PDA

View Full Version : Duncan and Parker both listed as doubtful against Lakers

TMTTRIO
12-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Pro basketball: Duncan upgrades playing status
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121307_SpursNotes.en.e3f3581.html
Web Posted: 12/12/2007 11:25 PM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES — Tim Duncan, the Spurs' two-time MVP power forward, said he expected to play in both games of the team's road trip, which began with a thud at Golden State and continues tonight against the Los Angeles Lakers.

“That's why I got on the plane, honestly,” Duncan said.

Duncan was scratched after he struggled in Tuesday morning's shootaround, with coach Gregg Popovich declaring him doubtful for tonight's game as well, because of continuing problems with a sprained right ankle and bruised right knee.

Now All-Star point guard Tony Parker has been added to the “doubtful” list for tonight's game at the Staples Center.

A team spokesperson said Parker continues to have problem with a sprained right ankle, an injury he suffered in Minnesota on Nov. 30. Parker has made only 19 of 50 shots in the past three games, and Popovich may want to give him one or two games off to get the ankle back to full strength.

Duncan hinted he might pester Popovich to allow him to suit up against the Lakers tonight.

“I don't like the word ‘doubtful,'.” Duncan said. “I'd rather step it up to ‘questionable.' It goes ‘doubtful, questionable, probable' and then nothing, right? So I'll go with questionable.”

Duncan said he is fighting fatigue as much, or more so, than pain now.

“Fatigue is still a factor, not only wind-wise, but in my leg,” he said.

Ginobili human: Turns out Manu Ginobili is not a cyborg programmed to dominate games in Duncan's absence.

After scoring 37 points in each of the first two games Duncan missed with his injuries, Ginobili struggled mightily Tuesday night.

Though he scored 13 points, he needed 14 shots to get them. He also committed five second-period turnovers, contributing to the Spurs' collapse and their fourth loss of the season.

“Eighty-two games, and people are people,” Popovich said. “They're not machines. That's going to happen once in a while.”

Not surprisingly, Ginobili was not nearly as kind in self-assessment as Popovich was in speaking about his off night.

“I turned it over because I wasn't ready to play,” Ginobili said. “That is the way to understand it. My job is to bring solutions from the bench. (Tuesday), I brought problems.

“I didn't do my job. I contributed to my team playing bad. I turned the ball over five times in the first half, and that seems impossible against them. All I can say is I was not ready.”

Hopefully Manu has an awesome game tommorow night after the night that he had the other night and with Tim and Tony possibly both out. I wonder if he's going to start then.

Thompson
12-13-2007, 01:02 AM
If Tony is really out someone please, please tell me they called up Darius today and he's ready to play.

timvp
12-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Duncan and Parker out? That's an early Christmas present for the Lakers.

Oh well. Get well soon.

P.S.

Might as well rest Manu while they're at it.

timvp
12-13-2007, 01:06 AM
If Tony is really out someone please, please tell me they called up Darius today and he's ready to play.He's probably on a plane to Los Angeles as I type this.

E20
12-13-2007, 01:08 AM
Anybody remember that game on November 11th 2003? Tim and Tony were both injured and out. Manu led a bunch of scrubs composed of Shane Heal and Kevin Willis to double OT against the Lakers Fab Four? I cried when they lost. :depressed

jman3000
12-13-2007, 01:09 AM
P.S.

Might as well rest Manu while they're at it.

i agree... might as well give all 3 of them a game or 2 to heal up those nagging injuries. i dont like the fact that manu is still having problems with that hand... pinch it in the bud before it becomes something we have to worry about later.

we have the luxury of being able to drop a couple of games in the sake of health and still have the best record in the west. especially after the way phx and dallas have been playing lately

m33p0
12-13-2007, 01:11 AM
there was alot of complaint from the lakers camp about the gift the spurs sent to golden state. i think pop just wants to even the score.

anyway, this is a season long move to get the warriors and lakers into the playoffs and send them against the mavs and the suns, respectively.

:lol

theroc5
12-13-2007, 01:13 AM
are you serious....why did duncan even come on this trip....ahhahaha
o well, dallas lost tonight :p:
anyways....
We will get to see manu carry this team on his back once again...and if he in anyways does well and some how pulls off a win...then i demand he is on the allstar team this year.
hes avg. like 21 5 5 or something like that right now

DazedAndConfused
12-13-2007, 01:13 AM
The reason why the Spurs are so dominant is because there aren't really any teams that can stop Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli. Usually they can put the clamps on 1-2 of the 3, but one of them is gonna go off and score points on any given night.

The Lakers have never really had much of a problem with Duncan. Kwame does a decent job defending him and usually Duncan is a non-factor when compared with Manu and Parker.

The one Spurs player that has consistently killed the Lakers is Tony Parker. They have absolutely no answer for his penetration in the lane which lead to kickouts for wideopen 3's. You take Parker out of the game and the Lakers probably win.

BonnerDynasty
12-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Manu and Bonner will carry this team.

sa_kid20
12-13-2007, 01:16 AM
Anybody remember that game on November 11th 2003? Tim and Tony were both injured and out. Manu led a bunch of scrubs composed of Shane Heal and Kevin Willis to double OT against the Lakers Fab Four? I cried when they lost. :depressed
Yeah i was at that game and Manu was simply awesome that game even though he missed a shot at the buzzer that coulda won the game. I was pissed when we lost and damn i don't think i've ever hated at team more than the 03-04 Lakers! :ihit

freemeat
12-13-2007, 01:19 AM
If Tony is really out someone please, please tell me they called up Darius today and he's ready to play.

If Tony was just declared "doubtful" in the middle of a two-game road trip after having played the first, I doubt they'd fly in Darius from Austin (on a day's notice) to play one game. It would be cool, but I doubt it'll happen.

I think we'll see this game being played with either Barry or Vaughn starting at point (and the other sharing minutes) and have Darius join the squad when they return to San Antonio, should Tony miss another game or two.

The Spurs are pretty banged up right now, but are still 17-4. It seems like Pop is thinking he has a little "breathing room" right now and wouldn't mind using this portion of the season to let his guys get back into form.

Remember: they went the majority of last season at full or near-full strength before rounding into playoff form.

I'll take a losing streak (or whatever it may be) now if it means we can have a decently healthy rotation.

On the bright side, doesn't Finley usually play better when he gets more minutes? Seems like it might be time to predict a "break-out-of-that-funk game" or two for him.

DazedAndConfused
12-13-2007, 01:21 AM
If Tony was just declared "doubtful" in the middle of a two-game road trip after having played the first, I doubt they'd fly in Darius from Austin (on a day's notice) to play one game. It would be cool, but I doubt it'll happen.

I think we'll see this game being played with either Barry or Vaughn starting at point (and the other sharing minutes) and have Darius join the squad when they return to San Antonio, should Tony miss another game or two.

The Spurs are pretty banged up right now, but are still 17-4. It seems like Pop is thinking he has a little "breathing room" right now and wouldn't mind using this portion of the season to let his guys get back into form.

Remember: they went the majority of last season at full or near-full strength before rounding into playoff form.

I'll take a losing streak (or whatever it may be) now if it means we can have a decently healthy rotation.

On the bright side, doesn't Finley usually play better when he gets more minutes? Seems like it might be time to predict a "break-out-of-that-funk game" or two for him.

There is no reason for the Spurs to risk injury to any of their star players this early in the season. The Spurs have a big enough cushion that they can afford to drop a few games right now to get everyone healthy again. Still, can't be too complacent because the WC is like the Wild West right now. Spots 3-8 are wide open for anyone to grab at this point.

duncan228
12-13-2007, 01:24 AM
As long as whoever is playing leaves it all on the floor I'll take whatever the outcome is.
Just bring the effort and energy and it will be okay.

If Pop thinks it's wiser to hold Duncan out another game (or more) that's okay with me.
And Parker has looked like he can use some down time to heal as well.

It is what it is.
This team will be fine.
Let's get it all out of the way in time for the RRT and SPAM.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-13-2007, 01:31 AM
If our three point shooting is on, we MIGHT have a chance without Tony and Tim.

We need Bruce to put the clamps on Kobe.

Bynum will eat us alive.

ChumpDumper
12-13-2007, 01:37 AM
I guess it depends on whether the Spurs think they need to shut down Parker for anything more than one game. This Toros' schedule from Friday through the first week of the January will be provide very nice competition for Darius:

3 games vs. Colorado (Eddie Gill?)
3 games vs. Tulsa (Ramon Sessions)
2 games vs. RGV (Aaron Brooks and CJ Watson)
1 game vs. Idaho (Taurean Green and Randy Livingston)
1 game vs. Utah (Gabe Pruitt and Kevin Kruger)

If we are calling him up to play regular minutes in three or four games to rest Parker fully, great. But blowing a call-up just to see if he might replace Parker for one game doesn't sound like something the Spurs would want to do. I hate the call-up limits more than anyone, but that's how it is for now.

duncan228
12-13-2007, 01:39 AM
...why did duncan even come on this trip....

Duncan came on this trip because he is this team's captain.

He was possible to play in both of these games.
He was shooting on the floor for 35 minutes before shoot around at the Warriors, then Pop decided to sit him.

If he can fly without risk of swelling or furthur damage to his ankle he belongs with his team.
Even if he doesn't play.

freemeat
12-13-2007, 01:53 AM
Bynum will eat us alive.

Eh...Any combo of Oberto/Horry/Elson/Bonner can deal with that guy.

The Lakers are 8-2 when Bynum has 12+ points and 6-4 when he has less.

All those games where he had 12+ came against teams like the Suns, Bulls, Pacers, Bucks, etc. There was no defense involved.

If the Spurs can "contain" that crazy-ass animal they call Andruw Bynum, they might...just might have a shot at winning.

:hungry:

ShoogarBear
12-13-2007, 01:55 AM
Don't matter.

http://www.vatsaas.org/rtv/misc/notrocs/red_rocket_amber.jpg

Kori Ellis
12-13-2007, 01:57 AM
Wait .. Parker's injured?

I thought I was called a dumb bitch earlier today for saying he was injured :rolleyes

duncan228
12-13-2007, 02:03 AM

I thought I was called a dumb bitch earlier today for saying he was injured :rolleyes

You were, but none of us believed it so it doesn't count! :lol

Cry Havoc
12-13-2007, 02:06 AM

They didn't mean really injured. They meant kinda fake injured. C'mon, get your act together, Kori. :lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-13-2007, 02:08 AM
Eh...Any combo of Oberto/Horry/Elson/Bonner can deal with that guy.

The Lakers are 8-2 when Bynum has 12+ points and 6-4 when he has less.

All those games where he had 12+ came against teams like the Suns, Bulls, Pacers, Bucks, etc. There was no defense involved.

If the Spurs can "contain" that crazy-ass animal they call Andruw Bynum, they might...just might have a shot at winning.

:hungry:
Yeah, maybe Horry and Oberto can exploit his youth. We'll see. Hopefully it's a fun game to watch regardless. Maybe the Golden State Warrior loss was a blessing in disguise.

ChumpDumper
12-13-2007, 02:08 AM

Pffft. Leave it to a reporter to believe a "news" story.

jman3000
12-13-2007, 02:10 AM
bynum is a stud. i have no doubt he'll eat up whatever we throw at him. i know for sure that his length has given duncan trouble in the past.... i see no reason why it would be different for our obert/elson combo.

mystargtr34
12-13-2007, 02:28 AM
The entire league gives Duncan trouble by the looks of it:lol. Theres always a player on every team that 'bothers' Duncan.

DazedAndConfused
12-13-2007, 03:02 AM
I've noticed a pretty big drop-off in Duncan's play this season. He doesn't seem to be nearly as effective against quality big-man defenders. He's still a great player, but this season he's not playing at a HOF level at all IMHO.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-13-2007, 03:34 AM
The Spurs better beat the Lakers. I hope TD and TP are going to play Saturday :smokin

Although the Nuggets aren't 100% healthy either but hopefully it will be a good game on saturday

WalterBenitez
12-13-2007, 05:05 AM
No TD, No TP ... we are done!

Bruno
12-13-2007, 05:10 AM
So, Parker has played for two weeks with a sprained ankle and he will sit now for one or two games. It's kinda strange.
I wouldn't be that surprised to see both playing today.

Kori Ellis
12-13-2007, 05:15 AM
My guess is that Tim will play and Tony won't.

But that's just a guess.

Dre_7
12-13-2007, 05:22 AM
Rest wheover needs it. Its Dec!

TheAuthority
12-13-2007, 05:50 AM
That fuck Popobitch better not be doing this shit just so he can lose games and not coach the ASG. I wouldn't put it past him. Not at all.

xapatan2
12-13-2007, 06:29 AM
My guess is that Tim will play and Tony won't.

But that's just a guess.

information on the sport french newspaper "l'equipe" this morning :

"Parker is suffering from his ankle and just wait for the return of Tim Duncan to take a bit rest"

The correspondant of "l'equipe" has usually good insight relations with TP.

Xap'

Mister Sinister
12-13-2007, 07:40 AM
That fuck Popobitch better not be doing this shit just so he can lose games and not coach the ASG. I wouldn't put it past him. Not at all.
:rolleyes Oh, yeah, you're a Spurs fan alright.

melo061
12-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Laker fan here.

I'm actually not afraid of Timmy during the regular season. We have guys who can size up with him during the regular season, we shut him down last time. Don't really care if he plays or not.

Parker is a different story. If you haven't noticed, our pg defense is porous. Fisher is just too slow to keep up with Tony. He torched our pg's last time out and because of his penetration Bruce bowen got too many 3's. Hopefully he isn't playing because we need to get all the wins we can get.

beirmeistr
12-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Yeah i was at that game and Manu was simply awesome that game even though he missed a shot at the buzzer that coulda won the game. I was pissed when we lost and damn i don't think i've ever hated at team more than the 03-04 Lakers! :ihit

That's one of my favorite games because, even though the Spurs lost, manu rose to the occasion and scored a career high (at that time) 33 points. He played a brilliant game against "the Fantastic Four" and fought thru 2 overtimes.

Man In Black
12-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Since I don't live in SA, I made it a point to get on a plane and make that magical game my first ever at then-SBC Center. Manu played just straight up guard, the bounce pass to Horry between Kobe's legs is still memorable.

LakeShow
12-13-2007, 10:32 AM
....why did duncan even come on this trip....

Are you serious? California? LA? :danceclub

m33p0
12-13-2007, 10:37 AM
duncan wanted to play for the warriors game. that's why he's on the plane. i wouldn't be surprised if pop sits out tony for the lakers game. i bet his ankles are killing him.

Sportcamper
12-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Melo61- Are you really a Lakers fan...DFISH owns TPARK...Bynum & his private tutor scares the bejeezus out of Duncan...Ginibilli can not guard Odom...Bowen will have his lunch handed to him by Sasha...Jack is the best 6th man in the NBA ...AND the Lakers Dance team are just plain HOT!

http://espn.go.com/photo/2006/1119/nba_g_bynum_jabbar_395x265.jpghttp://img.fannation.com/upload/truth_rumor/photo_upload/29555/full/jacknicholsongolfDoug_Benc.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/sac_dan_305x350.jpg

nkdlunch
12-13-2007, 11:47 AM
they both should rest. more manu magic to watch on national tv tonight for me

SouthernFried
12-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Manu's banged up too. If he plays and tries to carry the whole load...

Hell, they shoulda kept both MANU and PARKER on the bench at Golden State. Subs were doing better anyway.

Fast start was good. The injuries resulting because of it aren't.

Rest everyone.

boutons_
12-13-2007, 12:47 PM
If Tim and Tony don't play, will Jerry Buss dress up in a chicken suit like the punk owner from Phoenix?

BonnerDynasty
12-13-2007, 12:52 PM
If Tim and Tony don't play, will Jerry Buss dress up in a chicken suit like the punk owner from Phoenix?

lol when did that happen? Or has he "threatened" to do it come Monday?

That'd be pretty funny.

Budkin
12-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Not going to be pretty tonight but rest is needed for these guys.

AnotherArgie
12-13-2007, 02:54 PM
...AND the Lakers Dance team are just plain HOT!

http://www.nba.com/media/sac_dan_305x350.jpg

That's the Sacramento Dance Team...

ArgSpursFan.
12-13-2007, 04:06 PM
shit,they´re still hot,who cares the team they´re dancing for.

bdictjames
12-13-2007, 04:08 PM
LOL OWNED

Sportcamper
12-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Did I get the guys for Andrew Bynum & Kareem correct?

Barbarian
12-13-2007, 04:44 PM
:owned

greens
12-13-2007, 06:19 PM
It really sounds like it will be a good idea to just rest the Big Three..all of them have had injuries...after all, it is just December...I'd hate to think that Manu would have to carry the entire team against Lakers with a bad left shooting hand(it's still sore)...Why make it worse? If Tim/Tony are definitely not playing...then unless Manu scores another 37 pts and the rest of the team plays like crazy, I don't know if the Spurs can beat the Lakers...

THEN again, at this point, I would not be surprised if Manu plays like he did vs Utah/Dallas...then there is a chance...