PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Radio Coming to San Antonio?

Kori Ellis
12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
I heard through a very reliable source that ESPN Radio is coming to San Antonio at the beginning of the year on 1250AM - Border Media.

For all the people that complain about sports radio options in San Antonio, you may very well soon have another choice.

--Kori

2centsworth
12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Hallelujah!!!!!! Besides talking cowboys and the brick I can't listen to anything else. Especially Mike "ignore the spurs" Taylor.

BonnerDynasty
12-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I like Fox Sports radio at night. JT the Brick, Ben Maller, those guys.

That's cool though.

JoeChalupa
12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
That is indeed good news.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm amazed that a market the size of San Antonio didn't already have an ESPN radio affiliate.

Barbarian
12-11-2007, 01:04 PM
ESPN radio sucks. Foxsports much better. Only show I cant stand though is Shemon and J-Dub. Sczaban in the morning is the best show hands down.
Does SA pick up Sczaban locally?

johngateswhiteley
12-11-2007, 01:05 PM
ha ha ha.....beautiful. fuck stsa.

SAtown
12-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I like Fox Sports radio at night. JT the Brick, Ben Maller, those guys.

:tu

Hopefully this is true so I don't ever have to listen to STSA again.

curtismedellin
12-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Sczaban in the morning is the best show hands down.

no lie, that guy would have me bustin a gut and waiting till the absolute last minute to get out of the car to go to work.

Extra Stout
12-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I wonder whether they will air SN & PTI during afternoon drive-time, or a local host? If they could get some former Spur to do a show for an hour or two, they could effectively destroy STSA.

Sec24Row7
12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Oh... put him opposite the fucking Mav fan douchebag that took over for Vexler and Wally...

Wtf were they thinking?

MoSpur
12-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Good news. Thanks for sharing.

Buddy Holly
12-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Slightly off topic but still ESPN related. There may be a commercial development in River North that may have an ESPN Zone. Thought both the development and an attached ESPN Zone are in very early preliminary stages.

samikeyp
12-11-2007, 02:16 PM
ESPN radio sucks. Foxsports much better. Only show I cant stand though is Shemon and J-Dub. Sczaban in the morning is the best show hands down.

I am the opposite and probably in the minority but I like Shemon and Washington and can't stand Sczaban.

I prefer Fox but I am glad to see this happen, if it does. SA deserves more sports radio options. That is one of the things living in Lansing has better than SA....from where I am I can catch 4 different sports stations.

PeterBurns
12-11-2007, 02:24 PM
It's about to be a :ihit

2centsworth
12-11-2007, 02:41 PM
It's about to be a :ihit
my money is on the other guy. any company that thought the idea of Mike Taylor in SA would work is destined to lose.

Shank
12-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Yuck.

j-6
12-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Slightly off topic but still ESPN related. There may be a commercial development in River North that may have an ESPN Zone. Thought both the development and an attached ESPN Zone are in very early preliminary stages.

Not happening. DRE only has one opening planned - 3rd Q '08 - LA, next door to the Stapler. Victory Park offered free buildout in Dallas two years ago and DRE still declined.

pking
12-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Didn't realize SA doesn't have ESPN radio. Unless you have a really great local sports-guy, it won't be worth a crap. Galloways show is fantastic here but everything else pretty much sucks. The national stuff is shite, the local-yocals earlier in the day are always changing around and are always horrible...

Obstructed_View
12-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Mike "ignore the spurs" Taylor.
He's from up here and he's a Mavericks fan. What do you expect?

AlamoSpursFan
12-11-2007, 05:01 PM
<---Sgt. Schultz.

:lol

Real Tomato Ketchup
12-11-2007, 05:13 PM

Q4T, and yes, Czabe is on 5-8 on the Ticket, by FAR the best show they have and Shemon is alright, the fact that J-Dub still has a job blows me away.

Soul_Patch
12-11-2007, 05:25 PM
I agree that Czabe is the best thing 760 has right now. Sheeman and Washington are OK. I started out really liking Rome, but im starting to get tired of his schtik, i guess its worked for him for years now, so why change...but it get a bit played after a while...

i usually dont listen to 760 at all after 1400

DannyT
12-11-2007, 05:50 PM
bout freaking time

LEONARD
12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Damn...that sucks...

Yuck.

2centsworth
12-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Damn...that sucks...

gosh darnett, Mavs win again.:depressed

Buddy Holly
12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Not happening. DRE only has one opening planned - 3rd Q '08 - LA, next door to the Stapler. Victory Park offered free buildout in Dallas two years ago and DRE still declined.

Firstly re-read what I wrote. I said negotiations with ESPN Zone is very preliminary, but aside form that the commercial mixed-use is also preliminary. If all things go accordingly nothing would begin construction for another year at the most and nothing would be open until mid-2009 is not later. Lastly, who cares what Victory Park offered, if they got rejected, that's their problem.

j-6
12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Firstly re-read what I wrote. I said negotiations with ESPN Zone is very preliminary, but aside form that the commercial mixed-use is also preliminary. If all things go accordingly nothing would begin construction for another year at the most and nothing would be open until mid-2009 is not later. Lastly, who cares what Victory Park offered, if they got rejected, that's their problem.

Easy, killer. Settle down.

They - whoever the mysterious River North planners may be - are not negotiating with ESPN Zone. Tell me what wannabe land development message board you learned this from (if you're not just making this up) and why you think Disney would even dream of negotiating with a private developer that hasn't even broken ground in a burg with one pro team when they turned down a free buildout in a county-subsidized project that N9NE and GhostBar went into right next door to an arena housing two major pro teams.

Thanks in advance.

ShoogarBear
12-11-2007, 09:12 PM
I am the opposite and probably in the minority but I like Shemon and Washington and can't stand Sczaban.Czaban sucks the big wazoo. Especially if you're a basketball fan.

Buddy Holly
12-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Easy, killer. Settle down.

They - whoever the mysterious River North planners may be - are not negotiating with ESPN Zone.

Ok. Well, since you just said it, it must be true. :rolleyes

Tell me what wannabe land development message board you learned this from (if you're not just making this up)

Didn't get the information from any message board.

and why you think Disney would even dream of negotiating with a private developer that hasn't even broken ground in a burg with one pro team when they turned down a free buildout in a county-subsidized project that N9NE and GhostBar went into right next door to an arena housing two major pro teams.]

So, let me get this right, your hypothesis is: "They didn't build in Dallas so they're definitely not building in San Antonino." Right?

Thanks in advance.

No need to thank me, your incredible lack of understanding for not just basic urban land development but the negotiation behind landing tenants for a commercial/retail development does not require any gratitude.

T Park
12-12-2007, 02:14 AM
cool.

Add some local talent to it.

Calling Jay Howard and Jeff Vexler....

texbumTHElife
12-12-2007, 03:00 AM
Fox Third Shift is the best show on the Radio

LEONARD
12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
gosh darnett, Mavs win again.:depressed

:lol at you because you have no idea what I'm talking about...

2centsworth
12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
:lol at you because you have no idea what I'm talking about...
i read between the lines :toast

LEONARD
12-12-2007, 11:52 AM
i read between the lines :toast

of course you do...

Extra Stout
12-12-2007, 12:00 PM
How did it take this long for ESPN Radio to get into the SA market anyway?

tlongII
12-12-2007, 01:05 PM
The Herd!

Buddy Holly
12-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Jeanne Jakle confirms it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/jakle06/

S.A. getting new sports station

WOAI's "The Ticket" will have competition soon. A new all-sports radio station will sign on here early next year — an affiliate of ESPN radio that will incorporate both national and local programming.

A familiar voice — former TV and KTSA sportscaster Paul Alexander — will host a midday talk program as well as handle sports updates during morning drive, Mark Landis — BMP Radio's director of programming (for S.A. English-language station), reported today.

Yes, it turns out that BMP radio, which earlier couldn't come to terms with Alexander on a KTSA deal, found another outlet for the guy known as "The Coach" to broadcast here.

Its Spanish music station KZDC, a la Radio Unica, at 1250 on the AM dial (right next door to talk competitor WOAI, will be transformed into sports station KZDC. Landis said the Spanish station primarily consists of syndicated music programming, but added that local employees likely would be absorbed by other BMP stations.

"It's a much more prominent role for Paul," Landis said of Alexander's new KZDC gig. The specific station launch date has yet to be determined.

Among new sports shows coming to San Antonio is the popular "Mike and Mike" morning program on ESPN radio. It stars the quintessential odd couple — gentle and nerdy Mike Greenberg and tough "man's man" Mike Golic. Go to www.espnradio.com for the streamed broadcast to get a feel for the duo.

As for which games might be broadcast on the new outlet — Cowboys, Spurs — Landis said it's too early to tell. However, he added: "The sky's the limit for us. We're going after as many good things for San Antonio as we can."

2centsworth
12-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Paul Alexander is going to make mince meat out of taylor. I'm sure Taylor is going to talk a whole bunch about the spurs and how good Golden State really is.

Buddy Holly
delete

Kori Ellis
Jeanne Jakle confirms it.

Good.

I'm glad to know the source was true :blah

Kori Ellis
12-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Jay Howard to 1250 seems like a real possibly seeing how BMP owns both 1250 and 550.

Doesn't Jay Howard have another career outside of radio in another state these days?

Buddy Holly
12-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Doesn't Jay Howard have another career outside of radio in another state these days?

lol, I have no idea, but when I typed in KTSA in google a link that said Jay Howard worked for KTSA came up. I've never kept up with Jay Howard. But he's no longer in SA/Texas?

Edit: :lol Now that I second glance it, it says "fired" not hired.

2centsworth
12-12-2007, 04:02 PM
duh, he's married to Celine Dion

SAtown
12-12-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm sure Taylor is going to talk a whole bunch about the spurs and how good Golden State really is.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. At least today we won't complain how Taylor ignores the Spurs :rolleyes I'm predicting a show that consists of 70% Spurs talk and 30% Cowboys talk on today's show

Taco's Troll
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM

JAY HOWARD ?!?!?! :rolleyes

NO, JAY IS PERFECTLY HAPPY IN HIS MARRIED LIFE, LIVING OFF HIS WIFE'S INCOME!!

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9990/renedionwideweb430x297er0.jpg

Condemned 2 HelLA
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Fox Third Shift is the best show on the Radio

That show sucks now that Jorge Sedano isn't the host anymore.
Having to listen to Ben Maller on only the weekends was bad enough.
Having to listen to him 5 nights a week is completely unbearable.

Shank
12-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Paul Alexander is going to make mince meat out of taylor. I'm sure Taylor is going to talk a whole bunch about the spurs and how good Golden State really is.

Will they even be up against each other, though? I thought Taylor was afternoons.

PeterBurns
12-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Okay....Here's what I would do.....

Mike and Mike until 8AM
Kori and Jeff Vexler 8A-11A
The Coach 11A-2P
???? & PTI 2P-5P
Duel and Dawn 5P-8P

degenerate_gambler
12-12-2007, 04:52 PM

Last I heard he was a financial advisor/planner for a group called Planto Roe Financial Svcs. and still living in S.A.

Extra Stout
12-12-2007, 04:53 PM

Mike and Mike until 8AM
The Coach 11A-2P
???? & PTI 2P-5P
Duel and Dawn 5P-8P
I assume you already forwarded them your resume.

MoSpur
12-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Paul Alexander seems like a good fit. I like Out of Bounds in the morning. I can do w/out Jim Rome. Mike Taylor is just plain boring.

Mavs08
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
No local sports show will ever do well if they don't recognize SpursTalk as the primary website that has the only real passion in this city and has the only true Spur fans and insights in the state of Texas. And since Kori does a poor job promoting her site and actually being a part of San Antonio radio? it's up to us to make sure the ESPN radio knows we exist.

Mike Taylor's show has gotten better and his Taylor Trash segment is worth tunning into. If only he will stop acting like he is a real Spur fan and maybe stop acting like Gomba's pizza is the only place his family eats he may get more respect.

Also telling folks they have to join the Ticket Radio MySpace site and sign on as a friend in order to win something or be part of the show is a cheesy way to win over the real Spur fan.

Until SpursReport , SpursTalk, ClubSpurs, and the people who control sports radio In San Antonio can put down their grudges and set aside their inflated ego's and learn to join forces and unite as a respectable sports city?

San Antonio will always be 2nd rate and thus we will forever be stuck in 1999*

degenerate_gambler
12-12-2007, 05:08 PM

Mike and Mike until 8AM
The Coach 11A-2P
???? & PTI 2P-5P
Duel and Dawn 5P-8P

dude that's alot of time for local hosts/topics in a town like this..

Kori Ellis
12-12-2007, 05:25 PM

Mike and Mike until 8AM
The Coach 11A-2P
???? & PTI 2P-5P
Duel and Dawn 5P-8P

Interesting plan.

Does Duel want to leave KTSA? People always throw his name in the ring as if he's looking. Is he?

Mavs08
12-12-2007, 05:54 PM

Mike and Mike until 8AM
The Coach 11A-2P
???? & PTI 2P-5P
Duel and Dawn 5P-8P

How many times do you want me to quote Kori saying she has no interest in radio? And Jeff Vexler said in the club he does not want to do any radio!
unless they were both lying to us, and if that is true? then they will fit right in with the bullshit we as listeners have been getting over the airwaves for over 10 years thus they are perfect for San Antonio radio

Barbarian
12-12-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree that Czabe is the best thing 760 has right now. Sheeman and Washington are OK. I started out really liking Rome, but im starting to get tired of his schtik, i guess its worked for him for years now, so why change...but it get a bit played after a while...

i usually dont listen to 760 at all after 1400

I would listen to Rome also. In fact he got me into sports radio. But his act has really got boring. So fucking repetitive. Ironically he drove me to find something else to listen to. So I got XM. Best move I ever made. Czabe, Brick, and Sedano are my shows now. BTW.....Do the Thompsons still have their weekend show? Havent heard them in a while.

PeterBurns
12-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I assume you already forwarded them your resume.

Who do you think I am....

http://members.cox.net/renegade_sith2/miscjunk/saban-money-bags.jpg

=RTM=
12-12-2007, 06:20 PM
=I need to start calling in to JT, Bruno, and local radio again

Free at last!

Free at last!=

Kori Ellis
12-12-2007, 06:21 PM
How many times do you want me to quote Kori saying she has no interest in radio? And Jeff Vexler said in the club he does not want to do any radio!
unless they were both lying to us, and if that is true? then they will fit right in with the bullshit we as listeners have been getting over the airwaves for over 10 years thus they are perfect for San Antonio radio

Off topic but I called your house and you didn't answer.

I will try again right now.

Oh and I think Jeff would return to radio for the right money, but I don't think he would just take any job.

Last Comic Standing
12-12-2007, 07:04 PM
:lmao

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/articles/team_bigfish/LarryNEric/shot1.jpg

ShoogarBear
12-12-2007, 09:41 PM

Mike and Mike until 8AM
The Coach 11A-2P
???? & PTI 2P-5P
Duel and Dawn 5P-8PTrust me on this:

11A-2P-- The ducks and SequSpur Show

Ratings Gold.

BonnerDynasty
12-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Rome is boring. I don't want to listen to inside jokes and talk about the actual listeners for 3 hours.

mouse
12-12-2007, 11:58 PM
I (mouse) will do one show with Mike Taylor (the future of STSA ) and that alone will send ESPN packing!

They will have no choice but to grab their ball and go home! It's really all up to the program Director

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Misc/mouse-ron-3.jpg

Chris Duel
12-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Okay, here's what I would do...

Mike and Mike 5AM-8AM
Kori and Jeff Vexler 8AM-11AM
The Coach 11A-1PM
Sports Smack with Dawn Murphy and Coby Dietrick 1PM-3PM
Peter Burns 3P-7P
SpursTalk.com Open Def Jam 7PM-10PM
Greg Moore 10PM-Midnight

MOUSE's HOUSE of Horrors Midnight-3AM

Chuck Booms' Closet 3AM-5AM

Kori Ellis
12-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi, Chris Duel :) Happy holidays to you and your family.

Chris Duel
12-13-2007, 12:40 AM
Thanks, Kori!

Long time no see!

Chris Duel
12-13-2007, 12:49 AM
While my general rule would be

NO ONE WHO ISN'T FROM SAN ANTONIO

I'd be willing to make an exception for

"Chuck Booms Closet"

and if Chuck is unavailable to leave his Mom's basement in Cleveland, I would consider

"On The Bench with Scott Ferrall"

Point of trivia: When I came back to San Antonio from USC/LaLaLand in the early-90's, I used to listen to a sports talk station at 1250 AM (anyone else remember it?).

The best show on that station was Scott Ferrall. He was a total train wreck, but brilliant. Kind of like Mouse on Prozac.

I've been a fan ever since.

Kori Ellis
12-13-2007, 12:55 AM
and if Chuck is unavailable to leave his Mom's basement in Cleveland
:lmao

PeterBurns
12-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Okay, here's what I would do...

Mike and Mike 5AM-8AM
Kori and Jeff Vexler 8AM-11AM
The Coach 11A-1PM
Sports Smack with Dawn Murphy and Coby Dietrick 1PM-3PM
Peter Burns 3P-7P
SpursTalk.com Open Def Jam 7PM-10PM
Greg Moore 10PM-Midnight

Chuck Booms' Closet 3AM-5AM

This is classic.

Open Def Jam.....I can see LJ already....The Mos Def of Spurs Fans

Put the 3P-7P gig for me?
Personally, I'm pretty deep into the Crown Royal around 5ish, so it would a trainwreck for the first 2 hours, and then a hellish disaster for the last two hours.

Actually, it might be fun to see the transformation to coherent thoughts and rants, to drunken ramblings with inaudible words and phrases.

Besides, could San Antonio put up with 4 hours of LSU talk a day?

Freaking Boom's Closet show.....possibly the best thing I've read in a long time.

Mouse's House of Horrors.....It would be a cult like following. But it would totally have to be on TV like Mike and Mike on ESPN.

samikeyp
12-13-2007, 10:57 AM

Ok...I will come back. :)

Pete and I can do a fantasy football show.

USA Employee
12-13-2007, 12:12 PM

Chuck Booms' Closet 3AM-5AM[/B]

This Chris Duel person is not like what I have seen in my short time in America.
He would make an excellent employee at usaa!

King
12-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Note to self: Start trade talks with Peter at 5:15

XMas TRoLL
12-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks, Kori!

Long time no see!

Pssssssst! you need a ride to the next gtg?
:smokin

PeterBurns
12-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Note to self: Start trade talks with Peter at 5:15

Seriously...If Maroney would have ever shown up It would have been a killer trade.

Although, I hope it doesn't backfire this week.
So far, I still have the upper hand.....

Brandon Marshall 76 Points since Trade
Braylon Edwards 66 Points since Trade.

King
12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Agreed - I just got tired of having Maroney suck on my team, so I decided to send him off. I have one (1) player on my originally drafted team who hasn't missed at least three games with an injury, and that's Tony Romo.

Are we sticking with auction format next year? Nate said that he and the brothers may have to bow out if that's the case.

NateL
12-13-2007, 04:55 PM
This is classic.

Open Def Jam.....I can see LJ already....The Mos Def of Spurs Fans

Put the 3P-7P gig for me?
Personally, I'm pretty deep into the Crown Royal around 5ish, so it would a trainwreck for the first 2 hours, and then a hellish disaster for the last two hours.

Actually, it might be fun to see the transformation to coherent thoughts and rants, to drunken ramblings with inaudible words and phrases.

And why is this any different that any show you and I did together? Actually, one difference...back then it was Red Bull and Vodka fumes left over from the night before. "No, really, I have a show in the morning. I gotta leave."

If Peter does get a show, though, whoever gets his producer gig is going to have to learn how to get from the studio to Panda Express and back in the length of a commercial break. That's a requirement to work with Peter. :hungry:

Al Gore
12-13-2007, 05:36 PM
And why is this any different that any show you and I did together? Actually, one difference...back then it was Red Bull and Vodka fumes left over from the night before. "No, really, I have a show in the morning. I gotta leave."

If Peter does get a show, though, whoever gets his producer gig is going to have to learn how to get from the studio to Panda Express and back in the length of a commercial break. That's a requirement to work with Peter. :hungry:

I thought all you Ticket76 folks all ate at Gombas pizza!

Taco
01-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Whent is this station supposed to start up?

MoSpur
01-07-2008, 10:23 AM
I heard the Dan Patrick show this morning on the Ticket. I miss Out of Bounds.

DannyT
01-07-2008, 10:59 AM
yup yup it was good to hear him on the ticket this morning....just sucks cause i know im not going to be able to hear him often....what are the hours of his show

Harry Callahan
01-07-2008, 11:11 AM

"Chuck Booms Closet"

and if Chuck is unavailable to leave his Mom's basement in Cleveland, I would consider

Point of trivia: When I came back to San Antonio from USC/LaLaLand in the early-90's, I used to listen to a sports talk station at 1250 AM (anyone else remember it?).

The best show on that station was Scott Ferrall. He was a total train wreck, but brilliant. Kind of like Mouse on Prozac.

Scott Ferrall is now on Serrius (SP?) satellite radio - Stern's network. He is still a trainwreck, plus he can drop F-bombs and S-bombs to his heart's delite there since there are no language restrictions like on regular radio. Ferrall is a trip.

MoSpur
01-07-2008, 11:48 AM
yup yup it was good to hear him on the ticket this morning....just sucks cause i know im not going to be able to hear him often....what are the hours of his show

Dan Patrick is 8-11

PeterBurns
01-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow....Did anyone notice that NateL posted here in this thread......I'm impressed

Taco
01-07-2008, 12:08 PM
what ever happened to Chad and Chad's mom?

T Park
01-07-2008, 12:36 PM
so no more Out of bounds?
Dan Patrick is on 760?

Interesting.

BeerIsGood!
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Dan Patrick is still doing his radio show? I thought he retired from it last summer?

NateL
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Wow....Did anyone notice that NateL posted here in this thread......I'm impressed

You impress easily.

"There's only oooooone...Peyton Manning......."

Kori Ellis
01-07-2008, 12:43 PM
You impress easily.

"There's only oooooone...Peyton Manning......."

How is EA Sports? How are Jason and Rob doing?

T Park
01-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Jason and Rob on their show one day got a call from someone from SA and the guy said "Good to see two local boys do good"
And they just were like
"Yeah yeah, what did you want to talk about"

Kind of pissed me off a little.

Kori Ellis
01-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Jason and Rob on their show one day got a call from someone from SA and the guy said "Good to see two local boys do good"
And they just were like
"Yeah yeah, what did you want to talk about"

Kind of pissed me off a little.

What show? I thought they were doing that game show thing for EA Sports.

T Park
01-07-2008, 02:33 PM
fantasy football show on sundays.

i think its done till september, but this was the sunday before christmas, laid up in a hospital listening :lol

nacho
01-07-2008, 03:00 PM

You would think someone who knows about program directing (in San Antonio) would have been a regular at the most popular Spurs site in the country.

:wakeup

UtownSpur
01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I heard the Dan Patrick show this morning on the Ticket. I miss Out of Bounds.

I agree 100% percent! I tried to listen to Patrick this morning and was bored out of my mind. Shemon and JDub always kept me laughing and have good guests on the show as well. My question is...was Patrick cut off at 10am for the abomination of a show that is "Talking Cowboys"? WOW..talk about a waste of an hour.

blackbucket
01-07-2008, 05:02 PM

I'd be willing to make an exception for

"Chuck Booms Closet"

Scott Ferrall is now on Serrius (SP?) satellite radio - Stern's network. He is still a trainwreck, plus he can drop F-bombs and S-bombs to his heart's delite there since there are no language restrictions like on regular radio. Ferrall is a trip.

Scott is on Sirius satellite radio, Howard 101. He is, bar none, the best/craziest/most entertaining, sports guy going. For those of you who don't have satellite, get it. You will never or rarely listen to terrestrial radio again.

Re-Animator
01-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Nate was Entertaining and seem to have some talent. But he and along with many who come barging into San Antonio never try to really connect with the real Spur fans, and thus making them outsiders throughout their stay in this city.

NateL
01-08-2008, 11:06 PM
You would think someone who knows about program directing (in San Antonio) would have been a regular at the most popular Spurs site in the country.

What makes you think I wasn't? :rolleyes I read most of the boards. This was easily my favorite because a) Kori does a great job and b) so many of you really didn't like me and had no problem saying it. It's refreshing to read what people will write when they don't think you'll read it. If you knew I was reading, I'm not sure how much would have been posted ... because some people had genuine comments about what they were hearing and some would have just been trying to get a rise out of me.

But, yes...I've read the boards for a long time. It wasn't until after I left that I created an account and started to post. I don't post a ton, my schedule is too hectic (we have a new baby girl) but I do read quite a bit.

nl

NateL
01-08-2008, 11:08 PM
How is EA Sports? How are Jason and Rob doing?

Jason and Rob are doing great, as always. They are a blast to work with and are having a great time. The game is in Beta mode and we have some pretty big partnership deals we're on the verge of announcing. But we're having a really great time. Thanks for asking.

Kori Ellis
01-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't post a ton, my schedule is too hectic (we have a new baby girl) but I do read quite a bit.

nl

Congrats to you and Mrs Lundy.

NateL
01-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Nate was Entertaining and seem to have some talent. But he and along with many who come barging into San Antonio never try to really connect with the real Spur fans, and thus making them outsiders throughout their stay in this city.

First off, thanks for the initial kind words. I appreciate that.

As for barging in, folks are going to think what they want to think. All I'll say is this--to the outside world, a Program Director may seem to have a pretty substantial amount of power at a radio station. In a way, the person does. But in the end (especially in today's media) the PD is only as powerful as the people above him will allow him to be.

I didn't do everything right, that's for damn sure. But, sometimes there are battles you just can't win. Those of you who post here who know me will know exactly what I mean.

As a final note, I won't let anybody say I'm not a "real Spurs fan". You guys think it's hard to watch a late night West Coast game in the Central Time Zone???? Try doing it here in Orlando!!! Dammit those games are late and the alarm clock comes awfully early. :sleep

Steve Perry
01-09-2008, 12:28 AM
I never understood why WOAI couldn't find something for Chris Duel unless he wanted more money or Nate just didn't like him.

I wonder if we ever know the truth?

Last Comic Standing
01-09-2008, 12:30 AM

And also to the real father.

mouse
01-09-2008, 01:23 AM
I knew Nate had a chip on his shoulder when he did his first show and made sure he didn't take my call. It was so obvious what line I was on since he would say.."lets go to line..........3 hello Tammy welcome to WOAI what would you like to say?"

(bla Bla bla welcome to San Antonio yoda yoda yoda" ok lets go to line 2 hello Hecter welcom to WOAI what would you like to say?

Now lets try Line 3 never going to line 4

This went on for over an hour I would have hung up but I did not want to give Nate the Satisfaction of running Mighty Mouse off .

One thing that always made me wonder was how the radio stations act like certain people never existed. Like when they got rid of Jay Howard all of a sudden he was gone Poof! and no word. In fact if you mentioned his name you got cut off the air.

Same thing with Jeff Vexler, Jason Penny,Chris Duel etc.... In a way it's almost like a slap on the face to the listeners thinking they all will just act as though those people were never born.

And telling folks who call in and complain to turn the dial or not tune in is not something the advertisers want to hear if they are paying money to have their product sold on the radio.

I normally don't let talk radio get my goat but I will never forget when the Spurs won the 2nd ring they dedicated Game night react (used to be for the fans) to the employees of clear channel. It was depressing to have to hear a drunk Jeff Bolton use up 2 hours on how he is so happy and he loves the Spurs and has been a fan since 1812 all Bull shit, and then he calls back and interrupts Walter who is a Knicks fan and has been using the other remaining time to talk about how happy he is to be a Spurs fan.

All this time the real Spur fans who support the team by actually paying for tickets and calling the show all season long didn't get to be on the radio.

So you have a program director, Nate Lundy, Jeff Bolton and Walter all from out of state doing a San Antonio Spurs game night react show? what could be worst a man from Dallas (Mike Taylor) doing a San Antonio STSA radio show?
Not to mention SpursTalk run by a lady from Phoenix?

so much for Puro San Antonio.....:lmao

mouse
01-09-2008, 02:41 AM

And drink Body Solutions :lmao

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://woai.com

mouse
01-09-2008, 03:03 AM

[b]And drink Body Solutions :lmao

USA Employee
01-09-2008, 03:52 AM
WOAI is like curry powder it has a strong odor!

Taco
01-09-2008, 09:28 AM
so no more Out of bounds?
Dan Patrick is on 760?

Interesting.

Dan Patrick =
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2751339/2/istockphoto_2751339_dry_toast_on_plate.jpg

~

Out of Bounds on Fox with Craig Shemon & James Washington =

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/74/51/23235174.jpg

Radio Link
http://msn.foxsports.com/radio

NateL
01-09-2008, 09:56 AM
And also to the real father.

I've been trying to figure out Peter's wherabouts on the night in question.

NateL
01-09-2008, 10:18 AM
I knew Nate had a chip on his shoulder when he did his first show and made sure he didn't take my call. It was so obvious what line I was on since he would say.."lets go to line..........3 hello Tammy welcome to WOAI what would you like to say?"

(bla Bla bla welcome to San Antonio yoda yoda yoda" ok lets go to line 2 hello Hecter welcom to WOAI what would you like to say?

Now lets try Line 3 never going to line 4

This went on for over an hour I would have hung up but I did not want to give Nate the Satisfaction of running Mighty Mouse off .

One thing that always made me wonder was how the radio stations act like certain people never existed. Like when they got rid of Jay Howard all of a sudden he was gone Poof! and no word. In fact if you mentioned his name you got cut off the air.

Same thing with Jeff Vexler, Jason Penny,Chris Duel etc.... In a way it's almost like a slap on the face to the listeners thinking they all will just act as though those people were never born.

And telling folks who call in and complain to turn the dial or not tune in is not something the advertisers want to hear if they are paying money to have their product sold on the radio.

I normally don't let talk radio get my goat but I will never forget when the Spurs won the 2nd ring they dedicated Game night react (used to be for the fans) to the employees of clear channel. It was depressing to have to hear a drunk Jeff Bolton use up 2 hours on how he is so happy and he loves the Spurs and has been a fan since 1812 all Bull shit, and then he calls back and interrupts Walter who is a Knicks fan and has been using the other remaining time to talk about how happy he is to be a Spurs fan.

All this time the real Spur fans who support the team by actually paying for tickets and calling the show all season long didn't get to be on the radio.

So you have a program director, Nate Lundy, Jeff Bolton and Walter all from out of state doing a San Antonio Spurs game night react show? what could be worst a man from Dallas (Mike Taylor) doing a San Antonio STSA radio show?
Not to mention SpursTalk run by a lady from Phoenix?

so much for Puro San Antonio.....:lmao

Like I said, lots of people on this board didn't/don't like me and it's fun to read.

So, here's some responses for ya:

Radio is a pretty ruthless business and extremely competitive. People just 'disappear' from the air because stations can't show their hand to the competition as to what they are doing. Ever hear a music station switch formats? They don't announce it to the world a month before they do it. They just pick a day and a time and flip the switch. It's because they can't let the other stations know what they are doing. Sorry, it's the nature of the business. I don't like it either, but it's the job I had. Oh, and for Steve Perry who asked about Chris Duel--Chris is great talent and a friend. And since he posts here, if you don't believe me, PM him and ask.

Just to clarify--I wasn't the PD for the second ring. Only for the third. If you're thinking of React after Game 7 against the Pistons, then yes--I did host the last hour or so of React that night with Peter. We took over for Jason and Rob because they could barely stand up they were so sloshed. (That's what I get for setting them up to broadcast at Mad Dogs) Peter and I weren't 100% sober either, but we were better off than they were.

As for not taking your call...I didn't take a lot of people's calls. The idea is to get as many people on the air as possible. Especially new callers. Not the same people over and over and over and over and over again. That's talk radio. Jim Rome's mantra of "more of me and less of you is better for the show" isn't something he made up. JT the Brick takes more phone calls than anybody in sports radio, but you better believe his screeners are cycling through those people. Don't take it personally.

2centsworth
01-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Like I said, lots of people on this board didn't/don't like me and it's fun to read.

So, here's some responses for ya:

Radio is a pretty ruthless business and extremely competitive. People just 'disappear' from the air because stations can't show their hand to the competition as to what they are doing. Ever hear a music station switch formats? They don't announce it to the world a month before they do it. They just pick a day and a time and flip the switch. It's because they can't let the other stations know what they are doing. Sorry, it's the nature of the business. I don't like it either, but it's the job I had. Oh, and for Steve Perry who asked about Chris Duel--Chris is great talent and a friend. And since he posts here, if you don't believe me, PM him and ask.

Just to clarify--I wasn't the PD for the second ring. Only for the third. If you're thinking of React after Game 7 against the Pistons, then yes--I did host the last hour or so of React that night with Peter. We took over for Jason and Rob because they could barely stand up they were so sloshed. (That's what I get for setting them up to broadcast at Mad Dogs) Peter and I weren't 100% sober either, but we were better off than they were.

As for not taking your call...I didn't take a lot of people's calls. The idea is to get as many people on the air as possible. Especially new callers. Not the same people over and over and over and over and over again. That's talk radio. Jim Rome's mantra of "more of me and less of you is better for the show" isn't something he made up. JT the Brick takes more phone calls than anybody in sports radio, but you better believe his screeners are cycling through those people. Don't take it personally.

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought Mouse was hilarious on the phone. How can that be such a bad thing?

btw, it's cool that you're sharing :clap .

T Park
01-09-2008, 06:55 PM
personally mouse was funny.

But the whole playing recordings over the phone thing got old.

Taco
01-10-2008, 08:55 AM
personally mouse was funny.

But the whole playing recordings over the phone thing got old.

What you didn't like

"FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST, THANK GOD ALMIGHTY WE'RE FREE AT LAST!!"

tmtcsc
01-10-2008, 11:51 AM

I couldn't agree more. I thought Dan Patrick quit ? His show sucks ass. Its boring and mundane. Who gives a shit what he thinks ? If ESPN analysts aren't trying to be backstage comedians, they are usually emitting a holier than thou attitude..Especially that former ESPN'er Olberman. Ass.

tmtcsc
01-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Last I heard he was a financial advisor/planner for a group called Planto Roe Financial Svcs. and still living in S.A.

Yep..

Also, Ben Maller is absolutely one of the worst voices on radio. He's boring as hell and goes on and on about nothing.

What happened to Sedano ? Ben Maller belongs in the hall of shame like
the Spots Pig, Jim Rome and now Dan Patrick. Just terrible. I just wish satellite worked better in the house.

PeterBurns
01-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Yeah...Nate....How is Allison and My kid?

Taco
01-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Dan Patrick =
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2751339/2/istockphoto_2751339_dry_toast_on_plate.jpg

~

Out of Bounds on Fox with Craig Shemon & James Washington =

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/74/51/23235174.jpg

Radio Link
http://msn.foxsports.com/radio

DAN PATRICK :sleep

BonnerDynasty
01-14-2008, 10:23 AM
DAN PATRICK :sleep

Exactly.

What is so great about this guy? I've listened for 2 or so weeks now and nothing but :sleep :sleep :sleep

And Looney* needs to stfu about politics and stick with Sports.

T Park
01-14-2008, 10:56 AM
looney is like that retard vic the brick in San Diego.

I don't want to hear about your socialist viewpoint jackass. Just do sports.

spursfor
01-15-2008, 10:40 PM
So apparently Chris Duel is doing a local show for ESPN Radio starting Feb 4th, that's going to suck,

Lance
01-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Are you related to Miss Cleo or just another Chris Duel hater?

Lance
01-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Was Nate the vato that looked like he could have been on happy days?

I think I saw a picture of him, he looked like a young Richie Cunningham type physique.

Kori Ellis
01-16-2008, 12:34 AM
So apparently Chris Duel is doing a local show for ESPN Radio starting Feb 4th, that's going to suck,

Why would it suck?

It's Chris Duel and Jason Minnix. They both are very knowledgeable about sports.

T Park
01-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Is this station on the air? I turned to it the other day and nothing was on...

Buddy Holly
01-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Feb 4.

spursfor
01-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Why would it suck?

It's Chris Duel and Jason Minnix. They both are very knowledgeable about sports.
Chris Duel bores the living shit out of me. To be honest I'm really not to keen on the idea of local sports shows/

Kori Ellis
01-16-2008, 01:56 AM
Chris Duel bores the living shit out of me. To be honest I'm really not to keen on the idea of local sports shows/

Well you might like Chris' style for sports. Who knows.

Kori Ellis
01-16-2008, 01:57 AM
In case anyone missed it....

Chris Duel loses KTSA show
Next month, KTSA's "Chris Duel Show" will be history.

The longtime radio talk host is losing the KTSA afternoon talk show that he's poured his heart and soul into over the years.

BMP Radio has brought in a news-sports figure from a radio station in the Rio Grande Valley -- named Jeff Koch -- to take over that 4-to-7 p.m. show.

Duel is being moved to S.A.'s new ESPN radio affiliate -- 1250 AM, tagged "The Zone" -- which BMP is launching Feb. 4.

Duel will co-anchor the evening show from 5 to 7 p.m. with Jason Minnix, formerly a Saturday morning sports host on KLUP-AM here.

Duel said he'll make the announcement to his listeners at the top of the 5 p.m. hour on his KTSA show today. He'll then bring in Minnix and introduce him.

Mark Landis, BMP Radio's director of programming (for English-language stations here), said the new host will sit in with Duel for a while until Duel waves goodbye to his talk show on Feb. 1.

Listeners can get a feel for Koch, whom Landis describes as having a "fresh and exciting new perspective," when he subs for the vacationing Trey Wares on KTSA's morning show next week. Landis said Koch was an award-winning presence at KURV-AM in McAllen, where he's served as newsman, sportscaster and afternoon drive host.

Landis said Duel's ratings -- which he described as "up and down" -- weren't a factor in the move.

Always a trouper and team player, Duel said of his upcoming KZDC sports gig: "It's a new challenge. I'll greet the new show and new role with enthusiasm and do my best to support it."

Though Duel did his darnedest to sound happy, it's no secret the guy's dream-come-true was becoming part of San Antonio's general talk world of radio eight years ago.

The S.A. native got his big break eight years ago, when he was hired at WOAI. He spent four years as co-host of WOAI's afternoon show, before getting yanked.

KTSA scooped him up as soon as he was free from his six-month non-compete agreement at WOAI. He hosted "The Chris Duel Show" for the past 3 1/2 years.

Mark Landis said Duel is upbeat about his new sports post. He said it's not a demotion for Duel -- though he couldn't comment on whether it would mean a cut in pay for the KTSA talk host.

Upbeat, maybe. Duel always tries to make the most of what comes his way. However, as the radio-TV columnist who's gotten to know Duel's fervor when it comes to politics and other newsy topics, I can guarantee this: Losing his talk forum in a presidential election year must be breaking his heart.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/jakle06/

Chris Duel
01-16-2008, 03:01 AM
It's all good.

NateL is a fantastic guy, as is Peter, Mouse and pretty much everyone in here.

Kori, I'm a huge fan of yours, as you know. I told you years ago that you should host your own radio or TV show (and I sense you will).

Since the word is out there, yes, I'm headed to ESPN Radio 1250 The Zone.

Unlike other sportstalk shows in this town, we will consciously and overtly partner with you here at SpursTalk.com

I honestly believe that THIS is the best sports board in Texas. I would be a fool not to co-opt as many of you who want to participate in the ESPN broadcasts as possible.

We will be rolling out some amazing interactive innovations that no one is doing anywhere in sports radio. It will truly be a radio station by and for the sports fan. That's what I'm most excited about.

More info to follow.

Kori Ellis
01-16-2008, 03:23 AM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting. As you know (since we have been talking about it on and off for four years :lol), I would love to work with you on something, maybe on a weekly basis. Nothing that I'd have to actually go into work on a daily basis or anything :lmao I think you and Jason will really flourish. I know how much you loved your KTSA show, but I'm sure you can turn this into a fantastic opportunity.

Thanks for thinking of including SpursTalk and its fab posters.

Talk to you soon.

--Kori

timvp
01-16-2008, 03:35 AM
Duel and Minnix are both good people and have a passion for sports. Honestly, I never listen to radio but this pairing might make me actually tune in. Duel has been a SpursTalk supporter since day 1 and him and Minnix have good Spurs knowledge. Should be a success :tu

P.S.

Even though I'm not a big fan of Lundy, gotta give him props for posting in this thread.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-16-2008, 03:47 AM
Like timvp I don't listen to the radio either. But a possible association with spurs talk would make me a listener.

maxpower
01-16-2008, 08:53 AM
edit*

thanks Kori.

First item is to begin the show at 4 pm....3 pm if you want to compete on a level field with the other sports talk show.

Taco
01-16-2008, 02:27 PM
It's all good.

NateL is a fantastic guy, as is Peter, Mouse and pretty much everyone in here.

Kori, I'm a huge fan of yours, as you know. I told you years ago that you should host your own radio or TV show (and I sense you will).

Since the word is out there, yes, I'm headed to ESPN Radio 1250 The Zone.

Unlike other sportstalk shows in this town, we will consciously and overtly partner with you here at SpursTalk.com

I honestly believe that THIS is the best sports board in Texas. I would be a fool not to co-opt as many of you who want to participate in the ESPN broadcasts as possible.

We will be rolling out some amazing interactive innovations that no one is doing anywhere in sports radio. It will truly be a radio station by and for the sports fan. That's what I'm most excited about.

More info to follow.

Congrats Chris!!!

2centsworth
01-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Including Spurstalk in your local sports show seems smart to me. Nowhere do you get th breathe of sportsnews that's available here. MMA, Boxing, Nascar, Spurs, Cowboys, Big 12 sports, UTSA and SWT sports, etc... Good fresh takes are here!!!

btw, kori make the check payable to Pete H.:lol

Winston Wolf
01-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Bring back Johnny Bottom-line!

Shank
01-16-2008, 05:40 PM
I like how every new radio show promises to bring something "new" to the table, yet never fully delivers.

But best of luck to you.

How were Taylor's numbers this last ratings book?

2centsworth
01-16-2008, 05:42 PM
I like how every new radio show promises to bring something "new" to the table, yet never fully delivers.

But best of luck to you.

that station needs to do something drastic to save itself.

Shank
01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
that station needs to do something drastic to save itself.

I'm not in SA, so I don't know how bad off the station may be. I agree Duel would do well to have the somewhat built-in audience coming from ST right off the bat. But it won't work so well to run in members from the board to take up space on the show. Some may work if they're presented well enough, but most listeners don't want to listen to the average joe talk.

Listeners obviously love to interact and want to feel as much of a part of the show as possible. With that, the show would need to make itself available to the audience without having them interrupt his talents on the air (such as emails, texts, voicemail line, call of the day, etc.).

How has Taylor been doing, though? Still a bitter pill to swallow?

degenerate_gambler
01-16-2008, 05:52 PM

dude's still probably talking cowboys, cowboys, cowboys.

USA Employee
01-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Bring back Chuck Booms!

2centsworth
01-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm not in SA, so I don't know how bad off the station may be. I agree Duel would do well to have the somewhat built-in audience coming from ST right off the bat. But it won't work so well to run in members from the board to take up space on the show. Some may work if they're presented well enough, but most listeners don't want to listen to the average joe talk. I think you'll be surpised the following ST can bring. Nevertheless, Duel will bring in the person looking for local talent and Paul Alexander brings way more than Taylor IMO.

Listeners obviously love to interact and want to feel as much of a part of the show as possible. With that, the show would need to make itself available to the audience without having them interrupt his talents on the air (such as emails, texts, voicemail line, call of the day, etc.).

How has Taylor been doing, though? Still a bitter pill to swallow?taylor IMHO isn't very good. Of course the Dallas thing is weird, but there are other things he says which makes him even weirder. for instance, he continues to tell people how old he is and that he's over the hill. The dude is 32 yrs old, give me a break.

Shank
01-16-2008, 06:08 PM
I think you'll be surpised the following ST can bring. Nevertheless, Duel will bring in the person looking for local talent and Paul Alexander brings way more than Taylor IMO.

taylor IMHO isn't very good. Of course the Dallas thing is weird, but there are other things he says which makes him even weirder. for instance, he continues to tell people how old he is and that he's over the hill. The dude is 32 yrs old, give me a break.

I have no doubts about the following. I'm just saying it might not be the best idea to make the phone lines their playground by always having a regular listener/messageboard savant as the voice of criticism for the Spurs play. You guys will all be a perfect accompaniment if Duel kicks off the show in grand fashion.

K1NGSFAN
01-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Andy Everett best GNR host ever.

2centsworth
01-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I have no doubts about the following. I'm just saying it might not be the best idea to make the phone lines their playground by always having a regular listener/messageboard savant as the voice of criticism for the Spurs play. You guys will all be a perfect accompaniment if Duel kicks off the show in grand fashion.
if it turns into the spurstalk click then the show will be doomed. I don't think that will happen.

degenerate_gambler
01-16-2008, 06:20 PM
taylor IMHO isn't very good. Of course the Dallas thing is weird, but there are other things he says which makes him even weirder. for instance, he continues to tell people how old he is and that he's over the hill. The dude is 32 yrs old, give me a break.

that and everyone is "homes"...

Shank
01-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Be sure to side with a good, local pizza place. I hear it does wonders for the show.

PeterBurns
01-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I've always thought it would be VERY wise to work enlist the help of SpursTalk.

Let me do my best Coach Talk here......(Ahem....on the podium)

I think it's great that ESPN is coming to town. The more people we can get interested into the medium of Sports Radio the better. San Antonio is a growing town, and we here at the Ticket 760 are excited about this addition to the AM Dial.

Now please eat at Goomba's today.

Thank you for your support.....

Best of luck Senor Duel.
By the way, when's that lunch?

wrench
01-16-2008, 07:01 PM
It's ok to plug a restaurant if they pay to have commercials on your show.
But to act as though you wouldn't eat anywhere else but Goomba's...bla.. bla.. bla.....is so cheesy and predictable. And makes the everyday listener not want to eat there ever.

Simon Cowell
01-16-2008, 10:37 PM
By this time next year Chris Duel will be as popular as Jim Rome.

Taco
01-17-2008, 04:50 PM
I've been listening all week to ticket 760 STSA

Question

Does San Antonio still have a Basketball team?

duncan228
01-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Does San Antonio still have a Basketball team?

Not until after March. :)

tmtcsc
01-17-2008, 04:59 PM
that and everyone is "homes"...

Don't forget about "Mama" this and "Mama wont like it if..."

or having a partner with the name of Jim Bob. Please,God.

Does anyone else feel like the Dallas accent is annoying too ?. He spits out his words in a rhythmic drawl..ugh.

On the good side, he is professional and usually somewhat prepared. I like Wally off the air but dude was terrible solo. He just couldn't handle it.

Taco's Troll
01-30-2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.staatalent.com/Headlines/0801/16kzdc.htm

KZDC SAN ANTONIO FLIPPING TO SPORTS RADIO
Courtesy Radio and Records
(January 16, 2008) Border Media Partners is ready to launch a new sports station in San Antonio on KZDC-AM on Feb. 4.
BMP going to change regional Mexican oldies KZDC (Radio Unica) to sports. Effective Feb. 4, the station will be known at ESPN 1250 The Zone. While featuring primarily syndicated ESPN programming, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. the station will feature "Coach Paul Alexander,” who comes from KTSA, where he was sports director.

Also locally produced will be the 5-7 p.m. slot with a team show featuring Chris Duel, Jason Minnix and Dawn Murphy.

maxpower
01-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Again...i can't stress enough that Chris's show should be from 3 or 4pm to 6...maybe 7.

My prime radio listening hours are all day at work. I will tune in to radio while driving anytime from 4-6pm.

But I can see them starting small and expanding as needed...though beginning after the other show won't help.

SpurHonkey
01-30-2008, 08:36 PM

During the time slot for his show

In men 25-54:

4.3 = #9 in the market

In men 35-44:

6.2 = #3 in the market, ahead of even WOAI.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2008, 08:39 PM
In men 25-54 from 3-6 p.m.:

4.3 = #9 in the market

In men 35-44 from 3-6 p.m.:

6.2 = #3 in the market, ahead of even WOAI.

If that's true, it's pretty impressive. I heard that in the past STSA pulled between a .7 and 2.5.

SpurHonkey
01-30-2008, 08:45 PM
I was told that this is the first time that the 3-6 time slot on 760 has ever been in the top 10 for any demo.

grindmouse
01-30-2008, 09:19 PM
I was told that this is the first time that the 3-6 time slot on 760 has ever been in the top 10 for any demo.

That's easy considering there are only 10 shows on the AM dial altogether.

2 are country 3 are tejano 2 are politics 1 is religion 1 is hip hop and one is sports. and since there is no other sports show on in this city that award is not that impressive. :lmao

Duncan
01-30-2008, 09:29 PM

Is that from this show being so good or Walter's show was so awful?

SpurHonkey
01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
That's easy considering there are only 10 shows on the AM dial altogether.

2 are country 3 are tejano 2 are politics 1 is religion 1 is hip hop and one is sports. and since there is no other sports show on in this city that award is not that impressive. :lmao

Rankings are based on every radio station in the market...not just AM stations. So those numbers are up against everybody - FM included.

PeterBurns
01-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Not too shabby bitches....Now we just need a damn local morning show and we might be on to something....

Duncan
01-31-2008, 03:34 AM
Rankings are based on every radio station in the market...not just AM stations. So those numbers are up against everybody - FM included.

Link?

grindmouse
01-31-2008, 03:37 AM

If what you say is true? Then I take back what I said and congrats to the ticket! :toast

SpurHonkey
01-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Link?

The breakdowns for demos aren't posted anywhere, as far as I could find. My buddy who works at KGNB in New Braunfels is the one who told me about the ratings.

If you go to radioandrecords.com, you can see the Arbitron ratings for all persons 12+...which Ticket jumped from a 0.9 last book to a 1.5. Again, this is based on all time slots with listeners 12+.

Steve Perry
01-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Smoke and Mirrors. :lmao

Kori Ellis
02-04-2008, 12:49 AM
This starts tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to hearing Chris Duel and Jason Minnix together (and Dawn too).

All three of them are friends of mine and I certainly hope everyone here will give them a fair chance! :tu

USA Employee
02-04-2008, 07:39 AM
I hope I hear you at least once a day to tell us whats cooking in the new "Kori's Kitchen" daily Spurs update! :tu

Pick of Destiny
02-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Kori Rules!

dawn
02-04-2008, 09:07 AM
The National broadcast kicked off this morning. The local shows will not kick off until next week. BMP built us BRAND NEW studios and all of the equipment for the local shows is almost completed being put in. From what I am hearing around the building this equipment is top notch stuff

Danny Trejo
02-04-2008, 09:24 AM
From what I am hearing around the building this equipment is top notch stuff

What was you using before S A?

dawn
02-04-2008, 09:26 AM
The KTSA stuff.

Buddy Holly
02-04-2008, 09:30 AM
The National broadcast kicked off this morning. The local shows will not kick off until next week. BMP built us BRAND NEW studios and all of the equipment for the local shows is almost completed being put in. From what I am hearing around the building this equipment is top notch stuff

What's the website url? And will you guys have live web cam during the shows?

Tree hugger
02-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Dawn sounds like a nice person maybe we should not bother her with so many questions.

Taco
02-04-2008, 10:01 AM
What's the website url? And will you guys have live web cam during the shows?

Please Stream the show

dawn
02-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I believe that is all coming.

objective
02-23-2008, 05:53 PM
now that the search feature is back on, I can post to this thread my first experience with the new station.

The day of the Kurt Thomas trade, 6:00. I switch over from the STSA show, which is somewhat better than the show it replaced, thinking that I'll at least hear some Kurt Thomas related talk, or other NBA trade talk and news discussion. After all, the Thomas trade was only a half hour old, and new details may emerge. What will the impact of Thomas be, can he start, how long will it take for him to adjust, what are the expectations, what about the draft pick, luxury tax implications . . . basically all the things on this here board.

Unfortunately the show was a complete disaster, and I won't be listening to that lame garbage again.

The first segment of the show starting after 6, the Thomas trade got a brief mention as a news piece, maybe 30 seconds worth. The rest of the segment was devoted to: having to hurry up and piss during the hour break (one of my biggest pet peeve radio cliches ever), meeting corporate radio people in hallways, Elson and jokes about whether he tried to pick up the radio girl, jokes about a Cowboys player and his ass and women liking that ass, jokes about who had the biggest junk back in the day with the Spurs, and other attempts at humor with tired sexual innuendo. I should add that almost none of the jokes were funny at all, but the kind of routine "Don't Go There!" grouptalk that you can find on any radio station.

Now, I don't mean that as a total indictment of the show. That kind of radio is what sportstalk in San Antonio has been for years. The kind of sportstalk I've been used to on slow news days in San Antonio radio forever. Reminded me of the time when on STSA there was at least an entire segment (with Chancellor I believe) dedicated to arguing over arm-hair.

But it wasn't a slow newsday. There was actually something worth talking about.

But the show dragged on and on, with some actual unremarkable sports questions with Miketenic, and then the balance of the hour all about dude's packages. They even brought Kevin O'Keefe on the air to bask in the glory of unit talk.

Slow newsdays = need to talk about 'stuff' and other things outside the sportsworld, for most shows I understand that (there are shows that are all sports all the time, truly great shows, but you have to get them off the net in various ways).

But come on, the Spurs just made a trade, by Spurs standards even a 'big trade'. Can't the piss talk and talk about pissing on hands and rods and balls wait until the MLB all-star break or some other dead-time?

T Park
02-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah, Im a little dissapointed in the show.

Its a sports show that seems to not talk alot about sports.

Oh well.

GoGatos
02-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Since the spirited trash-talking is now at full bore, I might as well step in here with this little barb...

STSA was on the Thomas trade withing 10 minutes of Ludden breaking the news on Yahoo...that was followed by 40 minutes or so of discussion on the trade and it's ramifications for not only the Spurs, but the rest of the West. Also threw out the idea of Barry possibly pulling a Stackhouse type deal untiul our show went off the air at 6.

For what it's worth, we know absolutely nothing about the size of Mike Bratz' package and could care less. I have no qualms about conceding knowledge of ABA spurs players' dongs to ESPN 1250 the Zone.

ESPN 1250 = Spurs Players' Dong Talk and Eva Farting

STSA on Ticket760 = Breaking Spurs news and in-depth discussion thereof.

We report. You decide.

BonnerDynasty
02-25-2008, 07:17 PM
What was that garbage Taylor just pulled? Advertising a Bruce Bowen interview for 2 hours and then when it finally gets here...it's just a b.s. 5 minute interview about his wife's spa place. Chicken shit move.

GoGatos
02-25-2008, 07:39 PM
We were told we could have a one-on-one with Bruce, so we jumped at it. We didn't realize until we got there that he wasn't going to talk basketball. Either way, we wanted to talk to Bruce. We made the best of it and decided to talk to Bruce as a person, rather than just a basketball player.

I'm sorry you felt cheated by the interview.

nacho
02-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Pssssst! 1250 AM ESPN is live now talking Spurs!

GoGatos
02-25-2008, 08:04 PM
really? actual spurs talk or ABA spurs talk?..or talk about an ABA spurs player's dingus?

BTW, STSA talked Spurs for over 2 hours. Other time was spent on Cowboys.

...just trying to be fair and balanced.

Tree hugger
02-25-2008, 08:06 PM
The ESPN show was only 2 hours how much time does STSA have?

pickle girl
02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
The ticket has been around since Regan was president. the ESPN show the Zone has only been around a month.
It's so easy to be a Giants fan it takes a real man to be a Saints fan.

Duncan
02-25-2008, 08:18 PM
By the numbers..............

The Zone

Hosted by a "Real" Spurs fan

STSA

Hosted by a Mavs fan acting like a Spurs fan

The Zone

Hosted by a man who went to high school in San Antonio

STSA

Hosted by a man who went to high school in Jersey

The Zone

Has Dawn the NASCAR chick

STSA

Has Joe Bob who still uses dial up!

The Zone has callers like

Tpark,Kori,mouse,David Chancelore

STSA has callers like Hector from the south side

The Zone has commercials of products that really work

STSA has commercials of over priced stale as shit Gomba's Pizza

you do the math folks............................

Mavs08
02-25-2008, 08:32 PM
I can't wait till Mike Taylor moves back to Dallas I wonder what team he will claim he loves then? :lmao

dawn
02-25-2008, 09:45 PM
As far as the Trade day talk, I guess you missed the 5, our first hour, we had on Cowboys Legend Charlie Waters since the NFL steroid use of the past was the top story of the day. The trade news became OFFICIAL around 5:10 PM and We broke in and gave the trade news and as soon as the interview was done, we went right to the talk about the trade and did it the rest of the 5 PM hour. Sorry you missed it.

GoGatos
02-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I am sorry I missed it. It appears many others did too ;-).

It's people like Duncan (who posted above, not the real duncan obviously) I truly do not understand. There is a faction of people in this town who are so afflicted with this inferiority complex that they cannot STAND the idea that someone from out-of-town could do ANYTHING in the media in THIS town. It's like they take it as an insult. It's the same complex that sends them into a frenzy everytime ESPN (national network, obviously) slobbers the Lakers and Celtics and calls the Spurs boring. If you routinely get pissed about it, that's an inferiority complex, plain and simple. Who cares what the national media thinks? WE know the truth.

It's the same thing with the mentality that someone who isn't from here can't talk sports here. Or that someone who is a fan of another team can't talk sports here. That is small-minded. Peter Burns made this point in another thread. "If you use the logic that someone from here can't talk Spurs, then Kori can't run SpursTalk."

I realize Kori has been here for a long time now, but at some point, she was a newbie/"foreigner."

Look, I understand the whole "Puro San ANtonio" thing. I really do. But at the same time, it is a small-market mentality. This city is growing. This market is growing. I am a lifelong San ANtonian (lived in Johnson City but spent every weekend and nearly every summer here at my granma's), but sports fans in this town are chronically myopic.

There is no point in trading barbs here anymore because you can't sway the masses on a message board, no matter how hard you try. Even is Dawn/Chris can sway every member on this board to listen to their show, that less than 11,000 people. It's a sizeable group, mind you, but it's still the vast minority.

The point is, I'd like to think that the members of this board are smart enough to make decisions on their own without reverting to "well Taylor is from Dallas so he knows NOTHING" and not even give him a shot.

Taylor's first ratings book speaks for itself. It'll take more than a grassroots effort and spongebob/sneaker talk to beat him.

dawn
02-25-2008, 10:12 PM
You're right...let's talk cougars... Was that Clark Cougars? :)

GoGatos
02-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with Cougar talk :-D ...it encompasses maybe 3-4 minutes of show on avg...MAYBE.

BTW, "Duncan," my name is JIM Bob...and I have high speed internet...thanks for playing though. I appreciate your attempt at redneck humor.

T Park
02-25-2008, 10:18 PM
GoGatos

So insulting your customers is how you roll?

Good stuff.

Whats the customer service line over at WOAI?

Kori Ellis
What did he say that was insulting?

mouse
GoGatos you seem to know your smack. It may be 2004 but it's better than I see online these days.

I have a question, why do you suppose Mike Taylor backed out of meeting Chris Duel live on the radio?

Kori Ellis
02-25-2008, 10:22 PM
This thread is funny.

Bottomline is that it's too early to tell if Taylor or Duel/Minnix will be any good in the long run. Taylor could have good ratings last book due to people being thrilled that the previous hosts were gone (who knows!) Duel/Minnix could get good ratings now and then fizzle out in 3 months, or never get off the ground because of lack of advertising.

Everyone can just tune in and if they hate it, then tune out. I'm not saying that either station can (or can't be good).

When I want good sports talk, I just talk to my husband. :lol But obviously, everyone will have to listen in and make a decision for themselves.

I wish you all good luck because San Antonio deserves to have as much good sports talk as possible!

GoGatos
02-25-2008, 10:22 PM
For the same reason you don't see commericials for Target on the TV's at Wal-Mart.

It's competition. You really think we'd be dumb enough to give Duel and Co. free pub on our airwaves?

dawn
02-25-2008, 10:30 PM
It has worked well for Conan, Stewart, and Colbert... I love it!!!! :spin

mouse
02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
I truly do not understand. There is a faction of people in this town who are so afflicted with this inferiority complex that they cannot STAND the idea that someone from out-of-town could do ANYTHING in the media in THIS town.

I have to disagree! You can be from another City as long as you stand behind your beliefs and say "I am a Mavs fan" Deal with it! I lost respect for him when he just Abandoned his city and team to make a quick buck! Then he tries to act like he is Latino like the Mexicans here In San Antonio don't know any better!

You guys fucked up! You could have the lines jammed 24/7 if you let the Spur fans of San Antonio calling in upset at this Maverick fan. Hell I would call in and so would many other Mav fans to defend the 2008 NBA Champions.

This town loves confrontations. Just ask them about Johnny Bottom-line.
You guys could have 600 Angry Spur fans many Mexicans protesting at the Ticket studios. It would gather National Attention. Hell Obama and Al Sharpton may show up.

But instead you made mike Taylor into some sort of spineless tree hugger sellout. And it's not easy to forgive someone for turning his back on his city and his team.

After all if you lie to people about your heritage and where you come from, how are we going to believe you when you say Goomba's is the best pizza in town?

mouse
02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
For the same reason you don't see commericials for Target on the TV's at Wal-Mart.

Maybe one day you will see that commercial it's not like it may never happen.

It's competition. You really think we'd be dumb enough to give Duel and Co. free pub on our airwaves?

ESPN and Duel would have no problem saying your Stations name or your name or Body Solutions on the air for more than 10 times! That is why he is better than you. You talk about being smart and you make it sound like your a fare vato but as soon as someone mentions another show on your airwaves you act like that kid who busted open the pinata and wants no one to touch his candy!

Besides Mike Taylor can show up at ESPN who said you have to promote it or mention it on your station?

I am glad your not working for the news paper God knows what you would delete from the front page. Your no Jennie Jakel that's for sure.

Have you thought about working for Bush? They need folks who know how to fool the public!

GoGatos
02-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Mouse, you have a valid point. However, I'd argue that we would have been scrutinized either way. If we play up the Dallas card, people tune us off immiediately and never listen again, because of the inferiority complex I mentioned. If we completely sell out, we lose respect from real hardcore sports fans in this town who could care less where his allegiance lies.

And for the record, he never once stated he wasn't a mavs fan and has never said he roots for the Spurs. He covers the SPurs and reports on them like anyone else would.

But mouse, educated sports fans who care more that he "sold out" are in the minority, and you know it.

GoGatos
02-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Maybe one day you will see that commercial it's not like it may never happen.

ESPN and Duel would have no problem saying your Stations name or your name or Body Solutions on the air for more than 10 times! That is why he is better than you. You talk about being smart and you make it sound like your a fare vato but as soon as someone mentions another show on your airwaves you act like that kid who busted open the pinata and wants no one to touch his candy!

Besides Mike Taylor can show up at ESPN who said you have to promote it or mention it on your station?

I am glad your not working for the news paper God knows what you would delete from the front page. Your no Jennie Jakel that's for sure.

Mouse, you are correct. I am no Jeanne Jakle. I would use more than one email from a "listener/reader" before writing a column publicly (and incorrectly, I might add) blasting a radio station. It's called journalistic ethics, and I have it.

It's also the same reason we won't show up at ESPN. Russia doesn't bother themselves with Chechnya.

mouse
02-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Mouse, you have a valid point. However, I'd argue that we would have been scrutinized either way

Not really what other show could the Sports fan tune into? They may be pissed but they will tune in.

If we play up the Dallas card, people tune us off immiediately and never listen again, because of the inferiority complex I mentioned.

I guess you never heard of Kiley and Booms? How about Chris Duel and Chuck Booms? He was a Cleveland Cavaleres fan. That is why you have a co-Host who is a Spurs fan!

If what you say is true? Then why shove Walter down our throats? he is a NY Knick's fan. At least Mike is a Texan!

And for the record, he never once stated he roots for the Spurs.

Will you pay me 900.00 cash if I let you hear the tape of his first 3 shows that prove you wrong?

But mouse, educated sports fans who care more that he "sold out" are in the minority, and you know it.

And you don't think the minority should have a voice?

Don't bring race in this brah................don't go there!

mouse
02-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Mouse, you are correct.

That goes w/o saying :smokin

I might add blasting a radio station. It's called journalistic ethics, and I have it.

Wow your gonna go far in this business kid. You never seen Countdown?
CNBC and Fox go at it all the time! Speaking of Time? Look at Time Magazine they sell magazines on blasting politicians and celebrities!

But I now know where you are coming from brah and I had no idea you was felling this way...............

Can you wait here while I switch to my Tree hugger screen name?

Žarko Paspalj
02-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Hello guys, long time lurker here and I thought I would give some input from a person who never gets asked their opinion or is asked to participate in any ratings surveys.

I do alot of driving around the city for my job and I listen to the radio constantly. I mostly listen to WOAI because I really dont like music. I pretty much listen to WOAI on the drive into work in the morning and then constantly from 9 to until get home in the evenings about 6 or 7 depending on how busy I am. I have never really liked Chris Duel, even when he was with WOAI in the afternoons. He always seemed chaotic, and his voice is kinda annoying. He just rubbs me the wrong way. I only listed to him then because Charlie Parker was with him and that made the show ok at the time, and there was no other talkshow I could find at the time that I thought was any better. The guy who replaced him in the afternoon I really thought was a dork (I cant remember his name), and tried listening to other stations at the time but never really found a home and came back to him. I was happy that they replaced him with the Thompson Brothers. Their show was great. I loved their show. It was funny as hell and I was sad to see them leave. I liked Joe Pags in morning, but in the afternoon I think he has too much air time and to me he just comes across as a really big dork. He is seldom funny. I gave him a couple of months and then, I switched over to STSA with Mike Taylor. I enjoy his show. It isn't my favorite show, but it is ok to listen too. It isnt real funny, but it is funny enough and enjoyable enough to listen to. I have been listening to him for a couple of weeks now, (pretty much since the poutine show) and I will continue to listen to him. I might check out the Chris Duel show on 1250, but I dont think I will like it since I didnt like his radio show or the Ancira commericals.

Trainwreck2100
02-26-2008, 12:30 AM
I love how they cited the hoopsworld article about Brent Barry today, and then Taylor said that hoopsworld is "good" keep in mind hoopsworld reported that Malone signed with the spurs two years ago and continues to report horseshit

T Park
02-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah Taylor has the basketball knowledge of a grapefruit.

"But hes from outside of SA so hes better!!!"

Tenacious D
02-26-2008, 01:08 AM
Hello guys, long time lurker here and I thought I would give some input from a person who never gets asked their opinion or is asked to participate in any ratings surveys.

I do alot of driving around the city for my job and I listen to the radio constantly. I mostly listen to WOAI because I really dont like music. I pretty much listen to WOAI on the drive into work in the morning and then constantly from 9 to until get home in the evenings about 6 or 7 depending on how busy I am. I have never really liked Chris Duel, even when he was with WOAI in the afternoons. He always seemed chaotic, and his voice is kinda annoying. He just rubbs me the wrong way. I only listed to him then because Charlie Parker was with him and that made the show ok at the time, and there was no other talkshow I could find at the time that I thought was any better. The guy who replaced him in the afternoon I really thought was a dork (I cant remember his name), and tried listening to other stations at the time but never really found a home and came back to him. I was happy that they replaced him with the Thompson Brothers. Their show was great. I loved their show. It was funny as hell and I was sad to see them leave. I liked Joe Pags in morning, but in the afternoon I think he has too much air time and to me he just comes across as a really big dork. He is seldom funny. I gave him a couple of months and then, I switched over to STSA with Mike Taylor. I enjoy his show. It isn't my favorite show, but it is ok to listen too. It isnt real funny, but it is funny enough and enjoyable enough to listen to. I have been listening to him for a couple of weeks now, (pretty much since the poutine show) and I will continue to listen to him. I might check out the Chris Duel show on 1250, but I dont think I will like it since I didnt like his radio show or the Ancira commericals.

Very good 1st post! welcome to ST feel free to post more often!

I hope you are able to have a beer with me and Chris one day when your in San Antonio!

80DtQD5BQ_A

Tenacious D
02-26-2008, 01:20 AM
I love how they cited the hoopsworld article about Brent Barry today, and then Taylor said that hoopsworld is "good" keep in mind hoopsworld reported that Malone signed with the spurs two years ago and continues to report horseshit

^ RACK!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Guitar-1.gif

Willinsa
02-26-2008, 01:57 AM
Yeah Taylor has the basketball knowledge of a grapefruit.

"But hes from outside of SA so hes better!!!"

I stopped listening to that dumbass during the college bowl season when he was talking about all bowls. He said that the Champs (Sports clothing store) bowl was sponsered by Chammps (National Sports bar), if he can't do his homework on that he is not worth my time.

Also the Clinton impressions commericals are stupid, it gets old really quick.

Tenacious D
02-26-2008, 01:59 AM
But your the minority!

objective
02-26-2008, 04:15 AM
as the one who resurrected this thread I need to add back onto it.

RE: Dawn and the first hour of the show that I missed being the one with the trade talk . . . sorry I did miss it. But there was a whole other hour 30 minutes after the trade was done, I didn't need nor want schlong, ball, urine, corporate name-dropping, man ass, or other stuff that lasted a whole fricken' hour. And that's not to say I'm some stuffed shirt. If it was all about arm-hair and bad movies and topic wheels or whatever it would be the same, as in it wouldn't be about the Spurs news that mattered.

Now I'm also not someone who works for the other station. I wrote previously that it was somewhat better than the Vex/Wally show, but today I turned it on and it was a lot of minutes about man grooming and biting fingernails. I knew it was only because of the Bowen spa subject, but when I hear guys trying to be funny or trying to relate about 'stuff' or teasing the co-host/update/traffic guy for 15 minutes I get to hate it.

Now I can't really hate either show for doing it. History in the San Antonio market has proven that when it comes to sportstalk a show that imo is bad/boring equals at least a few years of job security. I can't hate on people making a living.

Here's what I do instead.

I get mp3s of good shows either national or out of market and record soundstreams of others that are streamed live that I can listen to in lieu of the local shows, which I pretty much only check out when I'm driving or when there's Spurs or Cowboys news and I hope it can break through the schtick.

I already do the Rome mp3s (which is not my favorite, but I don't get to hear it live, and with mp3 I can fast forward through the interviews which are always predictable). I also record the streams for the Jorge Sedano talk show in Miami where there's better NBA talk than locally. Hell, better Spurs talk too.

I also get access to some other shows that are worthwhile. Even if the mp3 is a day old, I'll listen to a particular show dated over live and local.

dawn
02-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I get that. I can tell you I understand your view and what you like. Yesterday we talked a ton about Spurs/Cowboys/ UT Basketball and back on Spurs. They talked to Johnny at 6:45 about his shoes since he did say he would be standing in line on friday to get them. I know some may not think so, but Jordans are a piece of sports history and the fact that they "CLAIM" these are the last ones, it makes it worthy of talking about.

With that said, and it is probably true on both stations, stations believe that there is more of a interest in "MAN TALK" then all out "SPORTSRADIO". This is why you see the stupid stuff like "BABE OF THE DAY" and other junk. It is a fine line to try and cater to both. I know for a FACT that there are people out there who listen to sports radio for SPORTS, ALL SPORTS. They don't care if it is Baseball, NASCAR, Football, NCAA, etc...as long as it is SPORTS that is all they want. Then there are those who just want Spurs, or just want Cowboys. Then there are those that arn't sure what they want, other than to be entertained. I also will throw in the last and forgotten catagory, there are WOMEN who listen also.

Trying to keep a balance and please EVERYONE is hard. Not only that, but sports transends now into NEWS. I know we won't always please everyone. Hell I know there are folks out there that don't like NASCAR and don't want to hear about it. At the same time it is the second most watch sport behind the NFL and that is why it gets talked about. From KTSA to over here, I get told all of the time by people that they don't like or watch NASCAR, but they love to hear me talk about it. I guess because I do it from the FANS view and not as someone who reads the paper or watches sportscenter and then spouts off like I am a expert. My point though is we are trying to please the masses and not the few. If you want to talk PBA call in for crying out loud and let's talk it.

I know balls, and packages, and gay, and bathroom breaks may not be your deal, but it might be someone else's. We can't be afraid to go there though. For example yesterday we are talking UT basketball and Jason brings up Tennessee. He says Payton Manning was at the game. First thing that pops into my head (and this is sad) was his boyfriend or boy bud Kenney Chesney there with him? Kenney is a Tennessee boy and the two of them were inseparable there for a while. Then that led me to the other hot gay guy rumor tandom at one time Lance and Matthew. It did get back to UT basketball though right away. There is a bit of pop culture in every sports topic I think and that is what makes it fun and helps to bring maybe the not so gung ho sports fan in and feel just as at home as the nutjob with the face paint calling plays from a clipboard while sitting in their eazy boy lounger with the hat that holds two beers and poking nachos and peanuts down their throat would.

I hope this makes some sense. Thank you again though for your opinion and sharing it. :clap :downspin:

FromWayDowntown
02-26-2008, 12:17 PM
I think the thing that bothers me about the ZONE show is that every single time I seem to tune it in, I get nothing but nostalgia and very little current stuff.

I will readily admit that I'm not a wall-to-wall listener. But when I get in my car and flip back and forth between the two shows, I get this incessant stream of references to the 1970's on the ZONE show; in fact, I've yet to hear Chris Duel talk about anything that's currently going on in sports. I've heard him recite a list of San Antonio's "greatest sportscasters" and a spiel about George Gervin's CB, and a long reference to some obscure play in a 1979 Cowboys game and talk about Shaq as a high school basketball player, but nothing that really discusses things that are currently going on.

I have a soft spot for nostalgia, too, but not for incessant radio talk about it -- it reminds me a bit of Chris Farley's old SNL character and his unending "remember that time . . . ." questions. It may be all coincidence, but it's striking to me that my random encounters with that show have all been the same and have all been rather disappointing in that sense.

dawn
02-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Hmmmm...

That is just not accurate at all. We talk A LOT and MOSTLY about current stuff. Now Chris has followed the Spurs and Cowboys since he was a kid and he will go back and pull stuff for comparative purposes or because we get callers who bring it up or because the topic maybe related to it. The entire show yesterday was on Brent Barry, The Spurs/Hawks game, The NFL Combine, The Draft and Trade rumors, and UT Kansas St game.

This is how most of the shows have been. We get twice as many folks though who appreciate his knowledge of not just the current, but especially the past and the HISTORY of these two organizations. Again, I hear ya and I understand where you are coming from, but there is the BALANCE still we will try to meet.

grindmouse
02-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Will you pay me 900.00 cash if I let you hear the tape of his first 3 shows that prove you wrong?

Mr. GoGatos
are you going to agree on the terms posted earlier? I can lower the dollar amount if that will help.
I will supply you with the sound bite of Mike Taylor saying he is a Spurs fan for only 400.00 cash.

grindmouse
02-26-2008, 01:59 PM
And for the record, he never once stated he wasn't a mavs fan and has never said he roots for the Spurs.

That sound bite will cost you only 200.00 cash. Don't make me convert the radio tape to MP3 if your not serious.

MoSpur
02-26-2008, 01:59 PM
The Zone has been good. There is always talk about the Spurs when I am on my way home. I think its a good show. What's funny is that the show on the Ticket has been more about the Spurs since the Zone has come on. Tehy're even going to have Bruce Bowen on today from what I understand.

The Zone has had good guests on the show. I like it a lot so far.

Trainwreck2100
02-26-2008, 02:02 PM
The Zone has been good. There is always talk about the Spurs when I am on my way home. I think its a good show. What's funny is that the show on the Ticket has been more about the Spurs since the Zone has come on. .

That might have something to do with the zone debuting after the Super Bowl

MoSpur
02-26-2008, 02:08 PM
It might, but I think it has more to do with the other show being on now. Mike Taylor is not very good. He is very dull.

mouse
02-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Dawn I warned you and Chris about the first few weeks you will be under the microscope.

I told you not to use up a whole segment on Eva's fart comment. Your just giving the haters more ammo to use against you. All you have to do is have a steady flow of Sports info and humor and mix in some updates and scores.

If Tony Bruno can do it anyone can. All theses people who talk about wanting just pure sports has to keep in mind the show starts at 5PM you know dag gum well if your half the sports fan most of you claim to be you already heard all the shows.
You tune in around 7AM and some of you hear the Noon shows and the 3PM shows so don't act like when you get in your car at 5PM you have no idea the Spurs lost to the Mavs or that Shaq went to the Suns.

And if Humor and sports did not mix Tony Bruno and a whole lot of shows would have failed by now.

The Zone just needs to know how to mix the two in a way everyone is happy.

But I have learned in my years of talk radio you will never make everyone happy you just have to keep them listening.

GoGatos
02-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Actually Mouse, if you can find the tape of when Taylor said "I root for the Spurs," I'd be shocked. I actually work in radio, and therefore have no excess cash, but if I did, I'd be willing to pay you.

FromWayDowntown
02-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Hmmmm...

That is just not accurate at all. We talk A LOT and MOSTLY about current stuff. Now Chris has followed the Spurs and Cowboys since he was a kid and he will go back and pull stuff for comparative purposes or because we get callers who bring it up or because the topic maybe related to it. The entire show yesterday was on Brent Barry, The Spurs/Hawks game, The NFL Combine, The Draft and Trade rumors, and UT Kansas St game.

This is how most of the shows have been. We get twice as many folks though who appreciate his knowledge of not just the current, but especially the past and the HISTORY of these two organizations. Again, I hear ya and I understand where you are coming from, but there is the BALANCE still we will try to meet.

It's been my experience, so I don't know how you can say its inaccurate. I can see that the show might delve into other topics at various points in time, but everytime that I turn it on, I get Duel's self-indulgent walks down memory lane. Maybe I just have bad timing, but it's what I hear.

I can certainly see that a knowledge of history is helpful to establishing perspective, but it almost seems as if Chris is trying to say "See, I'm a real fan" by his insistence upon talking about the old days. Frankly, I've always thought that was a weak strategy for a talk show host and I'm probably more convinced of it than ever. I'd much rather listen to someone who's focus is on the here-and-now than someone who can't go 5 minutes without offering gushing platitudes about things that happened 30 years ago in what seems to be an overt effort to sell his fandom. If Chris wants to convince me that he's a fan, he should talk about things that matter right now. It may be that he's doing that on a regular basis, but it's just not happening when I turn on that show.

dawn
02-26-2008, 02:53 PM
It might very well be. Keep in mind also that this show has Chris who is the FAN, Jason who is more the X's and O's Guy and I chime in here and there. I tend to take more of the fan side, but I played ball all the way through college and with a lot of these guys locally and who are now in the NBA or have been so I will sound off every now and again from a player/coach perspective. The FAN is who Chris just is. We also bring in people who are experts and or current or past players. That way you get multiple opinions. I know we may not be your cup of tea all of the time, but I do appreciate you checking in when you do!!!

objective
02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
I understand that San Antonio is not really a market for my tastes.

Even though it's a two-trick pony of Spurs and Cowboys, I've never gotten the impression that there was that much enthusiasm from the listeners when it came to interacting. Callers from San Antonio don't appear much on the national shows either except the 1-5 am slots.

So the need to talk about mantalk and stuff and innuendo from innocent blurbs I can forgive a lot because if the fans were more varied and more enthusiastic about it then the shows would likely be different. But then again, chicken or the egg. Maybe if the shows were more analysis and information they would get those kinds of calls.

----

and as far as Spurs-centered talk goes . . . honestly, this board has much more in-depth meaningful discussion and rumors and information than either local show could hope to even match. So it's not like I go to the local shows for the best most complete Spurs discussion, I just use them as audio supplements for when I can't be online.

FromWayDowntown
02-26-2008, 03:48 PM
I understand that San Antonio is not really a market for my tastes.

I'm in the same boat, having spent a lot of time in the NYC metro area during the 1990's and having spent a lot of that time listening to the Fan. It's a very different kind of sports talk, even if some of the hosts are tools. Back then, there was very little discussion about anything beyond sports on those shows. There was a guy from Philly who had a slot on the Fan (Jody McDonald) who did a weekend show on pro wrestling and there was Imus, but other than those sorts of things, I don't recall much getting in the way of wall-to-wall sports. It took something really major (the start of the first gulf war in 1991 or the crash of TWA 800 in 1996) to change that. Beyond that, the hosts were extremely knowledgeable across the board and didn't kiss ass with callers. It made for good radio, because: (1) it was informative; (2) it stayed on point; and (3) it was entertaining as well. I don't generally get #1 and #2 in San Antonio because there seems to be an over-reliance (with frequent misses) on accomplishing #3. I suppose that's my biggest criticism with both STSA and the Duel show. I don't feel as though I learn anything from listening that I didn't already know and I rarely feel that there's a particular point to what I'm hearing, particularly with the portions of the Duel show that I've heard.

S_A_Longhorn
02-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Actually Mouse, if you can find the tape of when Taylor said "I root for the Spurs," I'd be shocked. I actually work in radio, and therefore have no excess cash, but if I did, I'd be willing to pay you.

I don't think he's ever said "I root for the Spurs", but he was constantly saying "I have to pay my mortgage so......Go Spurs Go!" when the show first started.

He is clearly a Mavs homer, tries to explain to us what Pop and the Spurs are all about, and then says "I have a mortgage to pay so......Go Spurs Go!".

Sorry but I can't listen to someone I have zero respect for. Support your team no matter who signs your check. Now, with Chris' show, they seem to interview more actual Spurs players and give away tickets more often. They never did that prior to the Zone.

mouse
02-26-2008, 05:45 PM

In that case maybe you can go to a ST gtg or meet me and Duel at a sports bar one day!
:toast

GoGatos
02-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Sorry but I can't listen to someone I have zero respect for. Support your team no matter who signs your check. Now, with Chris' show, they seem to interview more actual Spurs players and give away tickets more often. They never did that prior to the Zone.

We had been working with the Spurs to fix a relationship that was soured because of previous events (and well all know what we're talking about). It took a long time for them to even give us the time of day. The moment Mike Taylor come to town, they were willing to dialogue. After meeting him, they told us they would work with us again.

It's just coincidence that they happened to come around once Duel's show came on the air.

Trainwreck2100
02-26-2008, 06:38 PM
We had been working with the Spurs to fix a relationship that was soured because of previous events (and well all know what we're talking about). It took a long time for them to even give us the time of day. The moment Mike Taylor come to town, they were willing to dialogue. After meeting him, they told us they would work with us again.

It's just coincidence that they happened to come around once Duel's show came on the air.

That might have more to do with it being a different face then the the one's who got in trouble to begin with, then it being Mike Taylor

2centsworth
02-26-2008, 06:42 PM

thanks for reminding me how you guys figured out how to lose the Pop Show.