suns 16-4 1GB
3. Jazz 13-7 4GB
4. N.O. 13-7 4GB
5. Denver 12-8 5GB
6. Mavs 12-8 5GB
7. Lakers 11-8 5.5GB
8. G.S. 11-8 5.5GB
9. Houston 11-9 6GB

Hope this season continues success, because that'll make more competitive games towards the end of the regular season fighting for the bottom playoff spots.

Meanwhile the East is catching up a little, as far as having a couple more "over 50" teams goes, but not really. :lol

Wow Spurs vs Houston and Suns vs Warriors............what matchups I can see the Spurs and Suns losing first round. The Mavs get the Jazz? Maybe Mavs losing for a reason :elephant

td4mvp21
12-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Wow Spurs vs Houston and Suns vs Warriors............what matchups I can see the Spurs and Suns losing first round. The Mavs get the Jazz? Maybe Mavs losing for a reason :elephant

Because the 1 seed plays the 9 seed in an 8 seed format. Nice job.

jman3000
12-08-2007, 03:13 PM
they're going to have 9 teams in the playoffs?

who gets the first round bye?

jman3000
12-08-2007, 03:30 PM
out of all those teams it's hard to say which won't make it. the spurs, jazz, suns, and mavs are the only 100% locks in my mind.

I'm guessing the NO hornets are the only team, that if they didn't make it, the world wouldn't fall down... i mean with all the expectations of the rockets this season that would definately be a huge let down... what the warriors did last year was remarkable and surely not making it this year would be pretty bad.. lakers are kinda wishy washy, but they certaintly show flashes of at least being a decent 2nd tier team with that bench... i think it would be crazy to see denver not make it even though they have 2 super stars on their team...

E20
12-08-2007, 03:32 PM
I would love it if the Spurs played GS in the PO's. I'd have to bust out in my Spurs gear and attend any games I could.

BonnerDynasty
12-08-2007, 03:40 PM
It'd be nice to get the Lakers in the 1st round.

OldDirtMcGirt
12-08-2007, 04:38 PM
It'd be nice to get the Lakers in the 1st round.

We already got dibs. It seems as if the Suns playing the Lakers in the first round is a mortal lock.

On a side note, this season is really good for the NBA. The West is so ridiculously stacked, and the overall level of competition if finally getting back up there. Maybe we're finally seeing the talent level adjust to expansion, although there still are a bunch of stinker east coast teams. Speaking of the east, I'm laughing at all the analysts who think that the east closed the gap a little bit west this offseason. Houston, who currently wouldn't make the playoffs in the west, would be the third best team in the east.

td4mvp21
12-08-2007, 04:40 PM
We already got dibs. It seems as if the Suns playing the Lakers in the first round is a mortal lock.

On a side note, this season is really good for the NBA. The West is so ridiculously stacked, and the overall level of competition if finally getting back up there. Maybe we're finally seeing the talent level adjust to expansion, although there still are a bunch of stinker east coast teams. Speaking of the east, I'm laughing at all the analysts who think that the east closed the gap a little bit west this offseason. Houston, who currently wouldn't make the playoffs in the west, would be the third best team in the east.

I thought the East would be much more competitive this year. I'm disappointed that teams like Cleveland, Chicago, and Miami have sucked ass this season. Detroit, Boston, and Orlando are at least quality teams.

OldDirtMcGirt
12-08-2007, 04:52 PM
I thought the East would be much more competitive this year. I'm disappointed that teams like Cleveland, Chicago, and Miami have sucked ass this season. Detroit, Boston, and Orlando are at least quality teams.

Not sold on Detroit. They're a decent team and everything, but I haven't seen anything that says they can compete with Boston or Orlando yet. Plus Flip Saunders coaching the team drops them a few points in my book.

As far as Boston, they're schedule has been an absolute cakewalk. Of course they're always going to be competitive with the big three, but they have a ridiculously weak bench and Doc Rivers is even worse at managing his starters minutes than Mike D'Antoni (and that's saying something).

As far as Orlando, I don't consider them as a real contender. Phoenix beat them pretty convincingly twice, and they have a black hole at power forward. Dwight is a beast, but he still has holes in his game.

Two teams that were supposed to be at least decent this year, in New York and Miami absolutely suck, and Cleveland and Chicago are mediocre at best.

Tippecanoe
12-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Two teams that were supposed to be at least decent this year, in New York and Miami absolutely suck, and Cleveland and Chicago are mediocre at best.

:lmao

ATXSPUR
12-08-2007, 06:36 PM

self owned

Amarelooms
12-08-2007, 06:47 PM
self owned

What theres half a game between Houston and GS? lol. Just assume the Lakers fall out then douche bag :elephant

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-09-2007, 12:32 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot about New York, didn't make trades in the summer to try to get better? Only to get handed one of the worst losses in history :lmao

Miami and Chicago are sheer disappoints, I have no interest in Miami getting better (chemistry-wise) because they're an ugly team to watch. Ricky Davis, J Will, Old fat Shaq (who's already having hissy fits), blah. Finding good competitive games between two East teams playing in the week is such a chore.
Chicago shows how gutless their management is. They don't want to take risks.

FreshPrince22
12-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Not sold on Detroit. They're a decent team and everything, but I haven't seen anything that says they can compete with Boston or Orlando yet. Plus Flip Saunders coaching the team drops them a few points in my book.

You missed the ass whooping we gave them on their home floor a few weeks back?

OldDirtMcGirt
12-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about New York, didn't make trades in the summer to try to get better? Only to get handed one of the worst losses in history :lmao

Miami and Chicago are sheer disappoints, I have no interest in Miami getting better (chemistry-wise) because they're an ugly team to watch. Ricky Davis, J Will, Old fat Shaq (who's already having hissy fits), blah. Finding good competitive games between two East teams playing in the week is such a chore.
Chicago shows how gutless their management is. They don't want to take risks.

Chicago is seriously retarded. I tivo'd their game against Boston today, and you can tell they need Pau Gasol. They could probably get him for Nocioni, Gordon, and Ty Thomas.

Mr. Body
12-09-2007, 02:44 AM
Chicago is seriously retarded. I tivo'd their game against Boston today, and you can tell they need Pau Gasol. They could probably get him for Nocioni, Gordon, and Ty Thomas.

I'd do it, but probably doesn't make them tons better. At least structures the team better (hey, a post player!).

Amarelooms
12-09-2007, 09:57 AM
I'd do it, but probably doesn't make them tons better. At least structures the team better (hey, a post player!).

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl

Are you people insane? Gasol ain't worth the WORST 3 people in the NBA let alone Gordon and Nocinoi? Hahahah yeah right :elephant

703 Spurz
12-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Because the 1 seed plays the 9 seed in an 8 seed format. Nice job.

:lol

Rummpd
12-09-2007, 02:13 PM
"i think it would be crazy to see denver not make it even though they have 2 super stars on their team..."

In agreement with Charles B. there are only three superstars in the NBA for sure - Duncan, Kobe and Shaq* due to winning multiple championships - all the rest are so far wannabees or over-rated one dimensional frauds. AI can at least make a case for reaching a finals once (as can Wade with a championship and James for getting a team there) but what has Anthony ever done = nothing!

*They keep playing the way they are and either Parker or Manu can state a case.

Purple & Gold
12-10-2007, 12:54 AM

Bynum will shit all over the Suns frontcourt.

jman3000
12-10-2007, 05:26 AM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/features/best

:lmao x 230913

the way this team is getting hyped up is simply amazing.

ludda
12-10-2007, 06:18 AM

At least the mavs and suns last year weren't overhyped until mid season..but early Dec now? ESPN is absurd. Celtics have looked great but I can't wait for them to get massacred coming through the texas triangle (that is assuming the Mavs and rockets do their part).

101A
12-10-2007, 08:58 AM
At least the mavs and suns last year weren't overhyped until mid season..but early Dec now? ESPN is absurd. Celtics have looked great but I can't wait for them to get massacred coming through the texas triangle (that is assuming the Mavs and rockets do their part).You're going to have to wait several months.

Looks to me like the NBA back-loaded their schedule so they could hype as long as possible (and give them a chance to gel, maybe) - but the Celts have a brutal March because of it. They could be setting meaningless records until then.

FromWayDowntown
12-10-2007, 11:49 AM

I never thought a 17-3 team could fly under the radar, but the Celtics are making it possible for this Spurs team to do just that; the Spurs are exactly 1 game off the Bulls' 20 game pace.

FromWayDowntown
12-10-2007, 11:56 AM
The top 9 teams in the West are a combined 48-24 this season against the East, a .667 winning percentage.

Phoenix has made a living this season off the East; they're 16-5 overall but 11-1 against the East (making them 5-4 against teams in the West).

703 Spurz
12-10-2007, 12:14 PM

And the Spurs are on pace to go 72-10 so why not include them? Though to have all that media attention is the exact opposite of how I like the Spurs to fly so nevermind then.

Good ol' ESPN though. They always take one thing and run with the motherfucker

BonnerDynasty
12-10-2007, 12:17 PM

That is funny. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-10-2007, 01:08 PM
The top 9 teams in the West are a combined 48-24 this season against the East, a .667 winning percentage.

Phoenix has made a living this season off the East; they're 16-5 overall but 11-1 against the East (making them 5-4 against teams in the West).

I noticed that too. I was looking at how solid the Spurs are in a tight race for the one seed and thinking that perhaps Phoenix had an edge as they have played a lot less at home than we have. But then I saw that the Spurs are already 12-3 against the West vs. 5-4 for Phoenix and realized that the Spurs are in a pretty good spot.

Of course I do realize that we're only 25% through the regular season and a lot can change.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Houston on the outside looking in at this point is somewhat shocking.

jman3000
12-10-2007, 01:18 PM
in a 2 week span starting in late march and ending in april they have the texas triangle, then a game vs NO... back east for 1 game against the 6ers then phoenix and NO again.... If houston and dallas are playing better and NO keeps up the good play they could be looking at losing 6 of 7 games there.

Roxsfan
12-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Houston on the outside looking in at this point is somewhat shocking.

not really shocking

they have been the over-hyped underdogs for quite sometime now.

TampaDude
12-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I just noticed that the Celtics play the Spurs in SA on St. Patrick's Day...that CANNOT be just a coincidence...

batboy
12-13-2007, 06:18 PM
I just noticed that the Celtics play the Spurs in SA on St. Patrick's Day...that CANNOT be just a coincidence...

Let's hope it is as good as that Mavs/Suns game was around St. Patrick's Day last year.