PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Why not all three? Spurs' time

timvp
12-11-2007, 12:34 AM
Harvey: Why not all three? Spurs' time
San Antonio Express-News

A lot can happen between now and the NBA All-Star Game. For one, Gregg Popovich could throw a few games to avoid having to work that weekend.

But it's not too early to introduce a suggestion. After the start Manu Ginobili has had, and after what his franchise has accomplished in this era, why shouldn't three Spurs be in New Orleans in February?

They deserve it.

Going by the past, the Spurs will be doing well to get two. Tim Duncan likely will be elected as a starter by the fans again, assuming the ballot controversy doesn't skew the results. The first release of votes, coming Thursday, will give some indication of that.

Later the conference coaches, who vote for the reserves, will settle on either Tony Parker or Ginobili. That will depend on which one is peaking in late January.

There also is a slight chance neither will make it. The field is crowded, even with two of last year's Western representatives now in the East (Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen).

There were 16 eventually named from the West last season because Steve Nash, Carlos Boozer, Allen Iverson and Yao Ming were injured. The others on the roster a year ago: Duncan, Parker, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki, Carmelo Anthony, Josh Howard, Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire and Mehmet Okur.

Okur has played himself off the list, but his teammate, Deron Williams, has jumped in line. Chris Paul gets additional thrust since he plays in the host city, and Baron Davis, who the Spurs meet tonight, can be among the best when he's healthy.

So assuming Bryant is one of the starting guards and McGrady drafts behind the Yao vote for the other spot, can coaches justify adding both Parker and Ginobili among the guards? Nash is a lock, and the others have had their All-Star moments. Iverson already has gone for 51 points this season, Howard for 47.

Then there's the entertainment aspect. The more cities represented, the more attention. Besides, these are the Spurs. Does the TV audience want to be subjected to them any more than they have to be?

But coaches rarely consider such things. They didn't include Anthony when the event was in Denver, when NBA marketing would have been for it, and they see cracks fans don't see.

For example, they see Iverson as a reason the Spurs eliminated the Nuggets last spring.

They embrace winners, too, and they did in 2006. Then they voted four Pistons to the East bench — Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace and Rip Hamilton.

From a USA Today story after that announcement: "The Pistons are the standard for team play in the NBA. The way they share the ball and help each other defensively is reminiscent of the New York Knicks, Portland Trail Blazers, Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics championship teams of another era."

The Pistons were in the East finals in 2003, won the NBA title in 2004 and reached the NBA Finals the next season. They also had an impressive record at the break two years ago (42-9).

"I'm so excited our team is finally getting the credit we deserve," Billups said then. "We've been dominating the league for a few years and not gotten the proper notoriety and attention."

Billups likely didn't mean "notoriety." Rasheed, after all, had gotten enough for the entire team. But Billups had reason to be proud.

Still, which team has been the standard of this era? The Spurs already had beaten the Pistons for their third title by the time the 2006 All-Star Game was played, and they kept going with another last June.

As for the win-loss record the Pistons had at the 2006 break: The Spurs are on pace to do better.

Again, it's early. Granted, the East didn't have the depth of talent then that the West has now.

But that doesn't change the concept that was alive just two years ago. Then coaches rewarded team play, and they looked past stats, and they saluted four players who had won one title.

So what about three players who have won three together?

It's not their turn. It's their time.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121107.01D.buck.harvey.en.2934e03.html

slayermin
12-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Now that's what I call hot off the presses.

BeerIsGood!
12-11-2007, 12:39 AM
Manu or Tony not making the all star team will only add gasoline to the fire that they're already using to tear people up. I hope the Spurs get completely snubbed and nobody goes to the all star game. The more motivation the better.

itzsoweezee
12-11-2007, 12:40 AM
chris paul is overrated. he's a stat whore. parker and ginobili both deserve a spot over cp.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
12-11-2007, 12:41 AM
I really don't think it will happen... the west is too stacked this year. I see Tony getting snubbed this year

timvp
12-11-2007, 12:44 AM
I guess this is a good problem to have. Duncan, Ginobili and Parker all deserve an All-Star berth, at this point in time. It'd be wrong for any of the three to be left off. The Spurs have won four championships and two of these three players are having easily their best years. It should be a no-brainer.

On one hand, I couldn't care less about the All-Star game. I watch the game basically to make sure nobody on the Spurs gets hurt. In that vein of thought, I'd be fine with nobody on the Spurs making the All-Star team.

However, there's also the historical aspect. Like it or not, players are judged partly by how many All-Star teams they've played on. In 30 years when people look back on this team and these players, there's a big difference between Ginobili being a multiple time All-Star and just a one-time All-Star. It's stupid because championships should be what it's all about ... but that's not how historians work.

It's a weird quandary. Half of me hopes that none of the three make it so that they can just rest and avoid the extra mileage. The other half of me would be pissed if all three weren't on the team.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
12-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Who decides the reserves?

Is it the coach of the all star team, or is it all the NBA coaches in a vote?

timvp
12-11-2007, 12:53 AM

Is it the coach of the all star team, or is it all the NBA coaches in a vote?B.

J.T.
12-11-2007, 12:54 AM

Is it the coach of the all star team, or is it all the NBA coaches in a vote?

The coaches vote in the reserves.

bigfundamental21
12-11-2007, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the article.

While it's true that all three deserve to make the team, it probably won't happen. If the three of them played in some other city like LA or Dallas or wherever, they would start, but we know how this all works.

But like most have said before... we would rather the team stay healthy and rested to gear up for the 2nd season.

Cry Havoc
12-11-2007, 01:42 AM
With how well we're playing this year, I think the players are going to be pretty rested anyway, TimVP. If we keep blowing out teams and putting distance between us and the #3-8 seeds in the West, I don't see how the All-Star game will really affect our players that much.

Obstructed_View
12-11-2007, 01:46 AM
B.
Ah. New wrinkle in my brain. I always thought the coaching staff for the AST picked the reserves. Is that a recent change? I could swear there were some hurt feelings over that a few years back.

BeerIsGood!
12-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Now that I think about it I do want TP in the all star game because it gives him an outlet to throw all of those ugly ass flat alley-oops without getting Pop's foot up his ass.

Obstructed_View
12-11-2007, 01:57 AM
And Timmy probably won't be there not to catch them. :lol

whottt
12-11-2007, 02:23 AM
I'm just looking at who makes the AS Team...

Yao
Duncan
TMac
Kobe
Nash
Dirk
AI

Other than that...I don't really see anyone that's a lock to go ahead of Tony and Manu...you assume Amare will probably make it and maybe Chris Paul, Baron Davis and Deron Williams...but I don't think those guys automatically have more claim to be there than Manu or Parker. And keep in mind....the NBA is focused on globalizing the game. The fact is, Paul, Williams and Davis are all pretty similar players...and different type players than Manu and Tony.

Tony's been getting elected because he's been challenging for the lead in points in the paint and shooting over 50%...

But Manu is the wrecking crew...

Put it this way...it didn't even take a great season by Manu for him to make his first...a great season by him makes him a shoein IMO.

milkyway21
12-11-2007, 02:30 AM
yeah. I'm 100% behind it..

if the Suns had 3, why not the Reigning champs?

SpursIndonesia
12-11-2007, 05:45 AM
If the Spurs don't hit any December-January slump -and i mean REAL slump ala what hits Dallas and Houston as of now, IMHO it's a lock for the three amigo to play in the AS game.

m33p0
12-11-2007, 07:31 AM
too much competition from the guard position out west for both manu and tony to get in. i sure hope they can impress enough coaches for them to gain entry. duncan is an almost lock for the ASG.

Jimcs50
12-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Manu and Tony are a lock this year

MoSpur
12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
As a Spurs fan, it would awesome to see Manu, Tim, and Tony in the game.

703 Spurz
12-11-2007, 10:26 AM
I really don't think it will happen... the west is too stacked this year. I see Tony getting snubbed this year

Yeah if anything TD and Manu get in.

CubanMustGo
12-11-2007, 10:50 AM
So if Pop is the coach he should make Dirk and Nash play 45 minutes. :stirpot:

[edit: crap, THIS is my 5000th post? So much for making some memorable statement. :depressed ]

SAGambler
12-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Hell, I think Bowen deserves an all star spot too. But we know that won't happen. The last thing they want at an all star game is a lock down defender.....

SpurYank
12-11-2007, 11:08 AM
I would rank them in this order, for the All Star game: Manu, Tony, and Timmy. And if Garnett were still in the West, Timmy's selection would be suspect.

Look at his numbers.

whottt
12-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Yeahbut....Duncan usually gets voted in. So his numbers are irrelevant.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Manu has coaches heads turned, and Parker is having his statistically best season while upping his assists.

I think coaches should look how the Suns big Three got in for once, even though the West is loaded with talent, if the Spurs have really really good record by the end of January, that could *also* help our boys.

I don't know why I care so much this season, but I think our boys should be rewarded for their winning play, on their quest towards championships. I'd actually give a damn to watch the AS game, so hopefully our backcourt continues to abuse teams.

And if Garnett were still in the West, Timmy's selection would be suspect.

Look at his numbers.
Yeah, maybe that's why Timmy slacked off even more. :lol
Timmy will get in by popular vote, so I'm not worried about him.

LilMissSPURfect
12-11-2007, 11:37 AM
http://www.nba.com/allstar2008/asb/eng/ballot.html

http://www.nba.com/allstar2008/asb/eng/ballot.html

Mr. Body
12-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Yao
Duncan
TMac
Kobe
Nash
Dirk
AI

I agree. I'd make sure I had both Parker and Ginobili before going for Deron Williams or especially Baron Davis. If the Spurs maintain their winning pace (if!) they need to have three there. It's sad that Tracy McGrady may wind up taking someone else's spot, but maybe he'll be injured.

nkdlunch
12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Manu and Tony are a lock this year

I agree. Last year Manu ALMOST made it. so this year he is a lock. then we have Parker who is third best PG in the West.

lock.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
12-11-2007, 02:25 PM
I think Chris Paul and Allen Iverson are locks, and if Baron Davis stays healthy he deserves to make the team. I just don't see Tony beating out any of those guys this year.