PDA

View Full Version : Saudi's Building Largest Oil Refinary in Texas

Nbadan
12-12-2007, 04:04 AM
...so much for can't do it because of pesky U.S. environmental laws and unrealized long-term costs - American companies can't do it, but the Saudis can....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/12-07/1211motiva.jpg
Work continues at the existing Motiva plant during the
ground-breaking ceremony for the refinery’s expansion in Port Arthur.

Foreign oil companies building Texas-size refinery in Port Arthur
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
By ELIZABETH SOUDER and JIM LANDERS / The Dallas Morning News

Two foreign companies broke ground Monday on construction of the largest oil refinery in the U.S. in the Gulf Coast town of Port Arthur.

Motiva Enterprises LLC, owned by Royal Dutch Shell and Saudi Aramco, will invest $7 billion to expand an existing refinery.

That's the biggest capital investment Texas has ever received, and it comes at a time when refiners are enjoying fat profits, state officials said.
Motiva refinery in Port Arthur, Texass

Some U.S. refiners are shy about expanding at home, where demand for fuel grows slowly. Instead, they're building overseas, where the appetite for fuel is more ravenous.

"We are the largest producer, the U.S. is the largest consumer" of oil, said Abdulaziz al-Khayyal, senior vice president, industrial relations, for Saudi Aramco, the kingdom's national oil company.

"We've always made a decision to be present in a significant way in all major markets," he said.

Saudi Aramco is also building refineries outside of the U.S., but the Port Arthur project is massive.

The expansion will more than double the capacity for the existing refinery to 600,000 barrels a day. It will make enough fuel to fill about 700,000 cars a day. The project should be finished in 2010.

The Port Arthur project will surpass Exxon Mobil Corp.'s facility in Beaumont, currently the largest U.S. refinery.

National oil companies such as Saudi Aramco are building refineries and expanding existing ones for several reasons. Iran, Iraq and Venezuela are trying to build refineries to meet domestic demand and lessen imports of gasoline.

Earlier this year, Saudi Aramco teamed with Exxon Mobil and Sinopec to announce a plan to triple capacity at the Fujian refinery in China to 240,000 barrels a day.

Dallas News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/121107dnbusrefinery.2894c91.html)

Clearly, it's not that it can't be done, but rather that American oil companies have no vested interest in increasing refinery capacity in the U.S. when they can build them in India and China and make a lot more money....

Twisted_Dawg
12-12-2007, 05:34 AM
"We are the largest producer, the U.S. is the largest consumer" of oil, said Abdulaziz al-Khayyal, senior vice president, industrial relations, for Saudi Aramco, the kingdom's national oil company."

I guess that makes us their bitch?

Extra Stout
12-12-2007, 09:32 AM
:lol This is one of dan's more ignorant threads. There has been an absolute boom in refinery expansion projects in the U.S. that has strained the supply of skilled workers in the petroleum/chemical industries to the breaking point.

Ongoing/planned refinery expansions in the United States -- a partial list

Chevron - Pascagoula, MS
BP - Whiting, IN
BP - Toledo, OH
Valero - Norco, LA
Marathon - Garyville, LA
Marathon - Detroit, MI
Marathon - Kentucky
Arizona Clean Fuels - Yuma, AZ
Citgo - Corpus Christi, TX
ConocoPhillips - Rodeo, CA
ConocoPhillips - Billings, MT
ConocoPhillips - Wood River, IL
Murphy - Superior, WI
Big West - Bakersfield, CA
Tesoro - Los Angeles, CA

Extra Stout
12-12-2007, 09:35 AM
P.S. On each and every one of those projects, there are liberals trying to stop it.

01Snake
12-12-2007, 10:31 AM
: There has been an absolute boom in refinery expansion projects in the U.S. that has strained the supply of skilled workers in the petroleum/chemical industries to the breaking point.

Your damn right there is!! We've got clients in the field who simply can't keep up with the demand.

JoeChalupa
12-12-2007, 10:44 AM
P.S. On each and every one of those projects, there are liberals trying to stop it.

I'm sure it is not only liberals.

xrayzebra
12-12-2007, 11:47 AM
:lol This is one of dan's more ignorant threads. There has been an absolute boom in refinery expansion projects in the U.S. that has strained the supply of skilled workers in the petroleum/chemical industries to the breaking point.

Chevron - Pascagoula, MS
BP - Whiting, IN
BP - Toledo, OH
Valero - Norco, LA
Marathon - Garyville, LA
Marathon - Detroit, MI
Marathon - Kentucky
Arizona Clean Fuels - Yuma, AZ
Citgo - Corpus Christi, TX
ConocoPhillips - Rodeo, CA
ConocoPhillips - Billings, MT
ConocoPhillips - Wood River, IL
Murphy - Superior, WI
Big West - Bakersfield, CA
Tesoro - Los Angeles, CA

Uh-Oh! Dan wipe the egg off your face or should I say
do you smell something. I think Dan stepped in it.
:lol :lol :lol

BonnerDynasty
12-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Hope it doesn't hurt the fishing.

01Snake
12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Hope it doesn't make the beaches nasty. oh wait, they already are.

boutons_
12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Perhaps this new refinery will not pollute, not be pathogenic, not be odoriferous. I get every single home owner here would go NIMBY against any refinery proposed in their neighborhood.

http://www.refineryreform.org/News_TXMonthly_080103.html

Of course, if any class of sick people went after a refinery owner, they'd be crushed in court by the refiner's legal resources. Exxon is still fighting/not-paying the Valdez spill.

An advantage of the Motiva refinery is that my friends in 20-miles-away Beaumont tell me the housing market when from flaccid to very tight this year.

The Gulf Coast beaches were polluted with oil tar decades ago by the off-shore drilling. We had to clean our skin with gasoline after swimming in the surf. If you got that oil tar on your swimming suit, just throw it away.

MannyIsGod
12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Cleaning your skin with gasoline to get tar off sounds really fucking weird.

GO DAN GO!

Gotta love the Spurstalk Political Poster of THE YEAR!

JoeChalupa
12-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I use body wash.

Nbadan
12-12-2007, 04:22 PM

How many of these expansion projects are doubling capacity and surpassing the largest existing refinery in the U.S.? Yeah, that's what I thought......

xrayzebra
12-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Perhaps this new refinery will not pollute, not be pathogenic, not be odoriferous. I get every single home owner here would go NIMBY against any refinery proposed in their neighborhood.

http://www.refineryreform.org/News_TXMonthly_080103.html

Of course, if any class of sick people went after a refinery owner, they'd be crushed in court by the refiner's legal resources. Exxon is still fighting/not-paying the Valdez spill.

An advantage of the Motiva refinery is that my friends in 20-miles-away Beaumont tell me the housing market when from flaccid to very tight this year.

The Gulf Coast beaches were polluted with oil tar decades ago by the off-shore drilling. We had to clean our skin with gasoline after swimming in the surf. If you got that oil tar on your swimming suit, just throw it away.

Who cares so long as I can drive my SUV and be
confortable. That is what Gore and I say. I will plant
a tree or two next year. I will plant one for you if you
will pay me.....

Nbadan
12-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Cleaning your skin with gasoline to get tar off sounds really fucking weird.

GO DAN GO!

Gotta love the Spurstalk Political Poster of THE YEAR!

....the resident troll is back....

Manny's just mad cause his weather shtick is tired and he's got no more game....

Maclovio Manny
12-12-2007, 04:54 PM
....the resident troll is back....

Manny's just mad cause his weather shtick is tired and he's got no more game....

Did he ever have game? He just rode my coat tails.

Nbadan
12-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey, if John Honore can do the weather, how much talent can that take?

Extra Stout
12-12-2007, 05:19 PM
How many of these expansion projects are doubling capacity and surpassing the largest existing refinery in the U.S.? Yeah, that's what I thought......

Clearly, it's not that it can't be done, but rather that American oil companies have no vested interest in increasing refinery capacity in the U.S. when they can build them in India and China and make a lot more money....

Having been pantsed, you of course need to change your argument.

More stats:

All U.S. capacity increases under construction and planned through 2012:
Motiva (Anglo/Dutch/Saudi venture): 370,000 bpd
Other foreign-based refiners: 55,000 bpd
American-based refiners: 1,643,000 bpd

The actual totals will be higher; some projects don't have available capacity data yet for their projects.

(Source: Reuters)

Nbadan
12-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Having been pantsed, you of course need to change your argument.

More stats:

All U.S. capacity increases under construction and planned through 2012:
Motiva (Anglo/Dutch/Saudi venture): 370,000 bpd
Other foreign-based refiners: 55,000 bpd
American-based refiners: 1,643,000 bpd

The actual totals will be higher; some projects don't have available capacity data yet for their projects.

(Source: Reuters)

How many of those 'American based refiners' are refining oil for gasoline consumption in the U.S. again?

01Snake
12-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Keep moving that goalpost Dan

Nbadan
12-12-2007, 06:00 PM
In 1981 there were 324 refineries in the U.S. with an output of 18.6 million bpd and which were collectively operating at 70% capacity...Since 1981, 175 refineries have closed leaving the U.S. with 149 refineries with a total capacity of 17.3 million bpd...so all the oil industry is really doing is rebuilding capacity that they disabled due to constriction...

scott
12-12-2007, 06:44 PM
How many of those 'American based refiners' are refining oil for gasoline consumption in the U.S. again?

Nearly all of them, Dan. The numbers ES provided were for expansion projects by US-based refiners in the US.

The United States is an import market for gasoline. Are you suggesting that the US is building refining capacity so it can export gasoline to other markets? Where did you come up with this notion?

In 1981 there were 324 refineries in the U.S. with an output of 18.6 million bpd and which were collectively operating at 70% capacity...Since 1981, 175 refineries have closed leaving the U.S. with 149 refineries with a total capacity of 17.3 million bpd...so all the oil industry is really doing is rebuilding capacity that they disabled due to constriction...

This is true. A lot of refineries closed, namely because they were not profitable to operate. That is what low-to-negative gross margins will do to a business. The reason there are so many expansion projects is because there is the lure of profits. By the way, Valero alone has expansion projects in the works larger than Motiva's in Port Arthur.

You are off-base in Yonivore-like proportions on this one (which is only a step higher than being off-base in AHF-like proportions).

scott
12-12-2007, 06:47 PM

I would say the opposite is true. "Announced refinery expansion" projects usually come to fruition at a 30% rate. There are more than 1.6 MMBPD of projects out there (can't remember off the top of my head), but not even half of them will be actualized. Still will be significantly more than Motiva's, however.

Nbadan
12-13-2007, 01:52 AM
The United States is an import market for gasoline. Are you suggesting that the US is building refining capacity so it can export gasoline to other markets? Where did you come up with this notion?

That's not what I'm saying at all....what I am saying is that oil refineries operate at very high capacities now, something in the 90% on average in order to meet demand ...that means any additional capacity that does come online will just barely keep up with the increase in future demand...so were never really getting ahead but just barely keeping up...the Motiva plant helps us get ahead of the game at least for the moment...

....the Motiva plant is built, not 'planned' and when it starts operating, it will be the largest refinery in the U.S...lowering the U.S. consumers vulnerability to unexpected refinery break-downs and 'unavoidable situations'....

scott
12-13-2007, 08:50 AM
That's not what I'm saying at all....what I am saying is that oil refineries operate at very high capacities now, something in the 90% on average in order to meet demand ...that means any additional capacity that does come online will just barely keep up with the increase in future demand...so were never really getting ahead but just barely keeping up...the Motiva plant helps us get ahead of the game at least for the moment...

....the Motiva plant is built, not 'planned' and when it starts operating, it will be the largest refinery in the U.S...lowering the U.S. consumers vulnerability to unexpected refinery break-downs and 'unavoidable situations'....

If that's the way you want to spin it, go right ahead, but it only serves to lessen your credibility with anyone who knows anything about the market you speak of.

The Motiva plant isn't built. It is in the process of "being built". There are a number of other refinery projects that are also in the process of being built that significantly outnumber the Motiva plant in terms of barrels per day they will add to the US refining system. In the end of this process, the US will be long refining capacity, especially as alternative fuels mandates act as effective reductions in the demand for gasoline.

The Motiva plant, in addition to all the other refinery expansions, serve to "lwer the US consumers vulnerability to unexpected refinery break-downs". You can't just cherry-pick which ones are sustaining and which ones put the system "over-the-top". They are all responding to the same economic incentive. Motiva just happens to being doing there expansion in one location, where a company like Valero (with expansion projects cumulatively larger than Motivas) has them spread out geographically (helpful to folks in California, who don't see any benefit from a refinery expansion in Louisiana). Cherry-picking, like you are doing, is like saying the taxes everyone else pays go to fund worthless pork, while the taxes only you pay go to serve noble purposes. It's just plain silly.

My advice to you is to give up on this wild goose chase while you still have a shred of dignity.

MannyIsGod
12-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Dan has dignity? WTF?

Extra Stout
12-13-2007, 11:03 AM
But... but... somebody on a left-wing blog pointed this out to Dan! If you can't trust Daily Kos, who can you trust?

Nbadan
12-13-2007, 02:17 PM
...Seems to me Stout's just sore because he got taken to school...that said, I will defer this round to our resident oil expert Scott...although in this post 911 world, I think that gas is of vital national security interest to our country...I mean, lets get serious, you want to decapitate the U.S. economy, hit the refineries....So, yeah, I have a problem with 'cost margins' being at play to a commodity that is so important to our economy....and yes, I have a problem with oil companies raising prices on consumers every time they run into operational problems or 'unexpected surges' in consumption...

xrayzebra
12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
...Seems to me Stout's just sore because he got taken to school...that said, I will defer this round to our resident oil expert Scott...although in this post 911 world, I think that gas is of vital national security interest to our country...I mean, lets get serious, you want to decapitate the U.S. economy, hit the refineries....So, yeah, I have a problem with 'cost margins' being at play to a commodity that is so important to our economy....and yes, I have a problem with oil companies raising prices on consumers every time they run into operational problems or 'unexpected surges' in consumption...

Uhhh, who go taken to school dan?

You are one cool dude. You throw enough post some
are bound to stick. I use the word post loosely.
And then want the appearance of the resident expert in
all matters.......gotta hand it to you.

Extra Stout
12-13-2007, 02:38 PM
I don't mind being corrected by scott, who knows what he is talking about in fine detail. But it was really funny for you to say that American oil companies aren't doing any expansions, when I have at least one headhunter per week calling me about a refinery expansion job in one of about 14 states.

But thank you for finally being honest about your agenda. You think the oil industry should be nationalized.

boutons_
12-13-2007, 02:46 PM
"the oil industry should be nationalized."

turn about is fair play.

The oil industry has already privatized the govt (as in purchased it), so that the govt will not seriously support non-oil alternatives.

When the industry retools every fucking year, it's takes 13 more years to get to 35 MPG? GMAFB

================

May 24, 2007

Oil Industry Says Biofuel Push May Hurt at Pump

By JAD MOUAWAD (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/jad_mouawad/index.html?inline=nyt-per), NT Times

Gas prices are spiking again

And some oil executives are now warning that the current shortages of fuel could become a long-term problem, leading to stubbornly higher prices at the pump.

They point to a surprising culprit: uncertainty created by the government’s push to increase the supply of biofuels like ethanol in coming years.

In his State of the Union address in January, President Bush called for a sharp increase in the use of biofuels, along with some improvement in automobile fuel efficiency to reduce America’s use of gasoline by 20 percent within 10 years. Congress is considering legislation calling for a nearly fivefold increase in the use of ethanol.

That has forced many oil companies to reconsider or scale back their plans for constructing new refinery capacity.

In hearings before Congress last year, oil executives outlined plans to increase fuel production by expanding existing refineries. Those plans would add capacity of 1.6 million to 1.8 million barrels a day over the next five years, for an increase of 10 percent, according to the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association.

But those plans have since been scaled back to more than one million barrels a day, according to the Energy Information Administration, an arm of the federal government.

“If the national policy of the country is to push for dramatic increases in the biofuels industry, this is a disincentive for those making investment decisions on expanding capacity in oil products and refining,” said John D. Hofmeister, the president of the Shell Oil Company. “Industrywide, this will have an impact.”

The concerns were echoed in a recent report by Barclays Capital, which said the uncertainty about the ethanol growth “will do little to accelerate desperately needed investment in complex United States refining units.”

“Indeed, it is likely to deter and further delay investment, if not rule out many refinery investments completely.”

Even so, the current cost of gas which in real terms is approaching the old peak of $1.42 a gallon in March 1981, or $3.31 adjusted for inflation has renewed suspicions that the oil industry is looking for ways to keep profits high by delaying much-needed investments. Senator Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York, began hearings yesterday on the topic “Is Market Concentration in the U.S. Petroleum Industry Harming Consumers?”

And the House voted yesterday by a narrow margin to penalize any oil companies, traders or retailers found to be charging “unconscionably excessive” prices for gasoline and other fuels. President Bush will probably veto the measure because the White House has said such legislation would amount to price controls.

Experts point to many short-term reasons the United States is running low on gasoline, causing prices to rise: many oil companies are doing maintenance work on refineries; new federal rules make fuels cleaner but costlier; and a string of delays, fires and accidents in the industry have reduced supplies just when drivers are starting to hit the road for summer vacations. Many analysts predict prices will keep rising, then soften later in the summer as demand trails off.

Energy executives dismissed any suggestions that they were intentionally keeping gasoline off the market.

The oil companies say their views on the longer-term prospects for fuel reflect simple economics. Because of the enormous investments required to expand refineries, they say they have no other choice but to re-examine their plans in light of the calls for more ethanol fuel, regardless of how realistic they may be.

“The policy environment has shifted dramatically,” said Mike Wirth, head of global refining business for Chevron. “There is a great risk that has been introduced to projects, predicated upon increasing supplies, that the demand may not be there.”

Refineries are a choke point in the nation’s supply of fuel. Because they have not invested enough in refineries to increase gasoline supplies, oil companies have been unable to meet the country’s growing demand in recent years. That has forced them to rely on imports, which are more expensive than fuel refined domestically.

The fragility of the refining system became apparent after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005. At the time, President Bush offered to reopen some military bases as sites for constructing refineries and Congress passed legislation to encourage refiners.

But oil companies rejected the idea of constructing new refineries in the United States, saying it would be impractical and too expensive.

As a result of the push for biofuels, and encouraged by federal subsidies and grants, dozens of ethanol distilleries are being planned. These investments should double the annual production of ethanol from corn to 15 billion gallons by 2012 from about 6 billion gallons today.

But given farmland constraints and the need to use corn for food, that is as much ethanol as can possibly be produced from corn, according to the ethanol industry’s own calculations. Ethanol producers recognize that it is not clear how an additional 20 billion gallons of ethanol President Bush has called for 35 billion gallons of biofuels by 2017 would be produced from cellulose or biomass.

“The current thinking is that based on today’s technology, we suspect corn-based ethanol will generate at least 15 billion gallons,” said Brian Jennings, the executive vice president of the American Coalition for Ethanol, an association of ethanol and corn producers. “Beyond that, it’s uncertain. The marketplace will make that determination on where it will come from.”

Yet some members of Congress would like to make the president’s goal for biofuels a mandatory target the equivalent of 2.3 million barrels a day that would, in effect, create an ethanol industry roughly the size of world-class oil producers like Kuwait or Nigeria.

The economics of cellulosic ethanol, made from nonfood crops and agricultural waste, are also unclear. Since cellulosic ethanol, still at an experimental stage, is twice as expensive as corn-based ethanol, there are currently no commercial-scale cellulosic plants.

Lawrence Goldstein, an energy analyst at the Energy Policy Research Foundation, an industry-financed group, has been warning for nearly a year that the government’s twin goals of encouraging refiners to increase production and promoting increased supplies of biofuels work against each other.

“These two policies are not complementary,” Mr. Goldstein said. “These policies are in conflict.”

In addition, Mr. Goldstein said, an emphasis on ethanol might lead to increased volatility in fuel prices.

“If we get a bad corn crop, we will end up paying for it at the pump and on the food shelves,” he said. “We are not buying security. We are increasing volatility.”

Clay Sell, the deputy secretary of energy, acknowledged the concern, but said that rising energy consumption meant both biofuels and additional refining capacity would be needed in the long term.

“One can think that these goals are potentially in conflict,” Mr. Sell said. “But demand growth supports the need for investments in biofuels and growth in refining capacity. Are we concerned about it? Yes. But do we believe these concerns are well founded? No.”

Until the mid-1990s, the United States had significant spare refining capacity. But because of consolidation in the industry, the number of refineries declined while unprofitable operations were shut. As demand grew, however, and capacity remained flat, the picture changed. In recent years, refineries in the United States have been running at or close to full capacity.

Domestic refineries can now process about 17.5 million barrels of crude oil each day, much of it imported. But with consumption now close to about 21 million barrels a day, more imports of refined products are also needed.

In recent weeks, refiners point out that they have been increasing output: gasoline production in the United States is at its highest level ever, 8.85 million barrels a day.

Also, by increasing output from existing refineries, oil companies say they have expanded their production by 200,000 barrels a day since last year. Expansion of existing plants has added the equivalent of 10 new refineries over the last 10 years.

The refining industry has also spent vast amounts more than $50 billion in the last 10 years to meet requirements to produce cleaner fuels, according to the American Petroleum Institute, the industry’s main trade group.

But demand is outstripping supply. In the first three quarters of the year, gasoline use grew by 2 percent, nearly twice last year’s pace. Domestically produced supplies, though, have increased by only 0.5 percent a year on average.

Some consumers, meanwhile, are trying to drive less or are simply absorbing the higher cost. “I’m already driving the minimum,” said Dennis Zygnowicz, 51, of Garden City, Mich., who recently stopped at a Shell station and paid about $12 to put less than four gallons in his GMC Jimmy. “The only way I could do any less would be to ride a bike.”

Another driver, Tamar Bittelman, a kindergarten teacher from Berkeley, Calif., says her daily commute gives her little choice. “It’s unbelievable to me how much I’m paying for gas,” said Ms. Bittelman, who recently paid $3.56 a gallon to fill her 1998 Subaru Legacy wagon. “I’m just much more aware of how much every trip to the grocery store is costing us.”

Lisa Alcalay Klug and Nick Bunkley contributed reporting.

scott
12-13-2007, 06:33 PM

So what is your solution, that we subsidize oil companies so that they can earn normal rates of return on their dollars invested? Or that they are nationalized and subsidized by tax payers? Neither sounds particularly attractive, since (as you've already stated) we have the refining capacity coming online to meet anticipated future demand.

Second...

I have a problem with oil companies raising prices on consumers every time they run into operational problems or 'unexpected surges' in consumption...

It's basic supply and demand, what exactly is your complaint?

scott
12-13-2007, 06:41 PM
And for the record, my intention is not to "school" anyone (and I'm unaware of any at ES's expense)... just clear up the facts. This is only one of three subjects I know anything about, so I'm able to contribute. ;)

LaMarcus Bryant
12-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Manny has no punch as a one-line cynic. He needs to revert to Manny 2005 IMO. Remember the halcyon days of Manny 2002-4? Gone, those days are. :pctoss

BTW, Saudis doing business in Texas is nothing new.

BradLohaus
12-13-2007, 08:29 PM
BTW, Saudis doing business in Texas is nothing new.

That's what I was thinking too.

Holt's Cat
12-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Partisanship makes you stupid.

Nbadan
12-14-2007, 01:06 AM
So what is your solution, that we subsidize oil companies so that they can earn normal rates of return on their dollars invested? Or that they are nationalized and subsidized by tax payers? Neither sounds particularly attractive, since (as you've already stated) we have the refining capacity coming online to meet anticipated future demand.

Why do you guys always have to play the Nationization card? Not only would that be unsound economic policy, it would also be rather futile in these ole' United States....what I want is some sort of protection for the consumer...I'm not particularly sure what that should be, but preferably it would start a sound national energy policy that doesn't involve invading other countries to soak up their resources, and I'd also over-stress energy conservation and efficiency, especially by automobiles, even subsidize it, but absent that in the current administration...I'm kinda leaning toward the windfall profit tax, but I would only institute it on profits over a certain percentage over market price...for instance gas has gone up 100% just since Dubya came into office.....instead of lining the pockets of greedy CEO's, at least 35% of that increase paid by consumers should have gone to a windfall profit tax that funded alternative energy, light-rail in major cities, and the creation of a Manhattan style project, with some of the greatest minds in the world, that worked to solve the nations long-term energy needs - absent oil....

Nbadan
12-14-2007, 01:46 AM
ut it was really funny for you to say that American oil companies aren't doing any expansions, when I have at least one headhunter per week calling me about a refinery expansion job in one of about 14 states.

At least $1 per every gallon sold in the U.S., billions and billions of dollars, is added on profit because the U.S. grab for oil in Iraq and its saber-rattling toward Iran has destabilized the world energy market...that's led to Venezuela and Russia nationalizing their energy resources..(i.e...market inefficiency)...so on top of putting the war in Iraq on our kids credit card, consumers are paying at the pump for the Neocon's over-reach in the Middle East...

...the Bush administration has had 6 years to deal with this problem, instead their energy policy has made it far worse, by 2012 we may or may not need added production capacity (probably will with toll roads, but that's another story)...

MannyIsGod
12-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Dude you ask for a windfall profits tax then you complain about market inefficiency in the next post? You're all over the place and inconsistent as hell.

Nbadan
12-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Dude you ask for a windfall profits tax then you complain about market inefficiency in the next post? You're all over the place and inconsistent as hell.

Nah, I just don't want all the money going to the oil comps. from something the oil industry doesn't want either, prices above a certain equilibrium, but if they have to happen, then lets do something productive with the money so that we're just not repeating history and expecting a different result...

Nbadan
12-14-2007, 02:48 AM
..and now this: Bush Petro coins (http://blimptv.blogspot.com/2007/12/new-bush-coins.html)

scott
12-14-2007, 04:39 PM
And that will end my 2007 participation in the Politics Forum. See ya next December. I'll leave you with this, Dan-o.

http://intercodes.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/atlas_shrugged_cover.jpg

Wild Cobra
12-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Let's face it Dan. You once again, like XRay says, just throw posts to see what sticks.

I really wish you would do some homework and find the truth behind this propaganda you constantly regurgitate.

Here's the deal. If you want to stop buying and supporting a Saudi company in the USA, then petition people to stop buying oil from Shell stations!

SouthernFried
12-15-2007, 12:22 PM
"Nah, I just don't want all the money going to the oil comps...but if they have to happen, then lets do something productive with the money"

Anyone who doesn't want oil money...going to oil companies, is completely insane.

Like saying..."Food is vital to our national economy...but, I don't want any windfall profits from food producing companies going to food producing companies. I want some of it!"

wtf??

boutons_
12-15-2007, 01:02 PM
"oil money...going to oil companies, is completely insane."

US Govt should tax transport fuels into the $5 - $7 range, indexed to inflation with the tax revenues reserved for energy conservation. This would keep 100s of $Bs in windfall profits out of the hands of oilcos and into the US treasury.

The demand for transport fuel would drop, dozens of transport alternatives would become viable. And the US could quit wasting $Ts invading and occupying for decades other countries with oil.

WTF are oilcos getting $15B in insane tax breaks and subsidies every fucking year? Because the oilcos own enought (Repug) legislators, not because the oilcos need the welfare.

SouthernFried
12-15-2007, 02:38 PM

SouthernFried
12-15-2007, 02:41 PM
US Govt should tax transport fuels into the $5 - $7 range, indexed to inflation with the tax revenues reserved for energy conservation. This would keep 100s of $Bs in windfall profits out of the hands of oilcos and into the US treasury.

Couldn't have defined liberal and government greed better than this statement.

Classic

boutons_
12-15-2007, 02:55 PM
bullshit, the "free market" is no longer free, if it ever were outside of academia, but is now fully gamed by the corps to their advantage.

The ONLY countervailing power available to restrain cors is govt. But govt itself is corrupted by the corps, so the situation is hopeless. Guess who gets fucked in corp vs individuals? But keep on fantasizing about free markets, invisible hands, and the benefits of corps.

SouthernFried
12-15-2007, 03:21 PM
bullshit, the "free market" is no longer free, if it ever were outside of academia, but is now fully gamed by the corps to their advantage.

This is too good.

Actually business's using the free market to their advantage. :lol

Spoken like a person who has no concept of free markets...or of freedom itself.

And if you hadn't noticed (like most liberals)...it's the governments who own the corporations...not vice versa.

Ask any tobacco company, Oil Company, Microsoft, IBM, ad nauseum.

Government sues and taxes/fines the shit outta them. It owns them, and they have to kneel down at the altar, or die horribly at their hands. Govt sucks these companies like the monster leech from alpha centauri.

And that goes for any small company...as well as you and me. Our government runs the largest extortion racket in the world. And people like you are it's biggest supporters.

Blindness, ignorance, or stupidity. Or even if it's the greed of a true idealist. Liberals are fascilitators of the biggest theives in World History.

xrayzebra
12-15-2007, 03:26 PM
^^Microsft is a prime example of that. They didn't
play the political game so Uncle Sugar took a little
action against them. Now the play big time. Or should
I say pay big time to the two parties.

SouthernFried
12-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Hell...the govt sued IBM for a monopoly. Took 10 yrs, and 1 billion dollars of IBM money. And when the evil, "non-existent" Free market actually catapulted companies like Microsoft, Apple, et. al...into leadership roles...the government dropped it's suit.

"Oh, sorry about that!"

"Microsoft...come here!"

Dont fucking tell me who owns who. Our government owns all. You think SEARS could shut down the Government? Hell, no. You think our government can shut down Sears? Hell, yes.

Who would you fear more owing money to? Walmart? Or the IRS?

Now tell me who has the real power here?

"evil corporations" my ass.

Nbadan
12-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Blindness, ignorance, or stupidity. Or even if it's the greed of a true idealist. Liberals are fascilitators of the biggest theives in World History

That's....facilitators and thieves...yes, it's much better for the poor to pay their meager earnings than collect it from rich corporations....

SouthernFried
12-15-2007, 04:10 PM
yes, it's much better for the poor to pay their meager earnings than collect it from rich corporations....

Wow, if you think this...your too far gone for any rational conversation on politics or economics.

How about the Spurs? Is Duncan gonna play tonite?

Phenomanul
12-15-2007, 04:29 PM
The Saudis actually construct and design more reliable refineries because their capital project hurdle rate is much higher than where most American Oil Refiners place theirs.

What this means is that where an American refiner would build a heat-exchanger out of carbon steel (bare minimum requirements - one of the cheapest metallurgical specifications); the Saudis will build it with Stainless. They 'gold-plate' their projects and add whatever contingencies are needed to keep the refineries running. Truth be told they are more frugal with their money because they can aford to be.

As for some of these expansions in the U.S., many of them are stay-in-business moves to meet the Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel specifications which will come into effect in 2009. The Gasoline/Diesel shift is also changing due to the higher margins on Diesel of late. Also, some of the upcoming crude expansions amongst U.S. Refiners won't really be adding the same ratio of barrels of refined products per barrel of crude into the market. Why? Because some of those 'expansions' will be procuring and processing 'shale-oil' which doesn't produce as much products on a volume basis.

Wild Cobra
12-15-2007, 11:04 PM

The demand for transport fuel would drop, dozens of transport alternatives would become viable. And the US could quit wasting $Ts invading and occupying for decades other countries with oil.

Bouton's, here is another time I don't think you have a clue of what the truth is.

First of all, doesn't the industry pay enough in taxes already? Even with the tax breaks they get, the indistry pays more than their fair share of taxes

Isn't that enough taxes, or are you one that believe companies and individuals should be glad they get to keep what the government lets them?

Quarter ending Sept 2007:

Exxon:

$7.35 B Taxes
$9.41 B Net Income

Cheveron:

$3.682 B Taxes
$5.380 B Net Income

ConocoPhillips:

$2,691 B Taxes
$3.673 B Net Income

Nbadan
12-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Wow, if you think this...your too far gone for any rational conversation on politics or economics.

The working poor may not pay much in Federal income taxes, but they still pay State sales tax, property taxes (included in rents), and other misc. fees (hidden taxes)....

Nbadan
12-16-2007, 01:34 AM
How about the Spurs? Is Duncan gonna play tonite?

Yes.

Nbadan
12-16-2007, 01:44 AM
And that will end my 2007 participation in the Politics Forum. See ya next December. I'll leave you with this, Dan-o.

Considering you've likely posted more in our forum than any other forum this year, we feel honored Scott...too bad you have to go though, I wanted to float some ideas by you concerning, the possible replication of the petroleum atom, cleaning the oceans and rebuilding coral reefs using nano-technology, and a invisible body-armor suit that protects you against everything from the common cold to HIV....but I guess it will have to wait till next December...

SouthernFried
12-16-2007, 02:39 AM
The working poor may not pay much in Federal income taxes, but they still pay State sales tax, property taxes (included in rents), and other misc. fees (hidden taxes)....

And trout are fish...oaks are trees...and the Spurs have won 4 championships.