PDA

View Full Version : Hubie Brown

Amuseddaysleeper
12-10-2007, 11:06 PM
What does everyone think of his commentating?

He seems to get a bad rap, but I like that he actually understands the game and breaks down what the teams are actually doing and goes into detail about strategy.

I really hate how 90% of the local teams' commentators pretty much bring nothing to the table and simply make the same comments your friend would make during a game.

I know this probably belongs in the NBA Forum.

jay014
12-10-2007, 11:11 PM
He's great, rather listen to him do a Spurs game than Sean and especially Bill Walton can't stand that guy.

Mr. Body
12-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Who gives him a bad rap? Other than inventing the awful term "tremendous upside potential" (i.e. not just upside but the chance to someday have upside), he's pretty well liked.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-10-2007, 11:14 PM
In 05 he was horrible calling the finals. But since then he's really been good in my opinion.

Guajalote
12-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I really like the guy. He's always been kind to the Spurs, especially when David was struggling on all those teams before Duncan. I think he really appreciates basketball and individuals for who they are and what they truly bring to the team. The guy has been all class his whole life. In fact, before Pop came along, I can remember praying (especially during Bob Hill's regime) that he would be the Spurs coach.

violentkitten
12-10-2007, 11:24 PM
antonio mcdaniels is a player in this league, aight? he can score, rebound, and defend, aight?

FromWayDowntown
12-10-2007, 11:28 PM
He got a bad rap amongst Spurs fans a couple of years ago, IMO, because he wasn't positive enough about the Spurs. I couldn't care less about that -- I know that I frequently learn something about the game of basketball by listening to Hubie and, to me, that makes him a great analyst.

Of course he knows something about the game. It's cliched, but I'm quite sure that Hubie Brown has forgotten more about the game of basketball than most of us will ever know.

E20
12-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Hubie can make some pretty good calls at the end of close games on what coaches are going to do defensivley and offensively and I really like that aspect, it's like he is giving you an inside perspective from a coach's standpoint. I like him. :tu

timvp
12-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Pop once said that the only time he doesn't watch a basketball game on mute is if Hube Brown is calling the game. That pretty much tells you all you have to know.

Dex
12-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Pop once said that the only time he doesn't watch a basketball game on mute is if Hube Brown is calling the game. That pretty much tells you all you have to know.

Pop's gotta mancrush on Hubes?

Amuseddaysleeper
12-11-2007, 12:15 AM

That's awesome

It's good to see that Hubie is well liked, as he's definitely one of my favorites.

SenorSpur
12-11-2007, 01:14 AM
I've enjoyed Hubie for years - no matter what network he was one. In addition to his vast basketball knowledge, his analysis lends strength and credibility to a broadcast. It's almost like hearing a coach run a basketball camp.

Obstructed_View
12-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Hubie Brown, has tremendous strenth.

spurscenter
12-11-2007, 01:47 AM
he is great.

I wish we had dick vitale doing nba. imagine

Obstructed_View
12-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Dick Vitale is schtick. If you want that, listen to Jack Ramsey.

Steve-O-Matic
12-11-2007, 02:24 AM
It should be added that Hubie was also very good when he did the NBA Drafts on TNT.

spurscenter
12-11-2007, 02:26 AM
oh yea hubie in the drafts is a given

remingtonbo2001
12-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Would love to see Costas come back and call the Finals.

I think Hubie just needs a good partner.

Sticking him next to Marv wouldn't be bad.

Or Bill Shoening

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-11-2007, 04:32 AM
Yeah, I like Hubie. He always stood out as knowing his stuff.

Also he gives Spurs their props a lot.

He seems to get a bad rap

yeah, I was wondering about that too, he'd seem to get some flak here and there, and I never understood why because I couldn't see what was so bad about the guy.

Ronaldo McDonald
12-11-2007, 05:38 AM
i think he's good, but i think he should add a little bit a of humor into his commentating to make things less dull...maybe espn should hire a joke writer for him...every now and then Huby would randomly just say a joke

mrsmaalox
12-11-2007, 08:22 AM
I don't mind listening to him because he is so knowledgable, but......(get ready for snarky comment) I can't stand it when they put him on camera: he's the most cadaver-looking person I've ever seen!!! :lol

urunobili
12-11-2007, 08:23 AM
it was Al Michaels and him one of the responsible of why Manu didn't get the MVP in 05. They were in Love with the Pistons during the whole series. he is a great commentator but took me a while to recover from the Finals broadcast...

Taco
12-11-2007, 08:43 AM
antonio mcdaniels is a player in this league, aight? he can score, rebound, and defend, aight?

:lol

your forgot "you see"

Jimcs50
12-11-2007, 08:58 AM
He got a bad rap amongst Spurs fans a couple of years ago, IMO, because he wasn't positive enough about the Spurs. I couldn't care less about that -- I know that I frequently learn something about the game of basketball by listening to Hubie and, to me, that makes him a great analyst.

Of course he knows something about the game. It's cliched, but I'm quite sure that Hubie Brown has forgotten more about the game of basketball than most of us will ever know.

What he said. Hubie is the man, nuff said.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-11-2007, 09:38 AM
I've always thought he'd be better served as a in studio guy rather than doing color commentary. While his basketball knowledge is off the charts compared to most of the talking heads his delivery is very stilted and he takes forever to make his points. So long that often times fouls and other calls that aren't entirely clear to those watching at home get completely missed, or his broadcast partner has to scramble to get caught back up. Although you do have to love his hopelessly outdated terminology. You almost have to wonder if everyone got together and made a pact: Don't tell Hubie what "giving a guy a blow" means in modern slang.

"Now you're Dwyane Wade. You're not hitting your shots a high percentage of the time. If that's the case then you need to really focus on getting into the painted area to get those high percentage shots. And if that's not possible then you need to work to find other ways to help your team by creating for your teammates and hustling to the ball. If you can't do that then Pat Riley is almost better off giving you a blow on the bench and giving some young players time in the rotation to help them realize some of their upside potential."

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't mind listening to him because he is so knowledgable, but......(get ready for snarky comment) I can't stand it when they put him on camera: he's the most cadaver-looking person I've ever seen!!! :lol

I can agree with that, he is pretty much a fossil when they show him. His camera coverage can be used as a reminder of the 'ravages of age' for all of us young people.

ancestron
12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
"What they gotta do here now, is get a good, high-percentage shot"

howbouthemspurs
12-11-2007, 11:22 AM
He's old!

smeagol
12-11-2007, 11:26 AM
How old is the Hubie-meister?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-11-2007, 11:30 AM
How old is the Hubie-meister?
According to Wikipedia, he's 74. That's not too old actually.

nfg3
12-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I've liked him for years and have learned a lot about BB by listening to him. I was disappointed that he left the Spurs to take the Memphis head coaching job back in '02. I was looking forward to him commentating regularly on the Spurs but head coach in the NBA vs. Color commentator for a NBA team (even if it is the Spurs) = no brainer.

Though I tend to agree that he does take his time getting the point across and probably hurts the broadcast in that respect.

Medvedenko
12-11-2007, 12:16 PM
I liked Hubie and Dick stockton back in the day.....oh, and I hate homer local commentators...the worst....Boston, Miami, Raptors, and probably gstate.

newbiefan
12-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Spurstalk is amazing.. I was just thinking this and sure enough a forum pops on this.. this is not the first time this has happen.. you guys are like psychic or something

Barbarian
12-11-2007, 12:51 PM
You almost have to wonder if everyone got together and made a pact: Don't tell Hubie what "giving a guy a blow" means in modern slang.

"Now you're Dwyane Wade. You're not hitting your shots a high percentage of the time. If that's the case then you need to really focus on getting into the painted area to get those high percentage shots. And if that's not possible then you need to work to find other ways to help your team by creating for your teammates and hustling to the ball. If you can't do that then Pat Riley is almost better off giving you a blow on the bench and giving some young players time in the rotation to help them realize some of their upside potential."

I always thought that was pretty funny but weird at the same time since he said this on every broadcast at least three times. You would think somebody would have told him by now.

Barbarian
12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
I love Hubie..one of my favorites...that being said Jeff Van Gundy..is one of the funniest announcers around and he is my favorite! I hope he never goes back to coaching.
I wish I could see him and Barkley announce a game..even if it is Minnesota against Seattle..these two guys would have me glued to my T.V the entire game!

While I agree with you about Hubie and JVG, I disagree about Barkley. He fucking sucks as a commentator. I don't remember what game it was last year but I think he was filling in for someone that night. He had no clue what to do. His "comedy" flew out the door as soon as the game began and for some reason tried to be all professional. He needs to stay in the Studio.

phyzik
12-11-2007, 01:01 PM
I liked him in the movie Phantasm

http://retrodc.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/phantasm.jpg

coachtf
12-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Hubie is the best in the business IMO. Guy can educate you and some b-ball legends look to him for answers. Met him in 1994 and he was cool to the whole family. Good Guy!

callo1
12-11-2007, 07:06 PM
He is a corpse. Everytime I see him I think of Weekend at Bernies and wonder where the strings are.

TheAuthority
12-11-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm one of the most critical people on the Earth, and I can't say anything bad about Hubie Brown's commentating. My favorite. Hands down. Well, one thing... that Jewish accent of his. Other than that, can't ask for anything more.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-11-2007, 07:37 PM
There is no question about his BB knowledge. He is usually kind with all teams and the spurs. I think he is a better source than other folks they have in there. Just having to hear Miller makes me want to eat babies alive.

thekingrobert
12-11-2007, 07:38 PM
the main thing i dislike from him is no matter how bad the call the refs make he will ALWAYS agree with it

BradLohaus
12-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Hubie Brown is awesome. I love his 2nd person analysis. If I ever have to make a new resume then I'm going to find a way to mention that I have "tremendous upside potential".

If anybody hasn't read Bill Simmons' diaries from the 2005 Finals then you should, becuase he talks about Hubie alot and it's pretty funny. Plus you can relive the Spurs victory.

Game 1
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050610

Game 3
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050615

Game 7
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050624

Here's Simmons' take on the Robert Horry game (not Hubie related IIRC but Simmons gushes over Horry alot).
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050620

I loved Hubie's commentary during the replay of the famous shot:

(In obvious pain) "And they go away from Robert Horry! You know - YOU KNOW - that the most dangerous guy is the guy out of bounds. You stay with the 3 point shooter, especially a 3 point shooter of Robert Horry's...magnitude". (You thought he was going to say caliber didn't you?)

lefty
12-11-2007, 09:57 PM
In 05 he was horrible calling the finals. But since then he's really been good in my opinion.

"First of all, when you talk about Tim Duncan, you're talking about 24 pts, 12 rbds and 3 blocks a game" :dizzy

"If San Antonio wants to win, the big 3 has to produce" duh

But other than that, he is a great analyst; Why did they put Mark Jackson during the ECF and Finals in 2007????

Hubie+JVG would have been a great combo

thispego
12-11-2007, 10:00 PM
no we all know that hubie brown is a great commentator, what we also know is that he is quite old.

lefty
12-11-2007, 10:07 PM

I can agree with that, he is pretty much a fossil when they show him. His camera coverage can be used as a reminder of the 'ravages of age' for all of us young people.

Recent pic of Hubie

http://www.bargainfancydress.co.uk/media/images/product_category/97037.jpg

SpurOutofTownFan
12-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Hubie+JVG would have been a great combo

A+ to this.