PDA

View Full Version : Popovich delays Duncan's return

TMTTRIO
12-12-2007, 01:42 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121207_SpursNotes.en.9220b0c.html
Pro basketball: Popovich delays Duncan's return

Web Posted: 12/11/2007 11:34 PM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

OAKLAND, Calif. — Nothing happened to worsen the sprain to Tim Duncan's right ankle on the Spurs' flight from San Antonio to San Francisco on Monday afternoon, but something changed Gregg Popovich's view on having him suit up for Tuesday's game against the Golden State Warriors.

Popovich called Duncan probable after practice Monday, but he changed his mind and kept Duncan in street clothes.

In fact, Popovich said it is doubtful Duncan will play against the Los Angeles Lakers on Thursday.

“He's probably doubtful for L.A.,” he said, “and we hope he will be likely for Saturday's game (against the Denver Nuggets at the AT&T Center).

“I just think he's not 100 percent, that's for sure. This early in the season, I'm not sure what the wisdom is in playing him when he's 75 or 80 percent.”

Duncan sprained his right ankle and suffered a bruised right knee in the first half of the Spurs' victory over the Portland Trail Blazers on Dec. 2.

Popovich said he rarely relents on such decisions, but he did allow Manu Ginobili to play against Dallas and Utah despite a swollen left (shooting) hand.

“If a player hounds me, I tend to go his way,” Popovich said. “But I need to be hounded first. That really tells me that person is really ready to play and not happy with my decision to not have him play. Manu did that, with his hand.

“Today, Timmy hasn't beaten me up at all, so I'm going to continue to sit him until he comes after me.”

Duncan ran wind sprints and did other conditioning work after the team's shootaround, showing no sign of a limp.

Still swollen: Ginobili is puzzled as to why his left hand is still swollen and sore, but has no plans to sit out any games.

“I don't know why (it is swollen),” he said.” It shouldn't be hurting, but the good thing is once it gets warm, after dribbling and shooting a lot, it gets better. But when I'm cold before games it is a little sore.”

Ripple effect: Warriors coach Don Nelson, one of Popovich's early mentors and one of his closest friends, feigned insult that Popovich didn't contact him after the Spurs arrived in the Bay Area on Monday afternoon.

“Is that the guy who hasn't even called me yet?” Nelson said when someone asked him a question about the Spurs' head coach. “The guy I'd been looking forward to having dinner with for a month and he hasn't called yet? Pop? Is that his name?

“I had a special bottle of wine. It was expensive, too. Not the usual bottle of Ripple.”

Popovich laughed about Nelson's indignation.

“It's true,” he said. “I did stiff him. I was trying to stay focused. I didn't want him to do to me what Avery did to me when we went to Dallas: keep me out so long, I couldn't see the next morning.”

“But I promises that when we come back (on Jan. 7) he can join us for dinner.”

hopefully Tim gets well and comes back soon. As we saw tonight we really missed him out there.

slayermin
12-12-2007, 01:46 AM
TD's gonna be out Thursday too? Early x-mas gift for Laker fan.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Well, if he sits out on Thursday, I hope he prepares the boys to play without him this time, because maybe they were also expecting Duncan to play today and weren't ready mentally.

Bynum might have a break out game. Hope Manu's shooting hand comes back too.

greens
12-12-2007, 02:02 AM
It sounds like Manu's hand is still sore...like it's bothering him...If that's the case, it really showed in today's game...he looked completely tired...

Why can Tim also hound Pop like Manu did...Cuz I want TD back in the game...

greens
12-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Excuses!!!

This article came out BEFORE the game...so I doubt the Spurs knew they were going to loose...lol.

greens
12-12-2007, 02:05 AM
:lol :lol :lol

More excuses...

Apparent;y it wasn't sore when he scored 37 points right???

Wussies!

Just cuz he got 37pts...it doesn't mean it wasn't sore...Some people can handle pressure...

And nope, no excuses...All I said was that is sounded like the hand was sore...and that he looked tired...I didn't say ANYWHERE that it was the REASON for him playing horribly in today's game...That the Spurs LOST because of this... :p:

anakha
12-12-2007, 02:12 AM
The reason he plays horribly sometimes is because he is an inconsistent streaky player...

Face the facts hoe!

Oooh, looks like louis discovered a new word today...

From 'bitch' to 'idiot' to 'hoe'? At least you're using some new insults for a change. :lol

anakha
12-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Best way to describe Spurs fans...

1-2

power ranger lover...

So you're happy about having a losing record on your bet so far? :lmao

T Park
12-12-2007, 02:20 AM
what a sad life...

His pocket protector must fit too tight...

anakha
12-12-2007, 02:27 AM
Well it won't be a losing record Thursday and the next 2 games after that.

Given your track record on guarantees, that just reassures me even more. :lol

porscha
12-12-2007, 03:05 AM
I think Timmy is determined to make the 11mil worth awhile :lol :lol :lol

poor manu looks tired. :sleep :sleep

tony...lost in the crowd for couple games already...is eva beating him up all night? he looks ....clueless :dizzy :dizzy :dizzy :wtf :wtf :wtf

polandprzem
12-12-2007, 03:35 AM
Hopefully Tim will return when playoffs starts

Dre_7
12-12-2007, 04:42 AM
I have no problem with resting Duncan. I want him at 100%. Missing a few games in Dec is not a big deal to me. Rest him as long as needed Pop. Besides, when SA is holding up their 5th LOB Trophy, no one will care about a few loses in Dec. :D

The III
12-12-2007, 07:09 AM
I will really looking foward to Jan. 17 and Feb. 13.

Thanks Lac-King-a-title23 , lets see what the cadeaverliers have changed since that pathetic attempt in June . Wake up bitch !

703 Spurz
12-12-2007, 10:46 AM
:lol :lol :lol

More excuses...

Apparently it wasn't sore when he scored 37 points right???

Wussies!

Like I said...

No more home cooking hoes!

We really need some air fresheners in here b/c the stench of dog shit always remains after you type your drivel up.

Bitch

Spurs Dynasty 21
12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't want to see TD back until January, too early in the season to be pushing anything

howbouthemspurs
12-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Anything Pop or Duncan decides is fine by me. I trust both their judgement. They've proven that they know what is the right decision time and time again.

101A
12-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Duncan will return after Phoenix has a couple game lead in the loss column. Pop wants some breathing room.