PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili's Brilliance No Surprise

urunobili
12-10-2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121007.Ginobili.en.84aefae3.html

Spurs: Ginobili's brilliance no surprise

Web Posted: 12/09/2007 10:43 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News staff writer

Manu Ginobili had just polished off his second consecutive 37-point night against Utah on Friday, a 2 1/2-hour testament to heart and will and want-to that had lifted the Spurs to a second consecutive victory without an injured Tim Duncan.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was shocked by none of it.

“I'm surprised by nothing Manu Ginobili does,” Popovich said.

In fact, Ginobili's recent spate of ho-hum brilliance has forced his coach to rethink the English language altogether.

“I'm thinking of a new word for surprise,” Popovich said.

To the long list of Ginobili's accomplishments this season, add this: He has caused Popovich, who owns one of the NBA's richest vocabularies, to go scrambling for a thesaurus.

Meanwhile, Ginobili's back-to-back 37-point opuses — in Duncan-less victories over Dallas and Utah — have sent opposing coaches back to the defensive drawing board.

No Spurs player has scored as many points in consecutive regular-season outings since December 2001, when Duncan notched 53 and 38 in losses to Dallas and Milwaukee.

The Warriors and the rest of the Spurs' upcoming opponents can breathe a sigh of relief: Duncan, nursing a sprained ankle, has been deemed probable for Tuesday's game at Golden State.

Yes, teams facing the Spurs might again have to contend with arguably the best power forward in NBA history. But at least it takes the ball out of Ginobili's hands on occasion.

“He did just about what he wanted to do, and he makes it look easy,” said Utah coach Jerry Sloan, who on Friday became the victim of Ginobili's latest 37-point night. “He took us to school.”

Before the season began, one national sports Web site — taking into account Ginobili's advancing age and breakneck style — named him part of its “All-Decline Team.”

Instead, at the ripe age of 30, Ginobili appears reborn.

Despite coming off the bench in 19 of 20 games this season — his lone start came in Wednesday's victory over Dallas — Ginobili is averaging a team-best 21.2 points per game, seven better than his career numbers.

A catalyst behind the Spurs' franchise-record 17-3 start, Ginobili has posted four 30-point games, three of which have come in the past four contests.

Ginobili credits a summer away from Argentina's national team, as well as his own competitive nature, for his sizzling start.

“I'm just trying to be aggressive and go to the rim,” he said.

Ginobili, indeed, has found his way there at times this season — just ask Houston's Yao Ming and Dallas' DeSagana Diop, both of whom have been poster-ized by his highlight-reel dunks.

But his season-opening hot streak has been about much more than that.

In his five-plus seasons in the NBA, Ginobili has expanded his arsenal for every occasion. For every defense, he has developed a counter.

If the lane is clogged, Ginobili can make it rain 3-pointers — he made a career-best seven of them on his way to 31 points in a Nov. 30 victory at Minnesota.

On nights when his jumper is off, Ginobili can usually finagle a way to the foul line. He made 17 of 19 free throws against Utah and is an 84 percent free-throw shooter this year.

Opponents can choose to run extra defenders at him, as Dallas did. He typically beats them anyway.

“We gave him all kinds of looks,” Dallas coach Avery Johnson said. “We tried to get the ball out of his hands, and when we did, he made the correct pass.”

From his spot in front of the Spurs' bench, Popovich has observed all of this, and mostly with a yawn.

He has been impressed with Ginobili, and thankful for him.

But surprised? Not at all.

“I just take it for granted there will be a surprise every game,” Popovich said.

[email protected]

ArgSpursFan.
12-10-2007, 03:53 PM
“He took us to school.”

“We tried to get the ball out of his hands, and when we did, he made the correct pass.”

greens
12-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Excellent article. Thanks so much for posting. Good read and good quotes. I always like Pop's choice of words. And I also like Sloan's quote, "he took us to school..." just about covers it all.

It's a joy to watch Manu play like this...he makes the sport so much fun and entertaining...

jaespur21
12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
and with Golden State coming up tomorrow night, dare he(Ginobili) do it one more time. id say the chances are over 65 percent

whottt
12-10-2007, 05:21 PM
So like I was saying...those two games just about locked up Manu's AS berth.

ArgSpursFan.
12-10-2007, 05:23 PM
too soon for that. And I don´t think those 2 games will do much for Manu´s presence in the ASG,He couldn´t even hget the player of the week award for doing that.

wildbill2u
12-10-2007, 07:52 PM
When Gervin was playing he always made a shot in every game that was worth the price of my season ticket.

Many has that same natural flair of shotmaking that brings you out of your seat cheering. I love to watch his highlight reels.

smeagol
12-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Many has that same natural flair of shotmaking that brings you out of your seat cheering. I love to watch his highlight reels.

You mean Manu's wife?

Martin R
12-10-2007, 08:13 PM
You mean Manu's wife?

lol :lol :lol :lol

SpurOutofTownFan
12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
No Spurs player has scored as many points in consecutive regular-season outings since December 2001, when Duncan notched 53 and 38 in losses to Dallas and Milwaukee.

Interesting stat. Didn't know about it.