PDA

View Full Version : A Real Christmas Miracle

12-12-2007, 08:25 PM
My father has had a major stroke.

I got a call from my mom about 1400 today that something happened to Chief while he was working out at the Concord (gym). They couldn’t/wouldn’t say what happened other than that he was being transported by EMS and she wanted me to meet her at the hospital. They were at first going to take him to NE Baptist, where I first went, but after seeing his condition they rerouted and took him to Methodist.

I get to Methodist first and the doctor grabs me up and it’s time for “Let’s sit in this room with the door closed” bad kind of discussions. He tells that Chief has had a massive stroke, the entire right side of his body is paralyzed, his tongue does not function and he cannot speak. He is home upstairs, has been conscious the entire time, and understands and communicates by squeezing his left hand. He has a blood clot on the left side of his brain (Very bad) and it is centered in some area that controls motor functions (Very very bad).

I ask the doc to bottom line me on what were looking at and he says with the paralysis, a wheel chair, maybe therapy to learn to get some mobility out of his right arm, and if were lucky he can get his tongue to work so he can learn to swallow again and not have to be fed by a tube. Going to need a live in nurse to help take care of him, make the house wheelchair friendly, etcetera, etcetera.

So, then doc goes on to talk about an experimental drug they can give him that can work to thin the blood and open vessels in tightly targeted areas, but about 1-2 in 5 people blow their blood vessels and die from it.

Mom gets to the hospital, gets the same talk, and we decide to go ahead with the drug (If he’s even a candidate) as Chief would rather pay his nickel and take his chances than basically be an invalid.

By this time I really need to take a leak and head off to the bathroom, splash a little water on my face, shake myself and realize this is really happening and it’s time to saddle up and get my shit together for the long haul.

I get back to the room and the doc is on his cell and says Chief’s body flushed the clot and he has regained a little feeling in his arm and leg.

So, things are looking up.

I won’t bore you with the details of waiting for him to be wheeled upstairs from the MRI/CAT scanning floor, but when they wheeled him back into his ER room, he had his arms propped behind his head, his feet crossed, and wanted to know why I was there and not at work.

Oh yea, and where was the bathroom because he needed to pee.

The docs can’t explain it, they said that folks don’t recover like that from this sort of episode.

I can’t explain it either, but I know that he didn’t dodge a .22 but a 155mm howitzer.

Basically, he’s just like he was before he stroked. He now has to take some kind of blood thinner medication that he doesn’t want to, but after my mom got in his face and I did as well using certain words and phrases that he can understand, he decided that it would be in his best interest to take it.

They’re going to keep him at Methodist for a couple of days and run who knows how many tests, but he should be home soon.

My brain is still trying to wrap itself around what exactly what went on today.

I think I’ll have a cold beer, and raise a glass to whomever or whatever was watching over Chief today.

mrsmaalox
12-12-2007, 08:43 PM
You all have been truly blessed!

Shelly
12-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Wow, Mark! I am so glad he's okay! Cheers to your dad and may he continue with a healthy recovery.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Awesome story! Glad your pops is alright

Mr. Peabody
12-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Wow! I am sure this experience will make the holidays that much more special for your family. Great story.

timvp
12-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Nice story. Hopefully 1368 can continue toward his full recovery.

DannyT
12-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Pops sounds like a real soldier and he still wants to fight the war.....good shit chief

ShoogarBear
12-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Back in the bunk.

:tu

ShoogarBear
12-13-2007, 01:01 AM
The key thing is your dad was able to get to the hospital within 3 hours from the time of his stroke. After that time, the clot-busting medications can't be given.

Still, to have a stroke that big with complete recovery, and that quick, is almost unheard of.

duncan228
12-13-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm glad for your father and your family.
I hope his recovery continues and you are able to have a wonderful Christmas together.

Your experience shows us that there is a higher power watching over us all.
Thanks for sharing it with us, your ST family.

12-13-2007, 01:18 AM
The key thing is your dad was able to get to the hospital within 3 hours from the time of his stroke. After that time, the clot-busting medications can't be given.

Still, to have a stroke that big with complete recovery, and that quick, is almost unheard of.

I honestly think after talking to the folks at the Concord the fact that they were able to give him aspirin immediately after his "episode" made a difference.

The docs were talking that it may have been TIA, but my weak google-fu doesn't find anything lasting as long as he had.

And thank you all for the kind words.

ShoogarBear
12-13-2007, 01:27 AM
I honestly think after talking to the folks at the Concord the fact that they were able to give him aspirin immediately after his "episode" made a difference.

The docs were talking that it may have been TIA, but my weak google-fu doesn't find anything lasting as long as he had.

And thank you all for the kind words.Aspirin helps to prevent clots, but it shouldn't really have the ability to break up new clots. Usually aspirin is started 24 hours after clot busters are given.

The symptoms do sound supiciously more like a TIA, where complete recovery can happen much more quickly . But I've never heard of a TIA that big.

In any case, glad things worked out.

iminlakerland
12-13-2007, 05:27 AM
I have chills as we speak, I am so glad he is okay, and that your family can enjoy this blessing. May you guys relish and savor this new chance you guys have with one another!

Xolotl
12-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Glad to hear he's doing better somebody up there is really watching out for him

mrsmaalox
12-13-2007, 08:12 AM
1369, hope all is well, please give us an update as soon as you are able!

desflood
12-13-2007, 08:40 AM
So happy to hear that all is going so well. Keep us updated!

Taco's Troll
12-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Good to hear he's doing better

God Bless

JoeChalupa
12-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Hope all is well.

BacktoBasics
12-13-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm relieved this all worked out for the better.

CubanMustGo
12-13-2007, 11:10 AM
A Christmas your family will never forget - congratulations!

samikeyp
12-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I think I’ll have a cold beer, and raise a glass to whomever or whatever was watching over Chief today.

I go to lunch in abuot 45min....I think I will do the same. :tu

marini martini
12-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Glad you all will have a special Christmas with the Chief. Probably the best gift you will have. Congratulations!