PDA

View Full Version : Tick ... Tick ... Tick ... Tick ... Mavs Avery Johnson about to blow

spurscenter
12-09-2007, 02:03 AM
sorry if posted already.

http://sportsatrandom.com/uploaded_images/Pix017-724957.jpg

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/ksherrington/stories/120807dnsposherrington.2af2710.html

Avery's headed for blowup ... soon

If you listen closely to Avery Johnson, you'll know what he really thinks about his Mavs.

Never mind quotes like "the men are up for the challenge" after they surrendered 122 to the Nuggets.

Stand close enough to the General, who vowed to back off this season, and you can hear what's really going on.

Tick ... Tick ... Tick ... Tick ...

If the Mavs' current pace holds, I've got Jan. 2 in the pool. Golden State. A dozen more games of this latest schlock, and Johnson blows.

Hey, Donnie Nelson: If that doesn't help, either, how long before you blow this up?

"We don't want to overreact," the Mavs' president cautioned. "When you make decisions, you have to make them for the right reasons."

Winning is a pretty good reason. How about that one?

Maybe you remember when the Mavs won fairly regularly. Of course, that's one of the problems. They tell us we're spoiled.

The Mavs are 12-8 going into tonight's game against Utah, which isn't so awful until you consider they were 35-8 at one point last season.

Unless you think these guys are capable of reeling off 23 straight, the Mavs aren't going to get back to 67 wins, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Before the Mavs flamed out in the first round against Golden State, they probably burned up during the regular season.

But at the quarter mark, they're on a pace for 48. Surely there's some middle ground here, isn't there? What's the problem? Is this a hangover from last season's playoffs?

From the last two playoffs?

Nelson says no, but if not, then what? Making Jason Terry the sixth man? Frankly, that made so much sense I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't think of it. He'll go back to the role when everyone's healthy. As for personnel adjustments, though, that about does it. The Mavs made none that should require a long period of transition.

Basically, the big off-season move was the acquisition of 36-year-old Eddie Jones. Now, I like Eddie Jones. He's a team player, good defender and one of the best 3-point shooters in NBA history.

Since he's joined the Mavs, he's at best 1-for-3 on his resume. A bum ankle has limited him to five games.

Even when he's healthy, though, how much could Eddie Jones mean?

Said Nelson: "The whole team is struggling right now."

If it isn't Dirk Nowitzki taking a paltry 11 shots and missing the last one in a loss to the Spurs, it's Devin Harris shooting 30.9 percent in his last five.

First, let's consider Nowitzki. If any other scorer in the league goes in a slump, he shoots himself out. Nowitzki won't do that. Too deferential. He'd hold the door for a burglar.

But now is no time to knock Nowitzki, and not just because he lit up the Nuggets for a season-high 32. In fact, we've come to expect too much of him. He's a great, unselfish player constantly asked to add to his repertoire.

Here's what Nowitzki really needs: a point guard.

Consider what he's had. As Nelson put it, when Nowitzki played basketball with his buddy, Steve Nash, "Life was easy."

And now that he has to work so hard for his shot? Not so easy.

No one expects Harris to be another Nash. Just as you should expect from Nowitzki only what he can deliver, the same goes for Harris.

He'll never be a great passer or shooter, probably. He's incredibly quick, an excellent defender and fearless going to the rim.

But he's never going to get there if he doesn't start making some midrange jumpers or floaters in the lane.

Frankly, I'm not so sure he's Johnson's kind of point guard. Jason Kidd probably is, and you hear he might be available.

But at what cost? Josh Howard may have to be included in any deal. Kidd is also 34 and not quite the defender he used to be.

Even if you like the idea, now is no time to panic, as Nelson correctly noted. If you try to deal when you're struggling, you do so from a position of weakness, hurting your leverage.

Until the trade deadline in a couple of months, the Mavs can only hope Jones gives them something, Harris converts a few 5-footers and Nowitzki returns to form. If it's none of the above, it's going to get even uglier, and not just because the coach went to pieces.

http://www.spursdynasty.com/uploaded_images/avery_dejected-762501.jpg

Im about to blow up on this mofo
http://givemetherock.com/images/mavericks/avery_johnson_professor_x.jpg

m33p0
12-09-2007, 02:14 AM
poor AJ. at least he'll get his jersey retired in San Antonio in the 22nd. is that a good thing or a bad thing? :dramaquee

Jason_Terry
12-09-2007, 03:20 AM
He needs to go off. Fuck...do something to light a fire under his team's ass. Toss a fucking chair through a window, bitch slap Dirk Nowitzki. Do something to let these fuckers know that how they're playing right now is not all right.

m33p0
12-09-2007, 03:46 AM
i really don't understand why he has to change things because of one bad playoff outing (okay 2). i understand that he needs to tweak things but abandoning the team that won him 67 games last year? that's an overreaction on his part.

Loose Cannon
12-09-2007, 04:37 AM
lmao. The Dallas media is kind of like Spurs fans except that they've never done shit except have a tall German guy that chokes a lot.

Whenever I'm having a crappy week, I can just remember that I'm a Spurs fan and not a Mavs fan. And it all gets better.

/jumpsoffcliffbecauseSpursDisn't#1

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-09-2007, 10:07 AM
They'll get over it.

dirk4mvp
12-09-2007, 10:12 AM
as long as the Mavs know they have the good fans from spurstalk behing them everything will be ok :toast

really....to be so high up on the scoreboard, spurs fans do give a big concern on the Mavs.

lurker
12-09-2007, 10:42 AM
"I've been here before," Avery said after last night's loss. "I know what it feels like. And we have the men to work our way out of it."

When Avery said he's been here before, I'm not sure if he realized how right he was. The 1998-99 Spurs were 12-8 after 20 games. They ended up winning the championship that season, clinching it with a jumper by a little left-handed point guard known as The General.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Mavs are a train wreck waiting to happen. I said it about 2 weeks ago.

BeerIsGood!
12-09-2007, 11:51 AM
They do need a PG. Harris just doesn't have it between the ears and Terry is pretty selfish and a mental midget. Kind of makes you appreciate a guy like Parker who actually improves his game every season.

FromWayDowntown
12-09-2007, 12:02 PM
"I've been here before," Avery said after last night's loss. "I know what it feels like. And we have the men to work our way out of it."

When Avery said he's been here before, I'm not sure if he realized how right he was. The 1998-99 Spurs were 12-8 after 20 games. They ended up winning the championship that season, clinching it with a jumper by a little left-handed point guard known as The General.

Omitted from that statement is the fact that the 1999 Spurs won 6 straight to get to 12-8 at the 20 game mark and as part of the 48-7 run that ended that season.

That's not to say that the Mavs aren't capable of putting together a run that will get them right back into the mix at the top of the West, just that it's probably apples and oranges trying to point to the Spurs 1999 as a reason for hope that such a thing will happen to this year's Mavs.

callo1
12-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Man, this is great !!!!!

Maybe he could kick that same exercise bike that Irk did after the meltdown of epic proportions in Miami.

The biggest problem with the Mavs is the same problem they have had for years...a 7 footer that is in dire need of a nut graft...dude has no stones whatsoever. Maybe he could ask Manu to be a donor since Manu has plenty to spare.

"Irk NoRingSki passes Lattrell Spreewell as the poster child for NBA chokers."

"Dr. Heimlich himself couldn't stop the choking that goes on in Allas."

"Funny how Nash ends another players season with a dirty cheap shot, but he isn't dirty. I don't recall Bowen ending a players season like that. The Spurs only end teams seasons."

LaMarcus Bryant
12-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Harris connects on 5 footers? I swear to god this tonyparker clone scrub asshole only plays good against the spurs. His stats against us are an outlier to boost his averages.

BonnerDynasty
12-09-2007, 12:46 PM
"Funny how Nash ends another players season with a dirty cheap shot, but he isn't dirty. I don't recall Bowen ending a players season like that. The Spurs only end teams seasons."

Who all has he injured? I remember one early in the season but was there another?

nfg3
12-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Harris hasn't worked as well as the Mavs had hoped. He is a gifted player but hasn't improved enough except against the Spurs. He seems to play very well against them but not as well against the other teams in the league.

Now if the Mavs had a distributor like Nash/Kidd then things would be different. The Mavs have the talent to be an elite team since they haven't changed much from last season. So the funk they are in now is mostly mental which means this has to be fixed by AJ. That's what they pay him for. And I don't think ranting and raving is going to be the answer. What it is I don't know but one thing that I'm certain of is that Dirk needs to get his butt down in the paint like in 2006 and use his height to his advantage. That could go a long way in helping "right the ship" and they are banged up, too. Nothing like being healthy - just ask Manu and TD. Imagine Dirk a Spur and shooting all those 3's? Pop would ream him all the time!

SequSpur
12-09-2007, 06:15 PM
when is dirk and elie going to throw down?

exstatic
12-09-2007, 07:06 PM
when is dirk and elie going to throw down?
Whenever Dirk decides it's a good day to die. Elie would kick his ass.

SequSpur
12-09-2007, 07:16 PM
I saw a few possessions against Denver, dirk was going off on terry going up the court... what's up with that?

LaMarcus Bryant
12-09-2007, 11:34 PM
To be serious for a second, I think we're all being wishful and delusional

mavericks are bad ass and their upside is scary, they're just going through a funk like any other team, i remember back in '05 we were close to being .500 in december just like the mavs are now.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2007, 12:25 AM
To be serious for a second, I think we're all being wishful and delusional

mavericks are bad ass and their upside is scary, they're just going through a funk like any other team, i remember back in '05 we were close to being .500 in december just like the mavs are now.

The difference is this Mavs squad doesn't have the mental toughness like the Spurs had, and no amount of Mario Elie pining on the bench about toughness will change that.

The media up here is starting to turn on the team (particularly Dirk, Terry, and Harris). Fun to watch. :corn:

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-10-2007, 01:01 AM
The difference is this Mavs squad doesn't have the mental toughness like the Spurs had, and no amount of Mario Elie pining on the bench about toughness will change that.

Yeah, the difference between this funk, is when the Lakers and Spurs would go through dry spells, they went through them already knowing they've had a couple championships under their belt.

Mavs are just trying to go through the motions of the "regular season attitude" of past winners, hoping that MAYBE, it'll work in their favor...

The Mavs are a bunch of pussy pretenders.

The media up here is starting to turn on the team (particularly Dirk, Terry, and Harris). Fun to watch.

they are so fucking boring, their offense is just a one on one for their Maverick's four assholes. I tried to watch the Denver, Dallas game, and it was lackluster. I also noticed on another board, a Mavs fan saying the Howard 47 game win, still seemed kinda hallow, in victory :lol

ludda
12-10-2007, 01:20 AM
I saw a few possessions against Denver, dirk was going off on terry going up the court... what's up with that?

Yeah I saw that. I think chemistry is another issue too.
I think Dirk was pissed cuz Terry was too busy patting himself on his back after he made a shot (I think he had 5 points that night) while Iverson flew by with back to back uncontested shots. Something like that.

Being the intense guy that he is, I doubt Avery will "relax" for long. Not after his mavs are playing worse defense than the suns nowadays.