PDA

View Full Version : Game thoughts: Toros @ Vipers - Dec. 11, 2007

ChumpDumper
12-12-2007, 03:48 AM
Box Score (http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20071211/AUSRGV/boxscore.html)

Pretty much the best tip-to-buzzer Toros game I've had the pleasure of watching. This game had the hallmarks of a playoff game: shortened rotations, high emotions and big performances from the best players. It looked like the Vipers were going to run away with it early as their white-hot outside shooting got them as far as 13 points up in the first quarter. The Toros, however, met that and every subsequent Viper run with one of their own and then some, and ended up outscoring the Vipers in each remaining quarter.

- Each team had five players in double figures, and each team had three players score more than 20 points. The refs were pretty whistle-happy, but apparently not enough for Vipers coach Bob Hoffman, who went nuts over non-calls in the first and fourth quarters, earning two techs.

- Some things I saw from Ian seemed to hint at the specific parts of his game the staff is trying to develop. It looks like the big priority is staying in games, and tonight that meant stifling some of his defensive instincts. There were a couple of times early on when he seemed to force himself to keep his feet when one would normally see him jumping a couple of feet into the air to swat a shot. It worked pretty well, as he played 32 minutes and didn't foul out until the game was almost completely put away. He seemed to be much more aggressive late in the game. He didn't have great rebounding numbers. That was due mainly to the Vipers offense. Most of their shots were simple outside jumpers that led to long rebounds or penetrate-and-kick plays that would draw him out of rebounding position to help.

On offense, Ian got far more defensive attention than he would ever get in an NBA game, which led to a couple of his turnovers. He definitely got his share of touches though, and he made pretty sound decisions for the most part. His hook shot is still money, but his face up game is awful. He airballed two 15 footers. He's still a work in progress.

- Darius played his usual aggressive game, narrowly outperforming Aaron Brooks. Brooks couldn't defend him; Washington's size and strength were too much. In turn, Darius let his man drive past him a little too often. Brooks kicked out a lot more often than CJ Watson did on his drives, racking up assists while CJ went to the line 12 times. Washington is still turning the ball over too much, forcing a few unnecessary passes and getting one of two traveling calls. Still, the guy is fearless and makes things happen when it counts.

- Marcus got pulled a couple of minutes into the game when he took shots way too early in the clock. He was back in soon and ended up with an ok game despite shooting poorly. He continues to be the best position rebounder on the team, and he is quite good at disrupting passing lanes with his movement and length. He had his hands full defending Muoneke and Novak.

- DerMarr replaced Pittsnogle in the starting lineup and had an effective game even though his outside shot wasn't falling. He drove to the basket much more than in previous games and was rewarded with ten free throws. His defense wasn't terribly noteworthy except he disrupted the passing lanes like Marcus did. Come to think of it, that was probably the best aspect of the entire defense tonight. His rebounding remains really poor for a player his size, especially at this level. If Damone Brown can routinely pull down seven or eight boards a game, DerMarr can get a couple more too.

- Langford was really good from everywhere but the free throw line. He hit an awesome straight on three pointer to tie up the game at the halftime buzzer. His ability to put up big numbers with or without the presence of Washington may get him some more consideration from NBA scouts, but it's becoming clear he will probably cash in on his performances somewhere -- maybe sooner than later.

- Cheyne Gadson was much more comfortable this time around. He shot 2 of 3 from the arc and 4 of 5 inside it. Even though he played the majority of his minutes alongside Washington, he did his share of directing the offense and did it pretty well. He did throw the ball away a couple of times so badly it looked silly, but he's still learning where his teammates are and where they like the ball, so that could get better.

- Eric Dawson was pretty good in his limited minutes. He's an aggressive defender and shotblocker (looked like he had two blocks that weren't counted). It looks like he may have supplanted Pittsnogle's place in the rotation at least temporarily, but the Vipers' relatively small lineup may have had something to do with that. At any rate, Kevin was largely invisible this game. Justin Bowen was in street clothes and walking with a limp resulting from an ankle turn Saturday night.

- Our best lineup tonight was Washington/Gadson/Langford/Johnson with either Ian or Dawson at center. One of the things that bothered me in crunch time happened when Ian fouled out. Instead of replacing him with Dawson, Coach Snyder stuck with subbing in Williams, who had been waiting to check in for who knows whom. That left Johnson at center with four guards which was quickly exploited. Fortunately, the mistake was realized and that linuep didn't last long. The other thing that bugged me was the fact that Washington and Langford weren't running enough clock while they were ahead late. I'm sure they'll hear about that when they watch the tape.

This nitpicking can't take away from the quality of this win. If this team is kept together, they could really roll.

P.S. - Thanks to spursincharge and the Vipers/Dodge Arena staff for helping us enjoy the evening to the fullest.

timvp
12-12-2007, 05:06 AM
Very nice job :tu

Looks like my of the same out of the Toros. The three things that have me most worried are Washington's turnovers, Mahinmi's lack of rebounds and Mahinmi's continued foul trouble. Each of those traits are pretty big roadblocks when it comes to fulfilling their potential.

polandprzem
12-12-2007, 06:02 AM
I see the spurs as a team without future.

can anybody see a pure talent out there?

mahinmi and d-wash got a lot work to do , and even though they will work hard we have no idea if they are gonna be the guys who could lead the spurs in 3,4,5 years from now

Bruno
12-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the report.
So Austin lead the D-League.
If Toros are qualified for the playoffs, do you think that Spurs will let Mahinmi and Washington with Toros or will they called them up to play nba garbage games that end up sometimes the regular season ?
With Toros having 3 quality SF and Pittsnogle being "so-so", it looks like Mahinmi will mainly play center. What do you think is the best for his development : playing PF or playing C ?

polandprzem
12-12-2007, 06:41 AM
For the development - C

Get him into the fight under the basket as much as you can.

In NBA I would rather have him playing PF

Bruno
12-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Hi, poland. :toast

Don't worry about Spurs having no future. Just enjoy the present. Even if Spurs suck for 10 years after Duncan retirement, you would have been blessed to have been a fan of a team that has won 4 and hopefully more titles.

polandprzem
12-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Hi, poland. :toast

Don't worry about Spurs having no future. Just enjoy the present. Even if Spurs suck for 10 years after Duncan retirement, you would have been blessed to have been a fan of a team that has won 4 and hopefully more titles.
I know I'm blessed.

The only noturious good thing in my life are the spurs.

This year I'm taking being a fan into a diferent level.
I'm proud as hell!

I'm proud of them all.

:sombrero:

ChumpDumper
12-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the report.
So Austin lead the D-League.
If Toros are qualified for the playoffs, do you think that Spurs will let Mahinmi and Washington with Toros or will they called them up to play nba garbage games that end up sometimes the regular season ?There was some obscure rule I still don't quite understand that kept some assignees that were moving back and forth from participating in the playoffs. I think enough people like Cuban bitched about it so I don't expect it to be an issue this year. I think many coaches and GMs really want assignees to participate in playoff situations for the experience, and I would probably count the Spurs as thinking the same way. If there are no injuries, it shouldn't be a big deal.

With Toros having 3 quality SF and Pittsnogle being "so-so", it looks like Mahinmi will mainly play center. What do you think is the best for his development : playing PF or playing C ?On offense, his face-up game needs the most work -- but that's relative. It all needs work. He has only one NBA-level post move he pulls off with any regularity.

Defensively, it's all going to depend on matchups. There are only like three decent traditional low-post big men in the league. He already shut down Elton Brown pretty well and Ian will meet Brown again this week as well as Lance Allred, so that will be a pretty good test of his post defense. Weakside help defense is probably going to be his strong suit in the NBA, and he has and will continue to be tested every game by the quality guards that attack the basket relentlessly in this league. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ian spend a fair part of next season in the Austin as well if the Spurs are intent on making him more than a spot minute player.