Tim Duncan
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 8.9
Blocks: 1.8
FG%: .535
FT%: .707

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Averaging career-lows in minutes (32.3), points, rebounds and blocks. Field goal percentage is third highest mark of career. Free throw percentage is highest mark since '02-03 season.

ANALYSIS
Duncan is off to a statistically slow start. His points and rebounds particularly are at very un-Duncan like numbers. But truthfully, Duncan isn't defined by numbers anymore. After four championships, Duncan knows how to pace himself throughout a season so that he can be ready for the playoffs. Additionally, with a strong supporting cast around him, Duncan is more than fine with taking a backseat, especially when the team is playing well. When needed, Duncan appears fully capable of running the ship. As the season progresses, expect him to gradually take more of the reins on a nightly basis.

GRADE
B
Duncan is still the franchise player -- he just doesn't need to always show it.
--------------------------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 4.9
Assists: 4.5
FG%: .478
3P%: .438

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Averaging career-highs in points, rebounds, assists, field goal percentage, three-point percentage, steals (1.8) and blocks (0.5). Ranks second in the league in PER at 30.63. Ranks first on the team (fourth in the league) in plus/minus at +208.

ANALYSIS
Ginobili is having by far the best year of his career. At the age of 30, some thought Ginobili’s numbers would start to decline – or at least start to level off. However, nothing could be further from the truth. His play this season has been astonishing. He has catapulted himself to near the top of the list of the best players in the NBA. With a quarter of the season in the books, Ginobili couldn’t be playing any better. For the sake of the Spurs, hopefully he can play at this level once the playoffs arrive.

GRADE
A+
Ginobili has been simply marvelous this season.

Tony Parker
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
STATISTICS
Assists: 6.9
Rebounds: 3.5
FG%: .511
FT%: .724

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Averaging career-highs in points, assists and assists to turnover ratio. Averaging a career-low in turnovers per minute. Ranks second on the team in plus/minus at +133.

ANALYSIS
While Ginobili has been the most breathtaking player on the team and Duncan has remained the foundation of the team, Parker is quietly having the best season of his career. His scoring and assists numbers are at career-high levels and his turnover numbers are at a career-low level, which is an impressive combination of improvements in one season. Parker’s attacking on offense has been a key to the fast start for the team. On the season, the Spurs are 9-0 when Parker scores at least 22 points.

GRADE
A
On a whole, there isn’t much to complain about regarding Parker this season.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 3.2
Assists: 1.3
FG%: .432
3P%: .434

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Shooting three-pointers at his highest mark since the ’02-03 season. Averaging a career-low in turnovers per minute. Averaging the fewest amount of points he’s averaged as a Spur.

ANALYSIS
Like usual, Bowen’s stats aren’t much to look at. He’s scoring even fewer points than usual this season. However, he’s shooting well and more importantly he’s defending really well. Last year, he had some shaky games in the beginning of the season. This year, he’s been consistent from day one. At 36, there is always the fear that his play will start deteriorating at any point, but that point hasn’t arrived yet.

GRADE
A-
Bowen has played his role as well as ever.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 5.7
Assists: 1.4
FG%: .659
FT%: .667

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Averaging a career-high in points, rebounds, assists, field goal percentage, free throw percentage and steals. Averaging a career-low in turnovers. Tied for second on the team in plus/minus per minute at +.237.

ANALYSIS
Oberto is building off his great showing in last year’s playoffs. Oberto was a huge part of the 2006-07 championship and now he’s playing even better. He’s shooting an astounding percentage from the field and is among the league leaders in fewest turnovers. His defense, in particular his shotblocking, could improve but he’s never going to be a great defender. Oberto is proving to be a very good fit in the starting lineup at center for the Spurs.

GRADE
A-
Now in his third season, he’s become a vital member of this team.

Michael Finley
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
STATISTICS
Assists: 1.6
FG%: .354
3P%: .382

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Averaging a career-low in points and field goal percentage. Also averaging a career-low in turnovers. Ranks fourth on the team in points per game.

ANALYSIS
If you ignore Finley’s field goal percentage, you’d be happy with his production this season. Compared to last year, he’s averaging more rebounds, more assists and fewer turnovers. However, you can’t ignore his field goal percentage because Finley is primarily a shooter. His three-point percentage of 38.2% is fine, but the problem is his 32.2% two-point percentage.

GRADE
C
Finley needs to shoot better to better help the Spurs.

Brent Barry
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3017.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 1.4
FG%: .540
3P%: .509

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Shooting at career-high marks on field goal percentage, three-point percentage and free throw percentage. His PER of 18.84 is the second highest mark of his career.

ANALYSIS
Lost in all the excellent play and wins has been the amazing shooting touch Barry has exhibited this season. His true shooting percentage of 72.4% is the highest in NBA history. Despite battling a few injuries, Barry has consistently knocked in his open shots. While he’s currently the team’s fourth swingman, he’s a vital member of the team. The only knock on him this year has been his erratic defense.

GRADE
A-
In his fourth season in San Antonio, Barry is having his best campaign as a Spur.

Francisco Elson
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3364.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 4.6
Assists: 0.7
FG%: .447
FT%: .833

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Averaging career-highs in rebounds per minute, field goals attempted and free throw percentage. Averaging career-lows in blocks, steals, field goal percentage free throws attempted.

ANALYSIS
Big things were expected from Elson this season as he entered his second year on the Spurs. To date, Elson has been a bit of a disappointment. His scoring and defense has regressed from last season. The good news is that he’s rebounding better than ever, leading the team in defensive rebounds per minute. He still has time to turn it around, but so far he hasn’t lived up to expectations.

GRADE
C-
More blocks and less mental mistakes would greatly improve Elson’s worth.

Matt Bonner
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
STATISTICS
Assists: 0.7
FG%: .422
3P%: .375

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Averaging a career-high in assists per minute. Shooting at career-low marks on field goal percentage and three-point percentage.

ANALYSIS
Bonner has had an up-and-down season, with more bad than good. Until recently, he was shooting poorly and his defense was poor. However, to his credit, he has started to turn it around. He has a role on this team as long as he’s playing defense, rebounding and knocking down perimeter shots. Speaking of rebounds, he isn’t rebounding nearly as well as he was last year.

GRADE
C
Bonner also hasn’t lived up to expectations but he’s been better of late.

Robert Horry
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/830.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 1.0
Blocks: 1.0
FG%: .286
3P%: .500

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Ranks second on the team in blocks per game. Ranks first on the team in appearances in the nightmares of Sun Fans.

ANALYSIS
After dealing with injury and personal issues, Horry has only recently returned to the basketball court. With only 27 minutes of action in three games, any conclusions about Horry are premature. However, he looks to be moving well enough and has already reclaimed his spot as the team’s second best bigman defender behind Duncan.

GRADE
?
Too early to tell. And really, who cares how he plays before the playoffs?

Jacque Vaughn
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3195.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 0.6
FG%: .432
FT%: .692

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Has yet to record an offensive rebound, three-pointer or blocked shot in 155 minutes of action.

ANALYSIS
Vaughn can be frustrating to watch since he’s so blatantly untalented, yet he’s been effective so far this season. Over the last three games, he’s hit nine out of ten shots from the field. Overall, he’s a steady hand who will give great effort consistently. For a minimum salaried player, you really can’t ask for much more.

GRADE
B
Jacque Vaughn has just been Jacque Vaughn this season.

Ime Udoka
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 1.4
Assists: 0.6
FG%: .359
3P%: .316

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Leads the team in brawls fought on the African continent. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83077)

ANALYSIS
Udoka is currently in the midst of the customary first year blues. He has shown glimpses of competency, but still has a ways to go before he’s ready to contribute on a nightly basis. However, there’s been nothing to show that he won’t eventually be capable of being a rotational player on the Spurs.

GRADE
C+
Don’t count Udoka out just yet. He could still become a factor at some point.

Darius Washington
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/rivals/full.47155/ae7c6e111565f85e4cc475117cb3a343/darius-washington.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 1.1
Assists: 0.9
FG%: .485
3P%: .444

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Recently had a triple-double for the Austin Toros. (http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20071208/TULAUS/boxscore.html)

ANALYSIS
Washington made the team in training camp and hasn’t done much to make the Spurs regret their decision. He’s currently playing for the Toros of the NBA’s Development-League and doing a fine job as the team’s starting point guard. While he likely won’t make much of an impact this season on the Spurs, he’s a solid insurance policy in case one of the point guards gets injured.

GRADE
B+
At 21, Washington has just begun his maturation process as a point guard.

Ian Mahinmi
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/ian-mahinmi-hd.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 0.8
Blocks: 0.7
FG%: .500
FT%: 1.000

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Averaging 13.8 points and 6.2 rebounds with the Austin Toros. (http://nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/ian-mahinmi-hd.jpg)

ANALYSIS
Mahinmi has shown good potential in his short time with the Spurs. Of players who have played at least five games, Mahinmi leads the NBA in PER at 36.41. Mahinmi is an athletic big who can run, jump and has some good basketball skills. He's still in his infancy as far as his total development is concerned, but he looks like a quality prospect at this point.

GRADE
B+
It's always good to have an athletic big in the pipeline.

nkdlunch
12-10-2007, 10:17 PM
give Horry an Incomplete

Kori Ellis
12-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Good job :tu

*cue people weighing the players grades against each other*

thispego
12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
good stuff, can't believe it's already a quarter of the way through the season :wow

bigfundamental21
12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the grades timvp. Do you think Elson will turn the corner and find his niche in the Spurs system this year? And how do you think Udoka will become a factor? I know it is hard to tell since he gets such limited minutes and seems tentative with his shot at times.

whottt
12-10-2007, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the intro...

There's absolutely no freaking way Bonner has been better or deserves a better grade than Elson. Not even if you are judging him against himself.

No freaking way.

Tippecanoe
12-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Ime Udoka
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Leads the team in brawls fought on the African continent. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83077)

:lmao

anakha
12-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Just a slight editing change suggested...

Parker's assists and rebounds stats seem to have been reversed. Kinda hard to say he's averaging a career-high when 3.5 is what is listed. :lol

CubanMustGo
12-10-2007, 10:50 PM
What about Pop?

exstatic
12-10-2007, 11:05 PM
What about Pop?
Fired

sprrs
12-10-2007, 11:16 PM

If Timmy gets a B, there's no way Horry only gets a "?"

Mr. Body
12-10-2007, 11:19 PM
If Timmy gets a B, there's no way Horry only gets a "?"

I was thinking a '~'.

picnroll
12-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Mahinmi needs to show more aptitude for rebounding to get a B+.

BeerIsGood!
12-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Ginobili's grade is too low.

beirmeistr
12-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Excellent report

Borosai
12-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Good stuff.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Ginobili's grade is too low.A++ and in a different color to make it stand out

FromWayDowntown
12-11-2007, 12:28 AM
can't believe it's already a quarter of the way through the season :wow

By the end of December, the Spurs will have played 18 of their 41 home games -- almost half.

By the way, I keep meaning to ask, is there a thatpego somewhere out there?

Deimosfobos
12-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Ginobili's grade is too low.

That made me laugh :lol

Tho... you may have a point... Manu start is just amazing. Hope he plays like this come the playoffs.

timvp
12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the grades timvp. Do you think Elson will turn the corner and find his niche in the Spurs system this year? And how do you think Udoka will become a factor? I know it is hard to tell since he gets such limited minutes and seems tentative with his shot at times.I hope Elson figures it out. In a perfect world, Elson would be the starter and Manu and Oberto could both come off the bench. Those two play so well together that it's wasteful to have Oberto starting and Manu coming off the bench. The problem is that Elson hasn't proven to be capable at all at this point. Sometimes with veteran bigs it just clicks and they suddenly figure it all out. Hopefully that will happen with Elson.

Udoka probably won't earn a spot in the rotation this year unless something goes wrong. If everything keeps rolling as is, he'll continue to be the fifth wing. However, if there is an injury or an extended slump, Udoka could get back into the mix.

There's absolutely no freaking way Bonner has been better or deserves a better grade than Elson. Not even if you are judging him against himself.

No freaking way.They've been close to the same level of disappointment this season. The difference is there was more expected out of Elson than Bonner. Coming into the season, everyone had Elson ahead of Bonner in the depth chart ... with even the possibility of Elson winning back the starting job. He's been further away from fulfilling his role than Bonner has of fulfilling his.

Just a slight editing change suggested...

Parker's assists and rebounds stats seem to have been reversed. Kinda hard to say he's averaging a career-high when 3.5 is what is listed. :lolThanks. I accidentally got those stats off of http://www.nba.com.ar

Mahinmi needs to show more aptitude for rebounding to get a B+.I was grading Mahinmi on what he did in the NBA. In the NBA, Mahinmi rebounded very nicely. I believe he leads the Spurs in rebounds per minute.

Darkwaters
12-11-2007, 01:15 AM
I was thinking a '~'.

I have a better idea. Lets give Horry the * so that the Suns fans will finely shut up about the Spurs needing a * somewhere.

travis2
12-11-2007, 08:00 AM
God, that pic of Manu is awful...:spless:

:lol

polandprzem
12-11-2007, 08:43 AM
timvp I'm trying to find another word describing surprise

I will give my 3 words later.

Good thread :tu

last year was not that good from your side of writting.

Cry Havoc
12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Great take, as per the usual. Nicely done, TimVP.

Jimcs50
12-11-2007, 09:57 AM
I disagree with most of your grades

BonnerDynasty
12-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Does C stand for Cornerstone of the Franchise? I'm confused.

SAGambler
12-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Michael Finley

STATISTICS
Assists: 1.6
FG%: .354
3P%: .382

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Averaging a career-low in points and field goal percentage. Also averaging a career-low in turnovers. Ranks fourth on the team in points per game.

ANALYSIS
If you ignore Finley’s field goal percentage, you’d be happy with his production this season. Compared to last year, he’s averaging more rebounds, more assists and fewer turnovers. However, you can’t ignore his field goal percentage because Finley is primarily a shooter. His three-point percentage of 38.2% is fine, but the problem is his 32.2% two-point percentage.

GRADE
C
Finley needs to shoot better to better help the Spurs.
--------------------

I disagree to some extent. Better shooting would be a plus, but maybe Fin has reconciled that he is no longer a 45% or better shooter, and is impacting the game more by passing out assists. If his rebouding is up, and his assists are up, then that tells me he is becoming much more of a TEAM man.

I prefer if he isn't hitting the shots, to defer to someone who is.

He is still a threat out there. It's not like they can't just not guard him. So if he can pass off to a open shot instead of tossing up a brick, that's great.

smeagol
12-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Nice.

I like what Parker has been doing so far.

SpurYank
12-11-2007, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE] (Originally posted by timvp) But truthfully, Duncan isn't defined by numbers anymore. After four championships, Duncan knows how to pace himself throughout a season so that he can be ready for the playoffs. Additionally, with a strong supporting cast around him, Duncan is more than fine with taking a backseat, especially when the team is playing well. When needed, Duncan appears fully capable of running the ship. As the season progresses, expect him to gradually take more of the reins on a nightly basis.

Timvp, your rationale for Timmy's performance so far and your grade of a B don't mesh.

thispego
12-11-2007, 11:25 AM
By the end of December, the Spurs will have played 18 of their 41 home games -- almost half.

By the way, I keep meaning to ask, is there a thatpego somewhere out there?
hahha, nah, just this one. But maybe there is another one that I don't know about :dizzy

thispego
12-11-2007, 11:26 AM
don't be a chode
ahh there he is, visual confirmation of a thatpego

polandprzem
12-11-2007, 11:50 AM
The spurs have got a phenomenal start, I do not know if to be happy about it or not.

I saw the spurs - kings game today and well the spurs fought through this game, they were struggling they had and off day etc. but they shown the character of coming back ibnto the game. And as for the previous sqads this one have the most confidence from all spurs teams I can remember.

And back to the character - this is December and the spurs are playing like they want to prove that they deserved that title and they looks like they are on a mission.

Last year I was complaining, I was really mad on the spurs for lack of effort and agression.

I always say that the champions are made in the regular season - what you will aknowledge and what will become your rutine in the ending of games etc. What will get into your blood with the regular season will come up in the playoffs.
Last year the spurs found the way after the asw to do it.

Right now they looks like they know everything, but putting the effort and it seems like they know they can win it all.

D-wash - the guy is still very raw and needs to learn the PG position more. He is active and wants to work. So maybe next year I see him as the full time backup.

Ime is realy good on D and as timvp said he will come up from the shadow this year, give him more time.

Ian - I thought he will be better this year still I hope to have him in regular rotation in next two years.

manu palying too good, hopefully he will be well rested before the playoffs

Tony is joking too much to the press

I want some better numbers from Tim, although he will always be the franshise player. He must to put more agression to the game.

To the allstar break I would love to see Robert shaking this rust.

thx

SpursFanFirst
12-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Manu Ginobili
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
STATISTICS
Rebounds: 4.9
Assists: 4.5
FG%: .478
3P%: .438

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Averaging career-highs in points, rebounds, assists, field goal percentage, three-point percentage, steals (1.8) and blocks (0.5). Ranks second in the league in PER at 30.63. Ranks first on the team (fourth in the league) in plus/minus at +208.

ANALYSIS
Ginobili is having by far the best year of his career. At the age of 30, some thought Ginobili’s numbers would start to decline – or at least start to level off. However, nothing could be further from the truth. His play this season has been astonishing. He has catapulted himself to near the top of the list of the best players in the NBA. With a quarter of the season in the books, Ginobili couldn’t be playing any better. For the sake of the Spurs, hopefully he can play at this level once the playoffs arrive.

GRADE
A+
Ginobili has been simply marvelous this season.

I think you missed a "+" on his grade.
But I was just thinking...what if...
Ginobili continued on this path and added to it: All-Star spot, sixth man, MVP, and finals MVP? Did I miss anything? :hungry:
I can dream.

polandprzem
12-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Excuse me sorry Gino was great but he is behind Dwight or LeBron

A+ is enough
And Gino won't get any of those awards. He will get into some kind of slump to be honest

SpursFanFirst
12-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Excuse me sorry Gino was great but he is behind Dwight or LeBron

A+ is enough
And Gino won't get any of those awards. He will get into some kind of slump to be honest

I was just having fun...
But maybe there won't be a slump. Who knows?
but I'll reserve my opinion on that until we see what happens.

polandprzem
12-11-2007, 12:43 PM
I was just having fun...

Yup I know, that why I was not writting mainly towards you.

He is my third guy on the most favorite spurs players list

JamStone
12-11-2007, 12:49 PM
We'd appreciate a report every one-eighth segment of the season. One-sixteenth stretches might be asking too much.

Spurs Brazil
12-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Great job timvp

thepego
12-11-2007, 02:36 PM
hahha, nah, just this one. But maybe there is another one that I don't know about :dizzy

wannabe

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Nice work! :tu

I think some people don't realize that TD impacts games just by being on the floor. He'll always draw double-teams and be the focus of the opponent's defensive planning. Not only that, but he's the anchor for the Spurs on their D. Without Duncan in the lineup we're essentially a slightly lesser version of the Phoenix Suns. With him we're...well...the champs.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-11-2007, 07:25 PM
God, that pic of Manu is awful...:spless:

:lol

I was thiking the same - he looks creepy there.

Russ
08-25-2012, 06:04 PM
In retrospect, Jimcs50 had a point.

In retrospect, everybody has a point.

RodNIc91
07-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Ginobili was really huge that season. That was when he won Sixth Man of the Year right? I still think we would've repeated had it not been because of his injury. That series against those Celtics would've been epic.

Spurtacular
07-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Those grades are how I remember them...

I always felt that the Spurs would likely win in 07 regardless of where they finished in the standings. Pop made sure the team was in good shape heading into the playoffs. He knew that they were the best team in the league. And they were poised to not have a repeat of 06; very similar to 14, tbh.

Beaverfuzz
07-08-2015, 05:33 PM
In retrospect, you had a point.

No, no he didn't.